GPRS, GPS and Java...? - Handheld

This is a discussion on GPRS, GPS and Java...? - Handheld ; Hi, I'm looking for a device. I think the device I'm looking for is an IPAQ 65XX, but I cannot find enough documentation to be certain. If anyone else has any better ideas, I'd like to hear them. What I ...

  1. GPRS, GPS and Java...?

    Hi, I'm looking for a device. I think the device I'm looking for is an IPAQ
    65XX, but I cannot find enough documentation to be certain. If anyone else
    has any better ideas, I'd like to hear them.

    What I need is a highly portable device programmable in Java which can
    update a remote server with position information in real time. I also need
    either Bluetooth or a serial/USB port. The IPAQ 6515 ought to be perfect.
    However I can't find confirmation that the Java implementation on the IPAQ
    6515 can access the GPS module. Does anyone know?

    ;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

  2. Re: GPRS, GPS and Java...?

    No popular handheld devices have a decent Java implementation.

    DataGet® & PocketLog® www.dataget.com
    Data Collectors www.baxcode.com

    "Simon Brooke" wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm looking for a device. I think the device I'm looking for is an

    IPAQ
    > 65XX, but I cannot find enough documentation to be certain. If anyone else
    > has any better ideas, I'd like to hear them.
    >
    > What I need is a highly portable device programmable in Java which can
    > update a remote server with position information in real time. I also need
    > either Bluetooth or a serial/USB port. The IPAQ 6515 ought to be perfect.
    > However I can't find confirmation that the Java implementation on the IPAQ
    > 6515 can access the GPS module. Does anyone know?
    >
    > --
    > simon@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    >
    > ;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a

    thumb.

  3. Re: GPRS, GPS and Java...?

    Baxter wrote:
    > No popular handheld devices have a decent Java implementation.
    >
    > --
    > DataGet® & PocketLog® www.dataget.com
    > Data Collectors www.baxcode.com
    > baxters right but the jornada 720 has java keybord and i got mine for 150with windows media player an i wirrless capibal
    >

    > "Simon Brooke" wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm looking for a device. I think the device I'm looking for is an

    > IPAQ
    > > 65XX, but I cannot find enough documentation to be certain. If anyone else
    > > has any better ideas, I'd like to hear them.
    > >
    > > What I need is a highly portable device programmable in Java which can
    > > update a remote server with position information in real time. I also need
    > > either Bluetooth or a serial/USB port. The IPAQ 6515 ought to be perfect.
    > > However I can't find confirmation that the Java implementation on the IPAQ
    > > 6515 can access the GPS module. Does anyone know?
    > >
    > > --
    > > simon@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    > >
    > > ;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a

    > thumb.

  4. Re: GPRS, GPS and Java...?

    in message <1160929032.950429.66150@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    Joeywolfgram@gmail.com ('Joeywolfgram@gmail.com') wrote:

    > Baxter wrote:
    >> No popular handheld devices have a decent Java implementation.

    So much for going to Usenet for information. The IPAQ has two decent Java
    implementations - both by IBM, but $5.99 a pop I'm not complaining; and
    yes, the Personal Profile one at least can talk to the built in GPS. So
    I'm getting there.

    >> baxters right but the jornada 720 has java keybord and i got mine for
    >> 150 with windows media player an i wirrless capibal
    >>

    >> "Simon Brooke" wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I'm looking for a device. I think the device I'm looking for is an

    >> IPAQ
    >> > 65XX, but I cannot find enough documentation to be certain. If anyone
    >> > else has any better ideas, I'd like to hear them.
    >> >
    >> > What I need is a highly portable device programmable in Java which can
    >> > update a remote server with position information in real time. I also
    >> > need either Bluetooth or a serial/USB port. The IPAQ 6515 ought to be
    >> > perfect. However I can't find confirmation that the Java
    >> > implementation on the IPAQ 6515 can access the GPS module. Does anyone
    >> > know?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > simon@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    >> >
    >> > ;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a

    >> thumb.

    ;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

+ Reply to Thread