Req: Basic help for pda newbie - Handheld

This is a discussion on Req: Basic help for pda newbie - Handheld ; Thanks in advance for any help that can be rendered here. Just purchased a Dell Axim running Windows Mobile 5. One thing has me curious and one thing has me stumped. The easy question has to do with antivirus. I ...

  1. Req: Basic help for pda newbie

    Thanks in advance for any help that can be rendered here.

    Just purchased a Dell Axim running Windows Mobile 5. One
    thing has me curious and one thing has me stumped.

    The easy question has to do with antivirus. I use Nod32 on my
    pc and was wondering if it would be sufficient to scan the
    installation programs before installing them on the handheld.
    Or do you really need a seperate AV on the handheld?

    The other question will seem really dumb, (and rightfully so) but
    I've never owned a handheld so I don't know. I'm confused about
    which type of software will work for the handheld. Most download
    sites use the term 'Pocket Pc'. Does this term refer to all
    handhelds in general? Or is Pocket Pc another operating system
    for another type of handheld? What confuses me even more is
    when I see 'Pocket Pc 2002 or 2003'. Can I install any Pocket Pc
    software on my Axim?

    Any info would be greatly appreciate - thanks.
    Mike

  2. Re: Req: Basic help for pda newbie

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:47:46 GMT, "Mike P" wrote:

    >Thanks in advance for any help that can be rendered here.
    >
    >Just purchased a Dell Axim running Windows Mobile 5. One
    >thing has me curious and one thing has me stumped.
    >
    >The easy question has to do with antivirus. I use Nod32 on my
    >pc and was wondering if it would be sufficient to scan the
    >installation programs before installing them on the handheld.
    >Or do you really need a seperate AV on the handheld?

    I don't think anyone has seen Pocket PC viruses in the field, so you
    don't need any antivirus software. At least not yet.

    >The other question will seem really dumb, (and rightfully so) but
    >I've never owned a handheld so I don't know. I'm confused about
    >which type of software will work for the handheld. Most download
    >sites use the term 'Pocket Pc'. Does this term refer to all
    >handhelds in general? Or is Pocket Pc another operating system
    >for another type of handheld? What confuses me even more is
    >when I see 'Pocket Pc 2002 or 2003'.

    You are not the only person confused; Microsoft has made this more
    complicated than needed, and has changed names several times. Pocket
    PC is defined by Microsoft, and is a "platform" based on the Windows
    CE operating system; a "platform" is base operating system with some
    tweaks plus some required applications plus hardware specifications.
    Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Windows Mobile 5 for
    Pocket PC are different versions of the platform. For more info, see
    http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317
    http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/versions.htm

    > Can I install any Pocket Pc software on my Axim?

    Not quite.

    The original Pocket PC supported several types of CPUs, so users
    needed to know the type of CPU they had. Starting with Pocket PC 2002,
    only ARM-compatible CPUs are supported, so CPU is no longer a problem,
    unless you are looking at old software.

    Some older programs have no trouble running on newer versions of the
    platform, and some have many problems. Usually, a program either works
    or doesn't, with no ambiguity.

    Many installation programs run on the "desktop" (other end of
    ActiveSync) and choose the right CAB (installation) file or say the
    program won't work.

    So you're almost certainly safe trying programs, unless you need to
    pay or leave valuable info first, or don't have time.

    >Any info would be greatly appreciate - thanks.

    Check the www.microsoft.pocketpc newsgroup. Also, check Chris De
    Herrera's web site at:
    www.pocketpcfaq.com

    >Mike

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Req: Basic help for pda newbie

    Robert, I can't thank you enough man. That was the
    info I was looking for. When customizing my order
    on Dell's site, purchasing Norton Antivirus was an
    option. That's why I was curious about that.

    The info about programs either installing or not (safely)
    was cool too. Didn't think about asking that till after
    I sent my first post. Life is good.

    Thanks a bunch for the links too.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread