PDA with usb host support - Handheld

This is a discussion on PDA with usb host support - Handheld ; Hi, I was looking for a PDA with USB host controller so that I can connect a USB dongle that could be recognized by it. Also are there any PDA's that anybody has come across wwith RS232 support. I know ...

  1. PDA with usb host support

    Hi,

    I was looking for a PDA with USB host controller so that I can connect
    a USB dongle that could be recognized by it. Also are there any PDA's
    that anybody has come across wwith RS232 support. I know that we can
    use the serial port of the PDA that is used for Active-Sync. However
    since that is proprietary, is there any way i could get a standard
    serila port output. Is there any third party hardware/software that
    could be used for this conversion.

    We currently have USB device that connects to a PC and gets recognized
    as serial port device. This USB device emulates a serial device. Now I
    would like to know if there are any PDA's that would allow me to
    connect this USB device( I could change the firm ware to behave as USB
    rather than emulate a serial device). Alternatively i could also change
    the design to a serial port if there are any PDA's that would allow
    serial communication.

    The TDS recon is one such PDA...but it way too expensive.

    Any input is welcome.

    Thanks in advance

    Regards,
    Swaroop Shekar

  2. Re: PDA with usb host support

    I recently purchased a Toshiba PocketPC e355 that is supposed to support USB
    Host - I haven't actually tried it yet.

    Most of the PDAs that support USB Host are ruggedized, industrial units and
    quite expensive.

    You may need special drivers - my USB device does come with WinCE drivers.

    DataGet® & PocketLog® www.dataget.com
    Data Collectors www.baxcode.com

    wrote in message
    news:1159274836.100997.287330@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was looking for a PDA with USB host controller so that I can connect
    > a USB dongle that could be recognized by it. Also are there any PDA's
    > that anybody has come across wwith RS232 support. I know that we can
    > use the serial port of the PDA that is used for Active-Sync. However
    > since that is proprietary, is there any way i could get a standard
    > serila port output. Is there any third party hardware/software that
    > could be used for this conversion.
    >
    > We currently have USB device that connects to a PC and gets recognized
    > as serial port device. This USB device emulates a serial device. Now I
    > would like to know if there are any PDA's that would allow me to
    > connect this USB device( I could change the firm ware to behave as USB
    > rather than emulate a serial device). Alternatively i could also change
    > the design to a serial port if there are any PDA's that would allow
    > serial communication.
    >
    > The TDS recon is one such PDA...but it way too expensive.
    >
    > Any input is welcome.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Regards,
    > Swaroop Shekar

  3. Re: PDA with usb host support

    sshekar@gmail.com schrieb:

    > I was looking for a PDA with USB host controller so that I can connect
    > a USB dongle that could be recognized by it. Also are there any PDA's

    The Sharp Zaurus models have USB Host and Client support. And, you can
    install/modify their software quite easily since they use Linux.

    Here is a good pointer to supported USB peripherals:
    http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=...ty_and_Support

    -- hns

  4. Re: PDA with usb host support

    Hi Swaroop,

    Every day I use a Toshiba e750 PDA with a USB hub supporting a USB
    mouse, keyboard and swap files with a USB flash drive. Some guys use
    USB bluetooth adapters and USB 20 GB hard drives but I couldn't get the
    latter recognised.

    The hardware is the Toshiba Extender (VGA and USB) and the software is
    the USB host driver. But, unlike Windows XP, the PDA operating system
    does not have generic drivers for USB, so each device needs a specific
    or generic driver. My mouse, hub and keyboard were recognised by the
    USB HID driver but the mouse needed an additional application (from
    DeJe) to draw a cursor and recognise x, y movement). The flash drive
    needed the Ratoc mass storage driver. Happy to send you links for this,
    but it's beautifully docmented at the Brighthand PDA forum - start at
    http://forum.brighthand.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1166 and follow the USB
    bluetooth forum as it covers all the things that work and don't work.

    Fujitsu Loox and Sharp Zaurus users are very loyal to their devices and
    their support for USB host.

    Finally, I've often referred to this site as a useful resource as they
    supply standard RS232 cables for a variety of PDAs - haven't bought
    anything yet but they seem to know their stuff. They sell a USB to
    serial cable for a Toshiba PDA for a reasonable price:
    http://pc-mobile.net/usb2s.htm. They probably support other PDAs as
    well.

    Cheers,

    Bill

  5. Re: PDA with usb host support

    Hello,

    the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loon N5xx Series or the C550 is exactly what
    you want. They all have RS232 and USB host, the C550 has 640x480 display
    and the N-Series has GPS built in.

    If you're living outside the EU please contact Fujitsu directly and ask
    them to bring these devices on your market as well. Fujitsu once had
    PDAs in their portfolio, now only their cooperation with Siemens has them...

    Greetings

    Markus

+ Reply to Thread