Clie SL10/U Battery Backup no more, what to do? Pix inside What theheck are these? - Handheld

This is a discussion on Clie SL10/U Battery Backup no more, what to do? Pix inside What theheck are these? - Handheld ; I bought a used Sony Clie PEG SL10/U PDA. Runs off two AAA batteries and loses all memory the instant you remove the batteries. A bunch of people have reported the problem, but I've found no solutions. So, I took ...

  1. Clie SL10/U Battery Backup no more, what to do? Pix inside What theheck are these?

    I bought a used Sony Clie PEG SL10/U PDA.
    Runs off two AAA batteries and loses all memory the instant you
    remove the batteries.
    A bunch of people have reported the problem, but I've found
    no solutions. So, I took it apart, expecting to find a
    super capacitor...cause they say you have a minute to change batteries.
    Unless it's a cumulative discharge from a non-rechargeable
    battery and they just don't want you
    to know it's a time bomb.
    Here's the inside:
    http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clieww7.jpg

    There are four things that look very much like watch batteries
    soldered to the board. If you put 1.5V across them, you get
    about 30 ma that decays sorta exponentially to near zero in a minute
    or to. I tried charging them all up, but the first one is dead
    by the time I get the last one done. They don't appear to be
    connected in series.

    Suggestions/experiences fxing this?

    I could use a memory stick and just back it up, but I don't have one
    and won't invest that much in a solution.
    I have a spot welder. If they're really watch batteries, I could
    replace 'em, but that's expensive too.
    It's not worth much fixed. I'm just bugged that it's broke and wanna
    fix it for cheap.

    Thanks, mike

  2. Re: Clie SL10/U Battery Backup no more, what to do? Pix inside What the heck are these?

    mike wrote:

    >I bought a used Sony Clie PEG SL10/U PDA.
    >Runs off two AAA batteries and loses all memory the instant you
    >remove the batteries...
    >Suggestions/experiences fxing this?

    I replaced the backup cap in my old Palm m105 some years back. That fixed the
    memory loss at battery change problem but was tricky fitting it inside the case.
    Search back in the Palm newsgroups for the details if you're interested. The cap
    may be different in your SL10 though.

    >I could use a memory stick and just back it up, but I don't have one
    >and won't invest that much in a solution.

    Too bad. I didn't realize those memory sticks cost so much. In my Palm m125
    which also has the memory problem (all my AAA Palms do) I simply use a free
    backup program called RFBackup (google to find) on my SD card. 520M SD cards are
    cheap (US$20 or less). It takes just a few minutes to restore after a battery
    change.

    But really, if you plan your battery changes to be near a computer you can just
    hotsync before and after the battery change to restore the unit, no software or
    hardware needed.

    >I have a spot welder. If they're really watch batteries, I could
    >replace 'em, but that's expensive too.
    >It's not worth much fixed. I'm just bugged that it's broke and wanna
    >fix it for cheap.

    In the Palms its a small large value capacitor that looks like a watch battery.
    Probably the same in the Sony. They dry out after a time and fail. Palm did a
    PDA replacement program for those with this problem awhile back, but I never did
    it. The old Palms weren't worth the hassle. *All* my old AAA powered Palms have
    now failed so I guess that's pretty universal. I still use my m125 on long trips
    to avoid taking the wall wart so the RFBackup software solution is my
    favorite...

+ Reply to Thread