Palm TX vs Dell Axim X51 - Handheld

This is a discussion on Palm TX vs Dell Axim X51 - Handheld ; Okay, a little help here, please. I am looking into getting one or the other. I am used to the Palm OS. I have used a Palm V (stop snickering) for several years. It has done fine but I require ...

  1. Palm TX vs Dell Axim X51

    Okay, a little help here, please. I am looking into getting one or the
    other. I am used to the Palm OS. I have used a Palm V (stop snickering)
    for several years. It has done fine but I require much more memory and
    would like wi-fi. How is the MS OS? Basically, this would be used for
    speadsheets (inventory/pricing), email and web. Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Palm TX vs Dell Axim X51

    sideshowhaas@netscape.net wrote:
    > Okay, a little help here, please. I am looking into getting one or the
    > other. I am used to the Palm OS. I have used a Palm V (stop snickering)
    > for several years. It has done fine but I require much more memory and
    > would like wi-fi. How is the MS OS? Basically, this would be used for
    > speadsheets (inventory/pricing), email and web. Thanks in advance.

    What do you plan to do with "web"?
    My experience with a 240x320 screen has been dismal.
    Sure, there are some usable sites, but most are UNUSABLE
    on a small screen.
    Figger out exactly what you want to do and try it on a friend's machine
    before you make a decision based on "web".
    I'm guessing the V series with 640x480 might be almost usable if you
    keep your eyeglasses prescription on the strong side.

    mike

  3. Re: Palm TX vs Dell Axim X51

    As far as web apps, mainly email. I can access my Hotmail/Yahoo
    accounts via my T-mo phone, no web surfing- maybe the occasional
    Google. Thanks for the input.

  4. Re: Palm TX vs Dell Axim X51

    sideshowhaas@netscape.net wrote:
    > Okay, a little help here, please. I am looking into getting one or the
    > other. I am used to the Palm OS. I have used a Palm V (stop snickering)
    > for several years. It has done fine but I require much more memory and
    > would like wi-fi. How is the MS OS? Basically, this would be used for
    > speadsheets (inventory/pricing), email and web. Thanks in advance.

    I have owned a PalmPilot Pro and Handera 330, and now own the TX. I
    also closely considered the Axim X51v, but ended up going with the TX
    for price and familiarity (although the Graffiti 2 is taking some
    getting used to). I have to say I love the TX. It comes bundled with
    a licensed version of Documents-to-Go, VersaMail, and Blazer. All of
    them work smoothly for me. Although it is true that the web was not
    designed for a PDA screen, I like having web access for checking movie
    times and looking up facts when there's no computer access handy. It's
    similar to the fact that I like having a keyboard for note-taking with
    my Palm now and then, even though for serious writing I prefer a
    desktop computer.

    The only thing I personally cannot do on the Palm that I could have
    done with the Axim is Skype. Not worth the price differential IMO.

    If you do go with the TX, I think you'll have a much better experience
    if you don't "upgrade," but rather uninstall your Palm V and install
    your TX fresh. Get upgrades on your software while you're at it. Most
    of the complaints about the TX stability seem to come from people who
    try to switch all their old software right over all at once.

+ Reply to Thread