HP Jornada? - Handheld

This is a discussion on HP Jornada? - Handheld ; I am seriously thinking about getting either the 720 or 728. I would appreciate any feedback on whether these machines are worthwhile and if the 728 is that much of an improvement over the 720. I should mention that I ...

  1. HP Jornada?

    I am seriously thinking about getting either the 720 or 728. I would
    appreciate any feedback on whether these machines are worthwhile and if
    the 728 is that much of an improvement over the 720.

    I should mention that I also own two Palm Tungsten C with which I am
    quite happy.
    Many thanks
    Mahl

  2. Re: HP Jornada?

    Mahlon Wagner wrote:
    > I am seriously thinking about getting either the 720 or 728. I would
    > appreciate any feedback on whether these machines are worthwhile and if
    > the 728 is that much of an improvement over the 720.
    >
    > I should mention that I also own two Palm Tungsten C with which I am
    > quite happy.

    Depends on what you want to do with it.
    As for the difference between the two, I can tell you the 728 is not a
    bit faster than the 720 - the extra memory has zero effect on processor
    speed.

    My opinions:
    Still pocketable but just barely. Relatively heavy.
    Good, responsive, typeable keyboard, still pretty small.
    Excellent screen but difficult to see in sunlight.
    Small screen territory for surfing - also pretty slow and erratic on
    the net.
    Requires frequent soft resets as it slows down to a crawl.
    Limited pocket versions of Word, Excel and Access (the latter stinks).
    Contacts feature pathetically slow if you have a bunch of contacts.
    Very good PC sync software if you have Windows XP - you may have
    trouble with older versions.
    Good battery life - expect three or four hours from an average battery.
    Excellent accessories: external battery charger (highly recommended
    with a second battery), full-sized external keyboard (scarce). The high
    capacity battery adds too much bulk and weight.

    Beware of used machines. Watch for:
    Severe screen fading and poor contrast (all these machines eventually
    show it).
    Erratic touch screen requiring frequent re-calibration.
    Bad, loose hinges.
    Bad modem, non-functioning CF card slots.
    Practically anything else that can go wrong with these delicate
    instruments.

    The 720s are getting pretty old now and are more likely to show
    defects. The 728s are more recent but scarcer and more expensive.

    My two cents.

  3. Re: HP Jornada?

    Travis Poppe | ASCII Ribbon /"\
    IRC: tlp @ irc.freenode.net | Campaign against \ /
    "All great truths begin as blasphemies." | HTML e-mail and x
    -- George Bernard Shaw | proprietary attachments / \

  4. Re: HP Jornada?

    On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 05:50:19AM -0700, Bob G wrote:

    > Mahlon Wagner wrote:
    > > I am seriously thinking about getting either the 720 or 728. I would
    > > appreciate any feedback on whether these machines are worthwhile and if
    > > the 728 is that much of an improvement over the 720.
    > >
    > > I should mention that I also own two Palm Tungsten C with which I am
    > > quite happy.

    > Depends on what you want to do with it.
    > As for the difference between the two, I can tell you the 728 is not a
    > bit faster than the 720 - the extra memory has zero effect on processor
    > speed.
    >
    > My opinions:
    > Still pocketable but just barely. Relatively heavy.

    I consider my J720 to be more of a mini-PC rather than a PDA and think
    that its size and weight suits it well.

    > Good, responsive, typeable keyboard, still pretty small.

    The keyboard is the primary reason I purchased it. I type nearly as fast
    on the Jornada keyboard as I do on a regular-sized one.

    > Excellent screen but difficult to see in sunlight.

    Indeed.

    > Small screen territory for surfing - also pretty slow and erratic on
    > the net.

    I run Linux on my Jornada and tend to use text browsers more often than
    graphical ones. As such, I have no problem with the screen size.

    > Requires frequent soft resets as it slows down to a crawl.

    Haven't noticed any of this, but I don't run WinCE.

    > Good battery life - expect three or four hours from an average battery.

    I've gotten at very least 6 hours out of the standard battery while
    under Linux, which has significantly poorer power management than WinCE.

    > Beware of used machines. Watch for:
    > Severe screen fading and poor contrast (all these machines eventually
    > show it).

    The first J720 I purchased had an excellent screen with almost no sign
    of wear whatsoever. The second I purchased (first one got dropped and
    was partially broken) had a significantly poorer screen, but it appeared
    to be a different screen altogether. I've since removed that screen and
    am now using the one I had on my old J720.

    > Erratic touch screen requiring frequent re-calibration.

    I use the keyboard almost exclusively, but the touch screen usually seems
    to be accurate when I go to use it.

    > Bad modem, non-functioning CF card slots.

    The defect my dropped Jornada suffered from was a non-functioning
    PCMCIA slot. But, hey.. I dropped it!

    > Practically anything else that can go wrong with these delicate
    > instruments.

    I suppose only time will tell, but I haven't had much problem with mine.
    :-)

    > The 720s are getting pretty old now and are more likely to show
    > defects. The 728s are more recent but scarcer and more expensive.

    I suggest you inquire about the condition (specifically the screen &
    CF/PCMCIA slots) prior to purchasing.

    For what it's worth, I've read and made this post on my Jornada. :-)

    Regards,
    --
    Travis Poppe | ASCII Ribbon /"\
    IRC: tlp @ irc.freenode.net | Campaign against \ /
    "All great truths begin as blasphemies." | HTML e-mail and x
    -- George Bernard Shaw | proprietary attachments / \

+ Reply to Thread