Re: PSP price cut might be imminent - Handheld

This is a discussion on Re: PSP price cut might be imminent - Handheld ; Sony is definitely unhappy with PSP sales and is aware of the DS threat. I took a survey for them a few months ago and basically they wanted to know what they needed to do to drive PSP sales. One ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    Sony is definitely unhappy with PSP sales and is aware of the DS
    threat. I took a survey for them a few months ago and basically they
    wanted to know what they needed to do to drive PSP sales. One of the
    selections was a $50 price drop, so I bet it will happen. Sony also
    asked what aspects of the PSP I did not like, such as controller, UMD,
    MS, no hard drive, lack of good games, etc. So Sony is well aware that
    their are kinks in the PSP armor...

  2. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    TheGame spake thusly:

    > Sony also
    > asked what aspects of the PSP I did not like, such as controller, UMD,
    > MS, no hard drive, lack of good games, etc. So Sony is well aware that
    > their are kinks in the PSP armor...

    The single biggest flaw in the PSP design, IMO, is lack of a second analog
    stick. They've basically crated a handheld PS2 and taken away the control
    scheme that's been around since the PS1.

    -Z-

  3. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    Zackman wrote:
    > TheGame spake thusly:
    >
    > > Sony also
    > > asked what aspects of the PSP I did not like, such as controller, UMD,
    > > MS, no hard drive, lack of good games, etc. So Sony is well aware that
    > > their are kinks in the PSP armor...

    > The single biggest flaw in the PSP design, IMO, is lack of a second analog
    > stick. They've basically crated a handheld PS2 and taken away the control
    > scheme that's been around since the PS1.

    Well, the PS1 originally had 0 analog sticks. :^)

    - Jordan

  4. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    TheGame wrote:
    > Sony is definitely unhappy with PSP sales and is aware of the DS
    > threat. I took a survey for them a few months ago and basically they
    > wanted to know what they needed to do to drive PSP sales. One of the
    > selections was a $50 price drop, so I bet it will happen. Sony also
    > asked what aspects of the PSP I did not like, such as controller, UMD,
    > MS, no hard drive, lack of good games, etc. So Sony is well aware that
    > their are kinks in the PSP armor...

    I personally don't think the price is the major issue with the PSP at
    the moment. The PSP does way more than a DS can ever wish to do and the
    image quality is just in another league all together.

    I think Sony's current issue with the PSP is unique content. At the
    moment, we have a re-hash of currently released PS2 games simply ported
    to the PSP. I think that is a huge mistake. I not really interested in
    purchasing a game on the PS2 then paying for the almost same exact game
    on the PSP again. I think if Sony could push more unique games on the
    PSP, they would see a spike in sales.

    Regards,
    SK

  5. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:15:44 -0400, "Zackman"
    wrote:

    >TheGame spake thusly:
    >
    >> Sony also
    >> asked what aspects of the PSP I did not like, such as controller, UMD,
    >> MS, no hard drive, lack of good games, etc. So Sony is well aware that
    >> their are kinks in the PSP armor...

    >The single biggest flaw in the PSP design, IMO, is lack of a second analog
    >stick. They've basically crated a handheld PS2 and taken away the control
    >scheme that's been around since the PS1.

    no, the biggest flaw is that the one analogue stick that is there, is
    in a bloody stupid position so you end up getting knackered hands if
    you try and use it for more than 10 minutes ata time!
    --

    gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
    http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk

  6. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    Skykid wrote:

    > I think Sony's current issue with the PSP is unique content. At the
    > moment, we have a re-hash of currently released PS2 games simply ported
    > to the PSP.

    That's the conventional wisdom, but it's not exactly correct.

    Loooking at a nearby stack of PSP games I just happen to have sitting
    around...

    Ys - Ark of the Napishtim - PS2 port
    Legend of Heroes II - Unique to PSP
    PIQ - Practical Intelligence Quotient - Unique to PSP
    Astonishia Story - Unique to PSP
    Me and My Katamari - Kind of a port of We Love Katamari on PS2
    Monster Hunter Freedom - Port of a Japanese game that was never
    released stateside
    Untold Legends: Warriors Code - Uniqe to PSP
    Wipeout Pure - PSP version of a PS1 and PS2 franchise, unique to PSP

    Going to the stack of games I've already finished...

    Archer Maclean's Mercury - Unique to PSP
    Coded Arms - Unique to PSP
    Death Jr. - Unique to PSP
    Kingdom of Paradise - Unique to PSP
    Legend of Heroes - Unique to PSP
    Lumines - Unique to PSP
    Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel - Unique to PSP (although it's a
    repeat of the MGS1 story)
    Pursuit Force (demo)
    Twisted Metal Head On (apply directly to forehead) - PSP version of a
    PS1 and PS2 franchise, unique to PSP
    Untold Legends - Unique to PSP
    X-Men Legends II - Multiplatform port

    I think the confusion comes from when established franchises like
    Wipeout or Twisted Metal get a PSP version. These games aren't ports of
    existing Wipeout or Twisted Metal titles, they are designed for the PSP
    and exist nowhere else.

    Then you have the added confusion of PSP titles getting ported to other
    platforms, such as GTA Liberty City Stories being turned into a PS2
    title or Lumines being sent to Xbox Live Arcade.

    - Jordan

  7. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    In article ,
    Chris F wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:15:44 -0400, "Zackman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >TheGame spake thusly:
    > >
    > >> Sony also
    > >> asked what aspects of the PSP I did not like, such as controller, UMD,
    > >> MS, no hard drive, lack of good games, etc. So Sony is well aware that
    > >> their are kinks in the PSP armor...

    > >The single biggest flaw in the PSP design, IMO, is lack of a second analog
    > >stick. They've basically crated a handheld PS2 and taken away the control
    > >scheme that's been around since the PS1.
    > >

    > no, the biggest flaw is that the one analogue stick that is there, is
    > in a bloody stupid position so you end up getting knackered hands if
    > you try and use it for more than 10 minutes ata time!

    They should consider doing another design, like Nintendo did with DS
    Lite.

    Better controls placement, better battery life (would be a huge boon),
    higher clock speed.

    But still, at $149, that would be a great bargain if there are games you
    can get into.

    Maybe the promised integration with the PS3 might help. Maybe if the
    PS3 acts as a LocationFree server right out of the box with a PSP.

  8. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    "poldy" wrote in message
    newsoldy-69BA8B.11090914082006@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
    > In article ,
    > Chris F wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:15:44 -0400, "Zackman"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >TheGame spake thusly:

    UMD,

    that

    > > >The single biggest flaw in the PSP design, IMO, is lack of a second

    analog
    > > >stick. They've basically crated a handheld PS2 and taken away the

    control
    > > >scheme that's been around since the PS1.
    > > >

    > > no, the biggest flaw is that the one analogue stick that is there, is
    > > in a bloody stupid position so you end up getting knackered hands if
    > > you try and use it for more than 10 minutes ata time!

    > They should consider doing another design, like Nintendo did with DS
    > Lite.
    >
    > Better controls placement, better battery life (would be a huge boon),
    > higher clock speed.

    Spend $10 and buy one of those charger grip deals. While I wouldn't say
    they double the life, they do add a couple more hours and with a little duct
    tape, it's pretty much just like using a regular gamepad.

  9. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On 2006-08-14, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled poldy to exclaim:

    > They should consider doing another design, like Nintendo did with DS
    > Lite.

    I'd buy one in a shot if they did something about the horrible motion
    blurry display.

    Choobs

    --
    Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006

    http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

  10. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On 2006-08-12, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Skykid to exclaim:

    > image quality is just in another league all together.

    Indeed - blurry and slow.

    Choobs

    --
    Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006

    http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

  11. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
    > On 2006-08-12, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Skykid to exclaim:
    > >
    > > image quality is just in another league all together.

    > Indeed - blurry and slow.
    >
    > Choobs
    >
    > --
    > Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    > "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006
    >
    > http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

    Spoken like someone who only owns a DS.

  12. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On 17 Aug 2006 13:15:44 -0700, "Mattinglyfan"
    wrote:

    >Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
    >> On 2006-08-12, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Skykid to exclaim:
    >> >
    >> > image quality is just in another league all together.

    >> Indeed - blurry and slow.
    >>
    >> Choobs
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    >> "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006
    >>
    >> http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

    >Spoken like someone who only owns a DS.

    having owned both, he has a point with some games, and especially umd
    movies, which had pretty bad motion blur.

    a lot of games are alright though, but there is a fair bit of blurring
    (Loco Roco is a bit like that, you don't notice it unless you're
    looking for it though)

    GTA was pretty bad for it, and i remember rockstar saying it wasn't an
    intentional effect, just a factor of the display. how much of that is
    true, i don't know, as games like Daxter have very little blur and are
    quite sharp on the whole.
    --

    gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
    http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk
    Current eBay auctions: http://tinyurl.com/hutcb

  13. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    "Chris F" wrote in message
    > On 17 Aug 2006 13:15:44 -0700, "Mattinglyfan"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
    >>> On 2006-08-12, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Skykid to
    >>> exclaim:

    >>> Indeed - blurry and slow.
    >>>
    >>> Choobs
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    >>> "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd
    >>> Barret 1946-2006
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

    >>Spoken like someone who only owns a DS.

    > having owned both, he has a point with some games, and especially umd
    > movies, which had pretty bad motion blur.
    >
    > a lot of games are alright though, but there is a fair bit of blurring
    > (Loco Roco is a bit like that, you don't notice it unless you're
    > looking for it though)
    >
    > GTA was pretty bad for it, and i remember rockstar saying it wasn't an
    > intentional effect, just a factor of the display. how much of that is
    > true, i don't know, as games like Daxter have very little blur and are
    > quite sharp on the whole.
    > --
    >
    > gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
    > http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk
    > Current eBay auctions: http://tinyurl.com/hutcb

    There is no comparison between PSP and DS graphically (image quality) and
    that was the point he responded to. Look at any game that is available on
    both.

  14. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:26:09 -0600, "Mattinglyfan"
    wrote:

    >"Chris F" wrote in message
    >> On 17 Aug 2006 13:15:44 -0700, "Mattinglyfan"
    >> wrote:

    >>>Spoken like someone who only owns a DS.

    >> having owned both, he has a point with some games, and especially umd
    >> movies, which had pretty bad motion blur.
    >>
    >> a lot of games are alright though, but there is a fair bit of blurring
    >> (Loco Roco is a bit like that, you don't notice it unless you're
    >> looking for it though)
    >>
    >> GTA was pretty bad for it, and i remember rockstar saying it wasn't an
    >> intentional effect, just a factor of the display. how much of that is
    >> true, i don't know, as games like Daxter have very little blur and are
    >> quite sharp on the whole.
    >> --
    >>
    >> gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
    >> http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk
    >> Current eBay auctions: http://tinyurl.com/hutcb

    >There is no comparison between PSP and DS graphically (image quality) and
    >that was the point he responded to. Look at any game that is available on
    >both.

    no one said the DS had better graphics, just that it doesn't have the
    same amount of motion blur as a lot of PSP games suffer from.

    i think you're confusing graphical complexity with hardware quality.

    it never bothered me a great deal, but a lot of people, like chewbury,
    found the motion blur very distracting on PSP.
    --

    gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
    http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk
    Current eBay auctions: http://tinyurl.com/hutcb

  15. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On 2006-08-17, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Mattinglyfan to exclaim:

    > Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
    >> On 2006-08-12, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Skykid to exclaim:
    >> >
    >> > image quality is just in another league all together.

    >> Indeed - blurry and slow.
    >>
    >> Choobs
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    >> "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006
    >>
    >> http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

    > Spoken like someone who only owns a DS.

    Spoken like someone who has owned *two* PSPs and sold both of them
    because of the blurry display, you mean.

    Choobs

    --
    Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006

    http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

  16. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On 2006-08-18, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Mattinglyfan to exclaim:

    > There is no comparison between PSP and DS graphically (image quality) and
    > that was the point he responded to. Look at any game that is available on
    > both.

    A little presumptious of you to decide what I meant ;-) In what way is
    "speed of update and lack of blur" not related to "image quality"?

    Choobs

    --
    Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006

    http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

  17. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On 2006-08-18, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Chris F to exclaim:
    > it never bothered me a great deal, but a lot of people, like chewbury,
    > found the motion blur very distracting on PSP.

    *nods*

    I remember being extremely disappointed because the PSP was intended
    (the second one, anyway) as a way to watch videos on the bus but the
    motion blur was just too much - ended up making me travel sick.

    It's a great shame. I think (and I might be completely wrong here) that
    the blur only exists because the PSP was clocked down at the last minute
    to try and counteract the abuse Sony were getting about battery life and
    that the display is therefore running slower than intended.

    Choobs

    --
    Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006

    http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

  18. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    "Sir Chewbury Gubbins" wrote in
    > It's a great shame. I think (and I might be completely wrong here) that
    > the blur only exists because the PSP was clocked down at the last minute
    > to try and counteract the abuse Sony were getting about battery life and
    > that the display is therefore running slower than intended.

    I don't think it's blurring you are seeing, but ghosting from the LCD.

  19. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    "Sir Chewbury Gubbins" wrote in message
    > On 2006-08-17, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Mattinglyfan
    > to exclaim:
    >>
    >> Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
    >>> On 2006-08-12, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Skykid to
    >>> exclaim:

    >>> Indeed - blurry and slow.
    >>>
    >>> Choobs
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    >>> "Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd
    >>> Barret 1946-2006
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings

    >> Spoken like someone who only owns a DS.

    > Spoken like someone who has owned *two* PSPs and sold both of them
    > because of the blurry display, you mean.

    I own *two* PSPs still. But the fact of the matter is, you just confirmed
    that my comment was true.

  20. Re: PSP price cut might be imminent

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:06:50 -0600, "Mattinglyfan"
    wrote:

    >>> Spoken like someone who only owns a DS.

    >> Spoken like someone who has owned *two* PSPs and sold both of them
    >> because of the blurry display, you mean.
    >>

    >I own *two* PSPs still.

    what do you want a badge or something?

    > But the fact of the matter is, you just confirmed
    >that my comment was true.

    so because he no longer owns a PSP he can't have an opinion on it?

    give it a break, kutaragi's arsehole is getting a bit raw from all the
    brown-nosing.