suggestion for ibm z50 - Handheld

This is a discussion on suggestion for ibm z50 - Handheld ; Hi. I've bought a ibm workpad z50, without RAM expansion. My first attempts to install netbsd was unsuccessfully and I obtained the same result triyng to configure a ethernet pcmcia card (recognized but not configured). The use for me is: ...

  1. suggestion for ibm z50

    Hi.
    I've bought a ibm workpad z50, without RAM expansion.
    My first attempts to install netbsd was unsuccessfully and I obtained
    the same result triyng to configure a ethernet pcmcia card (recognized
    but not configured).
    The use for me is:
    - web navigation
    - blogging
    - posting pics on flickr (using email posting or web posting)
    - rss reading (use a software running on the home server)
    - writing with a word processor

    what your suggestion? using wince or netbsd?

    thanks!

  2. Re: suggestion for ibm z50

    Hi,

    if WinCE is the default system for the z50,
    then I'd use that, since it's likely
    to support the hardware,
    including NE2K compatible NICs,
    and maybe even SOCKET LP-E cards.
    (Although it's only WinCE 2.11...)

    If you're eager on using netbsd:
    http://www.tux.org/~bball/z50/

    However, I'm writing this posting
    on my IBM ThinkPad X31 ,
    which has a similar form factor as the z50,
    but is much more powerful,
    and has all built-in what you'll have to add to a z50
    to make it usable.

    So my suggestion is to get an X31 instead;-)

    Regards

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1146588712.149516.310130@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi.
    > I've bought a ibm workpad z50, without RAM expansion.
    > My first attempts to install netbsd was unsuccessfully and I obtained
    > the same result triyng to configure a ethernet pcmcia card (recognized
    > but not configured).
    > The use for me is:
    > - web navigation
    > - blogging
    > - posting pics on flickr (using email posting or web posting)
    > - rss reading (use a software running on the home server)
    > - writing with a word processor
    >
    > what your suggestion? using wince or netbsd?
    >
    > thanks!

  3. Re: suggestion for ibm z50

    thanks for the answer.
    I tried with both systems, WinCE (3.0, already installed when I bought
    the workpad) and netbsd (tried to install it but without so much free
    time and unsuccessfully).
    I would also to use a wireless pcmcia card.
    Your TP is really nice and the x31 is a nice solution, but I've yet an
    x40 and I don't want to buy my 3rd laptop...

  4. Re: suggestion for ibm z50

    Hello,

    the x40 is even somewhat smaller than the x31.
    So I'd use the x40 and put the z50 into the collector's archive;-)

    Not so long ago I wanted to use my HP Jornada 720
    as internet terminal, attached to a WLAN, and secured
    with WPA-PSK.
    After many searches I finally gave up the plan with the J720,
    because it's simply impossible with a HPC2000 machine to use WPA,
    and bought a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
    for fast and easy wireless internet surfing sitting on the couch.
    For more text intensive things, like programming or writing mails,
    I use my x31.

    Raymond

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1146681731.686129.245710@j73g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > thanks for the answer.
    > I tried with both systems, WinCE (3.0, already installed when I bought
    > the workpad) and netbsd (tried to install it but without so much free
    > time and unsuccessfully).
    > I would also to use a wireless pcmcia card.
    > Your TP is really nice and the x31 is a nice solution, but I've yet an
    > x40 and I don't want to buy my 3rd laptop...

+ Reply to Thread