Connection the Dell Axim X51V to my car's audio - Handheld

This is a discussion on Connection the Dell Axim X51V to my car's audio - Handheld ; I have a few questions I hope anyone can answer!! Is it possible to connect the Axim X51V (or other PDA) to the car audio so I can play MP3s through the car's speaker? Is the sound quality as good ...

  1. Connection the Dell Axim X51V to my car's audio

    I have a few questions I hope anyone can answer!!

    Is it possible to connect the Axim X51V (or other PDA) to the car audio
    so I can play MP3s
    through the car's speaker?

    Is the sound quality as good as using the current CD player?

    Can the PDA be powered while it's playing so the battery won't run out?

    Do I need any additional parts/accessories to connect?

    Is it safe to connect the PDA this way?

    Thanks for your patience!!!

  2. Re: Connection the Dell Axim X51V to my car's audio

    mibi222 wrote:
    > I have a few questions I hope anyone can answer!!
    >
    > Is it possible to connect the Axim X51V (or other PDA) to the car audio
    > so I can play MP3s
    > through the car's speaker?

    Yes, there are several solutions.

    If your car stereo has an audio input jack, that will be your best bet.
    Just run a a cable from the PDA's headphone jack to the stereo input jack.

    Failing that, you can get an FM transmitter (actually, an FM RF
    modulator) that will take input audio and broadcast it to your car's FM
    receiver. These can be had for $20 or less. Some of them plug straight
    into the car's 12V "lighter" socket.

    Another alternative, if you have a cassette player in the car, is to get
    a cassette adapter. This looks like a cassette, but has an audio cable
    pigtail that you can plug into the PDA. You then play the PDA audio by
    pressing "PLAY" on the cassette deck.

    > Is the sound quality as good as using the current CD player?

    That depends. If your car stereo has an audio input jack, the quality
    COULD be as good as the CD, depending on the car stereo circuitry and
    the quality of your MP3 recordings.

    The cassette and FM radio solutions will not be as good.

    > Can the PDA be powered while it's playing so the battery won't run out?

    You'll need a 12V "lighter" socket adapter for the PDA. If you are
    powering both an FM transmitter AND the PDA, you'll need to get a 12V
    socket splitter. They take one lighter socket and turn it into two or
    three.

    > Do I need any additional parts/accessories to connect?

    Yup.

    > Is it safe to connect the PDA this way?

    Hmmmm. Define "safe". The chances of damaging either your PDA or your
    stereo are relatively low. The PDA is most at risk. Assuming you get a
    decent quality power adapter and FM transmitter, you should be okay.

  3. Re: Connection the Dell Axim X51V to my car's audio

    Thanks!! That was very informative!!

    I haven't noticed any audio input jack in my car's stereo.. i'm gonna
    search for it... I want the sound quality to be the best possible so I
    hope I can connect that way.

+ Reply to Thread