Remote switches - Handheld

This is a discussion on Remote switches - Handheld ; Hi, I have severe allergies and so use my desktop computer through a glass panel. At the moment I need someone to turn it on for me. However, I'd like to buy a part for my PC so I can ...

  1. Remote switches

    Hi,

    I have severe allergies and so use my desktop computer through a glass panel. At the moment I need someone to turn it on for me. However, I'd like to buy a part for my PC so I can turn it on with a remote or something similar instead. Can this be done? Our regular TV remotes work through the glass panel so something INFA-RED could work also. Could my Pocket PC be of help?

    What technologies are there?

    What prices do they start at? Where can I get them?

    Thanks,

    S.

    Season BubbleGirl
    International author and motivational icon hailing from Australia.

    Writer of A Doggy Diary (Ingram/Baker & Taylor, 0-9766-2213-0), Music Mash and autobiography, Absolute Individual: Life In a Bubble (Zeus Publications, 1-922-1837-7; Ingram/Baker & Taylor, 1-5968-2040-3)

    www.bubblegirl.net - where individuality truly shines

  2. Re: Remote switches

    On 2006-03-27 06:37 CEST, Season BubbleGirl - BubbleGirl.net wrote:

    > I have severe allergies and so use my desktop computer through a glass
    > panel. At the moment I need someone to turn it on for me. However, I'd
    > like to buy a part for my PC so I can turn it on with a remote or
    > something similar instead. Can this be done? Our regular TV remotes work
    > through the glass panel so something INFA-RED could work also.

    You can buy a remote controlled power socket. Here in Germany they are
    available in electronic stores or do-it-yourself stores; sometimes
    even in supermarkets. They are usually working with radio signals.
    Then you have to check if you PC has an configuration option in the
    BIOS settings which is named "Boot On Power Return" or similar.

    If you switch on your PC with the remote control it would not be
    necessary to push the built-in power switch, it will just boot when
    you turn on the power by remote control.

    > What prices do they start at? Where can I get them?

    Usually about 30 Euros.

    --

  3. Re: Remote switches

    Jochen Schmid suggested a physical power switch. But that might not
    work so well with a power management system.

    Perhaps you can find someone to bypass the power button on your
    computer. I _think_ that could be done without solder; just cut two
    wires and use "wire nuts" to splice in a new set of wires with a new
    button. Not much skill required. But you probably want someone who
    knows enough to be sure they're not causing any harm.

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:07:22 +0930, "Season BubbleGirl -
    BubbleGirl.net" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have severe allergies and so use my desktop computer through a glass panel. At the moment I need someone to turn it on for me. However, I'd like to buy a part for my PC so I can turn it on with a remote or something similar instead. Can this be done? Our regular TV remotes work through the glass panel so something INFA-RED could work also. Could my Pocket PC be of help?
    >
    >What technologies are there?
    >
    >What prices do they start at? Where can I get them?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >S.
    >

    >Season BubbleGirl
    >International author and motivational icon hailing from Australia.
    >
    >Writer of A Doggy Diary (Ingram/Baker & Taylor, 0-9766-2213-0), Music Mash and autobiography, Absolute Individual: Life In a Bubble (Zeus Publications, 1-922-1837-7; Ingram/Baker & Taylor, 1-5968-2040-3)
    >
    >www.bubblegirl.net - where individuality truly shines

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Remote switches

    On 2006-03-28 20:06 CEST, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

    > Jochen Schmid suggested a physical power switch. But that might not
    > work so well with a power management system.

    That's the reason why I mentioned the required BIOS settings.

    > Perhaps you can find someone to bypass the power button on your
    > computer.

    Also a possible solution but some (!) technical knowledge is required.
    Also, as you said already, opening the PC case can cause severe harm.

    --

  5. Re: Remote switches

    HI Bubble Girl,

    Not sure how technically literate you are but all over the world a lot
    of organisations have their work PCs powered on remotely using the WOL
    setting (Wake on LAN), in order ot do maintenance and software
    installations. I've not had to do this at home, but 5 minutes searching
    for scripts to do this suggests to me that you can do it with equipment
    costing practically nothing, assuming you already have a PDA. You need
    a hub, a compact flash ethernet card (or wireless card) in the PDA and
    a LAN card (NIC) in the PC. Plus some free utilities on your PDA such
    as vxUtil. Alternatively, buy a really old, cheap laptop that does not
    give you allergies and use it to wake up the main PC.

    You should be able to power on the PC using a PDA or any device that
    has a wireless or wired connection. When you send a packet with the IP
    address and MAC address of the PC, if WOL has been enbabled in the
    BIOS, then it will wake up.

    The beauty of this is that it will cost almost nothing. The downside is
    that you need some technical expertise, but if you have this or have
    someone prepared to help, then it should not be difficult. Here's a web
    site that describes what to do:

    http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software...o-2.html#ss2.1.

    Here's another that gives you a script to do it, but your PDA may not
    necessarily support
    scripting:.http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo...tType=vbscript

  6. Re: Remote switches

    Hi again,

    I feel a right idiot, but 5 seconds after my last post, I went to the
    next option on the vxUtil utilities on my PDA. Guess what, the menu
    item just called 'M' is actually a Wake On LAN utility. Just put in the
    main PC's MAC address, then click Send.

    The PC's MAC address can be found on the main PC in under 30 seconds.
    If you have a PDA, vxUtils may be downloaded free of charge at
    http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html.

    Bill,

    Canberra, Australia

  7. Re: Remote switches

    "WhiteStarLine" writes:

    >Not sure how technically literate you are but all over the world a lot
    >of organisations have their work PCs powered on remotely using the WOL
    >setting (Wake on LAN), in order ot do maintenance and software
    >installations.

    It's surprisingly easy to do. I've done this for a remote lab.

    A BIOS that supports WOL might also support "keyboard wakeup" or
    "keyboard power-on". That would be a vastly simpler solution.

    --kyler

+ Reply to Thread