Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser - Handheld

This is a discussion on Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser - Handheld ; http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3337 February 14, 2006 by: Eric Topf CONFIRMED: Nintendo announces several add-ons, games, and more at a DS Conference in Japan. Advanced Media has received word that one of several new announcements to be made at a Nintendo DS conference ...

  1. Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3337

    February 14, 2006

    by: Eric Topf

    CONFIRMED: Nintendo announces several add-ons, games, and more at a DS
    Conference in Japan.

    Advanced Media has received word that one of several new announcements
    to be made at a Nintendo DS conference in Japan will be the unveiling
    of a new Web Browser for the dual-screen handheld. Early reports
    indicate that the browser will be powered by Opera Software technology.

    Several other exciting announcements are expected to be made at the
    conference and Advanced Media will be updating throughout the day on
    further breaking news and information coming out of Japan.

    older C&VG article that -pre-dates- today's conference where DS browser
    was announced

    http://tinyurl.com/c6xch

    DS PRIMED FOR DUAL-SCREEN WEB BROWSING?

    Reggie Fils-Aime talks up DS web browsing - but are you likely to be
    surfing the 'net with your DS any time soon?

    12:03 With its two usable screens and handy touch-screen interface
    we're surprised that a Nintendo DS web browser is yet to hit the scene.
    By the looks of it though, Nintendo's vice president of sales and
    marketing, Reggie Fils-Aime, is just as surprised at this omission as
    we are - and plans to do something about it.

    Speaking to American games mag EGM, the Fiks-Aime explained, "We
    thought a licensee (third party) was getting into that area, and once
    we heard that we backed off", adding that Nintendo might develop the DS
    web browser itself. "If we end up seeing that nobody's really going to
    enter that space, it may be something that we'll go back and look at. I
    know that Mr. Iwata has talked about it."

  2. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    video-game dude wrote:
    > http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3337
    >
    > [snip]

    Hmm, I hope this is true, but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt for now...

  3. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

  4. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    video-game dude wrote:
    > it's very true and very official
    >
    > http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsconfe...6s/page13.html

    in which case, I take it back, and add RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    more confirmation for you!

    http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/

    Giving gamers two windows to the Web: The Opera Browser for Nintendo
    DS™
    Oslo, Norway - February 15, 2006: Opera Software today announced that
    it will deliver the World Wide Web to Nintendo DS users in Japan.

    In Opera's agreement with Nintendo, Nintendo DS users will now be able
    to surf the full Internet from their systems using the Opera browser.
    The Opera browser for Nintendo DS will be sold as a DS card. Users
    simply insert the card into the Wi- Fi enabled Nintendo DS, connect to
    a network, and begin browsing on two screens.

    Earlier this year, Nintendo reported that 13 million Nintendo DS
    systems were sold to consumers around the world within just 13 months
    of its debut in November 2004. Nintendo DS combines unique dual
    screens, touch screen, voice recognition and wireless and Wi-Fi
    communications capabilities. According to an independent market
    research company in Japan, Nintendo DS has become the fastest selling
    video games machine to top the six million sales mark in Japan in just
    over 14 months since its Japanese debut, breaking the old record held
    by Nintendo's Game Boy Advance.

    "The incredibly popular Nintendo DS is already Wi-Fi enabled to support
    real time gaming, so adding Web browsing capabilities was a natural
    evolution for this device," says Scott Hedrick, Executive Vice
    President, Opera Software. "Gaming devices are growing more advanced
    and a great Web experience is becoming a product differentiator for
    gaming manufacturers. Opera is excited to work with Nintendo to deliver
    a unique dual screen, full Internet experience on Nintendo DS."

    With an on-screen keypad and stylus, users can easily navigate the Web
    from their Nintendo DS with PDA-like functionality. Based on the same
    core as the Opera desktop browser, Opera delivers superior speed and
    rendering of Web pages on the Nintendo DS.

    "Within just five seconds of turning on the system, the Nintendo DS is
    already fully operational. This makes it the ideal device to enable
    people to swiftly obtain the latest information from the internet,
    wherever they are," says Masaru Shimomura, Deputy General Manager of
    Nintendo's R & D Department. "Opera exceeded our expectations with its
    user friendly interface, quick access to all your favorite sites, ease
    of use and, most importantly, in making the best use of the Nintendo DS
    system's unique double screens and touch screen features. Opera is an
    important partner for Nintendo in our efforts to further expand the
    users of the Nintendo DS."

    Nintendo Co., Ltd. held a presentation today in Tokyo, Japan, to
    announce updates for the Nintendo DS. Information on the availability
    of the Opera browser DS card has not yet been announced.
    For further information contact:

    Opera Europe PR staff
    Berit Hanson +47 24 16 42 14, berith@opera.com
    Tor Odland +47 24 16 42 42, toro@opera.com

    Opera US PR staff
    Michelle Valdivia, work phone +1 786 312 1717, mobile +1 786 208 6072,
    michelle@opera.com

    Nintendo Europe PR staff
    Simon Watts +44 (0) 207 307 3175
    Michele Newberry +44 (0) 207 307 3173
    About Opera for Devices

    Opera provides an optimized implementation of Internet technologies for
    handheld devices, digital TV and other devices, with innovative and
    powerful features that seamlessly adapt the Internet experience to suit
    varying screen sizes and input devices. In addition to being a full
    Internet browser, Opera is a high performance execution environment for
    Web applications and dynamic user interfaces based on interoperable
    open Web technologies such as AJAX.

    Read more about Opera for Devices
    About Opera Software ASA

    Opera Software ASA is an industry leader in the development of Web
    browser technology, targeting the desktop, mobile, digital TV, consumer
    electronics and other devices. Partners include companies such as IBM,
    Nokia, Motorola, Adobe, Nintendo, Symbian, Sony Ericsson, Kyocera,
    Sharp, Freescale, MontaVista Software, Sigma and AMD. The Opera browser
    has received international recognition from users, industry experts and
    media for being faster, smaller and more standards compliant than other
    browsers. Opera's browser technology is cross platform and modular, and
    currently available on the following operating systems: Linux, Windows,
    Windows Mobile, Mac OS, Symbian OS, BREW, QNX, TRON, FreeBSD, Solaris
    and Mediahighway. The Opera browser is also available as a Java based
    (J2ME) browser solution called Opera Mini for the world's 700 million
    Java enabled mobile phones.

    Visit www.opera.com
    About Nintendo

    The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive
    entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and
    markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video
    game systems. To date, Nintendo has sold more than 2 billion video
    games worldwide and more than 360 million hardware units globally,
    creating such industry icons as Mario® and Donkey Kong and launched
    franchises like The Legend of Zelda® and Pokemon®. Nintendo
    manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular video
    game systems, including the Nintendo GameCube™, Game Boy Advance, and
    Nintendo DS™.

  6. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:05:01 GMT, Vitani wrote:

    >video-game dude wrote:
    >> http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3337
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>

    >Hmm, I hope this is true, but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt for now...

    i dont get the appeal, at all.

    the DS screens' resolution isn't exactly huge, so webpages will be
    about 4 screens wide.

    all i can see it being is a pain in the arse.
    --

    gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
    http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk

  7. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    Chris F wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:05:01 GMT, Vitani wrote:
    >
    > >video-game dude wrote:
    > >> http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3337
    > >>
    > >> [snip]
    > >>

    > >Hmm, I hope this is true, but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt for now...

    > i dont get the appeal, at all.
    >
    > the DS screens' resolution isn't exactly huge, so webpages will be
    > about 4 screens wide.
    >
    > all i can see it being is a pain in the arse.

    If it was your primary machine; but it's decent for limited use (more
    people using computers in a wifi house than available computers when
    someone just wants to do a little browsing, checking out a site at lunch
    when you're at a wifi hotspot, killing time at an airport with wifi,
    etc.). It's a nice feature on the PSP, and while display will probably
    be worse on the DS, text entry will be vastly improved.

  8. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    On 2006-02-15 06:56:17 +0000, "video-game dude" said:

    > Advanced Media has received word that one of several new announcements
    > to be made at a Nintendo DS conference in Japan will be the unveiling
    > of a new Web Browser for the dual-screen handheld. Early reports
    > indicate that the browser will be powered by Opera Software technolog

    Need wireless, satellite TV, t'internet and a phone on my Micro.. pull
    your finger out Nintendo
    --
    gt: redsmartie
    www.redsmartie.com

    "Game experience may change during online play"

  9. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    Ted wrote:

    > Chris F wrote:

    >> >Hmm, I hope this is true, but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt for
    >> >now...

    >> i dont get the appeal, at all.
    >>
    >> the DS screens' resolution isn't exactly huge, so webpages will be
    >> about 4 screens wide.
    >>
    >> all i can see it being is a pain in the arse.

    > If it was your primary machine; but it's decent for limited use (more
    > people using computers in a wifi house than available computers when
    > someone just wants to do a little browsing, checking out a site at lunch
    > when you're at a wifi hotspot, killing time at an airport with wifi,
    > etc.). It's a nice feature on the PSP, and while display will probably
    > be worse on the DS, text entry will be vastly improved.

    Here's hoping it will be better than the PSP browser. Whilst it initially
    looks good, throw it a big web page and it will say "Out of memory" on that
    page and virtually every other page you try after that until you restart
    the browser. It can be really annoying to try to scroll around the screen
    with the analogue nub thing as well as it's too sluggish a lot of the time.
    Given that it's based on the existing Opera core and that they've already
    produced a lot of browsers for small devices I think it should be a winner.

    I use Opera as my main browser on my computer so I'm really looking forward
    to this!

  10. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    > Here's hoping it will be better than the PSP browser. Whilst it initially
    > looks good, throw it a big web page and it will say "Out of memory" on

    that
    > page and virtually every other page you try after that until you restart
    > the browser. It can be really annoying to try to scroll around the screen
    > with the analogue nub thing as well as it's too sluggish a lot of the

    time.
    > Given that it's based on the existing Opera core and that they've already
    > produced a lot of browsers for small devices I think it should be a

    winner.

    Is the PSP browser meant for that though?

    I use mine regularly but for admittedly simple tasks like reading email and
    looking at the news and don't have any problems at all.

    Col.

    --
    Remove the 'old' to reply to me.

  11. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    "video-game dude" wrote in message ...

    > http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3337

    Certaintly welcomed and while I admit that when I first saw the NDS prior to
    release, and noting it had built-in 802.11 (legacy), one of the immediete
    things that came to mind was web and email, but I think its too optimistic
    to think the DS browser is going to live up to expectations.

    I've been using portable web browsers since 1998: P/PC's, BE300, PocketPC,
    Sony PSP and a handheld Jornada 720 that I just picked up recently. The
    thing with portable web browsering is that html (and extensions) are so
    dynamic and constantly changing that as soon as a particular browser
    (including any of Microsoft's PIE's) are no longer supported, they become
    less and less functional rather quickly. I'm also questioning how capable
    the DS's rather limited hardware will hold up. I have several much more
    capable devices that don't hold well (including the PSP). The good news,
    though, is that Opera is behind the browser -- if anyone can wedge an
    efficient browser into the DS, it is definetly Opera.

    Eventually, web browser will be embedded into just about everything like MP3
    players are now, but we are still in transition.

    There are still some things that would work very good with the DS though.

    - An email client. Thats a given. Email clients are low overhead.
    Standard POP3.

    - MP3 player. It could even be do-able to stream MP3's from a local file
    share, or even the internet, over the DS's wireless. I use my BE300 all the
    time to stream MP3's. Experimenting, I even forced the wireless card to
    connect at only 2 Mbs, and found streaming (128 Kbs bitrate) MP3's worked
    fairly well. Nintendo, being Nintendo, could even a release a PC frontend
    software (for streaming) program for the kiddies as well. The kiddies would
    just drag and drop their MP3's into the program and it would do everything
    else for them, including security.

    - Web? I have a better idea. Something that would allow you to retrieve
    information, just like http, but much more efficient and geared more towards
    embedded uses. Its the same approach I take to piping data, from the
    internet, to LCD screens. Its nothing "new", just a better and more
    efficient approach. RSS! The DS should easily be able to handle not only
    text (and light graphic) RSS, but perhaps even RSS audio ("podcasts").

    Just my thoughts...

  12. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    "Eric" wrote in message
    newsHHLf.124700$Q11.116809@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

    >> - An email client. Thats a given. Email clients are low overhead.

    > Standard POP3.
    >
    > - MP3 player. It could even be do-able to stream MP3's from a local file
    > share, or even the internet, over the DS's wireless. I use my BE300 all

    the
    > time to stream MP3's. Experimenting, I even forced the wireless card to
    > connect at only 2 Mbs, and found streaming (128 Kbs bitrate) MP3's worked
    > fairly well. Nintendo, being Nintendo, could even a release a PC frontend
    > software (for streaming) program for the kiddies as well. The kiddies

    would
    > just drag and drop their MP3's into the program and it would do everything
    > else for them, including security.
    >
    > - Web? I have a better idea. Something that would allow you to retrieve
    > information, just like http, but much more efficient and geared more

    towards
    > embedded uses. Its the same approach I take to piping data, from the
    > internet, to LCD screens. Its nothing "new", just a better and more
    > efficient approach. RSS! The DS should easily be able to handle not only
    > text (and light graphic) RSS, but perhaps even RSS audio ("podcasts").
    >
    > Just my thoughts...

    Oh, add another "no brainer" to the list as well.

    - Instant Messenger. Combined ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ect. (There is one
    supposibly under development by a third party though.)

  13. Re: Nintendo Unveils DS Web Browser

    I'm hoping that DS2 has a web browser built in standard (like DS has
    Pictochat) and has more capable hardware (much faster CPU, more RAM)
    that is able to keep up with rapidly changing standards, and that Opera
    constantly releases updates downloadable over WiFi.

+ Reply to Thread