CPU for Sharp Zaurus? - Handheld

This is a discussion on CPU for Sharp Zaurus? - Handheld ; What CPU is used in the Sharp Zaurus? According to Sharp's Web-site, it is "proprietary" (16-bit) and does not mention the instruction set. Is it in fact programmable? Thanks....

  1. CPU for Sharp Zaurus?

    What CPU is used in the Sharp Zaurus? According to Sharp's Web-site,
    it is "proprietary" (16-bit) and does not mention the instruction
    set. Is it in fact programmable?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: CPU for Sharp Zaurus?

    Which Zaurus model do you refer to? A very old one?

    Most modern Zaurus models (C1000, C3100) use an Xscale, ARM compatible
    32bit CPU.

    -- hns

  3. Re: CPU for Sharp Zaurus?

    hns@computer.org wrote:

    : Which Zaurus model do you refer to? A very old one?

    : Most modern Zaurus models (C1000, C3100) use an Xscale, ARM compatible
    : 32bit CPU.

    : -- hns

    Thanks for the answer. I was unaware of these models, as I was referring
    to the 5800 and 6000, the only ones I could get info about from the
    site: www.myzaurus.com. The documentation said "proprietary", which is
    clearly _not_ the case for the XPU you mention.
    All this may be moot, since Sharp announces on their site that the
    developer site has been discontinued, so I won't plan to be developing
    any requested applications for the Zaurus, I guess.

    Thanks again!

  4. Re: CPU for Sharp Zaurus?

    Sharp is no longer selling any Zaurus model in the US or in Europe and
    they have shut down their marketing efforts last year.

    But there are companies who import from Japan where Sharp manufactures
    and sells.

    The Zaurus is a very nice device to develop for... You won't get many
    others which are as open.

    -- hns

+ Reply to Thread