Does this handheld exist? (suggestions please) - Handheld

This is a discussion on Does this handheld exist? (suggestions please) - Handheld ; I've got an iPAQ 2210 that I cannot do without, yet I wish it had the following features: 1) internal wi-fi 2) cell phone capabilities so I can ditch my brick cell phone 3) landscape mode 4) larger display for ...

  1. Does this handheld exist? (suggestions please)

    I've got an iPAQ 2210 that I cannot do without, yet I wish it had the
    following features:

    1) internal wi-fi
    2) cell phone capabilities so I can ditch my brick cell phone
    3) landscape mode
    4) larger display for pocket Excel which I use extensively
    5) extended battery sleeve to give at least an 8 hour battery life
    (full work day).

    I realize I can get an SD or CF wi-fi card for the 2210, but they are
    all $99 to $150 and that is 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new device which
    would have it built-in and far less flaky anyway.

    As far as I know, there is no way to make my 2210 a working cell phone
    with CF or SD expansion.

    Due to the nature of my job, I absoulutely cannot give up my stylus for
    those tiny, crapy, thumb button keyboards on the bottom of all the new
    devices. Stylus entry is a must!

    Is there such a device being offered? Who sells it?

    Many thanks for you suggestions,
    Brian

  2. Re: Does this handheld exist? (suggestions please)

    If you can use wifi, maybe you can make VOIP work. To be cell-phone capable
    is possible, but the only adapter that I have seen requires its own battery
    pack.

    I use a Dell Axim x50v
    Plantronics boom earbud.
    SJLabs software
    Vonage Softphone subscription
    for free wireless calls using free access via wifi.

    An oversize battery is available, as well as a charger for 12v.

    If your IAQ has full-duplex sound and fits a good headset with mic, it
    should work.

    "brianc" wrote in message
    news:1138078155.156427.83480@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I've got an iPAQ 2210 that I cannot do without, yet I wish it had the
    > following features:
    >
    > 1) internal wi-fi
    > 2) cell phone capabilities so I can ditch my brick cell phone
    > 3) landscape mode
    > 4) larger display for pocket Excel which I use extensively
    > 5) extended battery sleeve to give at least an 8 hour battery life
    > (full work day).
    >
    > I realize I can get an SD or CF wi-fi card for the 2210, but they are
    > all $99 to $150 and that is 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new device which
    > would have it built-in and far less flaky anyway.
    >
    > As far as I know, there is no way to make my 2210 a working cell phone
    > with CF or SD expansion.
    >
    > Due to the nature of my job, I absoulutely cannot give up my stylus for
    > those tiny, crapy, thumb button keyboards on the bottom of all the new
    > devices. Stylus entry is a must!
    >
    > Is there such a device being offered? Who sells it?
    >
    > Many thanks for you suggestions,
    > Brian

  3. Re: Does this handheld exist? (suggestions please)

    On 23 Jan 2006 20:49:15 -0800, "brianc" wrote:

    >I've got an iPAQ 2210 that I cannot do without, yet I wish it had the
    >following features:
    >
    >1) internal wi-fi

    Rather common on current Pocket PCs.

    >2) cell phone capabilities so I can ditch my brick cell phone

    Every Windows Mobile for Pocket PC Phone Edition is basically a Pocket
    PC with built-in phone. Every Windows Mobile for Smartphone is a phone
    with many features like a Pocket PC.

    >3) landscape mode

    Supported by Pocket PC 2003 SE and WM 5.

    >4) larger display for pocket Excel which I use extensively

    WM 5 screens generally have VGA resolution, but are physically not
    much larger than the old Pocket PC (1/4 VGA) screens. I have older
    eyes, but even I can see the difference. But I'm not sure about
    spreadsheets.

    >5) extended battery sleeve to give at least an 8 hour battery life
    >(full work day).

    WM 5 uses persistent storage, rather than RAM, for "disk" space. Thus,
    WM 5 devices use much less battery power. I haven't tested, but 8
    hours seems very likely.

    >I realize I can get an SD or CF wi-fi card for the 2210, but they are
    >all $99 to $150 and that is 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new device which
    >would have it built-in and far less flaky anyway.
    >
    >As far as I know, there is no way to make my 2210 a working cell phone
    >with CF or SD expansion.

    I have not looked, but have not seen any mention of such a thing.
    Could be nice.

    >Due to the nature of my job, I absoulutely cannot give up my stylus for
    >those tiny, crapy, thumb button keyboards on the bottom of all the new
    >devices. Stylus entry is a must!

    That eliminates WM 5 for Smartphone (they have _no_ stylus entry).

    I have an I-mate JasJar. It includes WM 5, 802.11, Bluetooth, GSM,
    _and_ CDMA (I haven't quite got the grasp of the cell phone acronyms,
    but think this means it supports multiple networks). It also has two
    cameras (a 1.3 Meg primary camera and lower res camera pointing
    towards the user for video conferencing). And it's display swivels so
    it can convert from a tablet to a clamshell. Definitely high geek.

    I really like it in some ways, and think it's silly in others. It
    definitely works with my SIM card, so it could replace my cell phone,
    but it is a bit bulky and I'm not sure about a case that would both
    protect it and provide access to the phone buttons. I'm a touch typist
    who has rarely used "thumboards", and am pleasantly surprised at how
    comfortably I can type with the keyboard using my thumbs. They stylus
    works well in either mode (tablet or clamshell). I'm a somewhat
    serious, somewhat fussy photographer; I think the resolution of the
    main camera would be OK for snapshots, but am not quite ready to do
    without a viewfinder. I haven't really tested battery life, but it
    seems significantly longer than for older devices I've used. It is
    _definitely_ heavier than earlier devices (and thus something of a
    brick), but still lighter than Pocket PC plus cell phone plus camera,
    and definitely less bulky.

    >Is there such a device being offered? Who sells it?

    Chris De Herrera's site has a good summary of the WM 5 for Pocket PC
    Phone Edition devices:
    http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/comp...50ppcphone.php

    Two possible vendors:
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/us/
    http://www.expansys.com/

    >Many thanks for you suggestions,
    >Brian

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Does this handheld exist? (suggestions please)

    The iPaq HX4700 might suit.......check it out!

    brianc wrote:
    > I've got an iPAQ 2210 that I cannot do without, yet I wish it had the
    > following features:
    >
    > 1) internal wi-fi
    > 2) cell phone capabilities so I can ditch my brick cell phone
    > 3) landscape mode
    > 4) larger display for pocket Excel which I use extensively
    > 5) extended battery sleeve to give at least an 8 hour battery life
    > (full work day).
    >
    > I realize I can get an SD or CF wi-fi card for the 2210, but they are
    > all $99 to $150 and that is 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new device which
    > would have it built-in and far less flaky anyway.
    >
    > As far as I know, there is no way to make my 2210 a working cell phone
    > with CF or SD expansion.
    >
    > Due to the nature of my job, I absoulutely cannot give up my stylus for
    > those tiny, crapy, thumb button keyboards on the bottom of all the new
    > devices. Stylus entry is a must!
    >
    > Is there such a device being offered? Who sells it?
    >
    > Many thanks for you suggestions,
    > Brian

+ Reply to Thread