Windows CE Emulation - Handheld

This is a discussion on Windows CE Emulation - Handheld ; I posted this on another CE newsgroup but after no response thought maybe it was the wrong newsgroup to consult HI I am a newbie (almost) to the world of windows CE and handheld PCs I had until recently shied ...

  1. Windows CE Emulation

    I posted this on another CE newsgroup but after no response thought
    maybe it was the wrong newsgroup to consult

    HI I am a newbie (almost) to the world of windows CE and handheld PCs
    I had until recently shied away from CE on the basis that it was
    likely to pale in comparison with 98x. However I will soon be taking

    delivery of a used HP Jornada 820 "handheld" (surely mini-notebook is a

    better description ?)
    that I bought for a most reasonable sum on ebay UK and wanted to try to

    get to know the operaring sytem in advance by running it on either a
    Pentium class desktop or on an old 486 notebook (where I fancied CE
    might possibly be a worthwhile substitute for DOS and Windows 3.1)
    I do not yet have the Jornada's CE/Pocket version program CDs but to
    get started I though it would be a simple matter of finding and
    downloading the CE program. but no the nearest I have got so far
    having googled many expressions is the setup program for a windows ce
    emulator from the Microsoft site but then found when trying to install
    on a 98SE PC that I would need either W2000 SP4 or WXP SP1 neither of
    which I have .I am trying to complete the build of a new XP desktop
    but felt sure that I'd be able to try CE out on the old 486 desktop. I
    did note that CE comes in various flavors to suit various CPUs such as

    the Jornada 820's Strongarm CPU
    but surely there is some way of emulating CE on other and lesser
    equipment??
    In particular I wanted to see how CE handles file listing on a
    Jornada's own internal RAM and a Compact Flash card and whether it
    features a sort of start menu and program listing like regular Windows
    since 95. Any thoughts will be gratefully received
    John Fowle

  2. Re: Windows CE Emulation

    On 17 Jan 2006 11:31:04 -0800, "johnfowles"
    wrote:

    >I posted this on another CE newsgroup but after no response thought
    >maybe it was the wrong newsgroup to consult

    This newsgroup is about the best fit for your 820. I'm curious about
    which newsgroup you tried earlier; I monitor a lot and didn't notice
    your post.

    >HI I am a newbie (almost) to the world of windows CE and handheld PCs
    > I had until recently shied away from CE on the basis that it was
    >likely to pale in comparison with 98x. However I will soon be taking
    >
    >delivery of a used HP Jornada 820 "handheld" (surely mini-notebook is a
    >
    >better description ?)

    It has some advantages, and some distinct disadvantages. Even your
    relatively large 820 is smaller than most laptops, and probably has a
    longer battery life. You are far less likely to get viruses. If you do
    want to restart, you can do a hard reset to restore the 820 to
    factory-fresh (clean operating system, no installed data or programs).
    But the Pocket apps (Word, etc.) are definitely subsets of their
    desktop versions.

    >that I bought for a most reasonable sum on ebay UK and wanted to try to
    >
    >get to know the operaring sytem in advance by running it on either a
    >Pentium class desktop or on an old 486 notebook (where I fancied CE
    >might possibly be a worthwhile substitute for DOS and Windows 3.1)

    Windows CE is not available retail. So you cannot buy a copy and
    install it.

    >I do not yet have the Jornada's CE/Pocket version program CDs but to
    >get started I though it would be a simple matter of finding and
    >downloading the CE program. but no the nearest I have got so far
    >having googled many expressions is the setup program for a windows ce
    >emulator from the Microsoft site but then found when trying to install
    >on a 98SE PC that I would need either W2000 SP4 or WXP SP1 neither of
    >which I have .I am trying to complete the build of a new XP desktop
    >but felt sure that I'd be able to try CE out on the old 486 desktop. I
    >did note that CE comes in various flavors to suit various CPUs such as
    >
    >the Jornada 820's Strongarm CPU
    >but surely there is some way of emulating CE on other and lesser
    >equipment??

    Nope. The only emulator for the HPC Pro platform (base operating
    system plus hardware specifications plus applications running on your
    820) is the one that comes with the HPC Pro SDK (software development
    kit) from Microsoft. It is meant for developers, works only with
    software compiled for it, requires an operating system that fully
    supports UNICODE, and is only a loose approximation of reality.

    >In particular I wanted to see how CE handles file listing on a
    >Jornada's own internal RAM and a Compact Flash card and whether it
    >features a sort of start menu and program listing like regular Windows
    >since 95. Any thoughts will be gratefully received

    The user interface (Task Bar, Start menu, desktop, etc.) will look
    familiar, but not quite identical.

    >John Fowle

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Windows CE Emulation

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:31:04 -0800, johnfowles wrote:

    > I posted this on another CE newsgroup but after no response thought maybe
    > it was the wrong newsgroup to consult

    Emulating CE is simple;

    - Switch off your PDA at random intervals whilst using it to emulate
    crashes.
    - Take out the batteries every so often so you lose all your data to
    emulate CE throwing it away.
    - Leave it switched on all night so the batteries are flat when you next
    come to use it, to emulate CE doing weird things and refusing to charge
    the batteries.
    - Use a dice to decide which applications to randomly uninstall to emulate
    CE losing your apps.

    Then go and buy a Filofax.

    Windows CE - Windows without the reliability, usability or stability of
    Windows.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  4. Re: Windows CE Emulation

    Very droll Huge many thanks for the warning
    John Fowles
    fowlesjohn@hotmail.com

  5. Re: Windows CE Emulation

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:04:17 -0800, johnfowles wrote:

    > Very droll Huge many thanks for the warning John Fowles

    Aren't you dead?

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  6. Re: Windows CE Emulation

    No Huge !!!
    If you go to my website:-
    http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/ you can read that I am only a budding Web
    Author but I do have a tribute/information /picture page there for my
    namesake and second favo(u)rite author
    Number one has to be Nevil Shute:-
    http://www.nevilshute.org/

  7. Re: Windows CE Emulation

    Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:19:57 +0000 received comm from
    Huge on channel comp.sys.handhelds:

    : Emulating Huge is simple;
    :
    : - Switch off your brain at random intervals whilst using it to emulate
    : crashes.
    : - Take out the pace maker batteries every so often so you lose all your data to
    : emulate Huge throwing it away.
    : - Leave Huge switched on all night so the pace masker batteries are flat when you next
    : come to use it, to emulate Huge doing weird things and refusing to charge
    : the pace maker batteries.
    : - Use a dice to decide which body parts to randomly uninstall to emulate
    : Huge losing his life.
    :
    : Then go and buy another doll.
    :
    : Huge - clueless animal without the reliability, usability or stability of
    : normal humans.

    Indeed.

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

  8. Re: Windows CE Emulation

    Captain's log. On StarDate 19 Jan 2006 12:04:17 -0800 received comm from
    "johnfowles" on channel comp.sys.handhelds:

    : Very droll Huge many thanks for the warning
    : John Fowles
    : fowlesjohn@hotmail.com

    Warning: Don't listen to "Huge".

    His a resident troll in these groups who always picks a figth or starts a flame
    bait against anyone who like Windows Mobile (CE, Pocket PC, Smartphone, etc).
    Check Google Groups for huge@huge.org.uk postings here to get the picture.

    He has absolutley no (good) life...

    His just probably an old grumpy man who is angry against Microsoft and feels
    hate towards them just beacuse Windows CE / Mobile outlived his Psion / EPOC
    handheld (which he now watches starving into obvilation with much anger and
    bitterness).

    Beacuse of this it's mostly very sorry for him, but he simply has to let his
    steam out somewhere (and these groups are perfect for that purpose). :-)

    To be a little bit more on the serious side; download this free CE emulator to
    get a good feeling for your upcoming Windows CE machine:

    Good luck!

    martin