TI59 Drive Roller Repair? (programmable calculator) - Handheld

This is a discussion on TI59 Drive Roller Repair? (programmable calculator) - Handheld ; It's pretty common nowdays to see repairs made to the decaying drive roller wheels on vintage HP programmable calculators. I've even done a few myself. But has anyone repaired TI drive rollers, say from a TI59 or an SR52? The ...

  1. TI59 Drive Roller Repair? (programmable calculator)

    It's pretty common nowdays to see repairs made to the decaying drive roller
    wheels on vintage HP programmable calculators. I've even done a few myself.
    But has anyone repaired TI drive rollers, say from a TI59 or an SR52?

    The HP repairs are easy, as there is a type of model airplane fuel hose that
    fits perfectly. But the TI requires a different diameter material. Has
    anyone experimented with this?

    -J

  2. Re: TI59 Drive Roller Repair? (programmable calculator)

    hallo,

    Do you have an idea for removing the labels WITHOUT disturbing them for hp
    calculators ??? thanks for your help
    info appreciated here in the newsgroup or via oe3pha@hotmail.com

    "John Crane" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > It's pretty common nowdays to see repairs made to the decaying drive

    roller
    > wheels on vintage HP programmable calculators. I've even done a few

    myself.
    > But has anyone repaired TI drive rollers, say from a TI59 or an SR52?
    >
    > The HP repairs are easy, as there is a type of model airplane fuel hose

    that
    > fits perfectly. But the TI requires a different diameter material. Has
    > anyone experimented with this?
    >
    > -J

  3. Re: TI59 Drive Roller Repair? (programmable calculator)

    Peter,

    You bring up a good point. On HP classic series calculators (HP
    35,45,55,65,67,70,80) there are 2 screws hidden under a thin metal label on
    the back of the calculators. You must access these screws to disassemble
    the calculators; but the metal is very thin and shows abuse easily.

    I've seen 4 approaches to this problem:

    1. To hell with the label, just punch right through and leave a hole. The
    logic here is "I'd rather marry a smart girl with an ugly butt than a
    brainless one with a cute butt."

    2. Meditation is the key, young grasshopper. A thin blade, heat from a
    hairdryer, and patience - much patience; allows the enlightened to pry the
    foil back to access the screws without creasing it. Bend back a lot of foil
    at a shallow angle because it's the sharp bends that cause creases. Once you
    get the edge of the foil up (most probably with a #11 xacto blade), switch
    to a blunt blade (a butter knife will do) to peel it back about 2cm. this
    will avoid the possibility of the sharp xacto blade point accidentally
    piercing the thin metal.

    3. Punch holes in the label, and fill the holes with small erasers, thereby
    making two extra rubber "feet" for the calculator.

    4. Years ago, I recall some PPC members made replica plates. So, if you
    could find one, just completely remove the old one and slap on a new one
    with light adhesive.

    Good luck,

    -J

    "Peter Hofmann" wrote in message
    news:784cd$43b7dc40$506d651c$4331@news.chello.at.. .
    > hallo,
    >
    > Do you have an idea for removing the labels WITHOUT disturbing them for hp
    > calculators ??? thanks for your help
    > info appreciated here in the newsgroup or via oe3pha@hotmail.com
    >
    > "John Crane" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > It's pretty common nowdays to see repairs made to the decaying drive

    > roller
    > > wheels on vintage HP programmable calculators. I've even done a few

    > myself.
    > > But has anyone repaired TI drive rollers, say from a TI59 or an SR52?
    > >
    > > The HP repairs are easy, as there is a type of model airplane fuel hose

    > that
    > > fits perfectly. But the TI requires a different diameter material. Has
    > > anyone experimented with this?
    > >
    > > -J

  4. Re: TI59 Drive Roller Repair? (programmable calculator)

    Thanks for info. Will try it.
    peter

    > Peter,
    >
    > You bring up a good point. On HP classic series calculators (HP
    > 35,45,55,65,67,70,80) there are 2 screws hidden under a thin metal label

    on
    > the back of the calculators. You must access these screws to disassemble
    > the calculators; but the metal is very thin and shows abuse easily.
    >
    > I've seen 4 approaches to this problem:
    >
    > 1. To hell with the label, just punch right through and leave a hole. The
    > logic here is "I'd rather marry a smart girl with an ugly butt than a
    > brainless one with a cute butt."
    >
    > 2. Meditation is the key, young grasshopper. A thin blade, heat from a
    > hairdryer, and patience - much patience; allows the enlightened to pry the
    > foil back to access the screws without creasing it. Bend back a lot of

    foil
    > at a shallow angle because it's the sharp bends that cause creases. Once

    you
    > get the edge of the foil up (most probably with a #11 xacto blade), switch
    > to a blunt blade (a butter knife will do) to peel it back about 2cm. this
    > will avoid the possibility of the sharp xacto blade point accidentally
    > piercing the thin metal.
    >
    > 3. Punch holes in the label, and fill the holes with small erasers,

    thereby
    > making two extra rubber "feet" for the calculator.
    >
    > 4. Years ago, I recall some PPC members made replica plates. So, if you
    > could find one, just completely remove the old one and slap on a new one
    > with light adhesive.
    >

    > Good luck,
    >
    > -J
    >

    > "Peter Hofmann" wrote in message
    > news:784cd$43b7dc40$506d651c$4331@news.chello.at.. .
    > > hallo,
    > >
    > > Do you have an idea for removing the labels WITHOUT disturbing them for

    hp
    > > calculators ??? thanks for your help
    > > info appreciated here in the newsgroup or via oe3pha@hotmail.com
    > >
    > > "John Crane" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > > It's pretty common nowdays to see repairs made to the decaying drive

    > > roller
    > > > wheels on vintage HP programmable calculators. I've even done a few

    > > myself.
    > > > But has anyone repaired TI drive rollers, say from a TI59 or an SR52?
    > > >
    > > > The HP repairs are easy, as there is a type of model airplane fuel

    hose
    > > that
    > > > fits perfectly. But the TI requires a different diameter material.

    Has
    > > > anyone experimented with this?
    > > >
    > > > -J

+ Reply to Thread