Herman - GEOS

This is a discussion on Herman - GEOS ; Hi, Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options? I mean the clock in World-Utilities. I assume it's a Herman that is/was well known in the US but no so here in Europe? And Skeleton? ...

  1. Herman

    Hi,

    Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options?
    I mean the clock in World-Utilities.
    I assume it's a Herman that is/was well known in the US but no so here in
    Europe?
    And Skeleton? I first thought I would get a skeleton as a clock. :-)

    Edward

  2. Re: Herman

    Hi Edward,

    Edward wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options?
    > I mean the clock in World-Utilities.
    > I assume it's a Herman that is/was well known in the US but no so here in
    > Europe?

    Well, I don't think the name is a reference to someone well known here
    in the USA. I looked in the source code to see if there is any comment
    as to the derivation of the name - there isn't. Maybe Gene or Steve can
    answer.

    > And Skeleton? I first thought I would get a skeleton as a clock. :-)

    Hehe - it's a skeleton of the digital clock (no background)!

    And I noticed that there isn't any help file for that clock. another
    item for my ToDo list.

    John ;-)

    > Edward

  3. Re: Herman

    Hi John, Edward,

    yes there is a background, even though the skeleton clock has no
    background. A skeleton is a special type of watch (or any piece of
    mechanic in general) that is not covered by any opaque material (dial,
    back, etc.). So, the watch case is transparent, front and back (you can
    see through). Of course, you can also have digital skeleton, but they
    are much more boring objects.

    I am living in the part of Switzerland where the most famous swiss
    watches are built. These are marvels (although a bit expensive).

    You can see an example of a mechanical skeleton that is produced here or
    not far (ladies or gents skeleton wristwatch, see
    http://www.chatelco.com/html/parmigiani_-_skeleton.html
    http://www.chatelco.com/html/vachero...lon_malte.html
    transparent back :
    http://www.chatelco.com/html/vachero...lon_malte.html
    ).
    But the most beautiful one may be the F.P. Journe watches :
    http://www.chatelco.com/html/fpjourne_tourbillon.html Although these are
    not really skeleton, you can partly see the mechanism.

    Enjoy (look but do not touch !)

    Philippe.

    John Howard wrote:

    > Hi Edward,
    >
    > Edward wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options?
    >> I mean the clock in World-Utilities.
    >> I assume it's a Herman that is/was well known in the US but no so here in
    >> Europe?

    > Well, I don't think the name is a reference to someone well known here
    > in the USA. I looked in the source code to see if there is any comment
    > as to the derivation of the name - there isn't. Maybe Gene or Steve can
    > answer.
    >
    >> And Skeleton? I first thought I would get a skeleton as a clock. :-)

    > Hehe - it's a skeleton of the digital clock (no background)!
    >
    > And I noticed that there isn't any help file for that clock. another
    > item for my ToDo list.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >

    >> Edward

  4. Re: Herman

    Wow,

    Thanks Philippe,
    These are indeed marvellous pieces of instrumentary.

    Anyway one of my probs is solved.
    Now for Herman.I can't imagine it's the Herman(n) we all know? :-)
    Gene? Steve?

    Edward

    "Philippe Dallemagne" escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi John, Edward,
    >
    > yes there is a background, even though the skeleton clock has no
    > background. A skeleton is a special type of watch (or any piece of
    > mechanic in general) that is not covered by any opaque material (dial,
    > back, etc.). So, the watch case is transparent, front and back (you can
    > see through). Of course, you can also have digital skeleton, but they
    > are much more boring objects.
    >
    > I am living in the part of Switzerland where the most famous swiss
    > watches are built. These are marvels (although a bit expensive).
    >
    > You can see an example of a mechanical skeleton that is produced here or
    > not far (ladies or gents skeleton wristwatch, see
    > http://www.chatelco.com/html/parmigiani_-_skeleton.html
    > http://www.chatelco.com/html/vachero...lon_malte.html
    > transparent back :
    > http://www.chatelco.com/html/vachero...lon_malte.html
    > ).
    > But the most beautiful one may be the F.P. Journe watches :
    > http://www.chatelco.com/html/fpjourne_tourbillon.html Although these are
    > not really skeleton, you can partly see the mechanism.
    >
    > Enjoy (look but do not touch !)
    >
    > Philippe.
    >

    > John Howard wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Edward,
    > >
    > > Edward wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options?
    > >> I mean the clock in World-Utilities.
    > >> I assume it's a Herman that is/was well known in the US but no so here

    in
    > >> Europe?

    > > Well, I don't think the name is a reference to someone well known here
    > > in the USA. I looked in the source code to see if there is any comment
    > > as to the derivation of the name - there isn't. Maybe Gene or Steve can
    > > answer.
    > >
    > >> And Skeleton? I first thought I would get a skeleton as a clock. :-)

    > > Hehe - it's a skeleton of the digital clock (no background)!
    > >
    > > And I noticed that there isn't any help file for that clock. another
    > > item for my ToDo list.
    > >
    > > John ;-)
    > >

    > >> Edward

  5. Re: Herman

    Hi John,
    "John Howard" escribió en el mensaje

    > Hi Edward,
    >

    > Well, I don't think the name is a reference to someone well known here
    > in the USA. I looked in the source code to see if there is any comment
    > as to the derivation of the name - there isn't. Maybe Gene or Steve can
    > answer.
    >
    > John ;-)

    To me he looks a bit like Gabriel García Marquez.

    :-D

    Edward

  6. Re: Herman

    "Edward" wrote:

    > Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options?

    Hi Edward

    Sorry, I can't help about who Herman was named after, but I remembered
    this from a GeoBytes (May 92, p7) that at least fills out a little
    detail about him:

    "GeoWorks ESCAPE owners will be familiar with this little fellow and
    may have wondered where he was born. Here's what Adam de Boor, one of
    the GeoWorks engineers, had to say: "Herman is like sex on TV: if you
    don't like him, you don't have to watch him. I'm very fond of Herman,
    perhaps because of the history behind him. He, in a different form,
    was really the first application written for PC/GEOS that did anything
    graphical (up until that time, there were basically applications that
    tested the heap and the pre-emptive multi-tasking by spewing
    characters to the screen with the video BIOS in order to show what
    they were doing). Doug (one of the engineers) wrote him to test
    clipping in the window system and the graphics system, and test it he
    did. We also used him to test timers (his eyeballs would bounce from
    side to side), the keyboard driver (his eyeballs would change
    direction when you hit certain keystrokes), and the various mouse
    drivers (his nose would change color if you clicked with the left
    button and would get wider if you clicked with the right button). So
    you see, Herman is an integral part of PC/GEOS. Love him.""

    Cheers,

    Tim

  7. Re: Herman

    Herman was also include ESCAPE-Pack for GeoWorks 1.* ;-)

    Froehliche Weihnachten!

    Gruss Johannes

  8. Re: Herman

    Hi Tim,

    Thanks a lot for the info. I can imagine the Geos engineers loved this
    fellow!

    Edward

    "Tim" escribió en el mensaje
    news:6be7f7dd.0312222341.196d8cf1@posting.google.c om...
    > "Edward" wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options?

    > Hi Edward
    >
    > Sorry, I can't help about who Herman was named after, but I remembered
    > this from a GeoBytes (May 92, p7) that at least fills out a little
    > detail about him:
    >
    > "GeoWorks ESCAPE owners will be familiar with this little fellow and
    > may have wondered where he was born. Here's what Adam de Boor, one of
    > the GeoWorks engineers, had to say: "Herman is like sex on TV: if you
    > don't like him, you don't have to watch him. I'm very fond of Herman,
    > perhaps because of the history behind him. He, in a different form,
    > was really the first application written for PC/GEOS that did anything
    > graphical (up until that time, there were basically applications that
    > tested the heap and the pre-emptive multi-tasking by spewing
    > characters to the screen with the video BIOS in order to show what
    > they were doing). Doug (one of the engineers) wrote him to test
    > clipping in the window system and the graphics system, and test it he
    > did. We also used him to test timers (his eyeballs would bounce from
    > side to side), the keyboard driver (his eyeballs would change
    > direction when you hit certain keystrokes), and the various mouse
    > drivers (his nose would change color if you clicked with the left
    > button and would get wider if you clicked with the right button). So
    > you see, Herman is an integral part of PC/GEOS. Love him.""
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Tim

  9. Re: Herman

    Calling Adam de Boor "one of the GeoWorks engineers" is like calling
    Lance Armstrong one of the bicycle riders in the Tour de France.

    John ;-)

    Tim wrote:
    > "Edward" wrote:
    >

    >>Can anyone explain to me the name of Herman in the Clock Options?

    > Hi Edward
    >
    > Sorry, I can't help about who Herman was named after, but I remembered
    > this from a GeoBytes (May 92, p7) that at least fills out a little
    > detail about him:
    >
    > "GeoWorks ESCAPE owners will be familiar with this little fellow and
    > may have wondered where he was born. Here's what Adam de Boor, one of
    > the GeoWorks engineers, had to say: "Herman is like sex on TV: if you
    > don't like him, you don't have to watch him. I'm very fond of Herman,
    > perhaps because of the history behind him. He, in a different form,
    > was really the first application written for PC/GEOS that did anything
    > graphical (up until that time, there were basically applications that
    > tested the heap and the pre-emptive multi-tasking by spewing
    > characters to the screen with the video BIOS in order to show what
    > they were doing). Doug (one of the engineers) wrote him to test
    > clipping in the window system and the graphics system, and test it he
    > did. We also used him to test timers (his eyeballs would bounce from
    > side to side), the keyboard driver (his eyeballs would change
    > direction when you hit certain keystrokes), and the various mouse
    > drivers (his nose would change color if you clicked with the left
    > button and would get wider if you clicked with the right button). So
    > you see, Herman is an integral part of PC/GEOS. Love him.""
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Tim

+ Reply to Thread