Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins - GEOS

This is a discussion on Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins - GEOS ; Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy taking 11 minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk? When I copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

  1. Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy taking 11
    minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk? When I
    copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a minute (probably less
    than 30 seconds). I've noticed that my disks get corrupt sometimes when
    doing this export proceadure.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

  2. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    Hi Wayne,

    Interesting. Same thing happens to me here. But it doesn't when
    exporting to Word. I can't explain it right now, but I'm putting it on
    the list of things to check out.

    In the meanwhile, I guess the old doctor's advice to his patient who
    said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." applies. The doc said "Then
    don't do that."

    John ;-)

    Wayne wrote:

    > Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy taking 11
    > minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk? When
    > I copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a minute (probably
    > less than 30 seconds). I've noticed that my disks get corrupt sometimes
    > when doing this export proceadure.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Wayne.

  3. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    I did not want to sound insulting, but I guess is that the program is
    using the floppy disk as temporary work space (really bad programming
    practice) for the proceadure. It could be that a different person wrote
    the RTF routine from the MS-word one. If it is so then maybe the rest of
    their work needs to be checked. I don't know about the trashing of the
    disk, maybe rewriting one sector continously for 11 minmutes causes it.

    Thanks again John

    Wayne.

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:28:00 -0800, John Howard wrote:

    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    > Interesting. Same thing happens to me here. But it doesn't when
    > exporting to Word. I can't explain it right now, but I'm putting it on
    > the list of things to check out.
    >
    > In the meanwhile, I guess the old doctor's advice to his patient who
    > said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." applies. The doc said "Then
    > don't do that."
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > Wayne wrote:
    >
    >> Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy taking
    >> 11 minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk?
    >> When I copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a minute
    >> (probably less than 30 seconds). I've noticed that my disks get
    >> corrupt sometimes when doing this export proceadure.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Wayne.

  4. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    I have noticed a few things with the ISA GUI interface of Breadbox and
    it's predecessors, and I can't seem to find the disk check/repair I
    remember from 2.1.

    For instance when you do something like export a write file you have to
    type in the new name (after you delete the "unamed" text in the filename
    box). The text box doesn't uatomatically select the automatic "unamed"
    text for deletion, allow you to select an existing file name from the file
    list, or automatically give the existing file name stripped of extension,
    like windows can. There is also no "send to A drive" sort of left button
    menue item. These little type of things would make it easier to work
    with. I found this to be the case in BEOS, even though it was great at
    certain things it still needed minor improvements to help the processs
    move along compared to Windows.

    Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup can
    list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    Ensemble Improvements thread"?

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:28:00 -0800, John Howard wrote:

    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    > Interesting. Same thing happens to me here. But it doesn't when
    > exporting to Word. I can't explain it right now, but I'm putting it on
    > the list of things to check out.
    >
    > In the meanwhile, I guess the old doctor's advice to his patient who
    > said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." applies. The doc said "Then
    > don't do that."
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > Wayne wrote:
    >
    >> Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy taking
    >> 11 minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk?
    >> When I copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a minute
    >> (probably less than 30 seconds). I've noticed that my disks get
    >> corrupt sometimes when doing this export proceadure.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Wayne.

  5. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    Hi Wayne,

    Don't know if I get this right or if this will satisfy you.
    For your -send to- question:
    1- Look at Gene's Tvåkatter for BackdoorMan(Konstantin Meyer)
    It adds a plug-in in the Utilities menu of GeoManager for an OPEN WITH
    option and also a SEND TO (copy)option.
    Konstantin added some info about how to add your own folders and drives to
    the SEND TO option.
    Very nice work.
    2. But also in Writer you can use a Send To option! In File\Other\Move To
    you can send it to any drive or folder you want, although you move it in
    stead of copy. :-(

    Edward Nijs

    newspr0hn5elagcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...

    wrote:

    > > Hi Wayne,
    > >
    > > Interesting. Same thing happens to me here. But it doesn't when
    > > exporting to Word. I can't explain it right now, but I'm putting it on

    > > the list of things to check out.
    > >
    > > In the meanwhile, I guess the old doctor's advice to his patient who
    > > said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." applies. The doc said "Then
    > > don't do that."
    > >
    > > John ;-)
    > >
    > > Wayne wrote:
    > >
    > >> Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy taking
    > >> 11 minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk?
    > >> When I copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a minute
    > >> (probably less than 30 seconds). I've noticed that my disks get
    > >> corrupt sometimes when doing this export proceadure.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Wayne.
    > >>

    > --

  6. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    Hi Wayne,

    Wayne wrote:
    > I have noticed a few things with the ISA GUI interface of Breadbox and
    > it's predecessors, and I can't seem to find the disk check/repair I
    > remember from 2.1.

    Hmmm... I don't recall anyhting like that. I just checked my copy of
    Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 and see nothing like a disk check or repair program.

    > For instance when you do something like export a write file you have to
    > type in the new name (after you delete the "unamed" text in the filename
    > box). The text box doesn't uatomatically select the automatic "unamed"
    > text for deletion,

    Yes, that's a nice touch that happes in many other parts of Ensemble.
    It's now on my list.

    > allow you to select an existing file name from the
    > file list, or automatically give the existing file name stripped of
    > extension, like windows can.

    Well, having the existing file name stripped of extension hilighted in
    the new name field isn't a workable move since Geos long names don't
    have any extension and the underlying DOS name of the Writer file has a
    ..00x extension tacked on the first eight characters of the Geos long
    name. And those first eight characters have a high probability of not
    being suitable for the exported fiile name. You'll also notice that the
    export file choices are all DOS file types (more or less). And since we
    don't know whether the OS on which you're running Ensemble can do long
    file or names the save as is restricted to the old 8.3 naming convention.

    > There is also no "send to A drive" sort of
    > left button menue item.

    Right, there isn't. But there's a drive pull down list at the top right
    of the file selector. All right there in the Expot/Save As dialog
    box. No extra menus to click on.

    > These little type of things would make it
    > easier to work with. I found this to be the case in BEOS, even though
    > it was great at certain things it still needed minor improvements to
    > help the processs move along compared to Windows.

    I guess what some folks would call improvements are just extra stuff to
    other folks. And vice versa. That's why we have two diffierent Look
    and Feel choices with several customizations available for each.

    > Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup can
    > list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    > Ensemble Improvements thread"?

    Absolutely!

    John ;-)

    > Thanks
    >
    > Wayne.
    >
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:28:00 -0800, John Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Wayne,
    >>
    >> Interesting. Same thing happens to me here. But it doesn't when
    >> exporting to Word. I can't explain it right now, but I'm putting it
    >> on the list of things to check out.
    >>
    >> In the meanwhile, I guess the old doctor's advice to his patient who
    >> said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." applies. The doc said "Then
    >> don't do that."
    >>
    >> John ;-)
    >>
    >> Wayne wrote:
    >>
    >>> Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy taking
    >>> 11 minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk?
    >>> When I copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a minute
    >>> (probably less than 30 seconds). I've noticed that my disks get
    >>> corrupt sometimes when doing this export proceadure.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Wayne.

  7. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:28:05 -0800, John Howard wrote:

    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    > Wayne wrote:
    >
    > Hmmm... I don't recall anyhting like that. I just checked my copy of
    > Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 and see nothing like a disk check or repair
    > program.

    It was not a seperate program but a menue item, I will have to reinstall
    it one day to have a look.

    > Yes, that's a nice touch that happes in many other parts of Ensemble.
    > It's now on my list.

    Yes this is one of the reasons I never went to newdeal office, when I
    tried it I was continuallty frustrated by all the little things I had to
    do by hand instead. One had something to do with going up and down
    directories to get to where I wanted to go, I think each time you saved
    you were put back to the document directory rather than the last filename
    and directory you used, things of that nature.

    >> allow you to select an existing file name from the file list, or
    >> automatically give the existing file name stripped of extension, like
    >> windows can.

    > Well, having the existing file name stripped of extension hilighted in
    > the new name field isn't a workable move since Geos long names don't
    > have any extension and the underlying DOS name of the Writer file has a

    Sorry I meant the rtf, doc, wpd extendions saved with different word pro
    formats, so would just cursor right and type the new extension, or the
    program put it in when choose export type. Being able to display modern
    long file names is good too.

    One thing frustratingly missing in many word processors is the ability to
    stay in a given wordprocessing format without manually
    importing/exporting. My wordperfect also allows you to select the export
    format in the save dialogue (file type). Where once the file is opened in
    it's correct format (imported) it can optionally automactically import
    from that format when open across shutdowns and allways export back to
    that format during a save. So the alteration is: open (import) to
    Geowrite format edits/shutdowns, save (export) to native format, otherwise
    the same internal code is used as before. They probably didn't do these
    things with the ISA interface beacause it would confuse existing users too
    much, but a transition help check box on the level selector to show dummy
    menue items in place of the missing export and imports, where they open
    the replacement opotion and a help ballon message advises people to go to
    that replacement options instead in this new version, probably would have
    solved this.

    > being suitable for the exported fiile name. You'll also notice that the
    > export file choices are all DOS file types (more or less). And since we
    > don't know whether the OS on which you're running Ensemble can do long
    > file or names the save as is restricted to the old 8.3 naming convention.

    Maybe if you had a tick box, or setup option to enable windows long file
    name use, or recognition. Tehre are only three levels Windows long file
    names exclusive, Geos standard, and a mixtue of the two depending on
    wherever the file allready uses it or the user selcts it to be used
    instead.

    >> These little type of things would make it easier to work with. I found
    >> this to be the case in BEOS, even though it was great at certain things
    >> it still needed minor improvements to help the processs move along
    >> compared to Windows.

    > I guess what some folks would call improvements are just extra stuff to
    > other folks. And vice versa. That's why we have two diffierent Look
    > and Feel choices with several customizations available for each.

    Thats right, but when you want to work fast and smoothly these sort of
    minor improvements (standard in windows and office) come in real handy. I
    think the real trest is to train up a range of people to use geowrite and
    show them the new feature, they allready competnt in the old features if
    they think it's great and they wouldn't want to do without it then it may
    be a really good feature.

    >> Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup
    >> can list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    >> Ensemble Improvements thread"?

    > Absolutely!
    >
    > John ;-)

    Well give me a week or too and I might start up a post askign for minor
    interface improvements to Breadbox, or you guys can do it instead. It
    will probably produce results nearly as good as hiring program testers.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

  8. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    Wow thanks,

    That does really help, I have a lot of stuff off that site but it will be
    weeks and weeks before I can get around to installing it (I have finsihed
    my essays and my sue of Breadbox for a while).

    Maybe Breadbox could pay some of these people to integrate their code
    (with changes to suit Breadbox's desired look and feel for ensemble of
    course) into a future version and patch of Breadbox, it probably may be
    a lot cheaper than getting a programmer to rewrite it.

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:07:52 +0100, Edward wrote:

    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    > Don't know if I get this right or if this will satisfy you.
    > For your -send to- question:
    > 1- Look at Gene's Tvåkatter for BackdoorMan(Konstantin Meyer)
    > It adds a plug-in in the Utilities menu of GeoManager for an OPEN WITH
    > option and also a SEND TO (copy)option.
    > Konstantin added some info about how to add your own folders and drives
    > the SEND TO option.
    > Very nice work.
    > 2. But also in Writer you can use a Send To option! In File\Other\Move To
    > you can send it to any drive or folder you want, although you move it in
    > stead of copy. :-(
    >
    > Edward Nijs

    Thanks

    Wayne.

  9. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    Hi Wayne,

    back in the time where a floppy disk was necessary to store data away
    from my 105MB HD, I had Norton Cache (for DOS, of course) installed.
    It was delaying writes to the disk and cacheing reads. Moreover, it was
    reordering writes so that it would write data on the same track first
    (to reduce stepping) and it removed duplicate writes (when data was
    overwritten again and again like in the VM file directory or the disk
    FAT).
    This way I was able to use a floppy almost as fast as the HD. It was
    even possible to open files from disk and use/alter them without growing
    old while waiting for the disk

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  10. Re: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

    Good, but something that should have been standard, but with MS so slack
    everybody can afford to be

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:45:35 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    > back in the time where a floppy disk was necessary to store data away
    > from my 105MB HD, I had Norton Cache (for DOS, of course) installed.
    > It was delaying writes to the disk and cacheing reads. Moreover, it was
    > reordering writes so that it would write data on the same track first
    > (to reduce stepping) and it removed duplicate writes (when data was
    > overwritten again and again like in the VM file directory or the disk
    > FAT).
    > This way I was able to use a floppy almost as fast as the HD. It was
    > even possible to open files from disk and use/alter them without growing
    > old while waiting for the disk
    >
    > Grossibaer

  11. Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Well here I am not quiet ready to do this but timeis getting along.

    I talked to John a few weeks ago, and we said:

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:28:05 -0800, John Howard wrote:
    >> Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup
    >> can list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    >> Ensemble Improvements thread"?

    > Absolutely!
    >
    > John ;-)

    So here we go, it is a lot easier to improve minor things in Breadbox than
    to add Java, window drivers, making Geowrite function under Windows XP
    windows like a normal windows program (hint hint) etc. So does anybody
    havce suggestions for minor improvements (and example web links) to the
    GUI, the way Breadbox or it's applications and utilities work (see below
    for examples), or new minor utilities, features and functions. This is
    not a thread for debates on improvements, just list them and let Breadbox
    do with them as they wish (especially with interface stuff, patents could
    stop them from adopting good suggestions).

    - The one thing that came back to memory recently was spell checking, the
    way MS Word spell checked (and accuracy) was quiet good 5 years ago,
    Wordperfect was not up to scratch but a lot faster to use and still better
    to spell check than Geowrite. Theasaurus functions were good as well on
    Wordperfect for finding the right word, but not as important as the
    improved spell checking.

    It has been weeks since I used Geowrite spell checking again, but from
    memory the greatest problem isthat it is slow to use compared to the
    others because of it's layout. The following functions would be good in
    a interface layout that lets you use single keystrokes (and some tabing)
    (without wiping out selction) or mouse clicks to select any of them.
    Replace individual occurence, replace all occurences in document, ignore
    individual, ignore all, add to document dictionary, add to global
    dictionarie/s, having all replacement suggestions in an open list with two
    selection feilds for the mostlikely suggested spelling and the other with
    the origional spelling (incase the user wishes to rewrite the origional
    word ie the replacement is not in the list). The only other thing is that
    the spellchecking interface has a tendacy to get infront of the document
    veiw and has to be moved, if it occupied it's own seperate dynamically
    allocated space above or below the document it would work well, things
    like find/replace would also be good in the tool bar.

    - Find and Replace, with todays documents you want to find anything,
    anywhere, so wild cards for anything, for numeral characters, for letters,
    and for special characters, of single, any number of characters, or set
    number of characters length. When opening either preselecting in the
    fields the last used find and replace items or automactically substituting
    the on screen highlighted text. Special characters selections and case
    selection. These are simular functions to what you will find in the Unix
    command interface (and pearl I think).

    Basically the way the Windows GUI works in programs is pretty good, fast
    and efficent (with a few exceptions).

    I appologise if I recovered some features allready in Geowrite, my memory
    is not that accurate at the moment.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    ---Origional message
> [...]

    > and Feel choices with several customizations available for each.
    >

    >> Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup
    >> can list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    >> Ensemble Improvements thread"?

    > Absolutely!
    >
    > John ;-)
    >

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Wayne.
    >>
    >> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:28:00 -0800, John Howard
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Wayne,
    >>>
    >>> Interesting. Same thing happens to me here. But it doesn't when
    >>> exporting to Word. I can't explain it right now, but I'm putting it
    >>> on the list of things to check out.
    >>>
    >>> In the meanwhile, I guess the old doctor's advice to his patient who
    >>> said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." applies. The doc said "Then

  12. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:25:43 +1000, Wayne
    wrote:

    >Well here I am not quiet ready to do this but timeis getting along.
    >
    >I talked to John a few weeks ago, and we said:
    >
    >On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:28:05 -0800, John Howard wrote:
    >>> Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup
    >>> can list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    >>> Ensemble Improvements thread"?

    >> Absolutely!

    I am using GeoFile / NewFile quite a bit, but it could do with some
    improvements:

    - list layouts directly in the layout menu in data entry mode
    - make creation of list layouts easier (i.e. not needing to switch
    between single and multiple record view to align all the bits)
    - allow automatic insertions, e.g. current date in multilayout view
    - allow cross-record calculations (e.g. compute the overall sum of a
    number field across the whole database)
    - mark records by using an empty record where you can fill in several
    search terms (rather than using the complicated formula method)
    - there is a bug: "Delete all marked" does not do what it says
    - a field for inserting running numbers automatically (record counter)
    - allow CSV export with first line containing field names

    On a more general scale, what about a "most recently used files"
    feature?

    Righ-click Copy and Paste?

    Annoying: The more you use the Web Browser, the less stable it
    becomes. There must be some hidden files or features that make it
    crash. Mine can just about load one page. As soon as I click on a
    link, the screen freezes. This used to be much better. I don't know
    what the cause is.

    More amitious: A new file manager. In Windows, I am using 2xExplorer,
    which has a Norton Comander style feel to it. Something like this
    (with fewer features, of course) would be nice.

    Is this enough? ;-)

    Holger

  13. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Good, exactly right. An interface and file manager soo good, fast to use,
    and efficent, you never have to touch Dos or windows, outside of running
    programs, should be an objective.

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:17:03 GMT, Holger Laux
    wrote:

    > Is this enough? ;-)
    >

    > Holger

    Thanks

    Wayne.

  14. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    YAWN. <> There ain't nobody to do nothin' as there ain't no
    money and there ain't no way to generate any.

    newspr1to45qvgcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...

    wrote:

    > > Hi Wayne,
    > >
    > > Wayne wrote:
    > >> I have noticed a few things with the ISA GUI interface of Breadbox and
    > >> it's predecessors, and I can't seem to find the disk check/repair I
    > >> remember from 2.1.

    > > Hmmm... I don't recall anyhting like that. I just checked my copy of
    > > Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 and see nothing like a disk check or repair
    > > program.
    > >

    > >> For instance when you do something like export a write file you have to
    > >> type in the new name (after you delete the "unamed" text in the
    > >> filename box). The text box doesn't uatomatically select the automatic
    > >> "unamed" text for deletion,

    > > Yes, that's a nice touch that happes in many other parts of Ensemble.
    > > It's now on my list.
    > >
    > >> allow you to select an existing file name from the file list, or
    > >> automatically give the existing file name stripped of extension, like
    > >> windows can.

    > > Well, having the existing file name stripped of extension hilighted in
    > > the new name field isn't a workable move since Geos long names don't
    > > have any extension and the underlying DOS name of the Writer file has a
    > > .00x extension tacked on the first eight characters of the Geos long
    > > name. And those first eight characters have a high probability of not
    > > being suitable for the exported fiile name. You'll also notice that the
    > > export file choices are all DOS file types (more or less). And since we
    > > don't know whether the OS on which you're running Ensemble can do long
    > > file or names the save as is restricted to the old 8.3 naming

    convention.

    > >> There is also no "send to A drive" sort of left button menue item.

    > > Right, there isn't. But there's a drive pull down list at the top right
    > > of the file selector. All right there in the Expot/Save As dialog
    > > box. No extra menus to click on.
    > >
    > >> These little type of things would make it easier to work with. I found
    > >> this to be the case in BEOS, even though it was great at certain things
    > >> it still needed minor improvements to help the processs move along
    > >> compared to Windows.

    > > I guess what some folks would call improvements are just extra stuff to
    > > other folks. And vice versa. That's why we have two diffierent Look
    > > and Feel choices with several customizations available for each.
    > >

    > >> Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup
    > >> can list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    > >> Ensemble Improvements thread"?

    > > Absolutely!
    > >
    > > John ;-)
    > >

    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Wayne.

    > --

  15. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Having just read a chapter of Winnie The Pooh to my grand daughter, I
    must remark on the similarity between this poster and Eeyore!!

    John ;-)

    Bob wrote:

> [...]

    >>>.00x extension tacked on the first eight characters of the Geos long
    >>>name. And those first eight characters have a high probability of not
    >>>being suitable for the exported fiile name. You'll also notice that the
    >>>export file choices are all DOS file types (more or less). And since we
    >>>don't know whether the OS on which you're running Ensemble can do long
    >>>file or names the save as is restricted to the old 8.3 naming

    > convention.

    >>>Right, there isn't. But there's a drive pull down list at the top right
    >>> of the file selector. All right there in the Expot/Save As dialog
    >>>box. No extra menus to click on.

    >>>I guess what some folks would call improvements are just extra stuff to
    >>>other folks. And vice versa. That's why we have two diffierent Look
    >>>and Feel choices with several customizations available for each.

  16. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > YAWN. <> There ain't nobody to do nothin' as there ain't

    no
    > money and there ain't no way to generate any.

    The Russian programmers are superior to the Germans and, and could easily
    pick up where they fell down and add all the stuff that Wayne wants! They
    will work for Vodka.

  17. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Hey Dude, this aren't no forum for disputes, if you want to keep dreaming
    a nightmare, dream another thread!

    On a more seriouse note for everybody here, if the case of money is so
    vital one possible alternative (though veery unpopular with some) would be
    to allow public domain geos programmers to do the coding imporvements free
    of charge. This might be a first outside of freeware OS's, but you could
    veiw Breadbox as taking the place of something like a profitable
    distibutor like Red Hat in Linux. Unlike Linux though, improved code
    would have to be arranged with, agreed with and accepted by Breadbox
    first, would have to completely follow Breadboxes desired documentation
    guidlines, and coding guidelines and policies, and be completely free for
    them to change at will in future with all ownership for the Geos version
    transfered to them. This allows Breadbox to maintain normal autominy and
    ownership, so Breadbox becomes distributor and administrator, and makes
    profit from that. If profit is desired by programmers then normal
    breadbox office could be free from profit and oem/embedded versions could
    be slight profit sharing. Still another statergy could be to modify Open
    Linux software (DVD player etc) to work on Breadbox as a freeware product
    (not controlled or own by Breadbox).

    Still again for everybody, if anybody wants to dispute this or anything
    else, please start another thread on it and please get stuck into it, so
    as to keep this thread free for suggestions.

    Now I might have done something wrong with posting this thread, I replied
    with a new subject line to the "Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins" thread and
    it comes up hidden under the previouse thread's message tree instead of a
    new thread. So many other posters might not see it because it is hidden
    on their systems as well. So could I ask the administrator to please move
    this new thread tree to it's own thread?

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:35:18 GMT, Bob wrote:

    > YAWN. <> There ain't nobody to do nothin' as there
    > ain't no
    > money and there ain't no way to generate any.

  18. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    In article ,
    Wayne wrote:
    >Good, exactly right. An interface and file manager soo good, fast to use,
    >and efficent, you never have to touch Dos or windows, outside of running
    >programs, should be an objective.

    Some things I'd like to see are:

    Better sound/MIDI drivers -- I think the current ones support only 8-bit
    sound or something.

    A MIDI file player/jukebox (David Givens wrote a very simple one,
    but it crashes under NDO2000)

    A command-line interface that one can actually write ANSI C programs
    or shell scripts for, like Givens' GAP program. Simple stuff, like
    sh, cp, awk, sed, vi, etc. The ability to launch GEOS apps from
    the CLI would be a plus. Cron would be way cool. (Unfortunately,
    GAP is too slow and does not accept pen input. :-()

    Better access to BIOS APM power management functions, including the
    capability to suspend/hibernate laptops from with GEOS. I currently
    shell out to DOS and run APMANAGE.EXE

    A backup program. Ability to schedule backups would be a definite plus.
    So would the ability to automatically compress backups using zip.

    SOMEthing that would keep NDO from crashing so often under Linux/DOSEmu.

    An SSH client.

    A .WMF impex filter. I have a CD of 10,000 pieces of clip art, all
    Windows meta-file format. Can't access it under GEOS.

    That's all (all?!!!) I can think of at the moment.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  19. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    "Wayne" wrote in message
    newspr1umquzrgcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > Hey Dude, this aren't no forum for disputes, if you want to keep dreaming
    > a nightmare, dream another thread!

    I'm just stating what seems to me to be obvious. The Rooskies are better
    hackers and developers. What the heck, why not give them a chance. The
    current GEOS hacker community has fizzled out in making significant advances
    in the decade they have been screwing around with PC-GEOS..

    > On a more seriouse note for everybody here, if the case of money is so
    > vital one possible alternative (though veery unpopular with some) would be
    > to allow public domain geos programmers to do the coding imporvements free
    > of charge.

    Who currently owns GEOS source code and intelectual property? In addition,
    since Geoworks did lots of side deals on licensing bits and pieces of GEOS,
    all those rabbit holes would have to be visited and approvals from the court
    received. ELSE, Law Suits!!!

    HINT: By end-gaming GEOS, no law suits, no problems.

    Besides, I think its unanimous around here that GEOS has had enough
    opportunities to establish itself, now that its a 15 year old design.

  20. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:17:03 GMT, holger.laux@bris.ac.uk (Holger Laux)
    wrote:

    >I am using GeoFile / NewFile quite a bit, but it could do with some
    >improvements:

    I have Geofile in daily, more or less productive use. Several
    databases, some quite complicated, some tiny.

    >- list layouts directly in the layout menu in data entry mode

    Saves some mousing, nice, not fatal.

    >- allow cross-record calculations (e.g. compute the overall sum of a
    >number field across the whole database)

    This is serious. The most limiting thing in Geofile.

    >- mark records by using an empty record where you can fill in several
    >search terms (rather than using the complicated formula method)

    Have had difficulties sometimes with formulas.

    >- there is a bug: "Delete all marked" does not do what it says

    There seems to be more bugs.

    >- a field for inserting running numbers automatically (record counter)

    Couple of times I have required this.

    My wife works with geofile, too. She saves magazine subscriptions for
    a big bublishing house. There is two stupid features in Geofile:
    1. In the real world they use Excell. The ready document must be
    exported as .CSV. We want .XLS export.
    2. The stupid geos/apple character set Geofile uses. Those three
    scandinavian letters after Z (ÅÄÖ) must be converted to standard
    ISO-Latin set. We have a nice little app (Convers, by Lauri Vaartaja)
    to do this, but extra work anyway.

    I am ready to pay reasonable price for more usable Geos based
    database program.

    Markku Lehikoinen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast