Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins - GEOS

This is a discussion on Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins - GEOS ; not unanimous at all, pat.. geos's 15 year old design is still superior to anything else out there.. Pat wrote: > > Besides, I think its unanimous around here that GEOS has had enough > opportunities to establish itself, now ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: Exporting file to 31/2 11 mins

  1. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    not unanimous at all, pat..

    geos's 15 year old design is still superior to anything else out there..







    Pat wrote:

    >
    > Besides, I think its unanimous around here that GEOS has had enough
    > opportunities to establish itself, now that its a 15 year old design.
    >
    >



  2. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    LOL! Oh God. You constantly prove just how stupid you are.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:40083321.2070306@prodigy.net...
    > not unanimous at all, pat..
    >
    > geos's 15 year old design is still superior to anything else out there..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Besides, I think its unanimous around here that GEOS has had enough
    > > opportunities to establish itself, now that its a 15 year old design.
    > >
    > >

    >




  3. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    OK Commander. Where's the money? Where's the resources? Where's the R&D?
    WHERE"S THE PRODUCT????

    "John Howard" wrote in message
    news:100e7rlh288jgac@corp.supernews.com...
    > Having just read a chapter of Winnie The Pooh to my grand daughter, I
    > must remark on the similarity between this poster and Eeyore!!
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    > > YAWN. <> There ain't nobody to do nothin' as there

    ain't no
    > > money and there ain't no way to generate any.
    > >
    > > "Wayne" wrote in message
    > > newspr1to45qvgcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > >
    > >>Well here I am not quiet ready to do this but timeis getting along.
    > >>
    > >>I talked to John a few weeks ago, and we said:
    > >>
    > >>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:28:05 -0800, John Howard

    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>>>Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup
    > >>>>can list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    > >>>>Ensemble Improvements thread"?
    > >>>
    > >>>Absolutely!
    > >>>
    > >>>John ;-)
    > >>
    > >>So here we go, it is a lot easier to improve minor things in Breadbox

    than
    > >>to add Java, window drivers, making Geowrite function under Windows XP
    > >>windows like a normal windows program (hint hint) etc. So does anybody
    > >>havce suggestions for minor improvements (and example web links) to the
    > >>GUI, the way Breadbox or it's applications and utilities work (see below
    > >>for examples), or new minor utilities, features and functions. This is
    > >>not a thread for debates on improvements, just list them and let

    Breadbox
    > >>do with them as they wish (especially with interface stuff, patents

    could
    > >>stop them from adopting good suggestions).
    > >>
    > >>- The one thing that came back to memory recently was spell checking,

    the
    > >>way MS Word spell checked (and accuracy) was quiet good 5 years ago,
    > >>Wordperfect was not up to scratch but a lot faster to use and still

    better
    > >>to spell check than Geowrite. Theasaurus functions were good as well on
    > >>Wordperfect for finding the right word, but not as important as the
    > >>improved spell checking.
    > >>
    > >>It has been weeks since I used Geowrite spell checking again, but from
    > >>memory the greatest problem isthat it is slow to use compared to the
    > >>others because of it's layout. The following functions would be good

    in
    > >>a interface layout that lets you use single keystrokes (and some tabing)
    > >>(without wiping out selction) or mouse clicks to select any of them.
    > >>Replace individual occurence, replace all occurences in document, ignore
    > >>individual, ignore all, add to document dictionary, add to global
    > >>dictionarie/s, having all replacement suggestions in an open list with

    two
    > >>selection feilds for the mostlikely suggested spelling and the other

    with
    > >>the origional spelling (incase the user wishes to rewrite the origional
    > >>word ie the replacement is not in the list). The only other thing is

    that
    > >>the spellchecking interface has a tendacy to get infront of the document
    > >>veiw and has to be moved, if it occupied it's own seperate dynamically
    > >>allocated space above or below the document it would work well, things
    > >>like find/replace would also be good in the tool bar.
    > >>
    > >>- Find and Replace, with todays documents you want to find anything,
    > >>anywhere, so wild cards for anything, for numeral characters, for

    letters,
    > >>and for special characters, of single, any number of characters, or set
    > >>number of characters length. When opening either preselecting in the
    > >>fields the last used find and replace items or automactically

    substituting
    > >>the on screen highlighted text. Special characters selections and case
    > >>selection. These are simular functions to what you will find in the

    Unix
    > >>command interface (and pearl I think).
    > >>
    > >>Basically the way the Windows GUI works in programs is pretty good, fast
    > >>and efficent (with a few exceptions).
    > >>
    > >>I appologise if I recovered some features allready in Geowrite, my

    memory
    > >>is not that accurate at the moment.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>Thanks
    > >>
    > >>Wayne.
    > >>
    > >>---Origional message
    > >>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:28:05 -0800, John Howard

    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>>Hi Wayne,
    > >>>
    > >>>Wayne wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>>I have noticed a few things with the ISA GUI interface of Breadbox and
    > >>>>it's predecessors, and I can't seem to find the disk check/repair I
    > >>>>remember from 2.1.
    > >>>
    > >>>Hmmm... I don't recall anyhting like that. I just checked my copy of
    > >>>Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 and see nothing like a disk check or repair
    > >>>program.
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>For instance when you do something like export a write file you have

    to
    > >>>>type in the new name (after you delete the "unamed" text in the
    > >>>>filename box). The text box doesn't uatomatically select the

    automatic
    > >>>>"unamed" text for deletion,
    > >>>
    > >>>Yes, that's a nice touch that happes in many other parts of Ensemble.
    > >>>It's now on my list.
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>allow you to select an existing file name from the file list, or
    > >>>>automatically give the existing file name stripped of extension, like
    > >>>>windows can.
    > >>>
    > >>>Well, having the existing file name stripped of extension hilighted in
    > >>>the new name field isn't a workable move since Geos long names don't
    > >>>have any extension and the underlying DOS name of the Writer file has a
    > >>>.00x extension tacked on the first eight characters of the Geos long
    > >>>name. And those first eight characters have a high probability of not
    > >>>being suitable for the exported fiile name. You'll also notice that

    the
    > >>>export file choices are all DOS file types (more or less). And since

    we
    > >>>don't know whether the OS on which you're running Ensemble can do long
    > >>>file or names the save as is restricted to the old 8.3 naming

    > >
    > > convention.
    > >
    > >>>>There is also no "send to A drive" sort of left button menue item.
    > >>>
    > >>>Right, there isn't. But there's a drive pull down list at the top

    right
    > >>> of the file selector. All right there in the Expot/Save As dialog
    > >>>box. No extra menus to click on.
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>These little type of things would make it easier to work with. I

    found
    > >>>>this to be the case in BEOS, even though it was great at certain

    things
    > >>>>it still needed minor improvements to help the processs move along
    > >>>>compared to Windows.
    > >>>
    > >>>I guess what some folks would call improvements are just extra stuff to
    > >>>other folks. And vice versa. That's why we have two diffierent Look
    > >>>and Feel choices with several customizations available for each.
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>Are you guys open to a public session where people in this newsgroup
    > >>>>can list most needed/desired minor improvements (no Java in a "Minor
    > >>>>Ensemble Improvements thread"?
    > >>>
    > >>>Absolutely!
    > >>>
    > >>>John ;-)
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>Thanks
    > >>>>
    > >>>>Wayne.
    > >>>>
    > >>>>On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:28:00 -0800, John Howard
    > >>>>wrote:
    > >>>>
    > >>>>
    > >>>>>Hi Wayne,
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>>Interesting. Same thing happens to me here. But it doesn't when
    > >>>>>exporting to Word. I can't explain it right now, but I'm putting it
    > >>>>>on the list of things to check out.
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>>In the meanwhile, I guess the old doctor's advice to his patient who
    > >>>>>said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." applies. The doc said "Then
    > >>>>>don't do that."
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>>John ;-)
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>>Wayne wrote:
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>>>Whats it with this exporting a RTF file, around 70K, to floppy

    taking
    > >>>>>>11 minutes but only a couple of seconds when exporting to hard disk?
    > >>>>>>When I copy the RTF file to the floppy it takes less than a minute
    > >>>>>>(probably less than 30 seconds). I've noticed that my disks get
    > >>>>>>corrupt sometimes when doing this export proceadure.
    > >>>>>>
    > >>>>>>Thanks
    > >>>>>>
    > >>>>>>Wayne.
    > >>>>>>
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>
    > >>>>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

    > >
    > >
    > >

    >




  4. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:40083321.2070306@prodigy.net...
    > not unanimous at all, pat..
    >
    > geos's 15 year old design is still superior to anything else out there..



    Only if you base your criteria on what was state of the art when DOS ruled
    the PC world and one megabyte systems sold for over $2000, 15 years ago.
    Unfortunately for GEOS, its now 15 years later. Ouch, did I say that? LOL!



  5. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    I'm working down the list of messages here so if anybody else has said
    this allready then I'm sorry.

    I don't have really any problems with your plans to use Russians to
    program Goes, though contentiouse. I was actually replying to somebody
    elses post.

    But seriousely before we get sucked down the worm hole of endless debate,
    why not start a new thread called "Advantages of Russians developing for
    Geos" or something like that.

    Wayne.


    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:39:05 GMT, Pat wrote:

    >
    > "Wayne" wrote in message
    > newspr1umquzrgcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...
    >> Hey Dude, this aren't no forum for disputes, if you want to keep
    >> dreaming
    >> a nightmare, dream another thread!

    >
    > I'm just stating what seems to me to be obvious. The Rooskies are better
    > hackers and developers. What the heck, why not give them a chance. The
    > current GEOS hacker community has fizzled out in making significant
    > advances
    > in the decade they have been screwing around with PC-GEOS..
    >
    >> On a more seriouse note for everybody here, if the case of money is so
    >> vital one possible alternative (though veery unpopular with some) would
    >> be
    >> to allow public domain geos programmers to do the coding imporvements
    >> free
    >> of charge.

    >
    > Who currently owns GEOS source code and intelectual property? In
    > addition,
    > since Geoworks did lots of side deals on licensing bits and pieces of
    > GEOS,
    > all those rabbit holes would have to be visited and approvals from the
    > court
    > received. ELSE, Law Suits!!!
    >
    > HINT: By end-gaming GEOS, no law suits, no problems.
    >
    > Besides, I think its unanimous around here that GEOS has had enough
    > opportunities to establish itself, now that its a 15 year old design.
    >
    >




    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  6. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Guys not here otherwise nobodies going to submit any usefull
    improvements. Look if you are so unseriouse about Geos as to deny it some
    minor improvements that would make the apps and interface as easy to use
    as competing products nowadays then why are you here, why not leave, is it
    sadder to use an old Operating System, or to need to harras those who do?
    You can make something or break something, as much as you complain about
    peoiple breaking Geos over it's life, that is what you try to do here.

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:32:16 GMT, Pat wrote:

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:40083321.2070306@prodigy.net...
    >> not unanimous at all, pat..
    >>
    >> geos's 15 year old design is still superior to anything else out there..

    >
    >
    > Only if you base your criteria on what was state of the art when DOS
    > ruled
    > the PC world and one megabyte systems sold for over $2000, 15 years ago.
    > Unfortunately for GEOS, its now 15 years later. Ouch, did I say that?
    > LOL!
    >
    >




    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  7. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    I am making one more observation, even though some of these improvements
    only affect a limited number of users, they also enhance the salable
    quality of Breadbox to new users. If all the needed improvements were
    done (over a couple of years and editions) it might reach a stage were a
    magazine reveiw might recognise it as a complete, comprehensive, stable
    fast and efficent Office package. So most improvementas to apps,
    utilities, and inteface will not be wasted. If the Breadbox can be made
    to optionally transparently run under Windows as a Windows program with
    Windows interface (needing translation layer code), then it can be sold as
    just another cheap, but good, office package to Winddows users, that can
    also run as an OS on resource limited machines (from flash cad or even
    Rom). So nothing is really wasted.

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  8. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    "Douglas A. Taylor" schrieb:

    > Some things I'd like to see are:
    >
    > Better sound/MIDI drivers -- I think the current ones support only 8-bit
    > sound or something.


    There are Dirk Lauseckers BestSound drivers.
    8KHz to 44.1KHz mono/stereo on any soundblaster card (auto conversion).
    Also there is a mixer program for SBPro and SB16 and a wave palyback and
    a recording program.

    The drivers and the player were part of NDO2000 build 4.20 (not 4.16)
    and fairly stable.

    > A MIDI file player/jukebox (David Givens wrote a very simple one,
    > but it crashes under NDO2000)


    Indeed, it needs some reworking

    > A command-line interface that one can actually write ANSI C programs
    > or shell scripts for, like Givens' GAP program. Simple stuff, like
    > sh, cp, awk, sed, vi, etc. The ability to launch GEOS apps from
    > the CLI would be a plus. Cron would be way cool. (Unfortunately,
    > GAP is too slow and does not accept pen input. :-()


    My console library could be the base of such an interface. It provides
    an ANSIC output console and supports almost all text I/O commands like
    printf, getch, putch, puts, gotoxy and so on.
    It just provides teh ANSIC commands for use in own programs, anyway. But
    writing a simple CLI that includes the above mentioned features
    shouldn't be a big problem, as the UI is the most difficult part.

    > Better access to BIOS APM power management functions, including the
    > capability to suspend/hibernate laptops from with GEOS. I currently
    > shell out to DOS and run APMANAGE.EXE


    Well, a simple link to this does the job, eh?

    > A backup program. Ability to schedule backups would be a definite plus.
    > So would the ability to automatically compress backups using zip.


    Didn't Raine rBettsteller write a backup program some time ago?

    > SOMEthing that would keep NDO from crashing so often under Linux/DOSEmu.


    A job for a DOSEmu programmer

    > An SSH client.


    well... okay, an SSH extension to geoComm

    > A .WMF impex filter. I have a CD of 10,000 pieces of clip art, all
    > Windows meta-file format. Can't access it under GEOS.


    Not again this question. WMF is no real format. It is a containter
    format just like AVI and without the proper codec, it just contains
    binary garbage.
    The most important codec for WMF is the Windows UI DLL. rewriting it for
    GEO Swoudl be a BIG job.

    It would be possible to write a quick hack that only recognizes a plain
    bitmap object and ignores other WMF files, but there are MANY types of
    bitmap objects possible in a WMF file (the windows UI DLL handles the
    conversion) and even if they are all supported (unlikely) people would
    still complain baout the one WMF file that they NEED to imprt from this
    or tha twindows application and which does not convert.

    Really not worth the effort.

    A working 24bit BMP import/export woudl be way more pressing (as you can
    convert the BMP to anything later in WIN or convert anything to BMP in
    Win before importing)

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  9. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    OK, how about making a few changes to the core OFFICE APPS that have been,
    more or less, sealed in a vault when Geoworks froze Ensemble in the mid
    1990s. You know what I mean. That code is sitting there and hasn't been
    updated much, if at all. Its almost as though all the post-Geoworks period
    developers were afraid to change the smile on the Mona Lisa. Ruin that
    smile, and the Mona Lisa will become a irrelevant.

    While I feel that the Internet is where its at, I also feel that the office
    apps have gotten short changed and are seriously out of date, unless you
    want to do lots of conversions. That's what GEOS has become. A sealed off
    from the world, old suite, of minimalist software that needs all kinds of
    translation and conversion to interface with all the modern Windows, MAC,
    and Linux OS and applications around it.







    "Wayne" wrote in message
    newspr1womdh6gcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > Guys not here otherwise nobodies going to submit any usefull
    > improvements. Look if you are so unseriouse about Geos as to deny it some
    > minor improvements that would make the apps and interface as easy to use
    > as competing products nowadays then why are you here, why not leave, is it
    > sadder to use an old Operating System, or to need to harras those who do?
    > You can make something or break something, as much as you complain about
    > peoiple breaking Geos over it's life, that is what you try to do here.
    >
    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:32:16 GMT, Pat wrote:
    >
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > > news:40083321.2070306@prodigy.net...
    > >> not unanimous at all, pat..
    > >>
    > >> geos's 15 year old design is still superior to anything else out

    there..
    > >
    > >
    > > Only if you base your criteria on what was state of the art when DOS
    > > ruled
    > > the PC world and one megabyte systems sold for over $2000, 15 years ago.
    > > Unfortunately for GEOS, its now 15 years later. Ouch, did I say that?
    > > LOL!
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/




  10. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    I totally agree with you, the apps do need to be updated, that is why this
    thread is here o get specific requests for updates. I imagine that you
    could fill out 4 pages of updates yourself. Potentially useless
    excercise? Not really, even if it isn't used as long as it is on record,
    somebody can look at it, and we have made our effort? We could even go
    sidways here a little bit, and examine what other companies do, such as
    Opera, if they owned Geoworks they would probably put a small banner add
    in the corner and collect profit from specific targeted advertising, even
    an opening sponsorship notice during load up would be good. Now back on
    track not ever mentioning that again (in this thread).


    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:01:57 GMT, Pat wrote:

    > OK, how about making a few changes to the core OFFICE APPS that have
    > been,
    > more or less, sealed in a vault when Geoworks froze Ensemble in the mid
    > 1990s. You know what I mean. That code is sitting there and hasn't been
    > updated much, if at all. Its almost as though all the post-Geoworks
    > period
    > developers were afraid to change the smile on the Mona Lisa. Ruin that
    > smile, and the Mona Lisa will become a irrelevant.
    >
    > While I feel that the Internet is where its at, I also feel that the
    > office
    > apps have gotten short changed and are seriously out of date, unless you
    > want to do lots of conversions. That's what GEOS has become. A sealed off
    > from the world, old suite, of minimalist software that needs all kinds of
    > translation and conversion to interface with all the modern Windows, MAC,
    > and Linux OS and applications around it.
    >

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  11. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    In article <40098E6D.87FCAC3E@grossibaer.de>,
    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:
    >"Douglas A. Taylor" schrieb:
    >
    >> Some things I'd like to see are:
    >>
    >> Better sound/MIDI drivers -- I think the current ones support only 8-bit
    >> sound or something.

    >
    >There are Dirk Lauseckers BestSound drivers.
    >8KHz to 44.1KHz mono/stereo on any soundblaster card (auto conversion).
    >Also there is a mixer program for SBPro and SB16 and a wave palyback and
    >a recording program.
    >
    >The drivers and the player were part of NDO2000 build 4.20 (not 4.16)
    >and fairly stable.


    Hmm. I'll have to check out my version of NDO2000 to see what version
    it is.

    >> A MIDI file player/jukebox (David Givens wrote a very simple one,
    >> but it crashes under NDO2000)

    >
    >Indeed, it needs some reworking


    Yup, it does. It needs the ability to use playlists, in addition to
    making it actually work under NDO2000. And even under the various
    incarnations of NDO98 it was never very stable. Luckily, Mr. Givens
    GPL-ed the source code. :-)

    >> A command-line interface that one can actually write ANSI C programs
    >> or shell scripts for, like Givens' GAP program. Simple stuff, like
    >> sh, cp, awk, sed, vi, etc. The ability to launch GEOS apps from
    >> the CLI would be a plus. Cron would be way cool. (Unfortunately,
    >> GAP is too slow and does not accept pen input. :-()

    >
    >My console library could be the base of such an interface. It provides
    >an ANSIC output console and supports almost all text I/O commands like
    >printf, getch, putch, puts, gotoxy and so on.
    >It just provides teh ANSIC commands for use in own programs, anyway. But
    >writing a simple CLI that includes the above mentioned features
    >shouldn't be a big problem, as the UI is the most difficult part.


    That sounds pretty neat. Any chance of getting it to act like a Unix
    terminal session, with a sh-like scripting language?

    >> Better access to BIOS APM power management functions, including the
    >> capability to suspend/hibernate laptops from with GEOS. I currently
    >> shell out to DOS and run APMANAGE.EXE

    >
    >Well, a simple link to this does the job, eh?


    It does, and that's what I do, but it takes time to exit GEOS and run a
    DOS program, even if it's done with a DOS launcher.

    >> A backup program. Ability to schedule backups would be a definite plus.
    >> So would the ability to automatically compress backups using zip.

    >
    >Didn't Raine rBettsteller write a backup program some time ago?


    I saw a beta version of a backup program some years ago. It may
    have been by Rainer. It seemed fairly nice, if a bit simple, but
    it doesn't run any more because it had one of those "expires after
    a certain period of time" thingies in it. I never saw a final,
    purchasable version.

    >> SOMEthing that would keep NDO from crashing so often under Linux/DOSEmu.

    >
    >A job for a DOSEmu programmer


    Heh. Maybe, except that I don't think you'll find many DOSEmu
    programmers who have even heard of NDO or GEOS. It's easy to point
    fingers and say, "Well, the problem's not with MY product!" but that
    doesn't really help.

    >> An SSH client.

    >
    >well... okay, an SSH extension to geoComm


    Sure, as long as it uses a TCP/IP connection.

    >> A .WMF impex filter. I have a CD of 10,000 pieces of clip art, all
    >> Windows meta-file format. Can't access it under GEOS.

    >
    >Not again this question. WMF is no real format. It is a containter
    >format just like AVI and without the proper codec, it just contains
    >binary garbage.


    Fine. In that case, I'd like to see some more clip art made
    available in a format usable under GEOS. I have the New Deal clip art
    package, and it's pretty nice, but compared to what I can find for
    Windows (nearly all in WMF format) it's not very much.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  12. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Dirk's Soundblaster drivers is available for download at Två Katter.

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-01-20 15:19, Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    >In article <40098E6D.87FCAC3E@grossibaer.de>,
    >Jens-Michael Gross wrote:
    >
    >
    >>"Douglas A. Taylor" schrieb:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>Some things I'd like to see are:
    >>>
    >>>Better sound/MIDI drivers -- I think the current ones support only 8-bit
    >>>sound or something.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>There are Dirk Lauseckers BestSound drivers.
    >>8KHz to 44.1KHz mono/stereo on any soundblaster card (auto conversion).
    >>Also there is a mixer program for SBPro and SB16 and a wave palyback and
    >>a recording program.
    >>
    >>The drivers and the player were part of NDO2000 build 4.20 (not 4.16)
    >>and fairly stable.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Hmm. I'll have to check out my version of NDO2000 to see what version
    >it is.
    >
    >
    >
    >>>A MIDI file player/jukebox (David Givens wrote a very simple one,
    >>>but it crashes under NDO2000)
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Indeed, it needs some reworking
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Yup, it does. It needs the ability to use playlists, in addition to
    >making it actually work under NDO2000. And even under the various
    >incarnations of NDO98 it was never very stable. Luckily, Mr. Givens
    >GPL-ed the source code. :-)
    >
    >
    >
    >>>A command-line interface that one can actually write ANSI C programs
    >>>or shell scripts for, like Givens' GAP program. Simple stuff, like
    >>>sh, cp, awk, sed, vi, etc. The ability to launch GEOS apps from
    >>>the CLI would be a plus. Cron would be way cool. (Unfortunately,
    >>>GAP is too slow and does not accept pen input. :-()
    >>>
    >>>

    >>My console library could be the base of such an interface. It provides
    >>an ANSIC output console and supports almost all text I/O commands like
    >>printf, getch, putch, puts, gotoxy and so on.
    >>It just provides teh ANSIC commands for use in own programs, anyway. But
    >>writing a simple CLI that includes the above mentioned features
    >>shouldn't be a big problem, as the UI is the most difficult part.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >That sounds pretty neat. Any chance of getting it to act like a Unix
    >terminal session, with a sh-like scripting language?
    >
    >
    >
    >>>Better access to BIOS APM power management functions, including the
    >>>capability to suspend/hibernate laptops from with GEOS. I currently
    >>>shell out to DOS and run APMANAGE.EXE
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Well, a simple link to this does the job, eh?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >It does, and that's what I do, but it takes time to exit GEOS and run a
    >DOS program, even if it's done with a DOS launcher.
    >
    >
    >
    >>>A backup program. Ability to schedule backups would be a definite plus.
    >>>So would the ability to automatically compress backups using zip.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Didn't Raine rBettsteller write a backup program some time ago?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I saw a beta version of a backup program some years ago. It may
    >have been by Rainer. It seemed fairly nice, if a bit simple, but
    >it doesn't run any more because it had one of those "expires after
    >a certain period of time" thingies in it. I never saw a final,
    >purchasable version.
    >
    >
    >
    >>>SOMEthing that would keep NDO from crashing so often under Linux/DOSEmu.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>A job for a DOSEmu programmer
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Heh. Maybe, except that I don't think you'll find many DOSEmu
    >programmers who have even heard of NDO or GEOS. It's easy to point
    >fingers and say, "Well, the problem's not with MY product!" but that
    >doesn't really help.
    >
    >
    >
    >>>An SSH client.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>well... okay, an SSH extension to geoComm
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Sure, as long as it uses a TCP/IP connection.
    >
    >
    >
    >>>A .WMF impex filter. I have a CD of 10,000 pieces of clip art, all
    >>>Windows meta-file format. Can't access it under GEOS.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Not again this question. WMF is no real format. It is a containter
    >>format just like AVI and without the proper codec, it just contains
    >>binary garbage.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Fine. In that case, I'd like to see some more clip art made
    >available in a format usable under GEOS. I have the New Deal clip art
    >package, and it's pretty nice, but compared to what I can find for
    >Windows (nearly all in WMF format) it's not very much.
    >
    >



  13. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Hi Doug,

    I'm using a registered Rainer's Backup app.
    I don't see it on his website's downloadpage though, but I suppose it's
    still available.


    Edward Nijs

    "Douglas A. Taylor" schreef in bericht
    news:bujddd$6tg$1@dougspc.uts.ohio-state.edu...
    > In article <40098E6D.87FCAC3E@grossibaer.de>,
    > Jens-Michael Gross wrote:
    > >"Douglas A. Taylor" schrieb:
    > >
    > >> Some things I'd like to see are:
    > >>
    > >> Better sound/MIDI drivers -- I think the current ones support only

    8-bit
    > >> sound or something.

    > >
    > >There are Dirk Lauseckers BestSound drivers.
    > >8KHz to 44.1KHz mono/stereo on any soundblaster card (auto conversion).
    > >Also there is a mixer program for SBPro and SB16 and a wave palyback and
    > >a recording program.
    > >
    > >The drivers and the player were part of NDO2000 build 4.20 (not 4.16)
    > >and fairly stable.

    >
    > Hmm. I'll have to check out my version of NDO2000 to see what version
    > it is.
    >
    > >> A MIDI file player/jukebox (David Givens wrote a very simple one,
    > >> but it crashes under NDO2000)

    > >
    > >Indeed, it needs some reworking

    >
    > Yup, it does. It needs the ability to use playlists, in addition to
    > making it actually work under NDO2000. And even under the various
    > incarnations of NDO98 it was never very stable. Luckily, Mr. Givens
    > GPL-ed the source code. :-)
    >
    > >> A command-line interface that one can actually write ANSI C programs
    > >> or shell scripts for, like Givens' GAP program. Simple stuff, like
    > >> sh, cp, awk, sed, vi, etc. The ability to launch GEOS apps from
    > >> the CLI would be a plus. Cron would be way cool. (Unfortunately,
    > >> GAP is too slow and does not accept pen input. :-()

    > >
    > >My console library could be the base of such an interface. It provides
    > >an ANSIC output console and supports almost all text I/O commands like
    > >printf, getch, putch, puts, gotoxy and so on.
    > >It just provides teh ANSIC commands for use in own programs, anyway. But
    > >writing a simple CLI that includes the above mentioned features
    > >shouldn't be a big problem, as the UI is the most difficult part.

    >
    > That sounds pretty neat. Any chance of getting it to act like a Unix
    > terminal session, with a sh-like scripting language?
    >
    > >> Better access to BIOS APM power management functions, including the
    > >> capability to suspend/hibernate laptops from with GEOS. I currently
    > >> shell out to DOS and run APMANAGE.EXE

    > >
    > >Well, a simple link to this does the job, eh?

    >
    > It does, and that's what I do, but it takes time to exit GEOS and run a
    > DOS program, even if it's done with a DOS launcher.
    >
    > >> A backup program. Ability to schedule backups would be a definite

    plus.
    > >> So would the ability to automatically compress backups using zip.

    > >
    > >Didn't Raine rBettsteller write a backup program some time ago?

    >
    > I saw a beta version of a backup program some years ago. It may
    > have been by Rainer. It seemed fairly nice, if a bit simple, but
    > it doesn't run any more because it had one of those "expires after
    > a certain period of time" thingies in it. I never saw a final,
    > purchasable version.
    >
    > >> SOMEthing that would keep NDO from crashing so often under

    Linux/DOSEmu.
    > >
    > >A job for a DOSEmu programmer

    >
    > Heh. Maybe, except that I don't think you'll find many DOSEmu
    > programmers who have even heard of NDO or GEOS. It's easy to point
    > fingers and say, "Well, the problem's not with MY product!" but that
    > doesn't really help.
    >
    > >> An SSH client.

    > >
    > >well... okay, an SSH extension to geoComm

    >
    > Sure, as long as it uses a TCP/IP connection.
    >
    > >> A .WMF impex filter. I have a CD of 10,000 pieces of clip art, all
    > >> Windows meta-file format. Can't access it under GEOS.

    > >
    > >Not again this question. WMF is no real format. It is a containter
    > >format just like AVI and without the proper codec, it just contains
    > >binary garbage.

    >
    > Fine. In that case, I'd like to see some more clip art made
    > available in a format usable under GEOS. I have the New Deal clip art
    > package, and it's pretty nice, but compared to what I can find for
    > Windows (nearly all in WMF format) it's not very much.
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles




  14. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    I use NewDeal all the time for a number of desktop publishing purposes. It is
    so incredibly intuitive and flexible, I choose it over Word every chance I get.

    One of the things I dearly long for is the ability to import, work on, and
    print, in good quality, reasonably large photograph files. I assume that would
    require DOS protected mode ability and maybe other supercharging. I have no
    idea how far off such a possibility is.

    I would also like to see Find and Replace be able to accept changes in font and
    point size and anything else there might be in a passage of text.

    I also agree that making NewDeal easy to install and run under Windows XP would
    be highly desireable.

    As it stands New File is very useful and powerful. Especially the ease with
    which new layouts can be made. I frequently replace the 8.3 field names with
    longer more appropriate names. But this gets in the way when you append two
    database by way of exporting in CSV to NewCalc and then, after appending the
    two files, reimporting into NewFile and repasting the layout onto the new
    database. I would like, at least, a work around to append.

    I'm sure other wishes will occur to me. But surely this is enough for now.

    Dick

    There

  15. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?


    Wayne wrote:

    > So here we go, it is a lot easier to improve minor things in Breadbox

    than
    > to add Java, window drivers, making Geowrite function under Windows XP
    > windows like a normal windows program (hint hint) etc. So does anybody
    > havce suggestions for minor improvements (and example web links) to the
    > GUI, the way Breadbox or it's applications and utilities work (see below
    > for examples), or new minor utilities, features and functions.


    I would find it damn cool if Breadbox could make links in the newsreader
    clickable, so that the browser starts and load the page, if the user click
    a link in a message.

    I would also like to see a tool where I could search the harddisk for files
    containing a specified text string. I do it from time to time, and I have
    to switch to dos and use Volkov Commander. If I could do it from within GEOS,
    I would appreaciate.


    --
    Thomas L.Christensen - Horsens, Denmark


  16. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:22:04 +0000 (UTC), Thomas L. Christensen
    wrote:


    >I would also like to see a tool where I could search the harddisk for files
    >containing a specified text string. I do it from time to time, and I have
    >to switch to dos and use Volkov Commander. If I could do it from within GEOS,
    >I would appreaciate.


    There is a GEOS program called FilePeep that does that.


    Holger

  17. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?


    Holger Laux wrote:

    > Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    > >I would also like to see a tool where I could search the harddisk for

    files
    > >containing a specified text string.

    >
    > There is a GEOS program called FilePeep that does that.


    Where can i find it?

    --
    Thomas L.Christensen - Horsens, Denmark


  18. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:51:13 +0000 (UTC), Thomas L. Christensen
    wrote:

    >
    >Holger Laux wrote:
    >
    >> Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    >> >I would also like to see a tool where I could search the harddisk for

    >files
    >> >containing a specified text string.

    >>
    >> There is a GEOS program called FilePeep that does that.

    >
    >Where can i find it?


    It was written by LesInk and declared shareware. I just checked and
    could not find it on TVAKatter. If I can find the original archive, I
    will upload it.


    Holger

  19. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    Such an obviouse function (as with many here) should be included with
    Ensemble and as a free update for existing users.

    My suggstion.

    Wayne.


    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:39:22 GMT, Holger Laux
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:51:13 +0000 (UTC), Thomas L. Christensen
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Holger Laux wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    >>> >I would also like to see a tool where I could search the harddisk for

    >> files
    >>> >containing a specified text string.
    >>>
    >>> There is a GEOS program called FilePeep that does that.

    >>
    >> Where can i find it?

    >
    > It was written by LesInk and declared shareware. I just checked and
    > could not find it on TVAKatter. If I can find the original archive, I
    > will upload it.
    >
    >
    > Holger




    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  20. Re: Public session: Suggestions for minor improvements to Breadbox?

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:51:09 +1000, Wayne
    wrote:

    >Such an obviouse function (as with many here) should be included with
    >Ensemble and as a free update for existing users.

    I am sure LesInk would not mind. Actually, I think the "Find" function
    in the E menu was called FileFind and was written by them as well.


    Holger


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast