PostScript printing - GEOS

This is a discussion on PostScript printing - GEOS ; I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to anyone who wants it. The EPS library is responsible for printing to PostScript printers. Its original incarnation has lots of bugs, such as - no 256 or ...

  1. PostScript printing

    I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to
    anyone who wants it.

    The EPS library is responsible for printing to PostScript printers.
    Its original incarnation has lots of bugs, such as

    - no 256 or 16m color or 256 grayscale bitmaps
    - no fill patterns
    - rough shading
    - defective character weight and spacing
    - many more smaller and bigger glitches.

    Alsmost all of them are fixed in this new version. Including support for
    up to true color bitmaps or 256 gray levels.

    What still remains is:
    - drawing styles (XOR, AND etc.), which is a bitmap output function and
    cannot be implemented in PostScript
    - wrong character position with altered character spacing (actually a
    GEOS bug, which places the spacing before the char when it should be
    behind). Maybe I can adjust this to be equally wrong in PostScript.
    - 'calculated' font styles (mostly the italic ones) look ugly. This one
    will be fixed in near future.
    - color differences in vector graphics. This one should be relatively
    easy to fix I hope. Actually the original library has changed the 16
    standard colors to be better printable - with not so good results.

    Why should one use PostScript printing?

    The printer drivers in GEOS are very good - as long as you do not want
    to print in color or use more than 300 DPI B/W.
    With a PostScript printer driver, you can print 'into a file' and then
    use a windows PostScript program to either print the document with the
    full quality of your windows printer driver (even to USB printers which
    are not accessible inside GEOS, or to GDI printers which are not GEOS
    compatible) or convert it into a PDF document or whatever with excellent
    quality.

    The tool I normally use for this is called GhostScript and is freeware.
    Since GhostScript renders vector data and fonts by itself, the output
    can be with the full resolution of your printer.

    Anyone who is interested in purchasing the new library, please send me a
    mail. This mail will be no order, just a note of interest. The more
    people show their interest, the higher the priority for finishing it.
    The price will be about $25.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  2. Re: PostScript printing

    I am interested very much.

    Dick

    In article <3FD5F76A.E4FA2D82@grossibaer.de>, Jens-Michael Gross
    writes:

    >I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to
    >anyone who wants it.
    >
    >The EPS library is responsible for printing to PostScript printers.
    >Its original incarnation has lots of bugs, such as
    >
    >- no 256 or 16m color or 256 grayscale bitmaps
    >- no fill patterns
    >- rough shading
    >- defective character weight and spacing
    >- many more smaller and bigger glitches.
    >
    >Alsmost all of them are fixed in this new version. Including support for
    >up to true color bitmaps or 256 gray levels.
    >
    >What still remains is:
    >- drawing styles (XOR, AND etc.), which is a bitmap output function and
    >cannot be implemented in PostScript
    >- wrong character position with altered character spacing (actually a
    >GEOS bug, which places the spacing before the char when it should be
    >behind). Maybe I can adjust this to be equally wrong in PostScript.
    >- 'calculated' font styles (mostly the italic ones) look ugly. This one
    >will be fixed in near future.
    >- color differences in vector graphics. This one should be relatively
    >easy to fix I hope. Actually the original library has changed the 16
    >standard colors to be better printable - with not so good results.
    >

    >Why should one use PostScript printing?
    >
    >The printer drivers in GEOS are very good - as long as you do not want
    >to print in color or use more than 300 DPI B/W.
    >With a PostScript printer driver, you can print 'into a file' and then
    >use a windows PostScript program to either print the document with the
    >full quality of your windows printer driver (even to USB printers which
    >are not accessible inside GEOS, or to GDI printers which are not GEOS
    >compatible) or convert it into a PDF document or whatever with excellent
    >quality.
    >
    >The tool I normally use for this is called GhostScript and is freeware.
    >Since GhostScript renders vector data and fonts by itself, the output
    >can be with the full resolution of your printer.
    >
    >Anyone who is interested in purchasing the new library, please send me a
    >mail. This mail will be no order, just a note of interest. The more
    >people show their interest, the higher the priority for finishing it.
    >The price will be about $25.
    >
    >Grossibaer

  3. Re: PostScript printing

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:25:14 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    >I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to
    >anyone who wants it.

    It is refreshing to see some new offers around here. Congratulations
    on you efforts! You have all my support.

    Holger

  4. Re: PostScript printing

    Jens-Michael,

    count me in,

    Edward Nijs ;-)

    "Jens-Michael Gross" escribió en el mensaje
    > I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to
    > anyone who wants it.
    >
    > The EPS library is responsible for printing to PostScript printers.
    > Its original incarnation has lots of bugs, such as
    >
    > - no 256 or 16m color or 256 grayscale bitmaps
    > - no fill patterns
    > - rough shading
    > - defective character weight and spacing
    > - many more smaller and bigger glitches.
    >
    > Alsmost all of them are fixed in this new version. Including support for
    > up to true color bitmaps or 256 gray levels.
    >
    > What still remains is:
    > - drawing styles (XOR, AND etc.), which is a bitmap output function and
    > cannot be implemented in PostScript
    > - wrong character position with altered character spacing (actually a
    > GEOS bug, which places the spacing before the char when it should be
    > behind). Maybe I can adjust this to be equally wrong in PostScript.
    > - 'calculated' font styles (mostly the italic ones) look ugly. This one
    > will be fixed in near future.
    > - color differences in vector graphics. This one should be relatively
    > easy to fix I hope. Actually the original library has changed the 16
    > standard colors to be better printable - with not so good results.
    >

    > Why should one use PostScript printing?
    >
    > The printer drivers in GEOS are very good - as long as you do not want
    > to print in color or use more than 300 DPI B/W.
    > With a PostScript printer driver, you can print 'into a file' and then
    > use a windows PostScript program to either print the document with the
    > full quality of your windows printer driver (even to USB printers which
    > are not accessible inside GEOS, or to GDI printers which are not GEOS
    > compatible) or convert it into a PDF document or whatever with excellent
    > quality.
    >
    > The tool I normally use for this is called GhostScript and is freeware.
    > Since GhostScript renders vector data and fonts by itself, the output
    > can be with the full resolution of your printer.
    >
    > Anyone who is interested in purchasing the new library, please send me a
    > mail. This mail will be no order, just a note of interest. The more
    > people show their interest, the higher the priority for finishing it.
    > The price will be about $25.
    >
    > Grossibaer
    >
    > --
    > If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    > second faster,
    > we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  5. Re: PostScript printing

    Great news!

    wrote:

    >I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to
    >anyone who wants it.

    Please sign me up as a launch customer. Where do I send my check?

    Ray Washington

  6. Re: PostScript printing

    Ray Washington schrieb:

    > Great news!
    >
    > On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:25:14 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to
    > >anyone who wants it.

    > Please sign me up as a launch customer. Where do I send my check?

    I will make it available through ShareIt (it allows credit card billing
    and handles US checks and money orders, as they are almost impossible to
    change into 'real' currency in Germany)
    A huge pile of work that unexpectedly hit me in the last week kept me
    from preparing a beta release. And will do so for the rest of the year.
    Well, it is paid work, so I won't complain

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  7. Re: PostScript printing

    Count me in too.

    Philippe.

    Edward wrote:

    > Jens-Michael,
    >
    > count me in,
    >
    > Edward Nijs ;-)
    >
    > "Jens-Michael Gross" escribió en el mensaje
    >
    >>I just got permission from Breadbox to sell my bugfixed EPS library to
    >>anyone who wants it.
    >>
    >>The EPS library is responsible for printing to PostScript printers.
    >>Its original incarnation has lots of bugs, such as
    >>
    >>- no 256 or 16m color or 256 grayscale bitmaps
    >>- no fill patterns
    >>- rough shading
    >>- defective character weight and spacing
    >>- many more smaller and bigger glitches.
    >>
    >>Alsmost all of them are fixed in this new version. Including support for
    >>up to true color bitmaps or 256 gray levels.
    >>
    >>What still remains is:
    >>- drawing styles (XOR, AND etc.), which is a bitmap output function and
    >>cannot be implemented in PostScript
    >>- wrong character position with altered character spacing (actually a
    >>GEOS bug, which places the spacing before the char when it should be
    >>behind). Maybe I can adjust this to be equally wrong in PostScript.
    >>- 'calculated' font styles (mostly the italic ones) look ugly. This one
    >>will be fixed in near future.
    >>- color differences in vector graphics. This one should be relatively
    >>easy to fix I hope. Actually the original library has changed the 16
    >>standard colors to be better printable - with not so good results.
    >>

    >>Why should one use PostScript printing?
    >>
    >>The printer drivers in GEOS are very good - as long as you do not want
    >>to print in color or use more than 300 DPI B/W.
    >>With a PostScript printer driver, you can print 'into a file' and then
    >>use a windows PostScript program to either print the document with the
    >>full quality of your windows printer driver (even to USB printers which
    >>are not accessible inside GEOS, or to GDI printers which are not GEOS
    >>compatible) or convert it into a PDF document or whatever with excellent
    >>quality.
    >>
    >>The tool I normally use for this is called GhostScript and is freeware.
    >>Since GhostScript renders vector data and fonts by itself, the output
    >>can be with the full resolution of your printer.
    >>
    >>Anyone who is interested in purchasing the new library, please send me a
    >>mail. This mail will be no order, just a note of interest. The more
    >>people show their interest, the higher the priority for finishing it.
    >>The price will be about $25.
    >>
    >>Grossibaer
    >>
    >>--
    >>If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    >>second faster,
    >>we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

+ Reply to Thread