Who wrote Fax9000? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Who wrote Fax9000? - GEOS ; A number of years ago, a program was written for Geoworks Ensemble 2.01, known as Fax9000. It was a native fax program for GEOS that was offered for sale through the then Australian Geoworks distributor (Ray Firth), but I was ...

  1. Who wrote Fax9000?

    A number of years ago, a program was written for Geoworks Ensemble
    2.01, known as Fax9000.

    It was a native fax program for GEOS that was offered for sale
    through the then Australian Geoworks distributor (Ray Firth), but I
    was curious if anyone knew who wrote it. It doesn't seem to have been
    offered for sale outside Australia, but there aren't any local GEOS
    programmers AFAIK.

    Does anyone have any information about it?

    Just curious.

    Tim

  2. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    Hi Tim,

    I have Fax9000 and also the Spanish Spellchecker, both from Ray.
    I did a quick reading in Hexviewer but didn't find any link or word pointing
    to the author.
    Sorry,

    Edward

    "Tim" escribió en el mensaje
    news:6be7f7dd.0312042039.34d1751b@posting.google.c om...
    > A number of years ago, a program was written for Geoworks Ensemble
    > 2.01, known as Fax9000.
    >
    > It was a native fax program for GEOS that was offered for sale
    > through the then Australian Geoworks distributor (Ray Firth), but I
    > was curious if anyone knew who wrote it. It doesn't seem to have been
    > offered for sale outside Australia, but there aren't any local GEOS
    > programmers AFAIK.
    >
    > Does anyone have any information about it?
    >
    > Just curious.
    >
    > Tim

  3. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    Fax9000 was written by Geoworks as a fax solution
    for the Sharp PT-9000 tablet computer. Sharp never
    shipped more than a few dozen of the devices, but
    they paid Geoworks a couple million dollars to develop
    all the software for it.

    The device had one built-in fax-modem, so the software
    did not need to work with a wide variety of fax hardware.
    Also, Fax9000 required a specific library file developed
    and owned by Palm that was on the PT-9000, but was
    never included in Geoworks Ensemble or any of the
    desktop versions of Geos.

    Geoworks did not consider Fax9000 to be a marketable
    solution for the desktop. They feared it would fail to work
    properly for the majority of Geos desktop customers and
    that it would just raise expectations at a time when no
    fax solution was in development for Geos 2.x.
    The investment required to develop all the necessary
    drivers to support fax on the desktop was deemed much
    greater than any potential return.

    Ray Firth discovered that Fax9000 worked with his own
    modem and wanted to market it in Australia. I talked to
    folks at Palm and got their permission to distribute the
    one necessary library file and then Geoworks allowed
    Ray to distribute Fax9000, with the understanding that
    Geoworks would provide no additional support or drivers.

    Steve

    -----
    "There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle. "
    -- Albert Einstein
    -----

  4. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    Hi Steve,

    Thanks for the info.

    I can see a Palm kind of driver in the DATA LIBS folder, also a Class2 fax
    driver and Group3 driver, etc...

    Edward

    "Steve Main" escribió en el mensaje
    > Fax9000 was written by Geoworks as a fax solution
    > for the Sharp PT-9000 tablet computer. Sharp never
    > shipped more than a few dozen of the devices, but
    > they paid Geoworks a couple million dollars to develop
    > all the software for it.
    >
    > The device had one built-in fax-modem, so the software
    > did not need to work with a wide variety of fax hardware.
    > Also, Fax9000 required a specific library file developed
    > and owned by Palm that was on the PT-9000, but was
    > never included in Geoworks Ensemble or any of the
    > desktop versions of Geos.
    >
    > Geoworks did not consider Fax9000 to be a marketable
    > solution for the desktop. They feared it would fail to work
    > properly for the majority of Geos desktop customers and
    > that it would just raise expectations at a time when no
    > fax solution was in development for Geos 2.x.
    > The investment required to develop all the necessary
    > drivers to support fax on the desktop was deemed much
    > greater than any potential return.
    >
    > Ray Firth discovered that Fax9000 worked with his own
    > modem and wanted to market it in Australia. I talked to
    > folks at Palm and got their permission to distribute the
    > one necessary library file and then Geoworks allowed
    > Ray to distribute Fax9000, with the understanding that
    > Geoworks would provide no additional support or drivers.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > -----
    > "There are only two ways to live your life.
    > One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    > The other is as though everything is a miracle. "
    > -- Albert Einstein
    > -----

  5. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    Steve Main wrote:
    > Fax9000 was written by Geoworks as a fax solution
    > for the Sharp PT-9000 tablet computer. Sharp never
    > shipped more than a few dozen of the devices, but
    > they paid Geoworks a couple million dollars to develop
    > all the software for it.

    ( Wow, a couple of million for development. To bad it did not bear fruit
    down the road..)

    Good to see you that you monitoring what is going on around here. Your
    insight and knowledge have helped all of us Geos users.

    Joe

  6. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    ndmain@aol.com (Steve Main) wrote

    > Fax9000 was written by Geoworks as a fax solution
    > [but]... did not consider Fax9000 to be a marketable
    > solution for the desktop.

    Ah! *That* explains both the source and why everyone was so quiet
    about such a significant improvement and also where it came from. I
    wondered ...

    > The investment required to develop all the necessary
    > drivers to support fax on the desktop was deemed much
    > greater than any potential return.

    Pity - I remember Brian talking (in one of the GeoBytes) about
    developing small native fax drivers for 2.0. I guess it's always
    easier to talk about what you *want* to do. Some of these things turn
    out to be extraordinarily complex once you sit down and look at them.
    (GeoComm terminal emulation was another, IIRC.)

    > Ray Firth discovered that Fax9000 worked with his own
    > modem and wanted to market it in Australia.

    It didn't work with a lot of modems. Ray used to sell it with a
    package of software plus modem hardware that he knew worked.
    Eventually, I think one of the Geo-Germans (Marcus, again?) worked out
    how to patch the program to make it work with a much wider range of
    modems, although it couldn't receive faxes.

    I guess it was another one of those things that, unfortunately, had to
    be reinvented by New Deal.

    As always, thanks for the prompt and informative reply.

    Have a good Christmas.

    Cheers,

    Tim

  7. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    On 2003-12-09 03:13, Tim wrote:

    >ndmain@aol.com (Steve Main) wrote
    >

    >>Fax9000 was written by Geoworks as a fax solution
    >>[but]... did not consider Fax9000 to be a marketable
    >>solution for the desktop.
    >>

    >Ah! *That* explains both the source and why everyone was so quiet
    >about such a significant improvement and also where it came from. I
    >wondered ...
    >

    >>The investment required to develop all the necessary
    >>drivers to support fax on the desktop was deemed much
    >>greater than any potential return.
    >>

    >Pity - I remember Brian talking (in one of the GeoBytes) about
    >developing small native fax drivers for 2.0. I guess it's always
    >easier to talk about what you *want* to do. Some of these things turn
    >out to be extraordinarily complex once you sit down and look at them.
    >(GeoComm terminal emulation was another, IIRC.)
    >

    >>Ray Firth discovered that Fax9000 worked with his own
    >>modem and wanted to market it in Australia.
    >>

    >It didn't work with a lot of modems. Ray used to sell it with a
    >package of software plus modem hardware that he knew worked.
    >Eventually, I think one of the Geo-Germans (Marcus, again?) worked out
    >how to patch the program to make it work with a much wider range of
    >modems, although it couldn't receive faxes.

    I remember using it with an internal class 1 modem, which worked well
    for a couple of years, but the modem burned due to a lightning storm.
    It was an american brand of modem, but I can't recall which. Rememer
    there was three standards class 1, class 2 and class 2.0. The last one
    was a proprietary "standard" of US Robotics. The last one was a real
    hell to deal with, as many people were mixing class 2 and class 2.0 up,
    but luckily most US Robotics modem also supported Fax Class 1.

    >I guess it was another one of those things that, unfortunately, had to
    >be reinvented by New Deal.

    Nope, it was Geoworks who did that 1995 in GEOS 3.0 for CCD:s. This
    would later be introduced in NDO 3.x for the desktop.

    >As always, thanks for the prompt and informative reply.
    >
    >Have a good Christmas.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Tim

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

    Hans

  8. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:12:41 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    wrote:

    >I remember using it with an internal class 1 modem, which worked well
    >for a couple of years, but the modem burned due to a lightning storm.
    >It was an american brand of modem, but I can't recall which. Rememer
    >there was three standards class 1, class 2 and class 2.0. The last one
    >was a proprietary "standard" of US Robotics. The last one was a real
    >hell to deal with, as many people were mixing class 2 and class 2.0 up,
    >but luckily most US Robotics modem also supported Fax Class 1.

    Hi Hans, Fax9000 only worked with Class 2 modems. While Class 2.0 was
    standardized in November 1992, I don't believe Fax9000 uses those
    standards, but rather the Class 2 draft (SP-2388, document TR-29/89-21R8,
    March 21, 1990, revised August 1990). The drivers included in GEOS 3.x,
    4.x are also working off the Class 2 draft, but adding the older more
    popular Class 1 standard allowed GEOS users a wider range of modems to
    choose from.

    Merry Christmas,
    Glen

  9. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    On 2003-12-13 05:50, Glen Doll wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:12:41 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I remember using it with an internal class 1 modem, which worked well
    >>for a couple of years, but the modem burned due to a lightning storm.
    >>It was an american brand of modem, but I can't recall which. Rememer
    >>there was three standards class 1, class 2 and class 2.0. The last one
    >>was a proprietary "standard" of US Robotics. The last one was a real
    >>hell to deal with, as many people were mixing class 2 and class 2.0 up,
    >>but luckily most US Robotics modem also supported Fax Class 1.
    >>

    >Hi Hans, Fax9000 only worked with Class 2 modems. While Class 2.0 was
    >standardized in November 1992, I don't believe Fax9000 uses those
    >standards, but rather the Class 2 draft (SP-2388, document TR-29/89-21R8,
    >March 21, 1990, revised August 1990). The drivers included in GEOS 3.x,
    >4.x are also working off the Class 2 draft, but adding the older more
    >popular Class 1 standard allowed GEOS users a wider range of modems to
    >choose from.
    >
    >Merry Christmas,
    >Glen

    Hehe....Well I mixed it all up ;-) The modem is scrapped and I gave the
    Fax9000 software away years ago, so I had no chance to check it up.
    Thanks for the clarification, Glen!

    BR,
    Hans

  10. Re: Who wrote Fax9000?

    What did they do with all the remaining devices, I might like to pick up
    oe?

    Thanks

    Wayne.