Scanning news - GEOS

This is a discussion on Scanning news - GEOS ; Hi! Some update for the now 3-year-old scanner program Dirk Lausecker and I wrote in 2000. The scanner driver has been updated to accept - SnapScan 600 (SCSI) - SnapScan 1236 (SCSI) under DOS (with DOS ASPI driver loaded for ...

  1. Scanning news

    Hi!

    Some update for the now 3-year-old scanner program Dirk Lausecker and I
    wrote in 2000.

    The scanner driver has been updated to accept

    - SnapScan 600 (SCSI)
    - SnapScan 1236 (SCSI)
    under DOS (with DOS ASPI driver loaded for the SCSI card) and also
    - SnapScan 1212P (parallel port)
    if properly installed under win95 and GEOS/NDO/BBE is running in a DOS
    box, and also the
    - SnapScan 1236 (USB)
    if win98 is running in the background.

    Win95 and 98 provide ASPI support for devices with a SCSI miniport
    driver.
    'FILES=120' needs to be added to the config.sys file, even if GEOS
    doesn't need it.

    For winXP, there is no ASPI layer installed by default and you have to
    install the Adaptec SCSI layer (or maybe copy the files from W9x). This
    hasn't been tested yet (I don't run XP).

    SnapScan scanners are sold at eBay for about $30.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  2. Re: Scanning news

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:23:24 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    >Some update for the now 3-year-old scanner program Dirk Lausecker and I
    >wrote in 2000.

    Great news. I bought a license from Dirk, although I must admit I am
    not using it very often as it inevitably crashes if I set it to higher
    resolutions. Perhaps this is due to the "files=120" setting. I think I
    have mine at 100. Will experiment again...

    How can I get hold of the update?

    Holger

  3. Re: Scanning news

    Holger Laux schrieb:

    > On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:23:24 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Some update for the now 3-year-old scanner program Dirk Lausecker and I
    > >wrote in 2000.

    > Great news. I bought a license from Dirk, although I must admit I am
    > not using it very often as it inevitably crashes if I set it to higher
    > resolutions. Perhaps this is due to the "files=120" setting. I think I
    > have mine at 100. Will experiment again...

    No. Crashes happen if the GEOS data files become stoo large.
    IIRC, VM files can hold only a certain number of blocks, each block only
    a certain number of bytes.
    an A4 document with 600 DPI is 7200 scanlines of 14.4K each.
    I think, the maximum data block size is 32K (more is possible but
    unstable if changes are made later)
    and the maximum number of blocks is 4096 or less (the VM file
    organisation is similar to the handle table).
    so 1/2 page is the maximum you can scan at 600 DPI.
    Also, the amount of free conventional memory limits as usual the
    stability of GEO Sapplication which use much memory.

    With 600KB free (DOS), it works really stable here.

    > How can I get hold of the update?

    Send me an email.

    Looks like I was a little too fast with my announcement.
    The 1212P_2 (there are apparently two versions) refuses to work if you
    didn't scan once with the windows program. After that it seems to work.
    But if you switch the scanner off, it won't anymore. The windows
    software sends a firmware update to the scanner. I'm currently
    implementing this.
    Also, maybe I can get it working under DOS by altering the IOMEGA ZIP
    drivers, but this is just an idea based on some information I found on
    WWW.

    In theory, the snapscan driver might work with a wider range of ACER
    scanners and AGFA scanners than I oriinally thought. At least the linux
    project uses the same backend code for about 30 scanners. So maybe my
    driver will too. But I can't test it and definitely won't buy these
    scanners to do so

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  4. Re: Scanning news

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:48:46 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    >No. Crashes happen if the GEOS data files become stoo large.
    >IIRC, VM files can hold only a certain number of blocks, each block only
    >a certain number of bytes.
    >an A4 document with 600 DPI is 7200 scanlines of 14.4K each.
    >I think, the maximum data block size is 32K (more is possible but
    >unstable if changes are made later)
    >and the maximum number of blocks is 4096 or less (the VM file
    >organisation is similar to the handle table).
    >so 1/2 page is the maximum you can scan at 600 DPI.
    >Also, the amount of free conventional memory limits as usual the
    >stability of GEO Sapplication which use much memory.
    >
    >With 600KB free (DOS), it works really stable here.

    Anything bigger than 200 dpi and 256 colours gives me a
    "HugeScanArrayError [OK]" or something to that effect.
    (Can't remember the exact name, but I am sure you know what I mean.)

    Holger

  5. Re: Scanning news

    Holger Laux schrieb:

    > Anything bigger than 200 dpi and 256 colours gives me a
    > "HugeScanArrayError [OK]" or something to that effect.
    > (Can't remember the exact name, but I am sure you know what I mean.)

    interesting... I didn't have any of these problems here with NDO32A
    I just tested with 600 DPI 24bit 7"x4" (29MB scan buffer) and 600 DPI
    8bit gray 8"x11" (30MB buffer).
    Larger buffers will give me a KR, it seems to be the limit.
    On the NC target geos (2.0) it is way more limited. With 30MB Buffer it
    tells me conventional memory is full or (if the system handles are on
    the default of 2500) it reports low on system handles. But it scans a
    full page in 8 bit gray with 300 DPI (8MB buffer) without problems.
    Despite the buggy bitmap library. I've never seen a HugeScanArrayError
    since years. SO how old is your application (version)?

    Anyway, as I started again working on the whole thing, I managed to
    increase the preview scan speed (actually the calculations for
    generatign the screen view) by a factor of 3. A preview of a full RGB
    page is done in below 15 seconds (on my PI-550).
    And if someone has one of the following scanner, please tell me. They
    might be more or less compatible with the library (USB versions only in
    a Win DOS box of course).

    Grossibaer

    :model "SnapScan 300" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "SnapScan 310" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "Arcus 1200" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "SnapScan 1236u" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan 1212u" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e10" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e20" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e25" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e26" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e40" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e42" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e50" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e52" :interface "USB"
    :model "SnapScan e60" :interface "USB"

    :mfg "Acer Peripherals"
    :mfg "Vuego"
    :mfg "Benq"
    :comment "Formerly Acer Peripherals"
    :model "300f" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "310s" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "610s" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "610plus":interface "SCSI"
    :model "620s" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "310u" :interface "USB"
    :model "320u" :interface "USB"
    :model "340u" :interface "USB"
    :model "620u" :interface "USB"
    :model "640u" :interface "USB"
    :model "640bu" :interface "USB"
    :model "1240" :interface "USB"
    :model "3300" :interface "USB"
    :model "4300" :interface "USB"
    :model "5000" :interface "USB"
    :model "5300" :interface "USB"

    :mfg "Guillemot / Hercules"
    :model "Maxi Scan A4 Deluxe (SCSI)" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "Scan@home Touch 1248 (USB)" :interface "SCSI"
    :model "Maxi Scan A4 USB 640U" :interface "USB"

    :mfg "Mitsubishi"
    :model "Diamondview 648UT" :interface "USB"
    :model "Diamondview 650U" :interface "USB"

    :mfg "Epson"
    :model "Perfection 660" :interface "USB"
    :model "Perfection 1670" :interface "USB"

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  6. Re: Scanning news

    I just finished the 1.1 Version of the scanner application.

    The mentioned 'huge array error' problems are gone, under NDO32a the
    maximum image size is about 32MB.

    You can purchase the full version (German and English) at
    http://www.shareit.com (keywords SCANNER or GEOS).
    There's also a download link for a time-limited test version.

    Those who already bought the 1.0 version will get a free update (please
    drop me a note).

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

+ Reply to Thread