Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer - GEOS

This is a discussion on Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer - GEOS ; Hello, I've a big problem, my 9110 is dead but I have a recent backup of all the data. My problem is how to convert the text files created with the 9110 Note appl. to a standard TXT format, readable ...

  1. Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer

    Hello,

    I've a big problem, my 9110 is dead but I have a recent backup of all the
    data.

    My problem is how to convert the text files created with the 9110 Note appl.
    to a standard TXT format, readable without spending hours to convert special
    characters?

    Notepad, Word with text extraction? No when I open a file in notepad or word
    the text seem to be scrambled:
    the 10 files are 60kb and I have the first paragraphs at the top of the
    page, later in the file, I have another paragraph coming from somewhere else
    in the file. My first reaction was to think that the file is corrupted, then
    I've tried to open the it with the 9110 emulator coming with the SDK. The
    file is valid, the text is in the right order...
    I'm not a developper, but I've seen that there is a clipboard exchange
    between NT and the emulator, but when I paste the text in a windows app, I
    only have a link to the file...
    * I also tried to use a virtual serial port to connect the emulator an the
    Nokia Comm. Suite, my virtual port emulator is a demo and do not support
    19200bps connection. It's possible to change the baud rate in the net.ini
    for the emulator but not in N Suite. Idem for NServer. I think programmer
    call this "hard coding"... I call this "lame coding"!

    * Tried to send it by mail, in normal condition, the 9110 convert the file
    in a txt format for compatibility... not working at all...

    * Tried to use the AH Creations File explorer to convert the file, but the
    emulator has a bad file system handling, diplaying file size of many
    megabites for a single 60kb file... heu??? The converter refuses to work.

    * Tried to print the document... With wich printer? My printer is
    parallel...

    It drives me CRAZY!!!

    Any help?
    thanks

    MaXX

    PS: sorry for posting here if this's out of scope... and for my english too

  2. Re: Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer

    I have not seen the Nokia emulator, so this is just hipshots........

    In the very same app in the Nokia emulator with which you open your
    file(s), isn't there an option to save the file (save as) as text, ascii
    text file? Can you export the file(s) to text-file(s)? Can you use the
    clipboard in the emulator? Open your file(s), copy the text into the
    clipboard and paste it into the Text File Editor, and then save it as a
    textfile?

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2003-11-11 21:04, MaXX wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've a big problem, my 9110 is dead but I have a recent backup of all the
    >data.
    >
    >My problem is how to convert the text files created with the 9110 Note appl.
    >to a standard TXT format, readable without spending hours to convert special
    >characters?
    >
    >Notepad, Word with text extraction? No when I open a file in notepad or word
    >the text seem to be scrambled:
    >the 10 files are 60kb and I have the first paragraphs at the top of the
    >page, later in the file, I have another paragraph coming from somewhere else
    >in the file. My first reaction was to think that the file is corrupted, then
    >I've tried to open the it with the 9110 emulator coming with the SDK. The
    >file is valid, the text is in the right order...
    >I'm not a developper, but I've seen that there is a clipboard exchange
    >between NT and the emulator, but when I paste the text in a windows app, I
    >only have a link to the file...
    >* I also tried to use a virtual serial port to connect the emulator an the
    >Nokia Comm. Suite, my virtual port emulator is a demo and do not support
    >19200bps connection. It's possible to change the baud rate in the net.ini
    >for the emulator but not in N Suite. Idem for NServer. I think programmer
    >call this "hard coding"... I call this "lame coding"!
    >
    >* Tried to send it by mail, in normal condition, the 9110 convert the file
    >in a txt format for compatibility... not working at all...
    >
    >* Tried to use the AH Creations File explorer to convert the file, but the
    >emulator has a bad file system handling, diplaying file size of many
    >megabites for a single 60kb file... heu??? The converter refuses to work.
    >
    >* Tried to print the document... With wich printer? My printer is
    >parallel...
    >
    >It drives me CRAZY!!!
    >
    >Any help?
    >thanks
    >
    >MaXX
    >
    >PS: sorry for posting here if this's out of scope... and for my english too

  3. Re: Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:04:48 +0100, "MaXX" wrote:

    >I've a big problem, my 9110 is dead but I have a recent backup of all the
    >data.
    >
    >My problem is how to convert the text files created with the 9110 Note appl.
    >to a standard TXT format, readable without spending hours to convert special
    >characters?

    >It drives me CRAZY!!!

    I don't use the emulator much but rely on my two Communicators (one in
    full working order, the other one with the phone side broken).

    Unless your files are confidential, I could help you convert them on
    my machine. Just send them to my mail address.

    Holger

  4. Re: Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer

    Hi!

    a) Isn't there a "Text only"-printer-driver in the Emulator, too? If
    so, you should be able to use this "printer" as "connected to FILE:"
    and then print into a plain text-file that should be easy to import in
    any Windows-text-editor.
    b) AFAIK you can only paste text from windows' clipboard into the
    emulator. The other direction doesn't work.
    c) Since you do have the SDK: The SDK contains a minimal version of
    the desktop-Geos3.0, too. It should include a "Note"-application that
    can read the Nokia-notes. And either this "Note"-application already
    has got a "save as/export to ascii-text/rtf" or you can use the Geos'
    clipboard to paste your text into GeoWrite or ZEditHTM (s. below) to
    save the text as ascii/rtf/html.
    d) If c) doesn't work, you could try if ZEditHTM runs in the
    N9110-emulator to use the copy/paste there.
    e) On the SDK-cd there should be a programm called salvage.exe. It
    should be able to convert your note-file into a ascii-text-file. In
    most cases the resulting text should even be in the correct order ;-)
    Unfortunately all non-English letters (...) will be exported
    incorrectly :-(

    ZEditHTM can be downloaded from http://www.tvakatter.org/ and
    http://www.polzfuss.de/Geos/

    BR
    Jrg

  5. Re: Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer

    Thank you! This solved a part of the problem...

    Some files were damaged during the backup and those files were un
    recoverable... But for the rest this worked using a third party software...

    Thanks for the support

    MaXX

    "Hans Lindgren" a crit dans le message news:
    mCdsb.37459$dP1.132658@newsc.telia.net...
    > I have not seen the Nokia emulator, so this is just hipshots........
    >
    > In the very same app in the Nokia emulator with which you open your
    > file(s), isn't there an option to save the file (save as) as text, ascii
    > text file? Can you export the file(s) to text-file(s)? Can you use the
    > clipboard in the emulator? Open your file(s), copy the text into the
    > clipboard and paste it into the Text File Editor, and then save it as a
    > textfile?
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans

  6. Re: Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer

    Thank you very much, but the problem was partially solved...
    I appreciate the suggestion...

    MaXX

    > I don't use the emulator much but rely on my two Communicators (one in
    > full working order, the other one with the phone side broken).
    >
    > Unless your files are confidential, I could help you convert them on
    > my machine. Just send them to my mail address.
    >

    > Holger

  7. Re: Restoring file from a nokia 9110 (Geos platform) on a NT computer

    "J?rg Polzfu?" a crit dans le message news:
    f02d9333.0311130657.5836cd72@posting.google.com...
    > Hi!
    >
    > a) Isn't there a "Text only"-printer-driver in the Emulator, too? If
    > so, you should be able to use this "printer" as "connected to FILE:"
    > and then print into a plain text-file that should be easy to import in
    > any Windows-text-editor.

    There is a text only printer driver but it's binded on a COM port...

    > b) AFAIK you can only paste text from windows' clipboard into the
    > emulator. The other direction doesn't work.

    The only direction that's fully working is MS ->Geos for Text only contents
    (only from Notepad)

    > c) Since you do have the SDK: The SDK contains a minimal version of
    > the desktop-Geos3.0, too. It should include a "Note"-application that
    > can read the Nokia-notes. And either this "Note"-application already
    > has got a "save as/export to ascii-text/rtf" or you can use the Geos'
    > clipboard to paste your text into GeoWrite or ZEditHTM (s. below) to
    > save the text as ascii/rtf/html.

    The Geos 3.0 refuses to see the file in the "open" window... some king of
    extention (file descriptor) problem?

    > d) If c) doesn't work, you could try if ZEditHTM runs in the
    > N9110-emulator to use the copy/paste there.

    Interesting... I will try... just for the fun since I have the important
    part of my files...

    > e) On the SDK-cd there should be a programm called salvage.exe. It
    > should be able to convert your note-file into a ascii-text-file. In
    > most cases the resulting text should even be in the correct order ;-)
    > Unfortunately all non-English letters (...) will be exported
    > incorrectly :-(

    I tryed Salvage, but the only thing it produces is garbage since the text is
    french, and it kills the ASCII code of the character, preventing the use of
    search&replace to recover the special characters and has bad recognition of
    the EOF (some files were trunkated before the real end in the note app. I
    don't talk about the "damaged ones")...

    > ZEditHTM can be downloaded from http://www.tvakatter.org/ and
    > http://www.polzfuss.de/Geos/
    >
    > BR
    > Jrg

    Thanks for the support and one more time sorry for my imprecise english....
    I do my best...

+ Reply to Thread