4.20 Newfile problem - GEOS

This is a discussion on 4.20 Newfile problem - GEOS ; I have just discovered a bug in the 4.20 version of NewFile, which to my amazements I have never noticed before. In data entry mode, Tab key does not work properly. Instead of moving the curser to the next field, ...

  1. 4.20 Newfile problem

    I have just discovered a bug in the 4.20 version of NewFile, which to my
    amazements I have never noticed before.

    In data entry mode, Tab key does not work properly. Instead of moving the
    curser to the next field, it simply moves it about an inch as though there were
    tabs settings within the field [which there may be]. But in 3.2a and 4.1.6 the
    Tab key does move the cursor to the next field.

    Is this simply one among several crippling bugs which got introduced into 4.20?
    Or is there any remedy or work-around for it.

    I have used NewFile in 4.20 a lot since it was first "released" about three
    years ago. And it always seemed more stable than the versions in other
    iterations of NDO. I can't believe I never noticed this bug before.

    Dick

  2. Re: 4.20 Newfile problem

    I have just discovered that 4.1.8 does not have this problem. Actually this is
    the form of NDO2000 I have used the last several years until very recently.

    And, as far as I can tell, it has all the positive features of 4.20. So I will
    simply fall back and use 4.1.8. One of the advantages of the various versions
    of NDO2000 over 3.2a is the ability to open various graphic files and RTF files
    directly by double clicking.

    Dick

    In article <20031106124103.22081.00001693@mb-m17.aol.com>, rcantrell@aol.com
    (RCantrell) writes:

    >I have just discovered a bug in the 4.20 version of NewFile, which to my
    >amazements I have never noticed before.
    >
    >In data entry mode, Tab key does not work properly. Instead of moving the
    >curser to the next field, it simply moves it about an inch as though there
    >were
    >tabs settings within the field [which there may be]. But in 3.2a and 4.1.6
    >the
    >Tab key does move the cursor to the next field.
    >
    >Is this simply one among several crippling bugs which got introduced into
    >4.20?
    >Or is there any remedy or work-around for it.

  3. Re: 4.20 Newfile problem

    rcantrell@aol.com (RCantrell) wrote in message:

    > I have just discovered that 4.1.8 does not have this problem. Actually this is
    > the form of NDO2000 I have used the last several years until very recently.

    Have you tried copying the NewFile from 4.1.8 into 4.2.0, and seeing
    what effect that had? (After carefully backing up your original of
    course!)

    > And, as far as I can tell, it has all the positive features of 4.20. So I will
    > simply fall back and use 4.1.8.

    I can't remember what the differences were either, although you can
    see the difference easily between 3.0/3.2/3.2A and NDO2000. I've moved
    over almost competely to Breadbox Ensemble, although I still visit
    NDO2000. They are both nice environments to work in.

    > One of the advantages of the various versions
    > of NDO2000 over 3.2a is the ability to open various
    > graphic files and RTF files directly by double clicking.

    That is, of course, something you can change by editing your GEOS.INI
    file.

    I prefer some files (BMP, PCX etc) were opened in Media Viewer, for
    example, rather than Artist so I made the appropriate changes. You
    don't even have to edit out the existing associations - GEOS just runs
    down the list until it finds the first association that fits.

    For this reason, you don't put *.* = Text Editor up the top of the
    list .... : )

    Cheers,

    Tim

  4. Re: 4.20 Newfile problem

    No.

    But I had 4.20 installed on two different PCs. I tried various NewFile
    databases on each. The bug was there on both.

    But I am happy using 4.1.8.

    I am curious what other feature differences there are between 4.1.8 and 4.2.0.

    Dick

    In article <6be7f7dd.0311101536.6c1f2730@posting.google.com>,
    harvey_tim@yahoo.com (Tim) writes:

    >rcantrell@aol.com (RCantrell) wrote in message:
    >
    >> I have just discovered that 4.1.8 does not have this problem. Actually this

    >is
    >> the form of NDO2000 I have used the last several years until very recently.

    >Have you tried copying the NewFile from 4.1.8 into 4.2.0, and seeing
    >what effect that had? (After carefully backing up your original of
    >course!)

+ Reply to Thread