Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox - GEOS

This is a discussion on Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox - GEOS ; Has anyone here tried running NDO2000 on DOSBox ? I just managed to get it working about ten minutes ago. DOSBox (dosbox.sourceforge.net) is an app that runs on Linux (and Windows, I think, but I didn't try it) that provides ...

  1. Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox

    Has anyone here tried running NDO2000 on DOSBox ? I just managed to
    get it working about ten minutes ago.

    DOSBox (dosbox.sourceforge.net) is an app that runs on Linux (and
    Windows, I think, but I didn't try it) that provides you with an x86
    virtual machine running a DOS shell. A bit like DOSEmu, except it
    (a) does a lot more hardware virtualization and (b) provides its own
    DOS shell rather than requiring you to provide your own. Currently at
    version 0.6.

    Random thoughts on things that I see as I'm running NDO2000 under
    DOSBox:

    Let's see, there's built-in MOUSE.COM emulation that NDO recognizes.
    It provides only 640x480x256 video. Not sure if there's printer
    support. It hangs on startup unless primaryFSD = ntfat.geo is
    set in geos.ini, but doesn't require any other funny settings as
    far as I can see. Does not require fs=ntfat.geo, as DOSEmu does.
    Soundblaster emulation (SB 1.5) seems to work OK.

    Hmm. NDO crashes when I try to run Skipper, but other stuff seems to
    work OK. Loads my 1.6meg "Amaryn the Novice" Writer file quickly and
    with no complaints. Overall a little slow, but overclocking the app
    seems to fix that. The "Computer" icon on the desktop show drives C -
    Z, even though I've only allocated C and D. Must be the freaky DOS
    shell they've got set up.

    OK, here's something really weird. I have a directory under DOCUMENT
    whose DOS name is SPIKOR2. The GEOS name is "Spikor -- The Crystal
    Sword". (Eh, it's a book I'm writing.) This directory does not show
    up on the Express Menu/Document panel. It *does* show up under the
    Documents folder on the desktop, but when I double-click on it I get
    FM-44 "Link has been moved or deleted". Huh? It's not a link, it's
    a directory. Doesn't happen with any of my other files/directories.
    Wonder if it's the long filename.

    Now I've renamed the @dirname file and restarted NDO. SPIKOR2 shows up
    on the Express Menu, and I can get to it from the desktop as well.
    Weird. That sure doesn't happen under DOS or DOSEmu. Wonder if
    it has something to do with NTFAT.GEO. BTW, this happens with
    DOSBox/NDO98, too.

    (Workaround: If I rename the @dirname.000 file, create a link on
    the desktop to SPIKOR2, call the link "Spikor -- The Crystal Sword",
    and rename the file back to @dirname.000, then the desktop link still
    works, even if I can't access the directory from the Document folder.
    Very strange.)

    Skipper aside, it seems to be fairly stable. More so than DOSEmu,
    which locks up frequently. DOSBox hasn't frozen on me yet, except
    occasionally when I try to exit to DOS. Also doesn't have DOSEmu's
    "magic disappearing files" problem, either. I just copied the entire
    \PALMCONN directory to \TEMP and then deleted it with no problem.
    DOSEmu wouldn't have stood for that. And it gives better memory
    support than VMWare (637k conventional + 15M extended + 15M expanded)
    plus built-in access to the native Linux file system.

    Hey, you know, this is a sweet little DOS emulation. Probably won't
    be fast enough to run on my Libretto (it's compiling there now),
    but for the Linux box on my desk at work, I think it'll do just fine.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  2. Re: Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox

    In Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > Has anyone here tried running NDO2000 on DOSBox ? I just managed to
    > get it working about ten minutes ago.

    I have been working with the BeOS binary of DOSBox. According to the
    Readme file a 1.6GHz PC can emulate a 25MHZ 386 PC, so I with a 300MHz
    machine must be running somewhere around a 5MHz 386 PC.

    I have not had any real luck getting NDO up and running. I have not
    tried to install NDO, but have been running it from the NDO directory
    that was installed on a small Windows partition on my machine. Perhaps
    installing NDO from inside DOSBox would give me better results.

    The screen size and depth can be set in the config file and can be set
    to full screen. There are a number of other options as well, but I have
    never been very good at sorting through configuration files and getting
    them setup right.

    DOSBox is also available as a binary for Mac OS X. I have downloaded it,
    but have as of this point not had any success in getting it to even run.

    What Linux distribution are you running?

    bill

  3. Re: Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox

    In article <20031104211928235-0600@netnews.mchsi.com>,
    William Ove wrote:
    >In Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    >> Has anyone here tried running NDO2000 on DOSBox ? I just managed to
    >> get it working about ten minutes ago.

    >I have been working with the BeOS binary of DOSBox. According to the
    >Readme file a 1.6GHz PC can emulate a 25MHZ 386 PC, so I with a 300MHz
    >machine must be running somewhere around a 5MHz 386 PC.

    I think my Libretto's a 75MHz Pentium, so I expect it's running DOSBox
    in the KHz range. :-(

    >I have not had any real luck getting NDO up and running. I have not
    >tried to install NDO, but have been running it from the NDO directory
    >that was installed on a small Windows partition on my machine. Perhaps
    >installing NDO from inside DOSBox would give me better results.

    I just used the version I had already set up for DOSEmu, which I
    believe was actually installed on another machine under DR-DOS or
    Win98 and copied over. The only trick I used was setting
    primaryFSD=ntfat.geo.

    Actually, I doubt the install would work under DOSBox. At least,
    it doesn't work under DOSEmu/FreeDOS, and DOSBox's shell looks very
    much like FreeDOS to me.

    (Hmm. On second thought, maybe it would. I just now installed Ensemble
    Lite under DOSBox. Had to copy ntfat.geo over from NDO2000 to make it
    work, but it looks fine now.)

    >The screen size and depth can be set in the config file and can be set
    >to full screen. There are a number of other options as well, but I have
    >never been very good at sorting through configuration files and getting
    >them setup right.

    I know how to set it up to be full-screen, but full-screen 640x480 is
    still 640x480. :-)

    How can you set the screen size? I haven't seen how to do that.
    The sample config file that you can generate doesn't have that in
    it, and the docs are rather skimpy. Also, when I run DOSBox on my
    Libretto, SDL complains that things will be slow because I'm running
    in 24bpp mode. Do you know how I can change that?

    >What Linux distribution are you running?

    I first got it to run under Redhat 9. My Libretto uses Slackware 7
    (very old!) but I managed to get it to run NDO this morning (v-e-r-y
    s-l-o-w-l-y at present, but I might be able to tweak it a bit) after I
    downloaded and installed the libpng package. I also got it to compile
    and run last night on my Redhat 7.2 box at home, but I didn't try
    NDO at the time. I doubt there will be any problems with it, though.

    Aaand, I was able to get DOSBox to compile on our IBM mainframe
    (!) running SuSE 9, but when I ran it it didn't look right. I got a
    black box the right size, but there were not words in it. I think
    it's an X-windows problem; I get the same result when I try to run
    DOSEmu remotely. I'm going to fiddle with it a bit, though, because
    I would like to be the first person in the world to run NDO on an
    IBM big iron! :-)
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  4. Re: Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    [big snip]

    > I'm going to fiddle with it a bit, though, because
    > I would like to be the first person in the world to run NDO on an
    > IBM big iron! :-)

    That would indeed be very cool. And a certain symetry for me. My
    father started working for IBM in the mid 40s as a customer service
    engineer (a couple of patents on the old card sorting machines) then was
    one of the original managers when IBM formed its Militaty Products
    Division in the early 50s. He retired from Big Blue in 1976 after 30
    plus years with the firm. My first programming experience was in
    Fortran II on an IBM 7094 at the University of Illinois. (Well I never
    even saw the 7094, I gave my deck of cards to a grad student behind a
    window and got my cards and a green bar paper printout of my program's
    results a day and a half later!).

  5. Re: Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox

    In Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > In article <20031104211928235-0600@netnews.mchsi.com>,
    > William Ove wrote:
    >>In Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    > I know how to set it up to be full-screen, but full-screen 640x480 is
    > still 640x480. :-)

    You are right. I tend to jump to the conclusion that full screen is the
    max of the monitor, and that is not always true. On my laptop though a
    reduced resolution usually means a smaller screen size as well.

    > How can you set the screen size? I haven't seen how to do that.
    > The sample config file that you can generate doesn't have that in
    > it, and the docs are rather skimpy. Also, when I run DOSBox on my
    > Libretto, SDL complains that things will be slow because I'm running
    > in 24bpp mode. Do you know how I can change that?

    You are well beyond me in all this. I am sticking the config file that
    came with the BeOS distro at the end here. Maybe it contains more info
    that the package you have. The OS X version of DOSBox does not come with
    a config file at all. I am so often get hung up on items because I
    simply do not even know what the terms mean.

    bill

    [Config file for BeOS 0.60 Disrto of DOSBox]
    [sdl]
    # fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
    # autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
    # sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
    # waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.

    fullscreen=false
    autolock=true
    sensitivity=100
    waitonerror=true

    [dosbox]
    # language -- Select another language file.
    # memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.

    language=
    memsize=16

    [render]
    # frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
    # snapdir -- Directory where screenshots get saved.
    # scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
    # Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x

    frameskip=0
    snapdir=snaps
    scaler=normal2x

    [cpu]
    # cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each
    millsecond.
    # Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!

    cycles=1800

    [mixer]
    # nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
    # rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will
    # probably lower their sound quality.
    # blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound
    stuttering
    # but sound will also be more lagged.
    # wavedir -- Directory where saved sound output goes when you use the
    # sound record key-combination, check README file.

    nosound=false
    rate=22050
    blocksize=2048
    wavedir=waves

    [midi]
    # mpu401 -- Enable MPU-401 Emulation.
    # device -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
    # This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
    # config -- Special configuration options for the device.

    mpu401=true
    device=default
    config=

    [sblaster]
    # sblaster -- Enable the soundblaster emulation.
    # base,irq,dma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA address of the soundblaster.
    # sbrate -- Sample rate of soundblaster emulation.
    # adlib -- Enable the adlib emulation.
    # adlibrate -- Sample rate of adlib emulation.
    # cms -- Enable the Creative Music System/Gameblaster emulation.
    # Enabling both the adlib and cms might give conflicts!
    # cmsrate -- Sample rate of cms emulation.

    sblaster=true
    base=220
    irq=7
    dma=1
    sbrate=22050
    adlib=true
    adlibrate=22050
    cms=false
    cmsrate=22050

    [speaker]
    # pcspeaker -- Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
    # pcrate -- Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
    # tandy -- Enable Tandy 3-Voice emulation.
    # tandyrate -- Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
    # disney -- Enable Disney Sound Source emulation.

    pcspeaker=true
    pcrate=22050
    tandy=true
    tandyrate=22050
    disney=true

    [bios]
    # Nothing to setup yet!

    [dos]
    # xms -- Enable XMS support.
    # ems -- Enable EMS support.
    # dpmi -- Enable builtin DPMI host support.
    # This might help in getting some games to work, but might crash
    others.
    # So be sure to try both settings.

    xms=true
    ems=true
    dpmi=true

    [modem]
    # modem -- Enable virtual modem emulation.
    # comport -- COM Port modem is connected to.
    # listenport -- TCP Port the momdem listens on for incoming connections.

    modem=true
    comport=2
    listenport=23

    [autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.

  6. Re: Linux, NDO2000, and DOSBox

    In article <20031106223107355-0600@netnews.mchsi.com>,
    William Ove wrote:
    >In Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    >> In article <20031104211928235-0600@netnews.mchsi.com>,
    >> William Ove wrote:
    >>>In Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    >> I know how to set it up to be full-screen, but full-screen 640x480 is
    >> still 640x480. :-)

    >You are right. I tend to jump to the conclusion that full screen is the
    >max of the monitor, and that is not always true. On my laptop though a
    >reduced resolution usually means a smaller screen size as well.

    I talked with some of the people on the DOSBox forum, and the most
    current stable release supports on 640x480. The latest CVS source,
    however, supports 800x600x256.

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

+ Reply to Thread