Psion for Geoworks/advice - Long Battery life PC's - GEOS

This is a discussion on Psion for Geoworks/advice - Long Battery life PC's - GEOS ; I am interested in buying a Psion 600 notebook PC and putting Geoworks on it, has anybody tried this, or got one they want to sell cheap? It uses 256K ROM DOS 3.2 and should get 30-60+ hours battery life ...

  1. Psion for Geoworks/advice - Long Battery life PC's

    I am interested in buying a Psion 600 notebook PC and putting Geoworks on
    it, has anybody tried this, or got one they want to sell cheap? It uses
    256K ROM DOS 3.2 and should get 30-60+ hours battery life on today's
    batteries.

    http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/models/psion600MC.htm
    http://home.c2i.net/trygveh/mc400/index.html

    I am also interested in the HP200LX, did anybody get Geoworks working on
    it?

    A freind just sold me a Psion 5 cheap, it does 35Hrs and I discovered that
    there is a few DOS emulators for it. PocketDos claimes to run Geoworks
    and work with virtually every Win-CE Device too.

    http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/main/emulators.htm

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  2. Re: Psion for Geoworks/advice - Long Battery life PC's

    Hi,

    Wayne wrote:

    > I am interested in buying a Psion 600 notebook PC and putting Geoworks
    > on it, has anybody tried this, or got one they want to sell cheap? It
    > uses 256K ROM DOS 3.2 and should get 30-60+ hours battery life on
    > today's batteries.

    Interesting (carefully check however the 30-60 hours battery life). I'm
    not sure you will be able to find any storage device for this beast, but
    I would try anyway, if it's less than 50$ :-)

    Errr, and 4 pounds for a diskless 8 MHz monochrome machine, it is too
    much, IMO.

    > http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/models/psion600MC.htm
    > http://home.c2i.net/trygveh/mc400/index.html

    thanks for the links. I completely forgot this machine.

    > I am also interested in the HP200LX, did anybody get Geoworks working on
    > it?

    It is rumored to basically work but with some incompatibilites with the
    keyboard, IIRC. I would prefer it to the MC600, if I could tweak the
    GEOS keyboard driver.

    > A freind just sold me a Psion 5 cheap, it does 35Hrs and I discovered
    > that there is a few DOS emulators for it. PocketDos claimes to run
    > Geoworks and work with virtually every Win-CE Device too.

    Psion 5 is a superb machine. I tried NDO on a Psion 5mx (which is even
    better) and somehow it works (but hangs also sometimes) under XTM. I did
    not investigate further because NDO is ssssslllllooooowwwww on the 5mx.
    I would not even try on a 5. And I had much fun using the Psion software.

    By the way, PocketDOS is not yet available for the Psion and will
    apprently never be.

    NDO works nicely on a iPaq 3870 + PocketDOS demo. But I need a keyboard.
    And the rest of the WinCE software is ugly. so...
    I then tried it on a HP 360LX (it has a keyboard) but it is a slow machine.

    > http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/main/emulators.htm

    IMHO, if you want a fast yet light machine for NDO/GEOS, try a small PC
    (x86 based computer).

    Philippe.

  3. Re: Psion for Geoworks/advice - Long Battery life PC's

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:02:33 +1000, Wayne
    wrote:

    >I am interested in buying a Psion 600 notebook PC and putting Geoworks on
    >it, has anybody tried this, or got one they want to sell cheap? It uses
    >256K ROM DOS 3.2 and should get 30-60+ hours battery life on today's
    >batteries.

    I used to have a noname (Accura) 10MHz laptop of otherwise similar
    specs. Also the Toshiba 1200 was in the same category. I still have
    one. My experiences:

    Versions 1.0 and 1.2 were great on these machines.

    Version 2.01 was OK, with the exception of GeoFile and some games that
    would run off the small screen.

    NDO3.2 was OK, but the Internet was impossible to use.

    From NDO2000 onwards, CGA was no longer supported. I tried to use the
    old drivers, but there must also be some other code that would not run
    on an XT. In any case, the whole thing would be too slow.

    ****

    Some other ideas I had over the past few years:

    Can you get hold of an IBM PC-110? It was never sold over here, but
    seems to be a cute little device, based on a 486.

    Also, I recently bought a couple of CF-Card Drives from Germany. This
    is an interface that connects to the IDE port. An inserted CF card is
    recognised just like any other hd but does not have any moving parts,
    i.e. being shock-proof and probably much more energy efficient.

    CF cards are becoming cheaper all the time. A 128MB or 256MB for about
    $20 should be fine for GEOS. Under DOS you could theoretically use up
    to 2GB , still costing around $600 at the moment.

    I will try to get hold of an old laptop with a good battery to see if
    its hd can be replaced with this and how it affects the power
    consumption.

    Holger

  4. Re: Psion for Geoworks/advice - Long Battery life PC's

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:02:53 GMT, Holger Laux
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:02:33 +1000, Wayne
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested in buying a Psion 600 notebook PC and putting Geoworks
    >> on
    >> it, has anybody tried this, or got one they want to sell cheap? It uses
    >> 256K ROM DOS 3.2 and should get 30-60+ hours battery life on today's
    >> batteries.

    > I used to have a noname (Accura) 10MHz laptop of otherwise similar
    > specs. Also the Toshiba 1200 was in the same category. I still have
    > one. My experiences:

    If anybody else knows of laptops that will do 20+ hours on Geos please
    tell us.

    I looked through a Linux portable Specification list, and found the
    battery life details of some old 386/486 machines I remembered. The
    Compaq Areo (Aero), the TI Travel mate (forget which model) and Olivetie
    Philos 21 (22). The Linux battery life was poor, I think about 3 times
    less than advertised (optimun battery life) so this is well into the teens
    and the last two maybe in the twenties.

    > From NDO2000 onwards, CGA was no longer supported. I tried to use the

    Thats OK I have Ensmble 2.01 at the monment.

    > Can you get hold of an IBM PC-110? It was never sold over here, but
    > seems to be a cute little device, based on a 486.

    Yes I remember that one (3hrs battery life and no disk though) it was sold
    by some grey importers in Aus, nice. There were a number of other brands
    for sale, at the moment ebay has a number of Fujitsu Stylisic (??) and
    Point 500 Tablet computers (These were the best of their day). On their
    retail site (look at their email address link) they have a special on
    cheap 100Mhz Fujitsu Monochrome units without PCMCIA HD, so that might be
    good for you.

    > CF cards are becoming cheaper all the time. A 128MB or 256MB for about
    > $20 should be fine for GEOS. Under DOS you could theoretically use up
    > to 2GB , still costing around $600 at the moment.
    >
    > I will try to get hold of an old laptop with a good battery to see if
    > its hd can be replaced with this and how it affects the power
    > consumption.

    You will need a special adapter matched for the version of IDE on your
    laptop as CF is based on an adaption of an old IDE interface standard (I
    forget where to buy them but they are available, and worth it).

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  5. Re: Psion for Geoworks/advice - Long Battery life PC's

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:39:30 +0100, Philippe Dallemagne
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Wayne wrote:

    > Interesting (carefully check however the 30-60 hours battery life). I'm
    > not sure you will be able to find any storage device for this beast, but
    > I would try anyway, if it's less than 50$ :-)

    Agreed. The 30 Hours battery life was with batteries back in the late
    80's we should be able to get at least double that now.

    > Errr, and 4 pounds for a diskless 8 MHz monochrome machine, it is too
    > much, IMO.

    Doesn't matter, looong battery life, Ensemble is fast enough (the Solid
    State Disks are still available).

    >> http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/models/psion600MC.htm
    >> http://home.c2i.net/trygveh/mc400/index.html

    > thanks for the links. I completely forgot this machine.

    Thats fine, I just want to let people know about the device and see if it
    would be a premium Geoworks machine, though it may need to be stripped
    down to just Geowrite,as the solid disks can be expensive.

    I lay down the challenge for Breadbox, I need, and many others do, a low
    powered long life, high contrast B&W tablet computer with keyboard,
    version from A7 - A3 format (multiple page research/writing tool), fully
    compatable with the dektop data formats for prices upto $150US. Plenty of
    Asian manufacturers are in for this (I can name a few), and China has a
    program to supply a new (cheap) computing platform for their entire
    poulation (a Chinese person I used to do business with is trying to get
    his platform adopted), other Asian countries have announced they will try
    to develope their own altrnative to Windows PC, plus the other third world
    computer initiatives, at least one msdos based. With all the new low
    priced technologies out there, like digital Paper/inks, Stampable
    circuits, heat sun rechargable batteries (not needed) etc (a number of
    others) this price factor can be met. I am aiming for half of what a
    conventional low priced B%W design canbe made. This would be a good low
    end market alternative to expesive, 6 hour colour super pocket machines
    for ordinary people/ kids (a bit of wifi and GBA (for colour versions)
    compatability would cynch it).

    > Psion 5 is a superb machine. I tried NDO on a Psion 5mx (which is even
    > better) and somehow it works (but hangs also sometimes) under XTM. I did
    > not investigate further because NDO is ssssslllllooooowwwww on the 5mx.
    > I would not even try on a 5. And I had much fun using the Psion software.

    OK but this is a bummer having to convert between 5's Word, Wordperfect
    desktop and laptop Geoworks (to much potential for the essay to get
    unsynchronised).

    > By the way, PocketDOS is not yet available for the Psion and will
    > apprently never be.

    Pity they made out it would be soon. I downloaded another 2-3 Dos
    emaultors for it anyway.

    > NDO works nicely on a iPaq 3870 + PocketDOS demo. But I need a keyboard.

    Fitaly (some name like that) is probably the way to go (or go to the price
    search engines and ebay you will find keyboards for around $10). Fitaly
    (see Pen computing they advertise in there) is a onscreen keyboard that
    you slide your pen beween the different letters, easy simple (expensive)
    and fast. They also have battery packs for the Compaq. I have a Nec
    Mobile Pro P300 comming, but 6 hours and 320*240 screen is not ideal (but
    then I have trouble reading the Psion 5).

    Try www.usedhandhelds.com they have soem good deals there.

    > IMHO, if you want a fast yet light machine for NDO/GEOS, try a small PC
    > (x86 based computer).

    Not enough battery life, bulky/expensive (I have it on laptop for when I'm
    not on the move).

    It's ironic that software I like for low sized/efficencies is Tandy
    Deskmate (had the longlife laptop, should have kept it), Psion 3x (got the
    emu), and Geoworks.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --