USB printer - GEOS

This is a discussion on USB printer - GEOS ; Hi all, It seems someone has had some luck printing from Geos to a USB printer! This is a mail I got from Johannes Moeller. I tried to add here and there an explanation, but I don't know if it's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. USB printer

    Hi all,

    It seems someone has had some luck printing from Geos to a USB printer!
    This is a mail I got from Johannes Moeller. I tried to add here and there an
    explanation, but I don't know if it's all ok because I don't have an English
    WIN-version.
    At the moment I don't have a setup like Johannes, but he mailed me the
    details, maybe
    someone can try it?

    Edward Nijs
    Here is Johannes:

    -I take a USB-Printer from hp the HP Deskjet 550

    -I have a little tcp-ip-network at home.

    -All computer run with MS-Windows 98 or 95 or ME.
    -(I have DSL, but I don't went with breadbox ensemble over dsl into internet
    -:-()

    -One Computer have a USB-port. ... there is the printer installed
    -On this Computer I have take with right mouse bottem "Freigabe"(Share?)
    -Freigeben als Netzwerkdrucker(Share as networkprinter?)

    -On the other Computer I go "Netzwerkumgebung"(network environment?)
    -I take the Computer
    -An I find the printer

    -Or I go to "Arbeitsplatz"(Desktop?)
    -"Drucker" (Printer)
    -"Neuer Drucker"(New printer)
    -"Netzwerkdrucker"(Network printer)
    -"Durchsuchen" - den Drucker auswählen(Browse: select printer)
    -"Drucken auch unter DOS?" - "Ja" (printing under DOS:: YES)
    -"Druckeranschluß zuordnen" ( Define/Select Printerport?)
    -"weiter" (next?)

    -Now I can take the networkprinter and can say "Emuliere Printer on
    LPT3"(Emulate on LPT3)
    -Das geht so:
    -auf das Druckersymbol mit der rechten Maustaste (Rightclick on printer
    icon)
    -"Eigenschaften" (Properties?)
    -"Druckeranschluß zuordnen" (Define Printerport?)
    -und "Verbindung beim Start wieder herstellen"(reconnect after start?)

    -das wars

    -Jetzt muesste

    -PC GEOS den Drucker an LPT3 finden koennen. ;-)

    -Gruss Johannes

  2. Re: USB printer

    It shouldn't matter to GEOS if the shared printer is USB.

    "Edward" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > It seems someone has had some luck printing from Geos to a USB printer!
    > This is a mail I got from Johannes Moeller. I tried to add here and there

    an
    > explanation, but I don't know if it's all ok because I don't have an

    English
    > WIN-version.
    > At the moment I don't have a setup like Johannes, but he mailed me the
    > details, maybe
    > someone can try it?
    >
    > Edward Nijs
    > Here is Johannes:
    >
    > -I take a USB-Printer from hp the HP Deskjet 550
    >
    > -I have a little tcp-ip-network at home.
    >
    > -All computer run with MS-Windows 98 or 95 or ME.
    > -(I have DSL, but I don't went with breadbox ensemble over dsl into

    internet
    > -:-()
    >
    > -One Computer have a USB-port. ... there is the printer installed
    > -On this Computer I have take with right mouse bottem "Freigabe"(Share?)
    > -Freigeben als Netzwerkdrucker(Share as networkprinter?)
    >
    > -On the other Computer I go "Netzwerkumgebung"(network environment?)
    > -I take the Computer
    > -An I find the printer
    >
    > -Or I go to "Arbeitsplatz"(Desktop?)
    > -"Drucker" (Printer)
    > -"Neuer Drucker"(New printer)
    > -"Netzwerkdrucker"(Network printer)
    > -"Durchsuchen" - den Drucker auswählen(Browse: select printer)
    > -"Drucken auch unter DOS?" - "Ja" (printing under DOS:: YES)
    > -"Druckeranschluß zuordnen" ( Define/Select Printerport?)
    > -"weiter" (next?)
    >
    > -Now I can take the networkprinter and can say "Emuliere Printer on
    > LPT3"(Emulate on LPT3)
    > -Das geht so:
    > -auf das Druckersymbol mit der rechten Maustaste (Rightclick on printer
    > icon)
    > -"Eigenschaften" (Properties?)
    > -"Druckeranschluß zuordnen" (Define Printerport?)
    > -und "Verbindung beim Start wieder herstellen"(reconnect after start?)
    >
    > -das wars
    >
    > -Jetzt muesste
    >
    > -PC GEOS den Drucker an LPT3 finden koennen. ;-)
    >
    > -Gruss Johannes

  3. Re: USB printer

    "Bob" schreef in bericht
    > It shouldn't matter to GEOS if the shared printer is USB.

    Hi Bob,

    Well it shouldn't but this was the first time I read that someone got his
    usb printer to print from Geos.
    I can't. I have a Canon I-850 which does a very nice job,but not in Geos.
    I'll have to setup a network to try it.
    I notice however that even with 512 Mb RAM which was built in this pc it
    slows down everything, so I guess it needs a lot of pc memory to print?
    Any hints to prevent it from slowing down the mouse? No I won't add another
    512 Mb. :-D
    My old Canon BJ200 - it's now in my daughter's dorm at university :-( -
    has it's own memory.Never saw this behaviour with this oldie.

    Edward
    Still have your Lennon glasses? I lost a 4cd box of John. Someone 'borrowed
    ' it I think. :-(

  4. Re: USB printer

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:12:17 +0100, Edward wrote:

    > -I take a USB-Printer from hp the HP Deskjet 550
    >
    > -I have a little tcp-ip-network at home.

    Which begs the question, why can't Geos be made to send the printout to a
    driver that mimics as a shared resource, or just to a USB DOS driver with
    a Parallel wrapper driver software?

    Another solution would be if Sun/MS made a universal printer driver
    standard based on compiled Java (pref using the ex fast Toas engine) this
    would mean (if done properly) that companies only need to write one driver
    for all machines/OS's (Sun allready have a Universal driver standard in
    Java), but they would proibably do a Windows version and a universal one
    for the rest.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  5. Re: USB printer

    One improvement would be a GEOS LPR/LPD driver.

    Hans

    On 2003-11-04 00:54, Wayne wrote:

    >On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:12:17 +0100, Edward wrote:
    >

    >>-I take a USB-Printer from hp the HP Deskjet 550
    >>
    >>-I have a little tcp-ip-network at home.
    >>

    >Which begs the question, why can't Geos be made to send the printout to a
    >driver that mimics as a shared resource, or just to a USB DOS driver with
    >a Parallel wrapper driver software?
    >
    >Another solution would be if Sun/MS made a universal printer driver
    >standard based on compiled Java (pref using the ex fast Toas engine) this
    >would mean (if done properly) that companies only need to write one driver
    >for all machines/OS's (Sun allready have a Universal driver standard in
    >Java), but they would proibably do a Windows version and a universal one
    >for the rest.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Wayne.
    >

    >>-Gruss Johannes

  6. Re: USB printer

    "Edward" wrote in message

    Some hints here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/winprint.html

  7. Re: USB printer

    Edward schrieb:

    > "Bob" schreef in bericht
    > > It shouldn't matter to GEOS if the shared printer is USB.
    > >

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Well it shouldn't but this was the first time I read that someone got his
    > usb printer to print from Geos.
    > I can't. I have a Canon I-850 which does a very nice job,but not in Geos.
    > I'll have to setup a network to try it.

    The problem is that at least Win95 (I just tried it) refuses to capture
    an LPT port to a local printer, even if you defined a 'printer loop'
    (share the printer with the network and then connect a new printer with
    the shared network address). I don't know why, as it is no problem
    printing to the looped printer device from within windows.

    Printing over the network works. My girlfriend has an HP 870Cxi shared
    on our LAN and I can print from GEOS under Win95 on my laptop to her
    printer. It is unimportant whether the printer is serial, parallel, USB
    or whatever. As long as it understands the printer data that comes from
    GEOS, it should print.
    If GEOS is running under W98 and up, it should also be possible to print
    to pure network printers (directly attached to the LAN) by using their
    IP address as link destination. (W95 can't do this AFAIK, as it uses
    NETBIOS only to share printers and drives)

    > I notice however that even with 512 Mb RAM which was built in this pc it
    > slows down everything, so I guess it needs a lot of pc memory to print?

    the problem is the printer port access. When GEOS sends a byte to the
    printer, the 'write access' to the faked printer port takes ages because
    it is no real port but triggers an exception that will capture the write
    command and route the written byte to whereever it shall go.
    And Windows really isn't an efficiency wizard already.
    Maybe setting the GEOS port settings to IRQ, BIOS or DOS changes the
    speed. I guess, DOS should be the fastest, as the DOS call directly
    routes the data to the windows driver, but maybe IRQ doesn't disturb
    GEOS so much. It might depend on the actual Windows installation.

    > Any hints to prevent it from slowing down the mouse? No I won't add another
    > 512 Mb. :-D

    This isn't the problem.
    depending on the printer settings, windows either stores the whole
    printing process on HD (this means, the printer will start to print when
    GEOS exits) or routes every byte to the printer as it is written to the
    LPT port. This wills tart printing immediately but triggers a network
    packet for every byte (worst case).
    Since windows does not postprocess the data, the only memory intensive
    task is the GEOS printer driver. And this doesn't take that much

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  8. Re: USB printer

    Wayne schrieb:

    > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:12:17 +0100, Edward wrote:
    >

    > > -I take a USB-Printer from hp the HP Deskjet 550
    > >
    > > -I have a little tcp-ip-network at home.

    > Which begs the question, why can't Geos be made to send the printout to a
    > driver that mimics as a shared resource, or just to a USB DOS driver with
    > a Parallel wrapper driver software?

    Well, if someone writes an USB driver for DOS that really works
    (remember, USB is an awful piece of SH*T, with its huge protocol stack
    and its nested tree structure), it shouldn't be a poblem to intercept
    data output to DOS LPTx and redirect it to the printer.
    But with all these chipsets with their own unique and hardware
    incompatible USB controller, the routers and so on, all only with
    windows drivers, it would be a huge pile of work.

    I'm sure I could do such a redirector within a week. And I'm also shure
    it would only work on my PC and on no other
    And I don't have an USB printer

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  9. Re: USB printer

    "Jens-Michael Gross" wrote in message
    > If GEOS is running under W98 and up, it should also be possible to print
    > to pure network printers (directly attached to the LAN) by using their
    > IP address as link destination. (W95 can't do this AFAIK, as it uses
    > NETBIOS only to share printers and drives)
    > Grossibaer

    AFAIK, no. The entire Win 9X family is unable to print to an IP address.
    There is no way to "tell" the 9X family to print to a TCP/IP address.

  10. Re: USB printer

    In Bob wrote:
    > AFAIK, no. The entire Win 9X family is unable to print to an IP
    > address. There is no way to "tell" the 9X family to print to a TCP/IP
    > address.

    It is interesting you mention that. I have 2 network printers and try as
    I might I have never been abot to get Win 98 to either find them or use
    them. Some time back I just decided that it was not doable with the
    standard install of Win 98.

    I assume however that printing to a network printer must be possible
    with additional software? If it is could you tell me what all it takes.
    thanks.

    bill

  11. Re: USB printer

    On 2003-11-10 01:14, Bob wrote:

    >"Jens-Michael Gross" wrote in message
    >

    >>If GEOS is running under W98 and up, it should also be possible to print
    >>to pure network printers (directly attached to the LAN) by using their
    >>IP address as link destination. (W95 can't do this AFAIK, as it uses
    >>NETBIOS only to share printers and drives)
    >>Grossibaer
    >>

    >AFAIK, no. The entire Win 9X family is unable to print to an IP address.
    >There is no way to "tell" the 9X family to print to a TCP/IP address.

    That is correct if you only look to the Windows 98 package, however
    there are many third-party solutions, better or worse,
    that will make this possible, and I think that is what Jens have in
    mind. One of the worst ones I have seen in the one that comes bundeled
    with Epson printers and Axis-boxes. Easy to install, but a minor hell
    to get rid off ;-)

    BR,
    Hans

  12. Re: USB printer

    On 2003-11-10 03:59, William Ove wrote:

    >In Bob wrote:
    >

    >>AFAIK, no. The entire Win 9X family is unable to print to an IP
    >>address. There is no way to "tell" the 9X family to print to a TCP/IP
    >>address.
    >>

    >It is interesting you mention that. I have 2 network printers and try as
    >I might I have never been abot to get Win 98 to either find them or use
    >them. Some time back I just decided that it was not doable with the
    >standard install of Win 98.

    Yep, that is correct. You will need a third-party software.

    >I assume however that printing to a network printer must be possible
    >with additional software? If it is could you tell me what all it takes.
    >thanks.

    There are quite some third-party solutions, I think you can look on the
    internet for them. Even Apple have one for LaserWriter 8500 and Windows
    98 supporting TCP/IP printing. I know as I have installed it.

    Hans

  13. Re: USB printer

    In Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > There are quite some third-party solutions, I think you can look on
    > the internet for them. Even Apple have one for LaserWriter 8500 and
    > Windows 98 supporting TCP/IP printing. I know as I have installed it.
    >
    > Hans

    Thanks for the post, but neither the Apple LaserWriter software nor the
    Epson software seem to do anything when installed. I am not clear what I
    should expect, but with Be and Mac and Suse Linux, the OS just finds the
    printer. With Windows even after the Apple and Epson software are
    installed the printers are not found.

    I do not think my Windows 98 install gets to the point of recognizing it
    is on a network. Actually I guess it is not that bad, it can go through
    the router to get to the internet, and I can successfully ping the
    printers. However I can not set them up to work.

    It is ironic that the Epson print server software is configured through
    a web interface. So using Windows 98, I can control the printer, however
    I can not get a document to print from it.

    bill

  14. Re: USB printer

    On 2003-11-11 02:29, William Ove wrote:

    >In Hans Lindgren wrote:
    >

    >>There are quite some third-party solutions, I think you can look on
    >>the internet for them. Even Apple have one for LaserWriter 8500 and
    >>Windows 98 supporting TCP/IP printing. I know as I have installed it.
    >>
    >>Hans
    >>

    >Thanks for the post, but neither the Apple LaserWriter software nor the
    >Epson software seem to do anything when installed. I am not clear what I
    >should expect, but with Be and Mac and Suse Linux, the OS just finds the
    >printer. With Windows even after the Apple and Epson software are
    >installed the printers are not found.
    >
    >I do not think my Windows 98 install gets to the point of recognizing it
    >is on a network. Actually I guess it is not that bad, it can go through
    >the router to get to the internet, and I can successfully ping the
    >printers. However I can not set them up to work.
    >
    >It is ironic that the Epson print server software is configured through
    >a web interface. So using Windows 98, I can control the printer, however
    >I can not get a document to print from it.

    Well, I didn't say it would be easy, did I?
    For Apple LaserWriter 8500 you will need one of the two CD:s distributed
    with the printer. From there you have to install the Apple printer
    port. I can't remember the name of the port, I think it is something
    like Apple printer port or Apple TCP/IP printer port , but in the manual
    of the LaserWriter 8500 you will find the how to for the installation,
    but the description is not complete, you will have to hack your way
    through. On the CD there is the Apple TCP/IP printer port software for
    Windows, and you need to install it. Beware, on the CD there is two
    installation options for the Windows software, you have to choose
    "Custom" or similar and check the option to install the TCP/IP printing
    port. I don't have the documentation nor the CD in my hands as it
    belongs to a client. I can check, but it will take some time. weeks or
    months.

    Epson utilizes the Axis print box, and you will the need Axis box
    connected to the printer, and you have to install that to use the tcp/ip
    printing port software in Windows. HP does have a similar solution, and
    I prefer HP, over Axis.

    You can use any search engine, like for example Google and try to search
    for Windows 98 and LPR/LPD as the Unix standard is called to print to a
    printer on a network.

    BR,
    Hans

  15. Re: USB printer

    My Bios has a selection for USB DOS support, is there some standard DOS
    interface for USB that a Enswemble driver could be made for? What would
    be good is if the printer maufactures produced a second universal printer
    driver based on the Java printer driver format. Actually Open Source has
    been making drivers for unsupported hardware like this for a while, could
    they be examined and drivers made for Ensemble?

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  16. Re: USB printer

    Wayne schrieb:

    > My Bios has a selection for USB DOS support, is there some standard DOS
    > interface for USB that a Enswemble driver could be made for? What would
    > be good is if the printer maufactures produced a second universal printer
    > driver based on the Java printer driver format. Actually Open Source has
    > been making drivers for unsupported hardware like this for a while, could
    > they be examined and drivers made for Ensemble?

    I don't know of any DOS standard for USB devices.
    The only thing I ever heard of (very distant) was an ASPI manager for
    USB ports under DOS. ASPI is a known DOS standard.
    It could be possible to access USB scanners or USB drives as SCSI
    devices.

    The BIOS support for DOS more or less means that USB keyboard (and
    perhaps Mouse) are routed to normal keyboard (and mouse) ports, as long
    as the software uses BIOS calls to get the data.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  17. Re: USB printer

    Does that mean that printers could be routed to appear as a standard LPT
    port? The thing also has DOS USB thumbdrive support.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  18. Re: USB printer

    Wayne schrieb:

    > Does that mean that printers could be routed to appear as a standard LPT
    > port? The thing also has DOS USB thumbdrive support.

    AFAIK no.
    The BIOS support is limited to USB keyboard and perhaps USB standard
    mouse.
    Jus tto allow altering BIOS settings or install a software that manages
    the USB port itself, in case you do not have a 'real' keyboard at hand.
    Managing one o two exactly known devices which need only a simple serial
    protocol (which is true for keyboard and mouse) on USB is relatively
    simple. Doing more (like maintaining printer status lines, handshaking
    or whatever and for different devices) is very complex under USB and
    needs a huge protocol stack.

    There are some USB driverts for DOS for mass storage devices (even a
    firewire and USB boot disk), but these drivers are larger than the whole
    BIOS.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  19. Re: USB printer

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:18:39 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    > There are some USB driverts for DOS for mass storage devices (even a
    > firewire and USB boot disk), but these drivers are larger than the whole
    > BIOS.

    Ohh yummy, yum, yum.

    What are we to do when product move more towards devices based on WI-FI,
    firewire, PCI Express Serial Desktop bus standards?

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  20. Re: USB printer

    "Wayne" wrote in message
    newsprywayogagcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...

    > What are we to do when product move more towards devices based on WI-FI,
    > firewire, PCI Express Serial Desktop bus standards?
    >
    > Wayne.

    nother easy lay up. If you get one of those PCs, you use the OS that
    supports it, or optionally switch to an OS that fully supports the hardware.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast