Annoying 'feature' in NDO2000 News Reader - GEOS

This is a discussion on Annoying 'feature' in NDO2000 News Reader - GEOS ; I have been playing around with the newsreader on NDO2000 and I've discovered a "feature" that in my case is pretty annoying. I hope Breadbox's next release doesn't duplicate the problem. Or maybe there's a workaround. Evidently, the newsreader keeps ...

  1. Annoying 'feature' in NDO2000 News Reader

    I have been playing around with the newsreader on NDO2000 and I've
    discovered a "feature" that in my case is pretty annoying. I hope
    Breadbox's next release doesn't duplicate the problem. Or maybe there's
    a workaround.

    Evidently, the newsreader keeps a local list of available newsgroups
    that it downloads from your NNTP service provider. If you want to
    subscribe to a group, it must exist on the local list. Of course, you
    can always refresh your list.

    Unfortunately, it appears that there's a hard limit on how many
    newsgroups can be in the list or how many it can download at one
    time or something. It's a fairly high limit, several thousand,
    but it's not big enough. Maybe my ISP (Roadrunner) is overly
    generous, but when I try to refresh my list, it gets down to
    'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad' and stops. And of course, if a
    newsgroup isn't on the local list, you can't read it, so I can't get,
    say, 'talk.religion.course-miracle', something I read occasionally.

    So, I'd suggest either increasing the limit or providing a way to
    directly query the NNTP provider (like trn's 'l' command) or something.

    Incidently, does the newsreader provide any way to decode MIME
    attachments? I don't see one.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  2. Re: Annoying 'feature' in NDO2000 News Reader

    Hi Doug,

    You are correct. The newsgroup limit in the version in NDO2000 was
    somewhat arbitrarily set at 32,000 groups. That limit has been changed
    to 60,000. Plus you can now simply type in the newsgroup name if you
    know it instead of DLing the entire list from your news server. These
    changes are in the NewsReader that is in the versions of Ensemble being
    sold by our distributors.

    John ;-)

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > I have been playing around with the newsreader on NDO2000 and I've
    > discovered a "feature" that in my case is pretty annoying. I hope
    > Breadbox's next release doesn't duplicate the problem. Or maybe there's
    > a workaround.
    >
    > Evidently, the newsreader keeps a local list of available newsgroups
    > that it downloads from your NNTP service provider. If you want to
    > subscribe to a group, it must exist on the local list. Of course, you
    > can always refresh your list.
    >
    > Unfortunately, it appears that there's a hard limit on how many
    > newsgroups can be in the list or how many it can download at one
    > time or something. It's a fairly high limit, several thousand,
    > but it's not big enough. Maybe my ISP (Roadrunner) is overly
    > generous, but when I try to refresh my list, it gets down to
    > 'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad' and stops. And of course, if a
    > newsgroup isn't on the local list, you can't read it, so I can't get,
    > say, 'talk.religion.course-miracle', something I read occasionally.
    >
    > So, I'd suggest either increasing the limit or providing a way to
    > directly query the NNTP provider (like trn's 'l' command) or something.
    >
    > Incidently, does the newsreader provide any way to decode MIME
    > attachments? I don't see one.

  3. Re: Annoying 'feature' in NDO2000 News Reader

    In article ,
    John Howard wrote:
    >Hi Doug,
    >
    >You are correct. The newsgroup limit in the version in NDO2000 was
    >somewhat arbitrarily set at 32,000 groups. That limit has been changed
    >to 60,000. Plus you can now simply type in the newsgroup name if you
    >know it instead of DLing the entire list from your news server. These
    >changes are in the NewsReader that is in the versions of Ensemble being
    >sold by our distributors.

    Cool! Thanks for the info, John.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  4. Re: Annoying 'feature' in NDO2000 News Reader

    I have over 40.000 in my list of newsgroups in NewsReader.............

    - Hans

    On 2003-10-30 16:10, Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    >I have been playing around with the newsreader on NDO2000 and I've
    >discovered a "feature" that in my case is pretty annoying. I hope
    >Breadbox's next release doesn't duplicate the problem. Or maybe there's
    >a workaround.
    >
    >Evidently, the newsreader keeps a local list of available newsgroups
    >that it downloads from your NNTP service provider. If you want to
    >subscribe to a group, it must exist on the local list. Of course, you
    >can always refresh your list.
    >
    >Unfortunately, it appears that there's a hard limit on how many
    >newsgroups can be in the list or how many it can download at one
    >time or something. It's a fairly high limit, several thousand,
    >but it's not big enough. Maybe my ISP (Roadrunner) is overly
    >generous, but when I try to refresh my list, it gets down to
    >'microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad' and stops. And of course, if a
    >newsgroup isn't on the local list, you can't read it, so I can't get,
    >say, 'talk.religion.course-miracle', something I read occasionally.
    >
    >So, I'd suggest either increasing the limit or providing a way to
    >directly query the NNTP provider (like trn's 'l' command) or something.
    >
    >Incidently, does the newsreader provide any way to decode MIME
    >attachments? I don't see one.

+ Reply to Thread