Corrupt Installation Disks - GEOS

This is a discussion on Corrupt Installation Disks - GEOS ; Hi My version of Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 has become corrupt and I cannot install it. Is there anywhere I can download it? I'm sorry if I have double posted this, I'm trying to get to grips with a new newsreader. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 171

  1. Corrupt Installation Disks

    Hi

    My version of Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 has become corrupt and I cannot
    install it. Is there anywhere I can download it?

    I'm sorry if I have double posted this, I'm trying to get to grips with a
    new newsreader.

    Thanks

    Wayne

    -----------------
    Nospam please.

  2. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    Wayne schrieb:

    > Hi
    >
    > My version of Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 has become corrupt and I cannot
    > install it. Is there anywhere I can download it?
    >
    > I'm sorry if I have double posted this, I'm trying to get to grips with a
    > new newsreader.

    Are the disks itself corrupted (read errors)?
    If not, what kind of error is reported?

    The 2.0x installer required a drive with less than 256MB space (due to a
    calculation overflow). Just put some garbage on the partition and delete
    it after install.

    Also, 2.08 does not run directly after installation on systems with more
    than ~100 MHz. It will report a KR after the setup process.
    To skip this, change the line 'continuesetup=true' to 'false' in the
    GEOS.INI file with a text editor (e.g. EDIT (DOS) or Notepad (windows)).
    Then start GEOS and manually configure the printer with the preferences
    program.

    Another problem: 2.x does not run with more than 32MB XMS memory on this
    system. You'll need to replace the XMS.GEO driver with a newer one,
    available at www.tvakatter.org
    Alternatively you can start loader.exe with the parameter /nomem (to not
    use XMS or EMS at all) and then switch XMS usage off in preferences.
    Only a solution if you have EMS available, as GEOS is slow without any
    additional memory.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  3. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    "Jens-Michael Gross" wrote in message

    > The 2.0x installer required a drive with less than 256MB space (due to a
    > calculation overflow).

    > Grossibaer

    Odd. I've installed it several times on my old 286 that had a 10MB drive.

  4. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    I have GW 2.01 Ensemble on four floppy disks. I can create disk images
    and e-mail to you if needed, or can just copy on four floppies and mail
    them to you.
    Also, be aware that you will need to install this either under Win 9X or
    on a pure DOS partition, and if the computer is any faster than 800Mhz,
    you will need to install a utility to slow down the processor.

    Wayne wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My version of Geoworks Ensemble 2.01 has become corrupt and I cannot
    > install it. Is there anywhere I can download it?
    >
    > I'm sorry if I have double posted this, I'm trying to get to grips
    > with a new newsreader.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > -----------------
    > Nospam please.

  5. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:27:59 GMT, Chip Reinhardt wrote:

    > I have GW 2.01 Ensemble on four floppy disks. I can create disk images
    > and e-mail to you if needed, or can just copy on four floppies and mail
    > them to you.

    Yes please that would help very much, this time I'm making backup discs.
    You might not be able to send the last disk (I have 5mb email account)
    until I come back and clear them out. Thanks for this.

    > Also, be aware that you will need to install this either under Win 9X or
    > on a pure DOS partition, and if the computer is any faster than 800Mhz,
    > you will need to install a utility to slow down the processor.

    It's 98, can quickly bechanged though, I have freedows sitting on the main
    machine.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    -----------------
    Nospam please.

  6. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:31:15 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    Yes so many errors on disk 3 it's not funny, even the windows disk
    check/repair utiliy just failes to complete.

    Thanks for all the usefull tips here, has anybody ever thought of making a
    pre-installer (or post installer) program disk to detect and retify all
    these problems (including configuring the system for use with Windows 9x
    and XP)? So we simply put the disk in before or after the Geos
    installation and let it do the rest?

    > Are the disks itself corrupted (read errors)?
    > If not, what kind of error is reported?
    >
    > The 2.0x installer required a drive with less than 256MB space (due to a
    > calculation overflow). Just put some garbage on the partition and delete
    > it after install.
    > Grossibaer

    Thanks Wayne.

    --------------------
    No Spam please.

  7. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    I once came across a site that had a number of the different geos office
    suits up for download. I couldn't find them again but found a couple of
    sites with Newdeal office and Ensemble 2.0 for free download. This site
    implied that they were now free to the public for legal download. Is this
    true, what is people's opinions on this?

    I was going to buy the latest package until I found out that Breadbox had
    taken Geos over and the price was now much too expensive, and so I decided
    to stick with Ensemble instead. $30US with a free dos dist (and Java),
    and the new utilities that allows any machine to use windows drivers (for
    Java/3D vm to hook into) for people to install on old machines (which
    don't come with Dos or software disks) would make Geos popular. Anything
    above $49US is just unwarranted in this day and age. I am actually
    planning on converting over to Star Office on the newer machine. A copy
    of geoworks that worked inside of Windows as well, with Corel/Word/RTF
    file compatability would be an extremely attractive prospect for system
    sellers to include with new machines?

    I think Geoworks Ensemble's biggest problem is that the company dropped
    the Office suite business to concentrate on mobiles, and it languished
    after that, now the mobile sector has gone bung on them they need to
    purchase back the office suit. The desktop software was not only
    complimentary to matching devices, but essential for the devies themselves
    as now the market has moved full circle (look at PocketPC APPS, even Palms
    had keyboards). I can't buy a new cheap $100, or even $200, B&W VGA
    handheld with 60 hours battery life to do notes/wordproccessing on, for
    Geoworks with an Arm7Java chip or even an xt, thats a cynche.

    Sorry I replied off of your Post Chip, but this new Opera newsreader is a
    pain and I lost my origional post. The M2 mail/news database feature on
    Opera 7.21 is a great idea on a great browser, but the implementation
    defeats it a bit, I can't even nominate a periode or number of posts to
    download/reload, apart from having all my email pooled on one database,
    and inadequate filtering options to keep them from getting mixed up.
    They'll figure it out eventually?

    Wayne

    ------------------
    No Spam Please.

  8. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    freedows?

    is that something like doritows?

    Wayne wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:27:59 GMT, Chip Reinhardt wrote:
    >
    >> I have GW 2.01 Ensemble on four floppy disks. I can create disk
    >> images and e-mail to you if needed, or can just copy on four floppies
    >> and mail them to you.

    > Yes please that would help very much, this time I'm making backup
    > discs. You might not be able to send the last disk (I have 5mb email
    > account) until I come back and clear them out. Thanks for this.
    >
    >> Also, be aware that you will need to install this either under Win 9X
    >> or on a pure DOS partition, and if the computer is any faster than
    >> 800Mhz, you will need to install a utility to slow down the processor.
    >>

    > It's 98, can quickly bechanged though, I have freedows sitting on the
    > main machine.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Wayne.
    >
    > -----------------
    > Nospam please.

  9. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:03:30 GMT, hyubso wrote:

    > freedows?
    >
    > is that something like doritows?

    Sorry I meant Free Dos (free Open Source DOs project).

    --
    No Spam Please.

  10. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    "Wayne" wrote in message
    newsprxqhy9o8gcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > I once came across a site that had a number of the different geos office
    > suits up for download. I couldn't find them again but found a couple of
    > sites with Newdeal office and Ensemble 2.0 for free download. This site
    > implied that they were now free to the public for legal download. Is this
    > true, what is people's opinions on this?

    Its not legal for download. You might have stumbled into a private server.
    Report such web sites to Breadbox for legal action.

    > I was going to buy the latest package until I found out that Breadbox had
    > taken Geos over and the price was now much too expensive, and so I decided
    > to stick with Ensemble instead. $30US with a free dos dist (and Java),
    > and the new utilities that allows any machine to use windows drivers (for
    > Java/3D vm to hook into) for people to install on old machines (which
    > don't come with Dos or software disks) would make Geos popular. Anything
    > above $49US is just unwarranted in this day and age. I am actually
    > planning on converting over to Star Office on the newer machine. A copy
    > of geoworks that worked inside of Windows as well, with Corel/Word/RTF
    > file compatability would be an extremely attractive prospect for system
    > sellers to include with new machines?

    It all hinges on what software runs well on the target hardware. At a given
    cut off point of your PCs resources, then GEOS is the best and only GUI
    choice available.

    > I think Geoworks Ensemble's biggest problem is that the company dropped
    > the Office suite business to concentrate on mobiles, and it languished
    > after that, now the mobile sector has gone bung on them they need to
    > purchase back the office suit. The desktop software was not only
    > complimentary to matching devices, but essential for the devies themselves
    > as now the market has moved full circle (look at PocketPC APPS, even Palms
    > had keyboards). I can't buy a new cheap $100, or even $200, B&W VGA
    > handheld with 60 hours battery life to do notes/wordproccessing on, for
    > Geoworks with an Arm7Java chip or even an xt, thats a cynche.

    Geoworks studied the market after the Zoomer was introduced and decided
    their plate would have been too full pursuing PDAs and desktop computers,
    simultaneously. It was a decision that was partly made for them by the
    venture capital group who invested in Geoworks. As fate would have it, had
    Geoworks developed their cross-platform GEOS-SC system sooner, it would have
    been the Palm Pilot Operating System. By that point, Geoworks had all but
    abandoned PDAs, and switched to Nokia and their Smartphone project. Too bad,
    the Geoworks management bet too heavily on the GEOS3 PDA version that ran a
    small kernel on X86 PDAs and Smartphones. IOW, Geoworks was not able to
    sense and react to the competition developing on low-power consuming RISC
    chips.

    > Sorry I replied off of your Post Chip, but this new Opera newsreader is a
    > pain and I lost my origional post. The M2 mail/news database feature on
    > Opera 7.21 is a great idea on a great browser, but the implementation
    > defeats it a bit, I can't even nominate a periode or number of posts to
    > download/reload, apart from having all my email pooled on one database,
    > and inadequate filtering options to keep them from getting mixed up.
    > They'll figure it out eventually?

    Opera, Netscape, and IE have their pros and cons, but they're all fat and
    unwieldy on slower PCs. I would strongly recommend the new Firebird 0.7,
    which is based on the Mozilla code.

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

  11. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:28:41 GMT, Pat wrote:
    > Opera, Netscape, and IE have their pros and cons, but they're all fat and
    > unwieldy on slower PCs. I would strongly recommend the new Firebird 0.7,
    > which is based on the Mozilla code.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

    The Windows version is nearly double the size of the latest Opera (3.2MB
    non Java), I thought there was a Mozilla version around 4 MB out there.

    Thanks

    Wayne.
    --
    No Spam Please.

  12. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    Thanks, got it installed (finnaly after much hassel), could not complete
    setup as when I Ensemble it tells me:

    No valid font files found in userdata/font directory (KR-29).

    I'm running off Win 98 command line petition, Compaq LTE 486/75 notebook,
    16 MB Ram and 512MB drive.

    I'm too tired to handle it at the moment so I'll have to get to it latter,
    I remember seeing this problem mentioned somewhere.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  13. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    "Wayne" wrote in message
    newsprxrum6lvgcp3q2@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:28:41 GMT, Pat wrote:
    > > Opera, Netscape, and IE have their pros and cons, but they're all fat

    and
    > > unwieldy on slower PCs. I would strongly recommend the new Firebird 0.7,
    > > which is based on the Mozilla code.
    > >
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

    > The Windows version is nearly double the size of the latest Opera (3.2MB
    > non Java), I thought there was a Mozilla version around 4 MB out there.

    There is a full Mozilla version with many bells and whistles. Also, its that
    code which eventually gets rolled into the next version of Netscape, which
    is based on Mozilla. Likewise, Firebird is also built on Mozilla, but is far
    lighter in weight. Still has great support for features and keeps getting
    better. Also, you download one compressed file and unzip it into its own
    directory (e.g. C:\FIREBIRD or, C:\PROGRAM FILES\FIREBIRD). Drag out a
    shortcut onto the desktop, and you're good to go. No registry entries or
    (.INI) files of any kind are needed. The whole thing is 100% stored in one
    directory as a nice neat install, or reinstall, or delete. One directory and
    the shortcut, that's it!

  14. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    Thanks for the information. I would like to steer people away from
    explorer (except for update, hey they just tied the user in again, who can
    afford to delete it from there system now), and onto Opera and
    Mizzila/Netscape.

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:38:33 GMT, Pat wrote:
    > lighter in weight. Still has great support for features and keeps getting
    > better. Also, you download one compressed file and unzip it into its own
    > directory (e.g. C:\FIREBIRD or, C:\PROGRAM FILES\FIREBIRD). Drag out a
    > shortcut onto the desktop, and you're good to go. No registry entries or
    > (.INI) files of any kind are needed. The whole thing is 100% stored in
    > one
    > directory as a nice neat install, or reinstall, or delete. One directory
    > and
    > the shortcut, that's it!

    Opera is pretty much like that too (but you can nominate to keeps seperate
    user data in their own document and settings folder).

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  15. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    Well I'm glad my original post finally turned up on my machine (after a
    couple of days), really wierd.

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  16. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:28:41 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >Opera, Netscape, and IE have their pros and cons, but they're all fat and
    >unwieldy on slower PCs. I would strongly recommend the new Firebird 0.7,
    >which is based on the Mozilla code.
    >
    >http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

    Tried it and love it.

    None of the problems I've always had with the others:

    IE - DirectX control blabla
    NS 7.0 - sloooow
    Opera - sometimes rendering pages incorrectly

    Holger

  17. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:42:39 GMT, Holger Laux
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:28:41 GMT, "Pat" wrote:
    >
    >> Opera, Netscape, and IE have their pros and cons, but they're all fat
    >> and
    >> unwieldy on slower PCs. I would strongly recommend the new Firebird 0.7,
    >> which is based on the Mozilla code.
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

    > Tried it and love it.
    >
    > None of the problems I've always had with the others:
    >
    > IE - DirectX control blabla
    > NS 7.0 - sloooow
    > Opera - sometimes rendering pages incorrectly

    Exactly. But this is MS's fault for moving the goal posts with non
    standard items, Opera ussually cathes up and has been very good in 7 (but
    still not completely). It would be good if Breadbox could license some of
    their tech? Has anybody ever thought of porting Mozilla/Firebird and Java
    to Geos?

    I would like to say that I love Geos, and I think Geoworks is better to
    have then Linux, and a much better chioce for their software projects. A
    lot of things that we would like, JAVA, Windows driver, DirectX/OpenGL,
    USB/IO drivers, DVD, music/media centre, MP3, even Windows compatibility
    are all available in the Linux/Open Source community. They could all be
    ported over to work under Geoworks. I tried to send a email form message
    to Breadbox yesterday about it, but their email form server emailed me a
    rejection of my message. There is many, many millions of dollers to be
    easily made out of Geoworks. Geoworks, is one of a few OS companies, that
    if combined, could take on the OS world. As it is, even just making the
    user interface fully user customisable would be a big improvement,
    Geoworks is good and fast but it dosen't look flash anymore (look at some
    of the DOS and Linux Gui's). Java/Java 3D with Open GL 3D card driver
    would also be good too. One of the problems I found in the NewDeal test
    version was even though it had a new coat of paint, the usability was not
    anyware as easy and as convient as Windows. Most of the improvements are
    only very minor, If Breadbox nees a Beta tester I would be willing.

    Thanks

    Wayne.

    --
    No Spam Please.

  18. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    Wayne schrieb:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:31:15 +0100, Jens-Michael Gross
    > wrote:
    >
    > Yes so many errors on disk 3 it's not funny, even the windows disk
    > check/repair utiliy just failes to complete.

    I can't help you then since I have the German 2.0 which is a completely
    (regarding the install disks) different distribution.
    But there should be someone here who can send you disk3 as zipped file
    (there is no copy protection, only the disk name has to be maintained in
    addition to the files)

    > Thanks for all the usefull tips here, has anybody ever thought of making a
    > pre-installer (or post installer) program disk to detect and retify all
    > these problems (including configuring the system for use with Windows 9x
    > and XP)? So we simply put the disk in before or after the Geos
    > installation and let it do the rest?

    No. Since there are other distributions out for years (NewDeal Office
    3.2a or NewDeal office 2000 or Breadbox Ensemble) which do not have the
    HD space or XMS or fast CPU problem and should run more or less
    out-of-the-box under Win9x, there is no real need.
    (There is a known poblem with even these distributions for CPUs over 800
    or 1400MHz - depending on the processor - which requires slowing down
    the computer)

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  19. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    Wayne schrieb:

    > I once came across a site that had a number of the different geos office
    > suits up for download. I couldn't find them again but found a couple of
    > sites with Newdeal office and Ensemble 2.0 for free download. This site
    > implied that they were now free to the public for legal download. Is this
    > true, what is people's opinions on this?

    Definitely not.
    It is still copyrighted. Remember, even 'abandonware' isn't freeware. It
    is only unlikely that someone will sue you for spreading it, if it was
    really abandoned. But in some cases, either a newer version is still
    being sold commercially, or the product was bought to remove it from the
    market (in favor of a competing product). In this case there is strong
    interest of the owner that it will not be spread any further. (like
    FontMonger, which was bought by Adobe and taken from the market)

    Anzway, can you send me the URL? (well, I have more GEOS versions
    than I need, but just for completion of my 'museum' I'd like to take a
    look at it)

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  20. Re: Corrupt Installation Disks

    Wayne schrieb:

    > Thanks, got it installed (finnaly after much hassel), could not complete
    > setup as when I Ensemble it tells me:
    >
    > No valid font files found in userdata/font directory (KR-29).

    A typical problem if there are not enough DOS file handles.
    Add the line 'files=120' to your config.sys file in c:\

    Grossibaer