Ensemble & XP - GEOS

This is a discussion on Ensemble & XP - GEOS ; On 13 Sep 2002 John Howard gave us a pretty complete set of instructions for running New Deal on XP. I still have the printout of those instructions, but I can't locate my digital file of it. So I can't ...

  1. Ensemble & XP

    On 13 Sep 2002 John Howard gave us a pretty complete set of instructions for
    running New Deal on XP. I still have the printout of those instructions, but I
    can't locate my digital file of it. So I can't reprint it here.

    I followed his instructions and until just recently had quite good success
    running both 3.2 and 4.20 on XP. I usually leave it minimized when I return to
    Windows, because it does not keep accurate time even when it is running full
    screen.

    However, just recently both versions have been very reluctant to open after I
    have shut down and rebooted Windows. 3.2 opens occasionally, but 4.20 doesn't
    want to.

    I wonder if John or any one else has any later tips about getting NDO to load.
    Or does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on?

    Dick

  2. Re: Ensemble & XP

    On 11 Oct 2003 23:00:43 GMT, rcantrell@aol.com (RCantrell) wrote:

    >On 13 Sep 2002 John Howard gave us a pretty complete set of instructions for
    >running New Deal on XP. I still have the printout of those instructions, but I
    >can't locate my digital file of it. So I can't reprint it here.
    >
    >I followed his instructions and until just recently had quite good success
    >running both 3.2 and 4.20 on XP. I usually leave it minimized when I return to
    >Windows, because it does not keep accurate time even when it is running full
    >screen.
    >
    >However, just recently both versions have been very reluctant to open after I
    >have shut down and rebooted Windows. 3.2 opens occasionally, but 4.20 doesn't
    >want to.
    >
    >I wonder if John or any one else has any later tips about getting NDO to load.
    >Or does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on?

    It does not seem quite to answer your question, but sometimes I
    noticed that NDO leaves a process running which prevents it from
    starting again. It just flashes a window and disappears again.

    The only solution for me is to shut Win NT4 down and start it again.

    BTW, how do you handle the missing keystrokes and mouseclicks in NDO
    under NT (or XP)? I find this quite annoying.

    Holger

  3. Re: Ensemble & XP

    In article <3f8a7762.860053451@news.bris.ac.uk>, holger.laux@bris.ac.uk (Holger
    Laux) writes:

    >The only solution for me is to shut Win NT4 down and start it again.

    That used to work for me too, but not even that does the trick now.

    Dick

  4. Re: Ensemble & XP

    Laux) writes:

    >BTW, how do you handle the missing keystrokes and mouseclicks in NDO
    >under NT (or XP)? I find this quite annoying.

    I have not encountered that problem.

    Dick

  5. Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    Since I wrote the first message on this subject I have not been able to get
    either 3.2a or 4.20 to load no matter how I tweak the GEOS.INI of either or the
    properties of the shortcut or of LOADER.

    But this morning I had a brief glimmer of hope. I managed to load a freshly
    reinstlled 4.20 and got as far as the restart after choosing the NewDeal
    Advanced Desk Top. Of course when it shut down it failed [as expected in XP] to
    restart. So I restarted XP and tried again to load it. But with no success.

    However the GEOS.INI now contains these lines:

    specname = NewDeal Advanced Desktop

    forceDeleteStateFilesOnceOnly = true

    I notice also that {welcome] also includes this line

    finishedSetup = true

    which is not strictly the fact

    Compatibilty is set for Windows 95 and to run in 256 colors. I followed John
    Howard's suggestion about ENSCONFIG.NT, etc, in the path and in the NDO2000
    folder.

    The properties for LOADER and for the shortcut are identical except that for
    LOADER the "Working" line is empty.

    I have included, below, the entire GEOS.INI in hopes that someone can tell me
    what might be tweaked about it.

    The more all of us can learn about running under XP the better for the future
    of NewDeal.

    Incidentally I am using XP Professional.

    Dick

    In article <20031011190043.25517.00001276@mb-m15.aol.com>, rcantrell@aol.com
    (RCantrell) writes:

    >On 13 Sep 2002 John Howard gave us a pretty complete set of instructions for
    >running New Deal on XP. I still have the printout of those instructions, but
    >can't locate my digital file of it. So I can't reprint it here.
    >
    >I followed his instructions and until just recently had quite good success
    >running both 3.2 and 4.20 on XP. I usually leave it minimized when I return
    >Windows, because it does not keep accurate time even when it is running full
    >screen.
    >
    >However, just recently both versions have been very reluctant to open after I
    >have shut down and rebooted Windows. 3.2 opens occasionally, but 4.20 doesn't
    >want to.
    >
    >I wonder if John or any one else has any later tips about getting NDO to
    >load.
    >Or does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on?

    [system]
    fs = ntfat.geo
    continueSetup = true
    handles = 3500
    version = 3.904

    setupMode = 6
    [setup]
    printer = false

    [screen 0]
    device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 256-color
    driver = VESA 256-color SVGA Driver
    ; device = VGA: 640x480 16-color
    ; driver = Standard VGA Driver
    bigMousePointer = false

    [mouse]
    info = 16384
    driver = GENMOUSE.GEO
    device = Windows 95 mouse support already installed

    [ui]
    specific = newui.geo
    sound = true
    haveEnvironmentApp = false
    productName = NewDeal
    deleteStateFilesAfterCrash = false
    backgroundcolor = 3
    overstrikeMode = false
    autosave = true
    autosaveTime = 60
    doNotDisplayResetBox = false
    confirmShutDown = true
    kbdAcceleratorMode = true
    specname = NewDeal Advanced Desktop

    forceDeleteStateFilesOnceOnly = true
    [uiFeatures]
    defaultLauncher = welcome.geo
    helpOptions = 0
    docControlOptions = 0
    launchOptions = 32768
    launchModel = 2
    launchLevel = 3
    expressOptions = 8191
    windowOptions = 0

    [uiFeatures - intro]
    defaultLauncher = cuiapp.geo
    docControlOptions = 12768
    docControlFSLevel = 0
    interfaceLevel = 0
    interfaceOptions = 20480
    launchLevel = 0
    documentControl = 03000000FF1300001100
    searchreplace = 010000000F0000000000
    displayControl = 03000000020000000200
    pageControl = 0200000000000000FFFF
    viewControl = 0300000020000016FFE9
    pointSize = 020000000000FC0703F8
    styleSheet = 0200000000000000FFFF
    chartGroup = 01000400000000000000
    grObjTool = 03000000020000000200
    GrObjAreaAttr = 030000006F0100006F01

    [uiFeatures - advanced]
    defaultLauncher = newdesk.geo
    interfaceLevel = 4
    launchLevel = 3
    windowOptions = 0
    launchOptions = 32768
    expressOptions = 4089
    docControlOptions = 6144
    docControlFSLevel = 3

    [welcome]
    startuproom = 3
    finishedSetup = true
    fromRegisterIcon = true
    regNoDial = true

    [task driver]
    driver = Non-Switching Task Driver
    device = No Task-Switcher

    [expressMenuControl]
    runSubMenu = false
    otherAppSubMenu = false
    forceSmallIcons = false
    runningAppSubMenu = false
    noLaunchItem = false

    [motif options]
    taskBarAutoHide = false
    taskBarMovable = true
    buttonInvertDelay = 6

    [fileManager]
    features = 32771
    startupDrivesLocation = 0
    filenameTokens = {
    *.EXE = "gDOS",0
    *.COM = "gDOS",0
    *.BAT = "gDOS",0
    *.DOC = "dDOC",0,"WP00",0
    *.RTF = "dRTF",0,"WP00",0
    *.HLP = "FILE",0,"TeEd",0
    *.TXT = "dTXT",0,"TeEd",0
    *.GIF = "dGIF",0,"DP00",0
    *.JPG = "dJPG",0,"DP00",0
    *.PCX = "gPCX",0,"DP00",0
    *.BMP = "dBMP",255,"DP00",0
    *.TIF = "gTIF",0,"DP00",0
    *.CSV = "dCSV",0,"GCAL",0
    *.WKS = "dWKS",0,"GCAL",0
    *.HTM = "dHTM",0,"GlbI",16431
    *.PDF = "dPDF",0,"PDFV",0
    *.QIF = "dQIF",0,"BNKR",16431
    *.WAV = "dWAV",0,"BSQP",16427
    *.CWD = "CW00",0,"CWRD",0
    * = "FILE",0,"TeEd",0
    }

    cuiFolders = {
    3,Office
    3,Games
    3,Utilities
    3,Accessories
    3,Organize
    }

    desktopLinks = {
    nDOC,0,5,,18,Documents
    ndAc,0,3,,18,World
    GlbI,16431,3,Skipper,12,Skipper
    mail,0,3,NewMail,12,NewMail
    }
    linksDone = false
    saveWinPosSize = true
    allPopupsKey = true
    allPopups = true
    debug = true
    dosLaunchers = true
    disableTokenLaunching = false
    maxOverlappingFolders = 32
    maxFullSizedFolders = 3
    debugLinks = true
    browseMode = true

    [sound]
    synthDriver=standard.geo
    sampleDriver=standard.geo
    volume = 40
    balance = 50
    wavDescriptions = {
    85_73_48_48_0_0, system startup
    85_73_48_48_0_1, system shutdown
    85_73_48_48_0_2, no input
    85_73_48_48_0_3, no help
    110_68_83_75_0_0, drag and drop
    71_65_77_69_0_0, game top ten winner
    83_79_76_73_0_0, solitaire out of time
    83_79_76_73_0_1, solitaire game won
    67_87_82_68_0_0, crossword check ok
    }
    85_73_48_48_0_0 = sy001.wav
    85_73_48_48_0_1 = sy002.wav
    85_73_48_48_0_2 = sy010.wav
    85_73_48_48_0_3 = sy010.wav
    110_68_83_75_0_0 = move.wav
    71_65_77_69_0_0 = ga001.wav
    83_79_76_73_0_0 = ga003.wav
    83_79_76_73_0_1 = ga002.wav
    67_87_82_68_0_0 = cw001.wav

    [PCtrl]
    FS = {
    ..newdealinc.com
    ..newdeal.org
    ..greenpc.com
    }

    [HTMLView]
    home = http://www.mygreenpc.com
    searchURL1 = http://www.google.com/
    searchURL2 = http://www.excite.com/peoplefinder/
    searchURL3 = http://yellowpages.excite.com/bus/
    searchURL4 = http://www.excite.com/search/news/
    mimeDrivers = {
    Graphics Import Library,image/gif,GIF
    Graphics Import Library,image/jpeg,JPG
    Document Import Library,application/pdf,PDF
    Document Import Library,audio/x-wav,WAV
    Document Import Library,application/crossword,CWD
    }
    URL Drivers = {
    Geos 3.0 External URL Driver,mailto
    Geos 3.0 External URL Driver,mailread
    Geos 3.0 External URL Driver,chat
    Geos 3.0 FTP URL Driver,FTP
    Geos 3.0 HTTP URL Driver,HTTP
    Geos 3.0 HTTP URL Driver,HTTPS
    }
    weakCacheExpiration = true
    altSrcCacheHosts = www.mygreenpc.com
    altSrcCacheExts = jpg gif wav
    srcCacheLimit = 8192
    altSrcCacheLimit = 8192
    objCacheLimit = 4096
    altObjCacheLimit = 2048
    memLimit = 11264
    numConn = 1

    [socket]
    domains = {
    tcpip
    tcpip_geos
    loopback
    }
    driverCloseDelay = 0
    LoadOnMsg = {
    CDAB00000800060016000100loopback000700MBTRANS\Sock et Receive
    CDAB00000A00060016000100tcpip_geos000700MBTRANS\So cket Receive
    CDAB00000500060016000100irlap000700MBTRANS\Socket Receive
    CDAB0C000500060016000100tcpip000700MBTRANS\Socket Receive
    }

    [resolver]
    sbelt = {}
    cacheSize = 100
    errorCount = 0

    [tcpip]
    driver = TCP/IP Driver
    driverType = 0
    link = PPP Driver
    linkDomain = PPP
    ;; To use the ODI Ethernet driver,
    ;; put semicolons in front of the
    ;; link and linkDomain lines above and
    ;; remove the semicolons from the
    ;; next two lines:
    ;link = ODI Ethernet Driver
    ;linkDomain = ODI Ethernet
    port = 0

    [accpnt]
    prevID = 1
    contents = {
    00010001
    }

    [accesspoint0001]
    name = New Account

    [ppp]
    portDriver = Serial Driver
    debug = 0
    port = 0
    baud = 3
    idialToken = IDIA
    rtscts = true
    predictor = 0
    dns = true
    lqm = true

    [services]
    modemInit = AT&F
    dialtone = ATX1

    [login applications]
    Manual = 5445524d0000

    [idialup]
    idleTimeout = 300
    internetapplications = {
    browser,
    email,
    newsread,
    gpcchat
    }

    [extURL]
    apps = {
    mailto mail,0
    mailread mail,0 3
    chat irc3,16431
    }

    [mimeDoc]
    fileTypes = {
    application/pdf PDF PDFV,0
    audio/x-wav WAV WVPL,17
    application/crossword CWD CWRD,0
    }

    [netLibrary]
    domainName = /COMM
    initDrivers = comm.geo

    [configure]
    ndOptions = 1
    helpEditor = false

    [parallel]
    port1 = 0
    port2 = 0

    [input]
    blinkingCursor = true
    rebootOnReset = false

    [text]
    replaceInSelection = true
    autoCheckSelections = true

    [klondike]
    fadeCards = false

    [heapspace]
    heapSpaceLimitsEnforced = false

    [mail]
    clnOnCrash = false
    toolbars = 58282
    features = 2
    send = 0
    rfont = 4608
    rsize = 10
    cfont = 4608
    csize = 10

    [banker]
    CheckPrinting = true

    [diskswap]
    size = 4096

    [address book]
    extraFeatures = 1

    [chat]
    canSlash = true

    [cui]
    autoShutdown = 504d47520000444d47520000

    [keyboard]
    device = U.S. Keyboard

  6. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    See my reply in the Geos-Talk list.

    John ;-)

    RCantrell wrote:

> [...]

    > debugLinks = true
    > browseMode = true
    >
    > [sound]
    > synthDriver=standard.geo
    > sampleDriver=standard.geo
    > volume = 40
    > balance = 50
    > wavDescriptions = {
    > 85_73_48_48_0_0, system startup
    > 85_73_48_48_0_1, system shutdown
    > 85_73_48_48_0_2, no input
    > 85_73_48_48_0_3, no help
    > 110_68_83_75_0_0, drag and drop
    > 71_65_77_69_0_0, game top ten winner
    > 83_79_76_73_0_0, solitaire out of time
    > 83_79_76_73_0_1, solitaire game won
    > 67_87_82_68_0_0, crossword check ok
    > }
    > 85_73_48_48_0_0 = sy001.wav
    > 85_73_48_48_0_1 = sy002.wav
    > 85_73_48_48_0_2 = sy010.wav
    > 85_73_48_48_0_3 = sy010.wav
    > 110_68_83_75_0_0 = move.wav
    > 71_65_77_69_0_0 = ga001.wav
    > 83_79_76_73_0_0 = ga003.wav
    > 83_79_76_73_0_1 = ga002.wav
    > 67_87_82_68_0_0 = cw001.wav
    >
    > [PCtrl]
    > FS = {
    > .newdealinc.com
    > .newdeal.org
    > .greenpc.com
    > }
    >
    > [HTMLView]
    > home = http://www.mygreenpc.com
    > searchURL1 = http://www.google.com/
    > searchURL2 = http://www.excite.com/peoplefinder/
    > searchURL3 = http://yellowpages.excite.com/bus/
    > searchURL4 = http://www.excite.com/search/news/
    > mimeDrivers = {
    > Graphics Import Library,image/gif,GIF
    > Graphics Import Library,image/jpeg,JPG
    > Document Import Library,application/pdf,PDF
    > Document Import Library,audio/x-wav,WAV
    > Document Import Library,application/crossword,CWD
    > }
    > URL Drivers = {
    > Geos 3.0 External URL Driver,mailto
    > Geos 3.0 External URL Driver,mailread
    > Geos 3.0 External URL Driver,chat
    > Geos 3.0 FTP URL Driver,FTP
    > Geos 3.0 HTTP URL Driver,HTTP
    > Geos 3.0 HTTP URL Driver,HTTPS
    > }
    > weakCacheExpiration = true
    > altSrcCacheHosts = www.mygreenpc.com
    > altSrcCacheExts = jpg gif wav
    > srcCacheLimit = 8192
    > altSrcCacheLimit = 8192
    > objCacheLimit = 4096
    > altObjCacheLimit = 2048
    > memLimit = 11264
    > numConn = 1
    >
    > [socket]
    > domains = {
    > tcpip
    > tcpip_geos
    > loopback
    > }
    > driverCloseDelay = 0
    > LoadOnMsg = {
    > CDAB00000800060016000100loopback000700MBTRANS\Sock et Receive
    > CDAB00000A00060016000100tcpip_geos000700MBTRANS\So cket Receive
    > CDAB00000500060016000100irlap000700MBTRANS\Socket Receive
    > CDAB0C000500060016000100tcpip000700MBTRANS\Socket Receive

  7. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    Hi John,

    Although I also subscribed to Geos-Talk, I would do the other way round
    so that everybody could benefit from the solution (IMHO, the news are
    more open - and robust - than a mailing-list, especially when solely
    owned by one company). I think it could be worth to have the reply here
    and to have a copy of it or a reference to the post in the Geos-Talk
    mailing-list.

    Your reply was probably done in Geos-Talk before you read the same
    question in cogm.

    Philippe.

    John Howard wrote:
    > See my reply in the Geos-Talk list.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > RCantrell wrote:
    >
    >> Since I wrote the first message on this subject I have not been able
    >> to get...

    [snip]

  8. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    In article , John Howard
    writes:

    >See my reply in the Geos-Talk list.

    As yet, your Geos-Talk reply has not come through in my e-mail. But Jorge
    [edar] has sent me his GEOS.INI which he says works. I will try it today.

    Dick

  9. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    Philippe Dallemagne wrote:
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Although I also subscribed to Geos-Talk, I would do the other way round
    > so that everybody could benefit from the solution (IMHO, the news are
    > more open - and robust - than a mailing-list, especially when solely
    > owned by one company). I think it could be worth to have the reply here
    > and to have a copy of it or a reference to the post in the Geos-Talk
    > mailing-list.
    >
    > Your reply was probably done in Geos-Talk before you read the same
    > question in cogm.

    You are absolutely correct Philippe, I didn't realize Dick had dual
    posted. Here is my reply, for posterity.

    John ;-)

    Hi Dick,

    My comments interspersed with yours, but first a few questions. You
    said that both 3.2 and 4.0 had been running in XPPro on this PC, right?
    Is this a fast processor CPU - that is faster than about 1.2 MHz?

    rcantrell@aol.com wrote:

    > Since I wrote the first message on this thread I have not been able

    to get either 3.2a or 4.20 to load no matter how I tweak the GEOS.INI of
    either or the properties of the shortcut or of LOADER.

    The only ini tweaks you should make by hand are these noted in the
    NDO2000 v4.16 geos.ini file:

    [system]
    fs = ms4.geo
    ;; To run NewDeal from Windows NT,
    ;; uncomment (remove semicolons from)
    ;; the next two keys (five lines):
    ;primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    ;fs = {
    ; ntfat.geo
    ; cdrom.geo
    ;}
    drive a = 65535

    and the drive a one (in [system] to make NT/2000/XP see the floppy
    (although you get a HD icon instead of the floppy drive icon).

    > But this morning I had a brief glimmer of hope. I managed to load a

    freshly reinstlled 4.20 and got as far as the restart after choosing the
    NewDeal Advanced Desk Top. Of course when it shut down it failed [as
    expected in XP] to restart. So I restarted XP and tried again to load
    it. But with no success.

    Looking at your .ini file I see your video set to 800x600x256. From my
    experience setting up various folk's Ensemble on XP Home I think you
    need to stick with 640x480x16 (which is the default for NDO2000
    installeation). The only way I know NDO to work at any other resolution
    is to go thru the steps of adding a special .DLL and some special geos
    drivers that Steve Main put together and I uploaded to TvaKatter
    (Utilities/NDO and WinNT).

    > However the GEOS.INI now contains these lines:
    >
    > specname = NewDeal Advanced Desktop
    >
    > forceDeleteStateFilesOnceOnly = true
    >
    > I notice also that {welcome] also includes this line
    >
    > finishedSetup = true
    >
    > which is not strictly the fact
    >
    > Compatibilty is set for Windows 95 and to run in 256 colors. I

    followed John Howard's suggestion about ENSCONFIG.NT, etc, in the path
    and in the NDO2000 folder.

    How about full screen vs window? Should be full screen.

    > The properties for LOADER and for the shortcut are identical except

    that for LOADER the "Working" line is empty.

    Both should have your top NDO2000 directory as the working dir.

    > I have included, below, the entire GEOS.INI in hopes that someone can

    tell me what might be tweaked about it.

    > The more all of us can learn about running under XP the better for

    the future of NewDeal.

    I suggest another re-install after making the above changes to a fresh
    geos.ini. As mentioned in the Breadbox white paper on installing Geos
    in XP, answer NO to the config.sys and autoexec.bat installer questions.
    Then when you're in the NDO Setup process leave the screen res at the
    default and see what happens.

    > Incidentally I am using XP Professional.
    >
    > Dick

    John

  10. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    Hi, John.

    I also followed your suggestion of downloading CPUKiller from Breadbox.com, and
    it worked like a charm.

    I went ahead and used the Tva Katter NDWnNT package and installed it followoing
    the readme. However when I tried to load it via the CPUKiller bat file, it
    didn't work. Either I got a message on a black DOS screen saying it didn't
    recognize the CPUKiller command or, if it did anything it loaded a blank white
    window labelled

    NT Geo

    So I restored everything as it was before the Tva Katter NDWinNT experiment.
    And it worked again.

    At least now I can do my work in New Deal Office (4.20).

    Thanks for your great help!

    Dick

  11. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    RCantrell schrieb:

    > Hi, John.
    >
    > I also followed your suggestion of downloading CPUKiller from Breadbox.com, and
    > it worked like a charm.

    Fine

    > I went ahead and used the Tva Katter NDWnNT package and installed it followoing
    > the readme. However when I tried to load it via the CPUKiller bat file, it
    > didn't work. Either I got a message on a black DOS screen saying it didn't
    > recognize the CPUKiller command

    Then there's something wrong with your PATH settings or the command flow
    (is CPUKiller in the PATH? If not, does the batch file switch the
    current directory before executing CPUKIller?)

    > or, if it did anything it loaded a blank white
    > window labelled
    >
    > NT Geo

    This is normal for the NT package. This is the DOS box window. But there
    should a second window pop up with the actual GEOS content (a virutal NT
    application window).
    If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with your isntallation.
    Maybe you didn't clear the state files after replacing the libraries? Or
    you forgot to properly add/change the INI entry for the video driver and
    mode (this is VITAL as you cannot change the video driver without seeing
    something)

    IIRC there are four libraries to change: the GDI library, the keyboard
    driver, the video driver and the serial driver.
    I never worked with the TvaKatter package (worked with the original
    NT-install from the internal NewDeal SDK) but it should do the job. At
    least it did under NT.

    Maybe the problem with CPUKiller caused the rest to fail or crash and
    you didn't see the message because the system was between DOS window and
    virtual NT window.

    > So I restored everything as it was before the Tva Katter NDWinNT experiment.
    > And it worked again.

    There is no 20MB registry with hidden changes for each and everything.
    So restoring the four libraries and the old GEOS.INI is everything
    needed to revert the experiment.
    Luckily you don't need to reinstall everything like you had to in
    Windows.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  12. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    Thanks, Jens-Michael

    After I re-examine things on the PC [at my office] I will report.

    Dick

    In article <3F9A9132.19D8E141@grossibaer.de>, Jens-Michael Gross
    writes:

    >RCantrell schrieb:
    >>
    >> Hi, John.
    >>
    >> I also followed your suggestion of downloading CPUKiller from Breadbox.com,

    >and
    >> it worked like a charm.

    >Fine
    >
    >> I went ahead and used the Tva Katter NDWnNT package and installed it

    >followoing
    >> the readme. However when I tried to load it via the CPUKiller bat file, it
    >> didn't work. Either I got a message on a black DOS screen saying it didn't
    >> recognize the CPUKiller command

    >Then there's something wrong with your PATH settings or the command flow
    >(is CPUKiller in the PATH? If not, does the batch file switch the
    >current directory before executing CPUKIller?)
    >
    >> or, if it did anything it loaded a blank white
    >> window labelled
    >>
    >> NT Geo

    >This is normal for the NT package. This is the DOS box window. But there
    >should a second window pop up with the actual GEOS content (a virutal NT
    >application window).
    >If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with your isntallation.
    >Maybe you didn't clear the state files after replacing the libraries? Or
    >you forgot to properly add/change the INI entry for the video driver and
    >mode (this is VITAL as you cannot change the video driver without seeing
    >something)
    >
    >IIRC there are four libraries to change: the GDI library, the keyboard
    >driver, the video driver and the serial driver.
    >I never worked with the TvaKatter package (worked with the original
    >NT-install from the internal NewDeal SDK) but it should do the job. At
    >least it did under NT.
    >
    >Maybe the problem with CPUKiller caused the rest to fail or crash and
    >you didn't see the message because the system was between DOS window and
    >virtual NT window.
    >
    >> So I restored everything as it was before the Tva Katter NDWinNT

    >experiment.
    >> And it worked again.

    >There is no 20MB registry with hidden changes for each and everything.
    >So restoring the four libraries and the old GEOS.INI is everything
    >needed to revert the experiment.
    >Luckily you don't need to reinstall everything like you had to in
    >Windows.
    >
    >Grossibaer

  13. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    The instructions from Tva Katter says:

    Edit your GEOS.INI file to include these
    lines. If a key already exists, replace
    it. If the key or section does not exist,
    create it:

    [system]
    fs = ntfat.geo

    The [system] section is as prescribed by the readme file from 4.16 for XP. I
    interpret it as already having the line above. But I may be mistaken. Should I
    edit it in any way?

    [system]
    fs = ms4.geo
    ;; To run NewDeal from Windows NT,
    ;; uncomment (remove semicolons from)
    ;; the next two keys (five lines):
    primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    fs = {
    ntfat.geo
    cdrom.geo
    }
    drive a = 65535
    continueSetup = false
    handles = 3500
    version = 3.904

    drive b = 0
    fonttool =
    120216091eced001d0061602160f120c123dd0021f461e16d0 0c14011601d008d009d00ad0
    0b160616031605160410011404160b102b1fb6163714021419 16571009d007d00d10331611
    1008101714051211164ad003d022160c164cc6051006123018 011235c505120414031600d0
    051675d0041a00100012001800daef160a1613
    fontmenu =
    120216091eced001d0061602160f120c123dd0021f461e16d0 0c14011601d008d009d00ad0
    0b160616031605160410011404160b102b1fb6163714021419 16571009d007d00d10331611
    1008101714051211164ad003d022160c164cc6051006123018 011235c505120414031600d0
    051675d0041a00100012001800daef160a1613
    [setup]
    printer = false

    [screen 0]
    device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 64K-color
    driver = vga16.geo
    ; device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 256-color
    ; driver = VESA 256-color SVGA Driver
    ; device = VGA: 640x480 16-color
    ; driver = Standard VGA Driver
    bigMousePointer = false

    [mouse]
    ; info = 16384
    info = 0
    ; driver = GENMOUSE.GEO
    ; device = Windows 95 mouse support already installed
    driver = Generic Mouse Driver
    device = GDI Pointer

    [keyboard]
    device = GDI Keyboard
    driver = gdikbd.geo
    altGr = TRUED
    ; keyboardAltGr = false
    keyboardShiftRelease = true
    keyboardSwapCtrl = false
    keyboardTypematic = 40

    Here is what is in my bat file which is in C:\Program Files.

    Cpukiller /minimize /close /runfor=10 /speed=30
    c:\ndo2000\loader.exe

    Cpukiller is also in C:\Program Files.

    In article <20031028084227.11891.00001860@mb-m11.aol.com>, rcantrell@aol.com
    (RCantrell) writes:

    >Thanks, Jens-Michael
    >
    >After I re-examine things on the PC [at my office] I will report.
    >
    >Dick
    >
    >In article <3F9A9132.19D8E141@grossibaer.de>, Jens-Michael Gross
    > writes:
    >
    >>RCantrell schrieb:
    >>>
    >>> Hi, John.
    >>>
    >>> I also followed your suggestion of downloading CPUKiller from

    >Breadbox.com,
    >>and
    >>> it worked like a charm.

    >>Fine
    >>
    >>> I went ahead and used the Tva Katter NDWnNT package and installed it

    >>followoing
    >>> the readme. However when I tried to load it via the CPUKiller bat file, it
    >>> didn't work. Either I got a message on a black DOS screen saying it didn't
    >>> recognize the CPUKiller command

    >>Then there's something wrong with your PATH settings or the command flow
    >>(is CPUKiller in the PATH? If not, does the batch file switch the
    >>current directory before executing CPUKIller?)
    >>
    >>> or, if it did anything it loaded a blank white
    >>> window labelled
    >>>
    >>> NT Geo

    >>This is normal for the NT package. This is the DOS box window. But there
    >>should a second window pop up with the actual GEOS content (a virutal NT
    >>application window).
    >>If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with your isntallation.
    >>Maybe you didn't clear the state files after replacing the libraries? Or
    >>you forgot to properly add/change the INI entry for the video driver and
    >>mode (this is VITAL as you cannot change the video driver without seeing
    >>something)
    >>
    >>IIRC there are four libraries to change: the GDI library, the keyboard
    >>driver, the video driver and the serial driver.
    >>I never worked with the TvaKatter package (worked with the original
    >>NT-install from the internal NewDeal SDK) but it should do the job. At
    >>least it did under NT.
    >>
    >>Maybe the problem with CPUKiller caused the rest to fail or crash and
    >>you didn't see the message because the system was between DOS window and
    >>virtual NT window.
    >>
    >>> So I restored everything as it was before the Tva Katter NDWinNT

    >>experiment.
    >>> And it worked again.

    >>There is no 20MB registry with hidden changes for each and everything.
    >>So restoring the four libraries and the old GEOS.INI is everything
    >>needed to revert the experiment.
    >>Luckily you don't need to reinstall everything like you had to in
    >>Windows.
    >>
    >>Grossibaer

  14. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    I should also have said that after I have rechecked everything, what happens is
    for a very brief instant a DOS window opens which is labeled New Deal Office
    2000 [the name of the shortcut], but that is all.

    Incidentally, the program tab\advanced of LOADER.EXE automatically inserted the
    lines C:\ndo2000\ensautoexec.nt and C:\ndo2000\ensconfig.nt

    I don't understand how it knew to do that. I had already deleted the standard
    LOADER.EXE before pasting in the one from Tva Katter.

    Subject: Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues
    From: RCantrell
    To: comp.os.geos.misc
    Date: 10/28/03

    (RCantrell) writes:

    >Thanks, Jens-Michael
    >
    >After I re-examine things on the PC [at my office] I will report.
    >
    >Dick
    >
    >In article <3F9A9132.19D8E141@grossibaer.de>, Jens-Michael Gross
    > writes:
    >
    >>RCantrell schrieb:
    >>>
    >>> Hi, John.
    >>>
    >>> I also followed your suggestion of downloading CPUKiller from

    >Breadbox.com,
    >>and
    >>> it worked like a charm.

    >>Fine
    >>
    >>> I went ahead and used the Tva Katter NDWnNT package and installed it

    >>followoing
    >>> the readme. However when I tried to load it via the CPUKiller bat file, it
    >>> didn't work. Either I got a message on a black DOS screen saying it didn't
    >>> recognize the CPUKiller command

    >>Then there's something wrong with your PATH settings or the command flow
    >>(is CPUKiller in the PATH? If not, does the batch file switch the
    >>current directory before executing CPUKIller?)
    >>
    >>> or, if it did anything it loaded a blank white
    >>> window labelled
    >>>
    >>> NT Geo

    >>This is normal for the NT package. This is the DOS box window. But there
    >>should a second window pop up with the actual GEOS content (a virutal NT
    >>application window).
    >>If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with your isntallation.
    >>Maybe you didn't clear the state files after replacing the libraries? Or
    >>you forgot to properly add/change the INI entry for the video driver and
    >>mode (this is VITAL as you cannot change the video driver without seeing
    >>something)
    >>
    >>IIRC there are four libraries to change: the GDI library, the keyboard
    >>driver, the video driver and the serial driver.
    >>I never worked with the TvaKatter package (worked with the original
    >>NT-install from the internal NewDeal SDK) but it should do the job. At
    >>least it did under NT.
    >>
    >>Maybe the problem with CPUKiller caused the rest to fail or crash and
    >>you didn't see the message because the system was between DOS window and
    >>virtual NT window.
    >>
    >>> So I restored everything as it was before the Tva Katter NDWinNT

    >>experiment.
    >>> And it worked again.

    >>There is no 20MB registry with hidden changes for each and everything.
    >>So restoring the four libraries and the old GEOS.INI is everything
    >>needed to revert the experiment.
    >>Luckily you don't need to reinstall everything like you had to in
    >>Windows.
    >>
    >>Grossibaer

  15. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    RCantrell schrieb:

    > I should also have said that after I have rechecked everything, what happens is
    > for a very brief instant a DOS window opens which is labeled New Deal Office
    > 2000 [the name of the shortcut], but that is all.

    You should start NDO with the /log parameter.
    In the DOS window (uncheck the 'close on exit' option in the program
    properties so you can see the output) it should print the file system
    drivers when being loaded, and put a list of all other drivers andor
    problems in privdata/geos.log. This might help.

    > Incidentally, the program tab\advanced of LOADER.EXE automatically inserted the
    > lines C:\ndo2000\ensautoexec.nt and C:\ndo2000\ensconfig.nt
    >
    > I don't understand how it knew to do that. I had already deleted the standard
    > LOADER.EXE before pasting in the one from Tva Katter.

    The properties (with this entry) are stored in the LOADER.PIF file since
    there is no storage space for program options in an exe file.
    If you start a DOS program, Windows looks for a PIF file with the same
    name and gets the launch options from there.

    > [system]
    > fs = ms4.geo
    > ;; To run NewDeal from Windows NT,
    > ;; uncomment (remove semicolons from)
    > ;; the next two keys (five lines):
    > primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    > fs = {
    > ntfat.geo
    > cdrom.geo
    > }

    This should probably read

    primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    fs = {
    ntfat.geo
    ms4.geo
    cdrom.geo
    }

    as only the first 'fs' key is being used.

    But since it works without the NT window files and the NT window
    mechanism does not affect the file system at all, everything should be
    well as it is right now.

    > [screen 0]
    > device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 64K-color
    > driver = vga16.geo
    > ; device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 256-color
    > ; driver = VESA 256-color SVGA Driver
    > ; device = VGA: 640x480 16-color
    > ; driver = Standard VGA Driver
    > bigMousePointer = false

    vga16.geo was one of the replaced files I think.
    Well, you should have your NT screen in 64K color mode (16bit color
    depth) and nothing else. And it should be at least a 1024x768 screen as
    teh 800x600 window has an additional border

    > Here is what is in my bat file which is in C:\Program Files.
    >
    > Cpukiller /minimize /close /runfor=10 /speed=30
    > c:\ndo2000\loader.exe
    >
    > Cpukiller is also in C:\Program Files.

    Problem is, that NT takes the properties of the batch file to start the
    virtual DOS window. This skips loading the ensconfig.nt and
    ensautoexec.nt.

    You should create your batch file in the GEOS folder, loading
    'c:\Program Files\Cpukiller' first, and set the properties of the batch
    file (and/or the link) to match the ones of loader.exe

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  16. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    Thanks, Grossibaer.

    Actually I got it working today in 800x600 at 64K-colors by tweaking the batch
    file.

    However I will review what you recommend, and I may do it your way.

    When the dust settles, I plan to make a complete report of what I have done.

    Dick

    In article <3F9FED7A.631F4F0A@grossibaer.de>, Jens-Michael Gross
    writes:

> [...]

    >> ; driver = Standard VGA Driver
    >> bigMousePointer = false

    >vga16.geo was one of the replaced files I think.
    >Well, you should have your NT screen in 64K color mode (16bit color
    >depth) and nothing else. And it should be at least a 1024x768 screen as
    >teh 800x600 window has an additional border
    >
    >> Here is what is in my bat file which is in C:\Program Files.
    >>
    >> Cpukiller /minimize /close /runfor=10 /speed=30
    >> c:\ndo2000\loader.exe
    >>
    >> Cpukiller is also in C:\Program Files.

    >Problem is, that NT takes the properties of the batch file to start the
    >virtual DOS window. This skips loading the ensconfig.nt and
    >ensautoexec.nt.
    >
    >You should create your batch file in the GEOS folder, loading
    >'c:\Program Files\Cpukiller' first, and set the properties of the batch
    >file (and/or the link) to match the ones of loader.exe

  17. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    In article <20031029203239.11891.00001945@mb-m11.aol.com>, rcantrell@aol.com
    (RCantrell) writes:

    >Thanks, Grossibaer.
    >
    >Actually I got it working today in 800x600 at 64K-colors by tweaking the
    >batch
    >file.

    I spoke too soon. The batch file only works sometimes.

    >However I will review what you recommend, and I may do it your way.
    >
    >When the dust settles, I plan to make a complete report of what I have done.

    I also decided that 800x600 in a window is just too small. But on the other
    hand 600x480 is too big and the row of drive icons at the bottom wraps to
    another row.

    I wanted to run 800x600 full screen, and 256 colors would be fine. And I have
    solved the way to do it. Here is how:

    I replaced System, GEOS.INI, and LODER.EXE with the versions without the Tva
    Katter modifications.

    I modified the [system] section of GEOS.INI to conform to Grossibaer's
    suggestion (see below).

    I modified the [screen] section of GEOS.INI to run at 800x600, 256-colors.

    I made a conventional shortcut to LOADER.EXE which has all the settings for NT.

    I set the desktop back to 800x600, 16 bit medium.

    To start NDO2000 [v. 2.40]:

    I loaded Cpukiller manually and set it to run at 60%. Then I started it and
    minimized it.

    Next I double clicked on the loader shortcut. As soon as it opened I minimized
    it.

    Then I restored Cpukiller to full size, clicked on the stop button, and closed
    Cpukiller.

    I restored NDO2000 to full size and it runs normally at 800x600, 256-colors.

    Now I should be able to do all that with a batch file, but so far it doesn't
    quite work. Maybe the parameters I set in Cpukiller are not quite right. Or
    maybe there is a flaw in my batch file syntax. Or maybe it is something else.

    Cpukiller is in C:\Program Files. NDO and thus Loader.exe is in C:\NDO2000. The
    name of the batch file is NewDeal2000. My Cpu is a Pentium 4 running at 1.5
    Mhz.

    Could someone who knows how do me the favor of writing the entire correct batch
    file and tell me where to stick it :>) ?

    Otherwise I will just keep doing it this inelegant way.

    Thanks,

    Dick

    >In article <3F9FED7A.631F4F0A@grossibaer.de>, Jens-Michael Gross
    > writes:
    >

    >>RCantrell schrieb:
    >>>
    >>> I should also have said that after I have rechecked everything, what

    >>happens is
    >>> for a very brief instant a DOS window opens which is labeled New Deal

    >>Office
    >>> 2000 [the name of the shortcut], but that is all.

    >>You should start NDO with the /log parameter.
    >>In the DOS window (uncheck the 'close on exit' option in the program
    >>properties so you can see the output) it should print the file system
    >>drivers when being loaded, and put a list of all other drivers andor
    >>problems in privdata/geos.log. This might help.
    >>
    >>> Incidentally, the program tab\advanced of LOADER.EXE automatically

    >inserted
    >>the
    >>> lines C:\ndo2000\ensautoexec.nt and C:\ndo2000\ensconfig.nt
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand how it knew to do that. I had already deleted the

    >>standard
    >>> LOADER.EXE before pasting in the one from Tva Katter.

    >>The properties (with this entry) are stored in the LOADER.PIF file since
    >>there is no storage space for program options in an exe file.
    >>If you start a DOS program, Windows looks for a PIF file with the same
    >>name and gets the launch options from there.
    >>

    >>> [system]
    >>> fs = ms4.geo
    >>> ;; To run NewDeal from Windows NT,
    >>> ;; uncomment (remove semicolons from)
    >>> ;; the next two keys (five lines):
    >>> primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    >>> fs = {
    >>> ntfat.geo
    >>> cdrom.geo
    >>> }

    >>This should probably read
    >>
    >> primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    >> fs = {
    >> ntfat.geo
    >> ms4.geo
    >> cdrom.geo
    >> }
    >>
    >>as only the first 'fs' key is being used.
    >>
    >>But since it works without the NT window files and the NT window
    >>mechanism does not affect the file system at all, everything should be
    >>well as it is right now.
    >>
    >>> [screen 0]
    >>> device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 64K-color
    >>> driver = vga16.geo
    >>> ; device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 256-color
    >>> ; driver = VESA 256-color SVGA Driver
    >>> ; device = VGA: 640x480 16-color
    >>> ; driver = Standard VGA Driver
    >>> bigMousePointer = false

    >>vga16.geo was one of the replaced files I think.
    >>Well, you should have your NT screen in 64K color mode (16bit color
    >>depth) and nothing else. And it should be at least a 1024x768 screen as
    >>teh 800x600 window has an additional border
    >>
    >>> Here is what is in my bat file which is in C:\Program Files.
    >>>
    >>> Cpukiller /minimize /close /runfor=10 /speed=30
    >>> c:\ndo2000\loader.exe
    >>>
    >>> Cpukiller is also in C:\Program Files.

    >>Problem is, that NT takes the properties of the batch file to start the
    >>virtual DOS window. This skips loading the ensconfig.nt and
    >>ensautoexec.nt.
    >>
    >>You should create your batch file in the GEOS folder, loading
    >>'c:\Program Files\Cpukiller' first, and set the properties of the batch
    >>file (and/or the link) to match the ones of loader.exe
    >>
    >>Grossibaer

  18. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    I sent this reply to the entire group on Friday, but as of this morning it has
    not come back to me. I wonder if anyone else has received it. So here it is
    again.

    (RCantrell) writes:

> [...]

    >>In the DOS window (uncheck the 'close on exit' option in the program
    >>properties so you can see the output) it should print the file system
    >>drivers when being loaded, and put a list of all other drivers andor
    >>problems in privdata/geos.log. This might help.
    >>
    >>> Incidentally, the program tab\advanced of LOADER.EXE automatically

    >inserted
    >>the
    >>> lines C:\ndo2000\ensautoexec.nt and C:\ndo2000\ensconfig.nt
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand how it knew to do that. I had already deleted the

    >>standard
    >>> LOADER.EXE before pasting in the one from Tva Katter.

    >>The properties (with this entry) are stored in the LOADER.PIF file since
    >>there is no storage space for program options in an exe file.
    >>If you start a DOS program, Windows looks for a PIF file with the same
    >>name and gets the launch options from there.

    >>> fs = {
    >>> ntfat.geo
    >>> cdrom.geo
    >>> }

    >>This should probably read
    >>
    >> primaryFSD = ntfat.geo
    >> fs = {
    >> ntfat.geo
    >> ms4.geo
    >> cdrom.geo
    >> }
    >>
    >>as only the first 'fs' key is being used.
    >>
    >>But since it works without the NT window files and the NT window
    >>mechanism does not affect the file system at all, everything should be
    >>well as it is right now.
    >>
    >>> [screen 0]
    >>> device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 64K-color
    >>> driver = vga16.geo
    >>> ; device = VESA Compatible SuperVGA: 800x600 256-color
    >>> ; driver = VESA 256-color SVGA Driver
    >>> ; device = VGA: 640x480 16-color
    >>> ; driver = Standard VGA Driver
    >>> bigMousePointer = false

    >>vga16.geo was one of the replaced files I think.
    >>Well, you should have your NT screen in 64K color mode (16bit color
    >>depth) and nothing else. And it should be at least a 1024x768 screen as
    >>teh 800x600 window has an additional border
    >>
    >>> Here is what is in my bat file which is in C:\Program Files.
    >>>
    >>> Cpukiller /minimize /close /runfor=10 /speed=30
    >>> c:\ndo2000\loader.exe
    >>>
    >>> Cpukiller is also in C:\Program Files.

    >>Problem is, that NT takes the properties of the batch file to start the
    >>virtual DOS window. This skips loading the ensconfig.nt and
    >>ensautoexec.nt.
    >>
    >>You should create your batch file in the GEOS folder, loading
    >>'c:\Program Files\Cpukiller' first, and set the properties of the batch
    >>file (and/or the link) to match the ones of loader.exe
    >>
    >>Grossibaer

  19. Re: Ensemble & XP, the saga continues

    Hi RC,

    It arrived here 10/31/2003 and also today. :-)

    Edward

+ Reply to Thread