Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines - GEOS

This is a discussion on Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines - GEOS ; I found a website that I can download 91 thru 93 Geowoeks magazines in zip format. But when I unzip them, one is .001 and another is .007 extensions. I have the old Geoworks Ensemble 2.0. What can I use ...

  1. Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    I found a website that I can download 91 thru 93 Geowoeks magazines in
    zip format. But when I unzip them, one is .001 and another is .007
    extensions. I have the old Geoworks Ensemble 2.0. What can I use to
    read these files. I tried Word and Wordpad, no luck.

    Thanks,

    Mike Murch
    Dallas TX

  2. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    Hi Mike,

    Fire up Ensemble 2.0 and read the zines with GeoWrite.

    John ;-)

    M Murch wrote:

    > I found a website that I can download 91 thru 93 Geowoeks magazines in
    > zip format. But when I unzip them, one is .001 and another is .007
    > extensions. I have the old Geoworks Ensemble 2.0. What can I use to
    > read these files. I tried Word and Wordpad, no luck.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike Murch
    > Dallas TX

  3. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    "John Howard" wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Fire up Ensemble 2.0 and read the zines with GeoWrite.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > M Murch wrote:
    >
    > > I found a website that I can download 91 thru 93 Geowoeks magazines in
    > > zip format. But when I unzip them, one is .001 and another is .007
    > > extensions. I have the old Geoworks Ensemble 2.0. What can I use to
    > > read these files. I tried Word and Wordpad, no luck.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike Murch
    > > Dallas TX

    Hi Mike,

    Just in case they maybe older files (Geoworks Ensemble 1.x);
    you will need to highlight the file icon "first" and use the upgrade older
    file
    utility "secondly" from GeoManager; before you can open it with GeoWrite.

    Regards,

    Byron Collins
    List Moderator, Geos-Talk E-list
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/geos-talk

  4. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    M Murch schrieb:

    > I found a website that I can download 91 thru 93 Geowoeks magazines in
    > zip format. But when I unzip them, one is .001 and another is .007
    > extensions. I have the old Geoworks Ensemble 2.0. What can I use to
    > read these files. I tried Word and Wordpad, no luck.

    Files with '00x' extensions are usually GEOS application data files
    (sometimes, windows backup files also have this 'numbering', but we are
    talking about magazines here, this isn't an option).
    You can open these files from withing Geoworks Ensemble from the
    geoManager. If they are files with file version 2.0, you'll see an icon
    of the corresponding application and if you double-click them, the right
    application will fire up and display them.
    If you see the 'generic GEOS file' icon instead, these files are 1.x
    file format and need conversion.

    To do so, select the files with a single click, then start the '1.x file
    conversion' utility in the 'tools' menu of geoManager. After this, the
    files should appear with the correct icon and you should be able to
    start them (in this case, the application will convert the content
    automatically on first opening the file).

    Note that the files will no longer work with Ensemble 1.x after
    convertign them (obviously).

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  5. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    mgmurch@yahoo.com wrote in message

    > I found a website that I can download 91 thru 93 Geowoeks magazines in
    > zip format.

    If you check on

    http://www.tvakatter.org/

    you will find around thirty Geobytes magazines (1991-96), plus nearly
    forty Snail's Pace plus a number of Sage News, Page Ones and Table
    Tops. There are also a smattering of stuff like Tings Tips which are
    worth looking at.

    Check Två Katter in the download section under Newsletters and also in
    the Documents area.

    All the newsletters have been converted to work with GeoWrite 2.0 or
    later (including New Deal Office NewWrite or Breadbox/ND Writer).

    Cheers,

    Tim

  6. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    Tim,

    That is where I found the newsletters. I fired up the Geos 2.01 last
    night and could read several just by clicking on them. The exception
    was the early ones that expected Geos 1.2 but the error message
    correctly suggested (as did someone in this ng) that I use the Utility
    to upgrade the file. I did and it worked great.

    I was looking for tips and tricks and I found a few that were new to
    me. It did include a lot of carping about Windows but I expect that.

    (Off Topic)
    It sure seems to me that technology moves so rapidly that each era was
    never fully developed? I can see why Turbo Tax does not provide a
    Geos version because it updates at the last minute every year. While
    there are applications for checkbooks and fixed assets and office
    suites, where is the Geos based (not DOS) virus checker or cd-burner?

    Being a developer of Clipper and Foxpro apps, I remember when IBM PCs
    first came out. The numbers reached 100,000 and we could not believe
    how big a market that was. That was good enough to generate about 50
    decent word processors! Surely there are several thousand machines
    that fire up GEOS routinely. Forget whether or not it is better than
    or is worse than Windows. The fact is that people still use it and it
    represents a market. It just seems like there out to be more shareware
    (best market tool for Geos apps IMO) than I have found. Is it because
    Geos can run DOS apps too?

    Personally, when Geos came out was about the time I was using Q&A for
    DOS and recommending it for my mom and others like her. I bought a
    copy from Surplus Software for $19 and loved it (it lets me win at
    Poker - you know "the boss ain't gonna like it").

    I am going to downgrade the PC that I run Geos 2 back to Dr-DOS 6.0.
    It is PC DOS 7.0 now and lacks a compatable taskswitcher.

    Thanks for the help getting me started!

    Mike

  7. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    mgmurch@yahoo.com (M Murch) wrote in message

    > I fired up the Geos 2.01 last night and could read several
    > [newsletters off www.tvakatter.org]
    > just by clicking on them. The exception was the early
    > ones that expected Geos 1.2 but the error message correctly
    > suggested (as did someone in this ng) that I use the Utility
    > to upgrade the file. I did and it worked great.

    Odd. I uploaded most of the GeoBytes there and there shouldn't have
    been any that required upgrading. I upgraded them and re-saved them
    before uploading, I thought. Oh well ...

    > I was looking for tips and tricks and I found a few that were new to
    > me. It did include a lot of carping about Windows but I expect that.

    [shrug] Probably up until the release of Win95, there were sufficient
    differences in the way that GEOS and Windows behaved that distinctions
    could be drawn (and were, loudly). Win95 adopted a lot of the features
    that, until then, had made GEOS more useful in some respects (eg long
    filenames, recognising ownership of data files etc). After that it
    became largely a matter of whether you had the horsepower to run
    Windows and whether the programs in Ensemble/New Deal Office worked
    better or not. Some still prefer GeoWrite/NewWrite/Writer to other
    word processors, for example.

    Horses for courses ....

    > While there are applications for checkbooks and fixed assets and office
    > suites, where is the Geos based (not DOS) virus checker or cd-burner?

    Time, money, programming resources - the usual suspects.

    Basically, the guys that *can* do it are busy doing something else for
    a living.

    > Being a developer of Clipper and Foxpro apps, I remember when IBM PCs
    > first came out. The numbers reached 100,000 and we could not believe
    > how big a market that was. That was good enough to generate about 50
    > decent word processors!

    Well, there may have been fifty word processors, but decent ... ???

    A lot of products were there because we didn't have any idea of what
    to expect from a good interface and good programming. How did
    MultiMate survive when you couldn't see/run text across a page break??
    I loved Word Perfect, but it took five minutes working with
    Publish-It! to realise that paragraph tagging beat the tar out of
    hidden code-based on/off switches. And Word for DOS's "Alpha" and
    "Gallery" menu commands - what the hell was that about??

    > Surely there are several thousand machines
    > that fire up GEOS routinely. Forget whether or not it is better than
    > or is worse than Windows. The fact is that people still use it and it
    > represents a market. It just seems like there out [ought?] to be
    > more shareware (best market tool for Geos apps IMO) than I have found.

    GEOS apps are hard to write. There is a steep learning curve,
    basically. Sadly too, since the collapse of New Deal and MyTurn around
    the start of 2001, most of the third party programmers seem to have
    left GEOS too (with the exception of Rainer Bettstellar).

    Also sad because it's never been easier to access the tools to do the
    programming. The GEOS SDK and documentation (plus Borland C) are both
    available off Två Katter, as is NewBASIC and IZL (the Basic-like
    scripted Interpreted Zoomer Language).

    > I am going to downgrade the PC that I run Geos 2 back to Dr-DOS 6.0.
    > It is PC DOS 7.0 now and lacks a compatable taskswitcher.

    LOL - Back to the future! (Actually DR-DOS, for the time, was pretty
    cool. And the task switcher and how it hooked into Ensemble was also
    quite impressive.)

    > Thanks for the help getting me started!

    No sweat. Glad to be of service.

    Tim

  8. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    M Murch schrieb:

    > While
    > there are applications for checkbooks and fixed assets and office
    > suites, where is the Geos based (not DOS) virus checker or cd-burner?

    Well, there isn't a single GEOS virus out there. I think it is the only
    OS that is 100% virus free.
    And there are enough DOS or WIndoze virus checkers available so you can
    use these if you want to check the underlying DOS or Windoze.
    As for CD burner software - this is a difficult thing. CD writers
    (almost as much as scanners) do have a common connection protocol (ASPI
    for SCSI-devices and ATAPI for IDE drives), but a proprietary protocol
    for the burning process. So more or less each of them needs its own
    driver. Even older windows writer programs do not support the newer
    devices.
    And under GEOS, no manufacturer will provide a driver or (as I had to
    learn when writing the scaanner program) even the programming
    information.

    If you have an old SCSI-based 2x or 4x writer, there is a DOS program
    suite called DAO (Disc At Once) from Goldenhawk. It can create ISO
    images and read and write ISO images or audio tracks.
    I still use it for creating audio CDs, as it offers me much more
    features (like index points, defineable track spacing and much more)
    than any of the common windows programs. And I still have a Philips 2x
    SCSI writer in one computer that produces audio CDs that will run on a
    HiFi player without problems.

    > Forget whether or not it is better than
    > or is worse than Windows. The fact is that people still use it and it
    > represents a market.

    Well, most people do not pay for shareware. Either they use it without
    paying for it, or they refuse to use it (if the shareware is limited in
    some way). Taking the effort for writing a GEOS program into account, it
    does not pay.

    > I am going to downgrade the PC that I run Geos 2 back to Dr-DOS 6.0.
    > It is PC DOS 7.0 now and lacks a compatable taskswitcher.

    Indeed, DR-Dos 6 has not only a compatible task switcher (DR-Dos 7.x has
    a compatible one too), but the 6.0 taskswitcher also supports the GEOS
    clipboard (text screen captures of DOS screens are entered into GEOS
    clipboard, and text contents of GEOS clipboard are entered into DOS apps
    as keyboard input). I still use this feature from time to time.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  9. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    Grossibaer,

    > As for CD burner software - this is a difficult thing. CD writers
    > (almost as much as scanners) do have a common connection protocol (ASPI
    > for SCSI-devices and ATAPI for IDE drives), but a proprietary protocol
    > for the burning process. So more or less each of them needs its own
    > driver.

    You know what I WANT to do, use drag and drop in Geos for the cdr's.

    > If you have an old SCSI-based 2x or 4x writer,

    I have been shopping the used computer and thrift shops for a couple
    of these. Not easy to find around Dallas. One dealer had a 1542 scsi
    card and wanted $100 US for it. It sold for $149 new! But I just
    never see the SCSI CDR except on ebay and I worry that shipping would
    break them. Some were very brittle.

    > Well, most people do not pay for shareware. Either they use it without
    > paying for it, or they refuse to use it (if the shareware is limited in
    > some way). Taking the effort for writing a GEOS program into account, it
    > does not pay.

    This is probably true but I had very good luck when I sold shareware.
    I built a Datacad plotter driver that printed via parallel port
    instead of serial. That was in the late 1980's but I received
    registrations. Several asked me to do custom work. I posted it to the
    Compuserve forum for Datacad.

  10. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    In message <7ed00a8.0310150913.7fe20214@posting.google.com>, M Murch wrote:

    > I have been shopping the used computer and thrift shops for a couple
    > of these. Not easy to find around Dallas. One dealer had a 1542 scsi
    > card and wanted $100 US for it. It sold for $149 new! But I just
    > never see the SCSI CDR except on ebay and I worry that shipping would
    > break them. Some were very brittle.

    An Adaptec 2906 is an older PCI SCSI card, that can be had for very little. I
    have seen them for around $10 in swap lists etc. The bit faster 2930 also sells
    very reasonably typically around $25. I have used a Yamaha 8424S for a number
    of years. It works very well. I have seen these units either external or
    internal selling for around $25.

    bill

  11. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    > An Adaptec 2906 is an older PCI SCSI card, that can be had for very little. I
    > have seen them for around $10 in swap lists etc. The bit faster 2930 also sells
    > very reasonably typically around $25. I have used a Yamaha 8424S for a number
    > of years. It works very well. I have seen these units either external or
    > internal selling for around $25.

    Bill,

    I remember when the 2900 series came out and it much later than the
    1542 and 1522. As you mentioned, it is PCI and I would have expected
    it to sell for more. Where are you getting them from. Ebay? I don't
    know what a swap list is.

    Mike

  12. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    M Murch schrieb:

    > Grossibaer,
    >
    > > As for CD burner software - this is a difficult thing. CD writers
    > > (almost as much as scanners) do have a common connection protocol (ASPI
    > > for SCSI-devices and ATAPI for IDE drives), but a proprietary protocol
    > > for the burning process. So more or less each of them needs its own
    > > driver.

    > You know what I WANT to do, use drag and drop in Geos for the cdr's.

    Well, someone wrote a program for DOS that allows assemblibng audio CDs
    with index points (recognizing the markers you can set in CoolEdit),
    track gaps and other features offered by DAO from Goldenhawk.
    For Data CDs, there is no such program for DOS, but it should be
    possible to set up a little program (or even batch file) to control the
    commandline-based IDO image generate in the Goldenhawk package.

    > > If you have an old SCSI-based 2x or 4x writer,

    > I have been shopping the used computer and thrift shops for a couple
    > of these. Not easy to find around Dallas. One dealer had a 1542 scsi
    > card and wanted $100 US for it. It sold for $149 new! But I just
    > never see the SCSI CDR except on ebay and I worry that shipping would
    > break them. Some were very brittle.

    Most SCSI scanners did come with cheap ISA SCSI cards like the 1504(?).
    I use my CD drive, CD writer and scanner on such a card. It's already
    fast enough so you don't need a PCI card. Of course you'll need a board
    which still has an ISA slot
    Maybe you can get one including the card for less

    > > Well, most people do not pay for shareware.

    [...]
    > This is probably true but I had very good luck when I sold shareware.
    > I built a Datacad plotter driver that printed via parallel port
    > instead of serial. That was in the late 1980's but I received
    > registrations. Several asked me to do custom work. I posted it to the
    > Compuserve forum for Datacad.

    Well, in the late 80's chances have been better to get some money with
    shareware.
    I sold some copies of my shareware programs too these times. but not too
    many.

    If you do not write somethin that is 1) Microsoft compatible, 2) not
    already written or at least announced by Microsoft and 3)interesting for
    companies, then you have no chance. (it's only companies who regularly
    pay for software these times).
    And even if you have such a program, you'll still need to advertise it
    to find your customers. And it's difficult the get the attention of
    companies. Unless you are large enough.

    Well, if Breadbox would set up a shareware registration service, so you
    can buy and register shareware there instead of contacting a different
    person for each shareware program (with all the problems setting up the
    payment, the risk and whatever), then perhaps things would pay a little
    bit.

    Well, if there is real interest, I would set up such a registration
    center myself.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  13. Re: Geowks Ens. 2 cant read download magazines

    In message <7ed00a8.0310160603.1244db8c@posting.google.com>, M Murch wrote:
    > Bill,
    >
    > I remember when the 2900 series came out and it much later than the
    > 1542 and 1522. As you mentioned, it is PCI and I would have expected
    > it to sell for more. Where are you getting them from. Ebay? I don't
    > know what a swap list is.
    >
    > Mike

    My main platform is a Mac and the prices I site are from Mac sources. I would
    suggest the following sites for good listings of SCSI cards and SCSI
    peripherals.
    older peripherals and cards
    probably just PCI SCSI cards.
    probably just PCI SCSI cards

    There is a swap email digest ran through LowendMac that is
    a kind of online swap meet. You can subscribe to the digest through the web
    site. There is also a Mac parts swap list running as a Yahoo group that has a
    lot of parts listed. You can contact me off list if you wish any further info
    on the lists, or would like me to inquire and forward responces on to you.

    Generally SCSI peripherals are pretty platform agnostic, my Yahama drive came
    with both Mac and Windows software. I know the 2906 and 2930 cards from the
    older Macs are also just a generic SCSI PCI card and software for Intel
    hardware is available from the manufacturer.

+ Reply to Thread