Everyone silent? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Everyone silent? - GEOS ; In Jens-Michael Gross wrote: > Argh! > > I can still not receive Hans' postings > > Grossibaer I can see that Hans has posted a message, however I always get an error when I try to open the message. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Everyone silent?

    In <3F7D6006.6A7448EE@grossibaer.de> Jens-Michael Gross wrote:
    > Argh!
    >
    > I can still not receive Hans' postings
    >
    > Grossibaer

    I can see that Hans has posted a message, however I always get an error
    when I try to open the message. It ends up I get some of the headers,
    but the message body never appears.

    I had this problem in the past and the problem seemed to be that the
    probem messages did not contain a specific "content-type" in the header
    and I guess my newreader did not know what to do with it.

    I am not sure whether the application sending the message does not
    include that information, or whether the server is stripping that
    information out.

    So anyway Hans I am seeing messages from you but I can not read them.

    bill

  2. Re: Everyone silent?

    Hi Grossibaer,
    Can you see this?

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2003-10-03 13:39, Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

    >Holger Laux schrieb:

    >>>Nope, no news is good news......
    >>>

    >>Oh? Do you know something I don't know? :-)
    >>
    >>Holger
    >>

    >Argh!
    >
    >I can still not receive Hans' postings
    >
    >Grossibaer

  3. Re: Everyone silent?

    Finally I can see you Hans,
    Welcome back,

    Edward Nijs

    "Hans Lindgren" schreef in bericht
    Hi Grossibaer,
    Can you see this?

    BR,
    Hans

    wrote:

    Well, as they say: "No news is ... just no news."

    Nope, no news is good news......

    Oh? Do you know something I don't know? :-)

    Holger

    Argh!

    I can still not receive Hans' postings

    Grossibaer

  4. Re: Everyone silent?

    > Hans Lindgren schrieb:
    >
    > Hi Grossibaer,
    > Can you see this?

    Well, it looks strange (all in a white rectangle, with blue vertical
    lines where you quoted, as if posted with standard OE (while the headers
    say it is Mozilla), but yes, I got this message.
    Nice to read you again

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  5. Re: Everyone silent?

    Philippe Dallemagne schrieb:

    > AFAIK, the reason was more subtil :
    > - Italy gets a big share of its electricity from France, but not from a
    > single cable. Electricity national networks are interconnected and
    > Switzerland is one major interconnection point.
    > - one of the main swiss cable (400 kV, IIRC) stopped. The trafic has
    > been transferred to other main cables, some of which are across the
    > border between France and Italy.
    > - due to lightning strike, one of the above main cable stopped for a few
    > seconds (security procedure).
    > - a few seconds were enough to activate security fuses in Italy, which
    > put in the dark some parts of it.
    > - it then took a few hours to restart the network (procedures are a bit
    > complicated here, where security is not a joke).

    Well, of course it is a was a bit more complex.

    Main poblem is, that people tend to not switch their devices off when
    there is a blackout (or can't, if they are not at home).
    So all these devices are still connected and make it very difficult to
    resume powering the lines.
    Each device usually consumes way more in the moment of switching on than
    during normal usage, so there is a power peak that will greatly exceed
    the available power and the maximum allowed load even in an end branch.
    So sometimes it might be necessary to switch off all the links on the
    transformers and reinitiate them manually one by one.

    At least this is easier in USA, where the system cuts off some areas on
    regular basis to compensate the high electricity usage that cannot be
    satisfied. I heard in some areas the 'brownouts' appear intentionally
    and time-controlled. Never heard about this in Germany. And even
    blackouts are very very rare.

    Grossibaer