Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms - GEOS

This is a discussion on Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms - GEOS ; Lets all applaud Microsoft for doing the right thing and helping to stop smut merchants, and worse. God knows how often Microsoft gets bad mouthed by loopy detractors with nothing better to do than be mean spirited. Its time to ...

  1. Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    Lets all applaud Microsoft for doing the right thing and helping to stop
    smut merchants, and worse. God knows how often Microsoft gets bad mouthed by
    loopy detractors with nothing better to do than be mean spirited. Its time
    to be fair and say "Good job, Microsoft". Perhaps AOL will follow their lead
    and ameliorate their "out of control" chat rooms where pedophiles and smut
    dealers hang out.

    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-508...ag=zdnnfd.main

  2. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    "Pat" schreef in bericht
    > Lets all applaud Microsoft for doing the right thing and helping to stop
    > smut merchants, and worse. God knows how often Microsoft gets bad mouthed

    by
    > loopy detractors with nothing better to do than be mean spirited. Its time
    > to be fair and say "Good job, Microsoft". Perhaps AOL will follow their

    lead
    > and ameliorate their "out of control" chat rooms where pedophiles and smut
    > dealers hang out.
    >
    > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-508...ag=zdnnfd.main

    Very wise decision,

    OTOH, I just learned how to chat with my daughter who just started at the
    university.
    IIRC it's not Messenger that's gonna be shut down, am I right?

    Edward Nijs

  3. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    Umm -- Isn't this a case of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater?" Seems
    to me it would be simpler to dis-allow "private" chatrooms on their system and
    require all remaining chatrooms to be formally moderated -- quite easy to
    kick/ban folks in those...

    Ray

    >Lets all applaud Microsoft for doing the right thing and helping to stop
    >smut merchants, and worse. God knows how often Microsoft gets bad mouthed by
    >loopy detractors with nothing better to do than be mean spirited. Its time
    >to be fair and say "Good job, Microsoft". Perhaps AOL will follow their lead
    >and ameliorate their "out of control" chat rooms where pedophiles and smut
    >dealers hang out.
    >
    >http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-508...ag=zdnnfd.main

  4. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    "Edward" wrote in message

    > OTOH, I just learned how to chat with my daughter who just started at

    the
    > university.
    > IIRC it's not Messenger that's gonna be shut down, am I right?
    >

    > Edward Nijs

    I guess you could gut Windows of all communications. You have to draw a line
    at what makes sense and I think MSN is a good place to start. We don't want
    Governments coming in and acting like Gods and monitoring everything that is
    permitted, like they do in some Asian and Middle East countries.

  5. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    "Ray Kopczynski" wrote in message
    > Umm -- Isn't this a case of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater?"

    Seems
    > to me it would be simpler to dis-allow "private" chatrooms on their system

    and
    > require all remaining chatrooms to be formally moderated -- quite easy to
    > kick/ban folks in those...

    Sometimes its better to shut down rather then micro manage. You start to get
    into censorship and litigation, et al. You can bet that lawyers have already
    investigated the permutations and possible scenarios of each action. What MS
    did was the path of least resistence to what they announced. I think AOL is
    going to have to belly up and do the same thing or atleast to do SOMETHING!
    Unfortunately, AOL's prime business is CHAT ROOLMS and all the attendent ill
    effects, like pornography, smut, ..... Unlike MS, they don't have other
    sources of revenue that equal what chat rooms deliver. Look for parent
    groups to aim their rath at AOL.

  6. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    Ray Kopczynski schrieb:

    > Umm -- Isn't this a case of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater?" Seems
    > to me it would be simpler to dis-allow "private" chatrooms on their system and
    > require all remaining chatrooms to be formally moderated -- quite easy to
    > kick/ban folks in those...

    Right.

    IRC-like chatrooms are always moderated (the first one entering is the
    moderator, if there is not a default one).
    Also, spamming in chatrooms (no matter which kind of) isn't really a
    problem. But chatrooms produce a lot of traffic and are therefore
    relatively expensive (compared to newsgroups, where SPAM is a MUCH
    bigger problem as it is persistent there and does not scroll out and
    isn't easy to block, but the traffic is low because the spam is
    transmitted just once to the next link)

    I guess, Microsoft has closed the chatrooms because people did talk too
    much about Microsoft bugs in there.

    If spamming would really be the problem, it would be extremely easy to
    find the spammer (you cannot fake the sender in an IRC-like chat room,
    as you wouldn't get connected with a wrong IP and you can be located in
    realtime) and take legal steps.

    Well, I never visited a Microsoft chatroom (I would be ashamed to be
    seen there) so it isn't really a loss.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  7. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    "Pat" schreef in bericht
    > I guess you could gut Windows of all communications. You have to draw a

    line
    > at what makes sense and I think MSN is a good place to start. We don't

    want
    > Governments coming in and acting like Gods and monitoring everything that

    is
    > permitted, like they do in some Asian and Middle East countries.

    Hi,

    MSN-chief Belgium said on the news they needed too much people to monitor
    those channels.
    "We can uese these people better elsewhere": he said.
    Sounds reasonable.

    Edward

  8. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    This is only partially correct. The truth is that the chatrooms will be
    shutdown outside the US. In the US you will get access if you provide a creditcard
    number, and by that way pay for the chatroom access.

    BR,
    Hans

    Pat wrote:

    > Lets all applaud Microsoft for doing the right thing and helping to stop
    > smut merchants, and worse. God knows how often Microsoft gets bad mouthed

    by
    > loopy detractors with nothing better to do than be mean spirited. Its

    time
    > to be fair and say "Good job, Microsoft". Perhaps AOL will follow their

    lead
    > and ameliorate their "out of control" chat rooms where pedophiles and

    smut
    > dealers hang out.
    >
    > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-508...ag=zdnnfd.main

  9. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    I agree with you Edward. Sometimes it better to pull the plug on something
    that is too costly to manage. It gives an opportunity for someone to think
    of a better solution, not sure what that is. I never use chat rooms, I find
    them to fast paced to stop, think, and respond.

    "Edward" wrote in message

    > "Pat" schreef in bericht
    > > I guess you could gut Windows of all communications. You have to draw a

    > line
    > > at what makes sense and I think MSN is a good place to start. We don't

    > want
    > > Governments coming in and acting like Gods and monitoring everything

    that
    > is
    > > permitted, like they do in some Asian and Middle East countries.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > MSN-chief Belgium said on the news they needed too much people to monitor
    > those channels.
    > "We can uese these people better elsewhere": he said.
    > Sounds reasonable.
    >

    > Edward

  10. Re: Microsoft Shuts Down Chat Rooms

    Hans,

    I believe that was already discussed in the news release. MSN is shutting
    down chat rooms in 28 countries. AOL and Yahoo are continuing their chat
    rooms in those countries, so it seems peadophiles can just drop their MSN
    membership and help AOL and Yahoo increase their revenue.

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.200392541234316256@news1.telia .com...
    > This is only partially correct. The truth is that the chatrooms will be
    > shutdown outside the US. In the US you will get access if you provide a

    creditcard
    > number, and by that way pay for the chatroom access.
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > Pat wrote:
    > >
    > > Lets all applaud Microsoft for doing the right thing and helping to stop
    > > smut merchants, and worse. God knows how often Microsoft gets bad

    mouthed
    > by
    > > loopy detractors with nothing better to do than be mean spirited. Its

    > time
    > > to be fair and say "Good job, Microsoft". Perhaps AOL will follow their

    > lead
    > > and ameliorate their "out of control" chat rooms where pedophiles and

    > smut
    > > dealers hang out.
    > >
    > > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-508...ag=zdnnfd.main

+ Reply to Thread