HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer - GEOS

This is a discussion on HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer - GEOS ; I recently had to replace my old Celeron 433 and have now got a Celeron 2.0GHZ CPU running the same Windows 98SE. I reinstalled GEOS from the DOS prompt and made all the usual setver changes and tweaks to Properties, ...

  1. HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    I recently had to replace my old Celeron 433 and have now got a
    Celeron 2.0GHZ CPU running the same Windows 98SE.
    I reinstalled GEOS from the DOS prompt and made all the usual
    setver changes and tweaks to Properties, including altering
    continuesetup in the ,ini from true to false, but sadly I still keep
    getting the dreaded KR-01 error... as a consequence am unable
    to access my accounts and other important docs.
    Would appreciate comments from anyone who has had the same
    experience and how they resolved it.
    Many thanks
    Ray Firth
    Former Geoworks Australian Republisher

    PS ... nice to see a lot of the old timers still alive and well

  2. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    Hi Ray!

    I think you have the dreaded Very Fast CPU problem. Go to
    www.breadbox.com, the Links section and scroll down to the General
    links. There's a link to CPUKiller which can slow your CPU down long
    enough to let Geos start. You need only slow it down long enough to let
    Geos start, maybe 5 seconds at the most. Give it a slowdown factor of
    at least 50%, if that's not enough try 75%.

    This little app has solved the fast CPU problem and gotten our NDO2000
    and Breadbox Ensemble customers up and running. I'm not sure whether
    it's been used successfully with Geoworks Ensemble.

    John ;-)

    RPF wrote:

    > I recently had to replace my old Celeron 433 and have now got a
    > Celeron 2.0GHZ CPU running the same Windows 98SE.
    > I reinstalled GEOS from the DOS prompt and made all the usual
    > setver changes and tweaks to Properties, including altering
    > continuesetup in the ,ini from true to false, but sadly I still keep
    > getting the dreaded KR-01 error... as a consequence am unable
    > to access my accounts and other important docs.
    > Would appreciate comments from anyone who has had the same
    > experience and how they resolved it.
    > Many thanks
    > Ray Firth
    > Former Geoworks Australian Republisher
    >
    > PS ... nice to see a lot of the old timers still alive and well

  3. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    "John Howard" wrote in message
    > Hi Ray!
    >
    > I think you have the dreaded Very Fast CPU problem.

    > John ;-)
    >
    > RPF wrote:
    >
    > > I recently had to replace my old Celeron 433 and have now got a
    > > Celeron 2.0GHZ CPU

    LOL! 2 GHz is considered a "Very Fast" CPU!!!! LOL!

  4. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    "Bob" wrote in message
    newsgJab.519735$Ho3.87639@sccrnsc03...

    > > > I recently had to replace my old Celeron 433 and have now got a
    > > > Celeron 2.0GHZ CPU

    > LOL! 2 GHz is considered a "Very Fast" CPU!!!! LOL!

    Wasn't this fixed in the August 2003 GEOS SR4 CD Update?

  5. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    "Pat" wrote in message

    > "Bob" wrote in message
    > newsgJab.519735$Ho3.87639@sccrnsc03...

    > > LOL! 2 GHz is considered a "Very Fast" CPU!!!! LOL!

    > Wasn't this fixed in the August 2003 GEOS SR4 CD Update?

    IIRC yes. If users would simply go to www.breadbox.com/ensemble/update, they
    can easily install all the latest updates, patches, bug-fixes, system
    library updates, and driver updates. Not only the "Very Fast" CPU bug fix
    but USB support etc., are easily and readily available. And oh yes I forgot,
    Breadbox now has a TCP/IP installer. One can easily now use auto IP config,
    as well as DHCP, and Ensemble can now print to an IP printer. I also got the
    new MP3 player, and CD burning updates, as well as DVD support.

  6. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    Ray,

    I aw your post about being unable to run GEOS 2.01 Ensemble on your new
    computer. I had the same problem and solved it as follows:

    1. First, GEOS 2.01 will not run under Windows 2000 up (Runs fine under
    Win98). Since Win2K is my primary OS, I had to create a separate DOS
    partition to run GEOS 2.01, then set up a PQ Boot (Partition Magic) to
    access it.

    2. Any CPU over about 800MHZ will be too fast for Ensemble 2.01 to
    run. A fellow GEOS user sent me a little utility called CACHE.EXE that
    slows down the CPU while Ensemble loads. I put CACHE into a GW.BAT file
    that I run to load Ensemble in DOS. I've attached CACHE.EXE and my
    GW.BAT file (to an e-mail sent directly to you) so you see what I mean.

    3. Finally, there is also a problem if you have more than 32M of RAM
    installed in the new computer. I would go to the Katter website
    (http://www.tvakatter.org/download.ph...Update&sortby=
    ) and
    download both the Ensemble 2.01 update AND the 32M update.

    Good luck. These fixes worked for me.

    Chip Reinhardt

    RPF wrote:

    >I recently had to replace my old Celeron 433 and have now got a
    >Celeron 2.0GHZ CPU running the same Windows 98SE.
    >I reinstalled GEOS from the DOS prompt and made all the usual
    >setver changes and tweaks to Properties, including altering
    >continuesetup in the ,ini from true to false, but sadly I still keep
    >getting the dreaded KR-01 error... as a consequence am unable
    >to access my accounts and other important docs.
    >Would appreciate comments from anyone who has had the same
    >experience and how they resolved it.
    >Many thanks
    >Ray Firth
    >Former Geoworks Australian Republisher
    >
    >PS ... nice to see a lot of the old timers still alive and well

  7. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    "Bob" wrote in message
    One can easily now use auto IP config,
    > as well as DHCP, and Ensemble can now print to an IP printer. I also got

    the
    > new MP3 player, and CD burning updates, as well as DVD support.

    My God, they've taken a page from M$, what next, GEO$?

    ROTFLMAO!

  8. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    Bob schrieb:

    > LOL! 2 GHz is considered a "Very Fast" CPU!!!! LOL!

    Well, It is only 40000% faster than the brand new 'this is all you will
    ever need' PC that was distributed for very rich people about 18 years
    ago. and also 40000% faster than what GEOS was originally designed for.
    Not really fast indeed
    But whan i think of the state-of-the-art Win95, which was overwhelmed by
    the power of a Pentium with >233 MHz when it was designed in times when
    90/133MHz were already out...
    Well, Microsoft has learned and with the current 'state-of-the-art'-OS
    you'll NEED such a fast machine to see it ever finish booting.

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster, we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  9. Re: HELP PLEASE ...Ensemble 2.01 won't run on my new computer

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:55:04 GMT, RPF wrote:

    >I recently had to replace my old Celeron 433 and have now got a
    >Celeron 2.0GHZ CPU running the same Windows 98SE.
    >I reinstalled GEOS from the DOS prompt and made all the usual
    >setver changes and tweaks to Properties, including altering
    >continuesetup in the ,ini from true to false, but sadly I still keep
    >getting the dreaded KR-01 error... as a consequence am unable
    >to access my accounts and other important docs.
    >Would appreciate comments from anyone who has had the same
    >experience and how they resolved it.
    >Many thanks
    >Ray Firth
    >Former Geoworks Australian Republisher
    >
    >PS ... nice to see a lot of the old timers still alive and well

    Many thanks for the good advice.
    Gratuitous comments ignored.

+ Reply to Thread