Geos and Geoworks and Breadbox - GEOS

This is a discussion on Geos and Geoworks and Breadbox - GEOS ; Hi Gang! I never got an answer to a previous question. I had been away from this newsgroup for a long time, after New Deal went under. Is Geos still controlled by Geoworks or has Breadbox obtained all rights to ...

  1. Geos and Geoworks and Breadbox

    Hi Gang!

    I never got an answer to a previous question. I had been away from this
    newsgroup for a long time, after New Deal went under. Is Geos still
    controlled by Geoworks or has Breadbox obtained all rights to the Geos
    operating system?

    Bob mentioned something that could be added to the program which would
    make it possible for Geos to ren independently of any form of
    DOS. Could Breadbox do this, or would they have to get permission
    from Geoworks.

    What I remember about Geoworks, it is only making cordless cell
    phones (telephones)- so why would they want to keep the rights to
    Geos? Breadbox could do more if they had total control over the
    kernal.

    Any opinions?

    -Dana

  2. Re: Geos and Geoworks and Breadbox

    Hello Dana,

    Dana Sindell wrote:

    > Hi Gang!
    >
    > I never got an answer to a previous question. I had been away from this
    > newsgroup for a long time, after New Deal went under. Is Geos still
    > controlled by Geoworks or has Breadbox obtained all rights to the Geos
    > operating system?

    Breadbox is the sole and exclusive licensee of Geos and will own Geos
    outright after a period of time agreed upon by Geoworks and Breadbox.
    Check the news section at www.breadbox.com. At about the same time that
    Breadbox and Geoworks agreed on the above, Geoworks as we know it ceased
    to exist. Some folks in Texas bought the corporate shell. I don't know
    anyone who knows what will become of the Geoworks name and corporate shell.

    > Bob mentioned something that could be added to the program which would
    > make it possible for Geos to ren independently of any form of
    > DOS. Could Breadbox do this, or would they have to get permission
    > from Geoworks.

    Yes, Breadbox could do this, and no, no permission is required from
    Geoworks.

    > What I remember about Geoworks, it is only making cordless cell
    > phones (telephones)- so why would they want to keep the rights to
    > Geos? Breadbox could do more if they had total control over the
    > kernal.

    Geoworks never made any hardware, just software.

    > Any opinions?

    No doubt there are many and varied opinions!

    John ;-)

  3. Re: Geos and Geoworks and Breadbox

    "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    news:538f8989.0309151444.42274375@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Gang!

    Breadbox could do more if they had total control over the kernal.

    > Any opinions?

    I think KERNAL is a misuse of the word KERNEL. Time to stop using niche
    terms that further distance an already "lost in space" GEOS from the Solar
    System.

    HERE'S AN OLDIE FROM THE PAST, ALL YOU COMMODORE WARRIORS:

    Message 9 in thread
    From: Andy Finkel (andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP)
    Subject: Re: Spelling of kernel

    View this article only
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
    Date: 1986-12-12 07:36:31 PST

    writes:
    >>>*Your* 8-bit "Kernal" ?

    >>sort of trademark on "Kernal".

    >Oh, Carolyn! Usually, I'm impressed by your contributions, but today I'm
    >surprised at you. Kernel is a standard Operating System term. It's a

    standard
    >in every computer science reference book on the subject. Do you really

    think
    >that Commodore originally spelled it right and every one else mis-spelled

    it?

    >Michael

    Let me try to bring the discussion to a close (since I was there at the
    time).
    Kernel is indeed a standard OS term. KERNAL was/is Commodore's name
    for our 8 bit Operating System. The mispelling was invented by Bob Russell
    on his first written description of the Kernal, then was spread through an
    unsuspecting company by me, among others. The mispelling was intentional,
    you couldn't expect to call your operating system the kernel, right ?
    (we may even have a trademark on Kernal, thanks to our lawyer way back
    then.)

    Anyway, what's done is done, now you know, so perhaps we can talk about
    other things ?

    I know...let's discuss the misuse of the term AmigaDos to describe the
    entire Amiga OS. That should be interesting, yea, that's the ticket.
    We'll talk about that.

    andy finkel
    --

    andy finkel
    Commodore/Amiga

    "Never make anything simple and efficient when it can be complex and
    wonderful."http://sumeru.stanford.edu/pcc/PCCminipages/z96e452c2.html

+ Reply to Thread