Is Geos still good for those on a low budget? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Is Geos still good for those on a low budget? - GEOS ; With all those who are unemployed or underemployed (earning $6 or $7 per hour), is the Geos Operating System still a viable alternative? I purchased my New Deal Office Suite from the late New Deal company three or four years ...

  1. Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    With all those who are unemployed or underemployed (earning $6 or $7 per hour),
    is the Geos Operating System still a viable alternative?

    I purchased my New Deal Office Suite from the late New Deal company three
    or four years ago for $69. The Breadbox Suite, which has taken over
    the product charges $99, presently. Would not a lower price attract
    more persons, as Geos is still a 16-bit system.

    I still use my "old" New Deal suite; however, I write this post in a
    Netscape browser running in an "old" (2 year old) Debian Linux Operating
    System.

    I do think there have to be alternatives to Windows XP, as this software
    if very expensive and the pre-loaded desktop computers that have Windows XP
    are $600 (for a slightly used one) to $1,500. I know Bill Gates does not
    give a hoot for whether or not consumers can afford this- and he keeps changing
    his operating system every two years. Most persons will purchase a new
    computer with a credit card and, by the time the interest and the item
    is paid off, the computer is only worth a quarter of what was the original
    price.

    I think Linux and Apple-Macintosh may seem the only alternatives at present,
    and the Macintosh computers are still fairly expensive.

    Can Geos help the situation?

    - Dana

  2. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    Dana Sindell schrieb:

    > With all those who are unemployed or underemployed (earning $6 or $7 per hour),
    > is the Geos Operating System still a viable alternative?
    >
    > I purchased my New Deal Office Suite from the late New Deal company three
    > or four years ago for $69. The Breadbox Suite, which has taken over
    > the product charges $99, presently. Would not a lower price attract
    > more persons, as Geos is still a 16-bit system.

    Well, actually they sell for about $69
    But the distributors want to earn some money too. And BB does not sell
    to individuals (and couldn't sell below the sale price of their
    distributors).

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  3. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    On 9 Sep 2003 21:05:04 -0700
    danas@aristotle.net (Dana Sindell) wrote:

    > Can Geos help the situation?

    Wll, what do you want the computer to do for you?

    For basic office work, you'll be fine with your existing NewDeal
    Office suite.

    NDO even provides some internet and email features, very, very
    basic, though.

    If you want more, however, i.e. multimedia, CD/DVD playing &
    processing, MP3's, comfortable internet browsing, comfortable
    email clients, etc., etc., I'd recommend to upgrade your Linux
    distribution to an actual one.

    This is your alternative to Windows XP. If you stick to Debian,
    you'll get it completely free. Commercial distributions like
    RedHat or Suse will cost you some $70-100. They'll include,
    however, lots of applications such as modern web browsers, email
    clients, office suites, multimedia stuff, USB &
    IEEE1394 support, etc.

    Geos doesn't provide much of that. It's good, however, on older
    hardware.

    Reg's,

    Hans.

  4. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    Hans wrote:

    "I'd recommend to upgrade your Linux
    distribution to an actual one."

    - My distribution is Corel Linux, which was taken over by
    Xendros- who has released an upgraded version of this
    Debian cernal. I also have Demo Linux, which is entirely
    on a CD (it creates a RAM disk). Demo Linux is designed
    as a preview to show what Linux can do (although you can
    play around with some of the applications).

    Xendros Linux has a trimmed down consumer version for
    $39. Or, like you wrote, you can download for free the
    straight version of Debian for free from http://www.debian.org

    I like the forms of Geos that have come out in the past
    for basic computing. Linux does have many of the features
    you mentioned for more than just basic computing.

    Red Hat does charge the most for a Linux distribution; however,
    it seems much less than the $200 or more Microsoft charges for
    Windows XP. Also, don't forget, Windows XP will be replaced
    by Blackthorne (or whatever Microsoft calls it), which will
    be replaced by another "improved" version of Windows two years
    later.

    Older software is still good for basic computing. As I wrote,
    I still use MS Windows 95, in addition to Linux. These do
    everything I need at present. I will probably upgrade eventually
    to a newer version of Linux when I purchase a larger harddrive
    and get the newer KDE2 window manager with it (this is the one
    that includes KOffice Suite (KWord, KSpreadsheet, and other
    applications).

    The New Deal Suite I have has the easiest to use applications,
    however- particularly the NewCalc spreadsheet program.

    - Dana

    Hans Voges wrote in message news:<20030914071713.37f2d854.hansvoges@despammed.com>...
    > On 9 Sep 2003 21:05:04 -0700
    > danas@aristotle.net (Dana Sindell) wrote:
    >

    > > Can Geos help the situation?

    > Wll, what do you want the computer to do for you?
    >
    > For basic office work, you'll be fine with your existing NewDea

  5. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 04:33:01 UTC, danas@aristotle.net (Dana Sindell)
    wrote:

    > I also have Demo Linux, which is entirely
    > on a CD (it creates a RAM disk). Demo Linux is designed
    > as a preview to show what Linux can do (although you can
    > play around with some of the applications).

    Is this Knoppix or Demo?

    --
    Regards,
    Doug

    **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  6. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    Doug:

    This is Demo Linux, available from Edmunds.com or Cheapbyes for
    two dollars.

    - Dana

    "Doug Fitzpatrick" wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 04:33:01 UTC, danas@aristotle.net (Dana Sindell)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I also have Demo Linux, which is entirely
    > > on a CD (it creates a RAM disk). Demo Linux is designed
    > > as a preview to show what Linux can do (although you can
    > > play around with some of the applications).

    > Is this Knoppix or Demo?

  7. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    Why not simply download "it" for free? RedHat 8 is a good one. The get
    OpenOffice, again free. No shippin no nothin. If u can't manage it, I'd
    happily mail u the cd's.

    news:538f8989.0309151436.65cffb4@posting.google.co m...

    > > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 04:33:01 UTC, danas@aristotle.net (Dana Sindell)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I also have Demo Linux, which is entirely
    > > > on a CD (it creates a RAM disk). Demo Linux is designed
    > > > as a preview to show what Linux can do (although you can
    > > > play around with some of the applications).

    > > Is this Knoppix or Demo?

  8. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    I don't have a CD Burner. I have a dialup internet account only
    with an external 56K modem (I live in an area where there is no
    cable TV yet, so I cannot use a cable modem).

    Red Hat 8 is a good distribution, I understand. When I buy a larger
    harddrive, maybe I will try it. I have the old Corel Linux on
    an 800 meg hard drive.

    I purchased the Demo Linux last year mainly out of curiosity. Like
    Knoppix Linux, Demo Linux is run entirely on a CD (sets up a ramdisk,
    which runs the applications much slower than if they are run
    directly from the harddrive).

    I would not mind trying the Red Had Linux 8 distribution, as it has
    the KDE2 program manager with the XWindows, which (I think) has the
    new KOffice suite, in addition to the Gnome program manager, which is
    standard with Red Hat.

    -Dana

    "Bob" wrote in message news:<8xs9b.361646$Oz4.133281@rwcrnsc54>...
    > Why not simply download "it" for free? RedHat 8 is a good one. The get
    > OpenOffice, again free. No shippin no nothin. If u can't manage it, I'd
    > happily mail u the cd's.
    >
    > "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    > news:538f8989.0309151436.65cffb4@posting.google.co m...
    > > Doug:
    > >
    > > This is Demo Linux, available from Edmunds.com or Cheapbyes for
    > > two dollars.
    > >
    > > - Dana
    > >

    > > "Doug Fitzpatrick" wrote in message

    > > > Is this Knoppix or Demo?

  9. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    well if you need a larger hd lemme know. i've got a bunch ranging from 3 - 8
    gigs.

    "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    news:538f8989.0309161733.6a62e509@posting.google.c om...
    > I don't have a CD Burner. I have a dialup internet account only
    > with an external 56K modem (I live in an area where there is no
    > cable TV yet, so I cannot use a cable modem).
    >
    > Red Hat 8 is a good distribution, I understand. When I buy a larger
    > harddrive, maybe I will try it. I have the old Corel Linux on
    > an 800 meg hard drive.
    >
    > I purchased the Demo Linux last year mainly out of curiosity. Like
    > Knoppix Linux, Demo Linux is run entirely on a CD (sets up a ramdisk,
    > which runs the applications much slower than if they are run
    > directly from the harddrive).
    >
    > I would not mind trying the Red Had Linux 8 distribution, as it has
    > the KDE2 program manager with the XWindows, which (I think) has the
    > new KOffice suite, in addition to the Gnome program manager, which is
    > standard with Red Hat.
    >
    > -Dana
    >

    > "Bob" wrote in message

    > > Why not simply download "it" for free? RedHat 8 is a good one. The get
    > > OpenOffice, again free. No shippin no nothin. If u can't manage it, I'd
    > > happily mail u the cd's.
    > >
    > > "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    > > news:538f8989.0309151436.65cffb4@posting.google.co m...
    > > > Doug:
    > > >
    > > > This is Demo Linux, available from Edmunds.com or Cheapbyes for
    > > > two dollars.
    > > >
    > > > - Dana
    > > >

    > > > "Doug Fitzpatrick" wrote in message

  10. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    Howdy,

    I could use a couple good 8 gig HD's, email me if you want to part with
    them.

    Jim

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > well if you need a larger hd lemme know. i've got a bunch ranging from 3 -

    8
    > gigs.
    >
    > "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    > news:538f8989.0309161733.6a62e509@posting.google.c om...
    > > I don't have a CD Burner. I have a dialup internet account only
    > > with an external 56K modem (I live in an area where there is no
    > > cable TV yet, so I cannot use a cable modem).
    > >
    > > Red Hat 8 is a good distribution, I understand. When I buy a larger
    > > harddrive, maybe I will try it. I have the old Corel Linux on
    > > an 800 meg hard drive.
    > >
    > > I purchased the Demo Linux last year mainly out of curiosity. Like
    > > Knoppix Linux, Demo Linux is run entirely on a CD (sets up a ramdisk,
    > > which runs the applications much slower than if they are run
    > > directly from the harddrive).
    > >
    > > I would not mind trying the Red Had Linux 8 distribution, as it has
    > > the KDE2 program manager with the XWindows, which (I think) has the
    > > new KOffice suite, in addition to the Gnome program manager, which is
    > > standard with Red Hat.
    > >
    > > -Dana
    > >

    > > "Bob" wrote in message

    > > > Why not simply download "it" for free? RedHat 8 is a good one. The get
    > > > OpenOffice, again free. No shippin no nothin. If u can't manage it,

    I'd
    > > > happily mail u the cd's.
    > > >
    > > > "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    > > > news:538f8989.0309151436.65cffb4@posting.google.co m...

    Sindell)

  11. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    Sure-

    If you have a 3 or 4 gyg I would be interested.
    I will contact you at your email, Bob.

    My email is:

    danas@aristotle.net

    - Dana

    "Bob" wrote in message news:...
    > well if you need a larger hd lemme know. i've got a bunch ranging from 3 - 8
    > gigs.
    >
    > "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    > news:538f8989.0309161733.6a62e509@posting.google.c om...
    > > I don't have a CD Burner. I have a dialup internet account only
    > > with an external 56K modem (I live in an area where there is no
    > > cable TV yet, so I cannot use a cable modem).
    > >
    > > Red Hat 8 is a good distribution, I understand. When I buy a larger
    > > harddrive, maybe I will try it. I have the old Corel Linux on
    > > an 800 meg hard drive.
    > >
    > > I purchased the Demo Linux last year mainly out of curiosity. Like
    > > Knoppix Linux, Demo Linux is run entirely on a CD (sets up a ramdisk,
    > > which runs the applications much slower than if they are run
    > > directly from the harddrive).
    > >
    > > I would not mind trying the Red Had Linux 8 distribution, as it has
    > > the KDE2 program manager with the XWindows, which (I think) has the
    > > new KOffice suite, in addition to the Gnome program manager, which is
    > > standard with Red Hat.
    > >
    > > -Dana
    > >

    > > "Bob" wrote in message

    > > > Why not simply download "it" for free? RedHat 8 is a good one. The get
    > > > OpenOffice, again free. No shippin no nothin. If u can't manage it, I'd
    > > > happily mail u the cd's.
    > > >
    > > > "Dana Sindell" wrote in message
    > > > news:538f8989.0309151436.65cffb4@posting.google.co m...

  12. Re: Is Geos still good for those on a low budget?

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:40:39 UTC, danas@aristotle.net (Dana Sindell)
    wrote:

    > My email is:
    >

    > - Dana