I never got an answer to my question - GEOS

This is a discussion on I never got an answer to my question - GEOS ; In my last post, I responded why the "old" (1997- isn't that weird that, in the world of computers, that year is considered old???) Brother SuperPower Notebook I purchased (for five bucks) has worked good for what I need it ...

  1. I never got an answer to my question

    In my last post, I responded why the "old" (1997- isn't that weird
    that, in the world of computers, that year is considered old???)
    Brother SuperPower Notebook I purchased (for five bucks) has worked
    good for what I need it - taking to different locations something
    with which I could write my short stories. I mainly use my desktop
    computer at home but I needed something like a laptop for mobiblity.

    I asked if there were any other writers out there, in this group,
    and what experience you have had in trying to get your works published.
    I received no replies. Does this mean no one in this newsgroup
    ever tried writing as a hobby (other than in newsgroups)?

    -Dana

  2. Re: I never got an answer to my question

    Hi Dana,

    sorry for not responding.

    I had several presentations made in international scientific conferences
    (IEEE, IFAC, etc.) made with GEOS, printed to file as postscript and
    then ported to PDF under Windows (for the conference organisation
    convenience).

    I have written some scientific papers (chapters) with Write (basically
    in a portable device) which have been then ported to Word for
    integration with other portions of text.

    I have written two long articles with pictures in a sophisticated two
    column template. Sure I could have done this with Word, taking twice the
    time it took me with Write (Framemaker is cool, but it requires a big
    config). And Write runs on my Zoomer...

    I have made some BookReader publications (for testing). I have no time
    to go further with it for the moment.

    And many other things.

    Philippe.

    Dana Sindell wrote:
    > In my last post, I responded why the "old" (1997- isn't that weird
    > that, in the world of computers, that year is considered old???)
    > Brother SuperPower Notebook I purchased (for five bucks) has worked
    > good for what I need it - taking to different locations something
    > with which I could write my short stories. I mainly use my desktop
    > computer at home but I needed something like a laptop for mobiblity.
    >
    > I asked if there were any other writers out there, in this group,
    > and what experience you have had in trying to get your works published.
    > I received no replies. Does this mean no one in this newsgroup
    > ever tried writing as a hobby (other than in newsgroups)?
    >
    > -Dana

  3. Re: I never got an answer to my question

    In article <538f8989.0309091950.4eb39293@posting.google.com>,
    Dana Sindell wrote:

    >I asked if there were any other writers out there, in this group,
    >and what experience you have had in trying to get your works published.
    >I received no replies. Does this mean no one in this newsgroup
    >ever tried writing as a hobby (other than in newsgroups)?

    I've written a couple of novels, but neither of them has been
    published. If you're interested in hobnobbing with other writers,
    you might look into some of the rec.arts groups devoted to writing.
    You can get some good information from talking with some of the
    published writers (and even publishers) that frequent some of those
    groups.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  4. Re: I never got an answer to my question

    Dana Sindell schrieb:

    > I asked if there were any other writers out there, in this group,
    > and what experience you have had in trying to get your works published.
    > I received no replies. Does this mean no one in this newsgroup
    > ever tried writing as a hobby (other than in newsgroups)?

    I wrote my first diploma thesis with geoWrite in 1994.
    It was easy, did what I wanted and I had no problems whatsoever.

    The second diploma thesis was written in Word in 2000 (I had to: company
    standard of the company where I did the research).
    I had lots of problems and it was difficult to tell the d*** thing to do
    it like I wanted it.
    It auto-corrected my source code, reassembled the directory, did not
    accept my numbering scheme and other things.

    Well, if I had the choice, I'd still use Write.

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  5. Re: I never got an answer to my question

    In news:538f8989.0309091950.4eb39293@posting.google.c om,
    Dana Sindell wrote:
    | In my last post, I responded why the "old" (1997- isn't that weird
    | that, in the world of computers, that year is considered old???)
    | Brother SuperPower Notebook I purchased (for five bucks) has worked
    | good for what I need it - taking to different locations something
    | with which I could write my short stories. I mainly use my desktop
    | computer at home but I needed something like a laptop for mobiblity.
    |
    | I asked if there were any other writers out there, in this group,
    | and what experience you have had in trying to get your works
    | published. I received no replies. Does this mean no one in this
    | newsgroup ever tried writing as a hobby (other than in newsgroups)?

    I did most of my undergrad papers on my old Visual Commuter 8088, using
    a WYSIWYG word processor called A Plus. You could use long filenamed
    files and folders, and insert really crappy bitmapped pics. This wasn't
    professional publishing, though.

    Years ago, when "Desktop Publishing" was something that was tweaked by
    hand, I used to do newsletters, brochures, ad copy, etc. I did quite a
    bit of the formatted stuff on GeoWrite (1.2 and 2.1 on a 386sx, which I
    still have). I also used Timeworks Publish It!, which ran on top of DOS
    in a GEM environment. It was very cool, but ultimately I switched to Win
    3.1 and got a little more professional.

    When I moved on to grad school, I used Ami Pro, and sometimes Gold Disk
    Software's Professional Draw (a vector style drawing program - it had
    tons of layout tools, kind of like Aldus Pagemaker or Corel). I still
    designed some newsletters and local ad stuff, and I sometimes dropped
    down to GeoWrite, just for the hell of it.

    Now most of what I'm doing is editing existing copy and maybe composing
    some short news items for a statewide publication for a large,
    well-known fraternal organization. It's not, however, a paying position.
    I'm using Word 2000, but that's okay since I'm not doing any layout
    work (yet!).

    I'm not a writer, BTW, I'm actually in manufacturing. I just like to
    dabble. Except for opinion pieces and letters-to-the-editor, I haven't
    tried to get anything published. Uh, unless you want to see my erotic
    limericks ;-)

    Tom

  6. Re: I never got an answer to my question

    Doug-

    The rec.arts newsgroups are no longer archived, as of August 18,
    2002.

    Thanks for the info, though.

    - Dana