$189 spent and no spell checker.. - GEOS

This is a discussion on $189 spent and no spell checker.. - GEOS ; WEll, in this sunday's newspaper circulars, i see WinXP PROFESSIONAL (yes, not the amatuer version, but teh PROFESSIONAL VERSION) ON SALE FRO $189 at Office Max, and fro $1790 at Best Buy.. Hmm.. spend all that money, get outlook express ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. $189 spent and no spell checker..

    WEll, in this sunday's newspaper circulars, i see WinXP PROFESSIONAL
    (yes, not the amatuer version, but teh PROFESSIONAL VERSION) ON SALE
    FRO $189 at Office Max, and fro $1790 at Best Buy..

    Hmm.. spend all that money, get outlook express included in the package
    adn you know, for all that extra money you spend on a
    ****Professional**** version of a product, you get no spell checker..
    That is sort of like spending $50,000 on the highest end Cadillac and
    not getting power windows! Guess you have ot drive down to the the
    local pep boys auto parts store to buy and install 3rd party aftermarket
    power windows yourself, if you know how...

  2. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    Yes, Hyubso. But there IS a way to unleash the spell checker with a few
    Registry changes without installing MS Office. Now figure it out, wise arse.
    ROTFL!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > WEll, in this sunday's newspaper circulars, i see WinXP PROFESSIONAL
    > (yes, not the amatuer version, but teh PROFESSIONAL VERSION) ON SALE
    > FRO $189 at Office Max, and fro $1790 at Best Buy..
    >
    > Hmm.. spend all that money, get outlook express included in the package
    > adn you know, for all that extra money you spend on a
    > ****Professional**** version of a product, you get no spell checker..
    > That is sort of like spending $50,000 on the highest end Cadillac and
    > not getting power windows! Guess you have ot drive down to the the
    > local pep boys auto parts store to buy and install 3rd party aftermarket
    > power windows yourself, if you know how...

  3. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    been there, done that.. maybe now you will agree with the fact that
    windows is really just a full employment/welfare program for tech
    support folks like me!

    Pat wrote:

    > Yes, Hyubso. But there IS a way to unleash the spell checker with a few
    > Registry changes without installing MS Office. Now figure it out, wise arse.
    > ROTFL!
    >

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>WEll, in this sunday's newspaper circulars, i see WinXP PROFESSIONAL
    >>(yes, not the amatuer version, but teh PROFESSIONAL VERSION) ON SALE
    >>FRO $189 at Office Max, and fro $1790 at Best Buy..
    >>
    >>Hmm.. spend all that money, get outlook express included in the package
    >>adn you know, for all that extra money you spend on a
    >>****Professional**** version of a product, you get no spell checker..
    >>That is sort of like spending $50,000 on the highest end Cadillac and
    >>not getting power windows! Guess you have ot drive down to the the
    >>local pep boys auto parts store to buy and install 3rd party aftermarket
    >>power windows yourself, if you know how...

  4. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    HYUBSO WROTE:

    > been there, done that.. maybe now you will agree with the fact that
    > windows is really just a full employment/welfare program for tech
    > support folks like me!

    PAT REPLIES:

    Oh my God. Hyubso, you claim to be a tech savvy dude and didn't even know
    that the spell checker does not come bundled with Outlook Express. Then you
    spend $50 with Microsoft to find out what you could have learned for free
    using the Internet search engines. Geeez, those Microsoft support people
    must have roared laughing. And you had no idea that with a few registry
    settings you could have gotten it to work anyway. ROTFL!

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C2C1257D5

  5. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > been there, done that.. maybe now you will agree with the fact that
    > windows is really just a full employment/welfare program for tech
    > support folks like me!

    How do u stay employed??? YIKES! I would hate to think of u doing PC Tech.
    Support! Even though that position is usually filled by low level personnel,
    I shudder to think it has gotten to that low a level!!

  6. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    I ***MADE**** $50 fixing MSFT mistakes which someone else bought from
    Microsoft.

    See, Windows really is a "workfare" program.

    Pat wrote:

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    > PAT WROTE:
    >

    >>>Yes, Hyubso. But there IS a way to unleash the spell checker with a few
    >>>Registry changes without installing MS Office. Now figure it out, wise

    > arse.
    >
    >>>ROTFL!

    > HYUBSO WROTE:
    >

    >>been there, done that.. maybe now you will agree with the fact that
    >>windows is really just a full employment/welfare program for tech
    >>support folks like me!

    > PAT REPLIES:
    >
    > Oh my God. Hyubso, you claim to be a tech savvy dude and didn't even know
    > that the spell checker does not come bundled with Outlook Express. Then you
    > spend $50 with Microsoft to find out what you could have learned for free
    > using the Internet search engines. Geeez, those Microsoft support people
    > must have roared laughing. And you had no idea that with a few registry
    > settings you could have gotten it to work anyway. ROTFL!
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C2C1257D5

  7. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    people tell me i am the BEST pc tech they ever had, because i take the
    time to explain to them WHY their pcs fail/do not run, and when i am
    done, they UNDERSTAND..

    Bob wrote:

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>been there, done that.. maybe now you will agree with the fact that
    >>windows is really just a full employment/welfare program for tech
    >>support folks like me!

    > How do u stay employed??? YIKES! I would hate to think of u doing PC Tech.
    > Support! Even though that position is usually filled by low level personnel,
    > I shudder to think it has gotten to that low a level!!

  8. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:01:56 GMT
    "Pat" wrote:

    > Yes, Hyubso. But there IS a way to unleash the spell checker
    > with a few Registry changes without installing MS Office. Now
    > figure it out, wise arse. ROTFL!

    Hmm, besides of all the pros & cons beyond the OP's intention:
    Who the hell does need a spell checker, huh?

    Isn't that just another feature nobody really requires?

    I mean, people suffering from legasthenia might have some sort of
    use for it but that clientele would never get that far - they
    would fail at the keyboard already.

    Reg's,

    Hans.

  9. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    LOL!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:Hxp7b.191$847.189@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com. ..
    > people tell me i am the BEST pc tech they ever had, because i take the
    > time to explain to them WHY their pcs fail/do not run, and when i am
    > done, they UNDERSTAND..
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>been there, done that.. maybe now you will agree with the fact that
    > >>windows is really just a full employment/welfare program for tech
    > >>support folks like me!

    > > How do u stay employed??? YIKES! I would hate to think of u doing PC

    Tech.
    > > Support! Even though that position is usually filled by low level

    personnel,
    > > I shudder to think it has gotten to that low a level!!

  10. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    Bad tech job, my friend. These Spell Checkers are all over the net and you
    could have saved yourself the embarassment by finding what is like low
    hanging fruit. Next time, send me the $50 if you need to be spoon fed
    information. The following is free.

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joeyr76/pc/oespell.html

    ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:Utp7b.190$847.70@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com.. .
    > I ***MADE**** $50 fixing MSFT mistakes which someone else bought from
    > Microsoft.
    >

    > See, Windows really is a "workfare" program.
    >

    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message

    > > arse.

    > > HYUBSO WROTE:
    > >

    > >>been there, done that.. maybe now you will agree with the fact that
    > >>windows is really just a full employment/welfare program for tech
    > >>support folks like me!

    > > PAT REPLIES:
    > >
    > > Oh my God. Hyubso, you claim to be a tech savvy dude and didn't even

    know
    > > that the spell checker does not come bundled with Outlook Express. Then

    you
    > > spend $50 with Microsoft to find out what you could have learned for

    free
    > > using the Internet search engines. Geeez, those Microsoft support people
    > > must have roared laughing. And you had no idea that with a few registry
    > > settings you could have gotten it to work anyway. ROTFL!
    > >
    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C2C1257D5

  11. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    "Hans Voges" wrote in message
    news:20030909214314.7aa63a37.hansvoges@despammed.c om...
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:01:56 GMT

    > Hmm, besides of all the pros & cons beyond the OP's intention:
    > Who the hell does need a spell checker, huh?

    People who are unable to spell.

  12. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    ***Subject: Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..
    From: Hans Voges
    Date: Tue, Sep 9, 2003 15:43 EDT

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:01:56 GMT
    "Pat" wrote:

    > Yes, Hyubso. But there IS a way to unleash the spell checker
    > with a few Registry changes without installing MS Office. Now
    > figure it out, wise arse. ROTFL!

    Hmm, besides of all the pros & cons beyond the OP's intention:
    Who the hell does need a spell checker, huh?

    Isn't that just another feature nobody really requires?
    ***

    Nope. It is great for kids and students and those who do documents when tired.
    A spell checker is a necessity. Ideally it would be part of a decent full
    dictionary and thesaurus.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  13. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    A spell checker is mandatory if you are doing word processing but its
    optional for email and newsgroups. In fact, from the first iteration,
    Internet email and Usenet were text based and there was no spell checker.
    Today, with GUI based readers, it still follows the early general model of
    typing opinion with "no training wheels". The Internet pioneers would have a
    good laugh. If you want to change things, try and penetrate the IETF and the
    old unix crowd that still controle the standards, they still publish specs
    in the tried and true method of text documents.

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***Subject: Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..
    > From: Hans Voges
    > Date: Tue, Sep 9, 2003 15:43 EDT
    >
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:01:56 GMT
    > "Pat" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, Hyubso. But there IS a way to unleash the spell checker
    > > with a few Registry changes without installing MS Office. Now
    > > figure it out, wise arse. ROTFL!

    > Hmm, besides of all the pros & cons beyond the OP's intention:
    > Who the hell does need a spell checker, huh?
    >
    > Isn't that just another feature nobody really requires?
    > ***
    >
    > Nope. It is great for kids and students and those who do documents when

    tired.
    > A spell checker is a necessity. Ideally it would be part of a decent full
    > dictionary and thesaurus.
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  14. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    On 12 Sep 2003 21:27:05 GMT
    cblankii@aol.com (C BLANK II) wrote:

    > Nope. It is great for kids and students and those who do
    > documents when tired. A spell checker is a necessity. Ideally it
    > would be part of a decent full dictionary and thesaurus.

    Chip,

    Sorry, but I can't follow your thoughts in this case.

    Kids are to learn spelling at school, faced & controlled by a
    teacher, aren't they? And students who can't spell should
    re-consider if their decision to study was the right one.

    Somebody who's tired should stay away from the screen, and should
    postpone documents till the next day. Next day normally shows
    whether the doc was necessary or not. In most cases: not.

    Reg's,

    Hans.

  15. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    ***Chip,

    Sorry, but I can't follow your thoughts in this case.

    Kids are to learn spelling at school, faced & controlled by a
    teacher, aren't they?***

    Only initially. Face it, not all spelling is learned in school. What is more,
    at least in America, spelling is not taught properly for all children. People
    without good English skills can use an English spell checker too.

    *** And students who can't spell should
    re-consider if their decision to study was the right one.***

    Not so, many people are self taught and most adults continue to learn that way
    throughout life. What is more, weak spelling skills can be improved as an
    adult so a spell checker is useful. Does one learn all there is to know about
    writing and understanding a language in school? No. Not to mention simple
    typing errors.

    ***Somebody who's tired should stay away from the screen, and should
    postpone documents till the next day. Next day normally shows
    whether the doc was necessary or not. In most cases: not.***

    Time does not always permit...

    ***Reg's,

    Hans.
    ***

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  16. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***Chip,
    >
    > Sorry, but I can't follow your thoughts in this case.
    >
    > Kids are to learn spelling at school, faced & controlled by a
    > teacher, aren't they?***
    >
    > Only initially. Face it, not all spelling is learned in school. What is

    more,
    > at least in America, spelling is not taught properly for all children.

    People
    > without good English skills can use an English spell checker too.
    >
    > *** And students who can't spell should
    > re-consider if their decision to study was the right one.***
    >
    > Not so, many people are self taught and most adults continue to learn that

    way
    > throughout life. What is more, weak spelling skills can be improved as an
    > adult so a spell checker is useful. Does one learn all there is to know

    about
    > writing and understanding a language in school? No. Not to mention simple
    > typing errors.
    >
    > ***Somebody who's tired should stay away from the screen, and should
    > postpone documents till the next day. Next day normally shows
    > whether the doc was necessary or not. In most cases: not.***
    >
    > Time does not always permit...
    >
    > ***Reg's,
    >
    > Hans.
    > ***
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  17. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message
    > ***Chip,
    >
    > Sorry, but I can't follow your thoughts in this case.
    >
    > Kids are to learn spelling at school, faced & controlled by a
    > teacher, aren't they?***
    >
    > Only initially. Face it, not all spelling is learned in school. What is

    more,
    > at least in America, spelling is not taught properly for all children.

    People
    > without good English skills can use an English spell checker too.
    >
    > *** And students who can't spell should
    > re-consider if their decision to study was the right one.***
    >
    > Not so, many people are self taught and most adults continue to learn that

    way
    > throughout life. What is more, weak spelling skills can be improved as an
    > adult so a spell checker is useful. Does one learn all there is to know

    about
    > writing and understanding a language in school? No. Not to mention simple
    > typing errors.
    >
    > ***Somebody who's tired should stay away from the screen, and should
    > postpone documents till the next day. Next day normally shows
    > whether the doc was necessary or not. In most cases: not.***
    >
    > Time does not always permit...
    >
    > ***Reg's,
    >
    > Hans.
    > ***
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  18. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    "C BLANK II" wrote in message

    > Not so, many people are self taught and most adults continue to learn that

    way
    > throughout life.
    > Chip Blank

    As evidenced by this sentence structure.

  19. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    << As evidenced by this sentence structure. >>

    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
    oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht frist and
    lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can
    sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
    ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe "

    Sounds like a "plan" for spam-contol software... :-)

    Ray

  20. Re: $189 spent and no spell checker..

    wow, for a minute there i this was one of my postings...

    Ray Kopczynski wrote:
    > << As evidenced by this sentence structure. >>
    >
    > "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
    > oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht frist and
    > lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can
    > sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
    > ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe "
    >
    > Sounds like a "plan" for spam-contol software... :-)
    >
    > Ray

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast