Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time - GEOS

This is a discussion on Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time - GEOS ; I was finally able to get NDO2000 to work with my cable modem. I had mentioned on this newsgroup a couple months ago that I was having trouble -- every time I thought I had set everything up properly and ...

  1. Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time

    I was finally able to get NDO2000 to work with my cable modem. I had mentioned
    on this newsgroup a couple months ago that I was having trouble -- every
    time I thought I had set everything up properly and started up NDO2000, it
    crashed on me.

    It looks like the problem was that NDO doesn't like DHCP very well. I had
    been setting the IP address to 0.0.0.0. If I actually plug in the IP address
    that the PC pulls from my local router via DHCP, then everything works just
    fine.

    Just thought I'd let everyone know.

    (Now if only we could get a version of SSH for NDO. :-)

    Doug Taylor
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu

  2. Re: Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time

    "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote in message

    > It looks like the problem was that NDO doesn't like DHCP very well.

    NO! AMAZING!!!

  3. Re: Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time

    Thanks for the report, Doug!!

    John ;-)

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    > I was finally able to get NDO2000 to work with my cable modem. I had mentioned
    > on this newsgroup a couple months ago that I was having trouble -- every
    > time I thought I had set everything up properly and started up NDO2000, it
    > crashed on me.
    >
    > It looks like the problem was that NDO doesn't like DHCP very well. I had
    > been setting the IP address to 0.0.0.0. If I actually plug in the IP address
    > that the PC pulls from my local router via DHCP, then everything works just
    > fine.
    >
    > Just thought I'd let everyone know.
    >
    > (Now if only we could get a version of SSH for NDO. :-)
    >
    > Doug Taylor
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu

  4. Re: Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time

    In article ,
    John Howard wrote:
    >Thanks for the report, Doug!!

    You're welcome. Just as an additional note, I had reset some other
    parameters as well, such as the gateway and the DSNs. So this morning I
    tried setting the IP back to 0.0.0.0 and it worked. Evidently the IP
    address wasn't the problem; it was all those other pesky parameters. Or
    using a router as my DHCP server instead of Roadrunner. Or something.

    That was on my laptop PC, BTW. No matter what I do, I *still* can't get
    NDO to work with the LAN card on my desktop PC. :-(
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  5. Re: Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time

    Hi Doug,

    What brand and kind of NIC (LAN-card) do you have in your desktop PC? In
    what way have you determined that it does not work? Sometimes I have noticed
    that NDO doesn't configure internet properly, the best thing to do is to
    configure for the modem connection at first and then switch to the NIC-based
    configuration and sometimes the browser gives an error message that it can
    not load the page, but when pressing the reload button, the page loads just
    fine.

    BR,
    Hans

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > In article ,
    > John Howard wrote:
    > >Thanks for the report, Doug!!

    > You're welcome. Just as an additional note, I had reset some other
    > parameters as well, such as the gateway and the DSNs. So this morning

    > tried setting the IP back to 0.0.0.0 and it worked. Evidently the IP
    > address wasn't the problem; it was all those other pesky parameters.

    Or
    > using a router as my DHCP server instead of Roadrunner. Or something.
    >
    > That was on my laptop PC, BTW. No matter what I do, I *still* can't get
    > NDO to work with the LAN card on my desktop PC. :-(
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  6. Re: Using NDO2000 NewsReader for the first time

    In article ,
    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    >Hi Doug,
    >
    >What brand and kind of NIC (LAN-card) do you have in your desktop PC?

    Ummm. I'll have to get back to you on that. I think it's an SMC
    something-or-other.

    >In
    >what way have you determined that it does not work?

    It crashes. When things aren't set up properly, I just get a connect
    error, but when LSL.COM and the ODI driver is loaded and everything
    looks OK, NDO crashes when I try to look at a web page.

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

+ Reply to Thread