Re: Cable modem and dial-up modem compatibility - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Cable modem and dial-up modem compatibility - GEOS ; Nope, as your internet access is using the tcp/ip socket and you fax modem is using the com port. However, you have to be careful, not to set up the modem for internet access. Go into the Preferences and set ...

  1. Re: Cable modem and dial-up modem compatibility

    Nope, as your internet access is using the tcp/ip socket and you fax modem
    is using the com port. However, you have to be careful, not to set up the
    modem for internet access. Go into the Preferences and set up the modem in
    the Modem module and set up fax in the faxing module, but KEEP AWAY from
    the Internet module. Maybe you need only to setup faxing in the faxing module.
    Faxing will only work in 3.2a, it is broken in 4.20.

    BR,
    Hans

    RCantrell wrote:

    > Should the presence of a cable modem prevent using a dial-up modem and

    phone
    > line for faxing out of 3.2a?
    >
    > The dial-up modem is on COM 2.
    >
    > I have both version 3.2a and 4.20 running on Win 98. My internet access

    is by
    > cable, so it has been a year since I have had to use my conventional modem.

    > moved just before starting to use the cable modem. Then 3 months ago I

    had
    > some trouble with my C drive so a professional tech swapped C drive with

    > drive. And everything has worked fine since then.
    >
    > Since then I have decided I want to use the enabled FAX-send feature of

    3.2a.
    > So I connected the conventional modem to the phone jack. .
    >
    > 4.20 showed, correctly, that COM 1 and COM 3 are both on IRQ 4, although

    they
    > used different addresses: O3F8-03FF for 1 and O3E8-O3EF for 3. But 3.2a

    would
    > not let me select 1 or 3 on any interrupt. I tried copying 3.2 from the

    present
    > D drive to the new C drive, but that did not make any difference. But

    4.20
    > showed the COM ports from the C drive as well as from the D drive.
    >
    > Since then I have run Turbocom and set up a virtual Com4 on IRQ 3. But

    when I
    > try to use FAX Receive, it drops down to Win98 and gives me the message

    that
    > another device is using the port. But the only thing on the port is the

    dial-up
    > modem.
    >
    > What is likely happening?
    >
    > Any suggestions or work around?
    >
    > Dick

  2. Re: Cable modem and dial-up modem compatibility

    Thanks, Hans.

    I have double checked everything.

    In Preferences\Computer The COM port which automatically shows up is 4, and the
    IRQ is 3, the one I set up with Turbocom for the modem which is actually on
    COM2. However the 3 has ? by it. If I change it to a simple 3 at once it drops
    to Win98 and I get this message:

    "This application's attempt to directly access the UART for COM4 has failed
    because the port is already in use or does not exist.

    The internet module is not setup.

    Before I started using the cable modem Turbocom's virtual port worked fine with
    this modem and 3.2a.

    I can't imagine what has happened?

    Dick

+ Reply to Thread