Who's on first? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Who's on first? - GEOS ; what if the enduser uses wordperfect office adn not ms office?? Bob wrote: > Hyubso. A programmer for Windows can also add a few lines of code and call > the Office spell checker. A spell checker is NOT part ...

  1. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Bob wrote:
    > Hyubso. A programmer for Windows can also add a few lines of code and call
    > the Office spell checker. A spell checker is NOT part of an OS. Nowhere in
    > any documentation, (of ANY OS), of services provided by an OS is spell
    > checking noted.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...
    >
    >>oh that is just terrible!! windwos does it much better.. geos cshould
    >>change adn be m ore like windows... don't you agree, pat and bobo???
    >>

    >>John Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Correct Holger. Any app using the text library can make use of the
    >>>system's spell checker. The programmer just has to add a few lines of
    >>>code.
    >>>
    >>>John ;-)

    > the

    > office

  2. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    a spell checker is a part of the geos OS adn really should be a part of
    every OS so that spell checking capabilities can be supplied to all
    apps that want to use it..

    windwos sucks... always has, always will

    Bob wrote:

    > Hyubso. A programmer for Windows can also add a few lines of code and call
    > the Office spell checker. A spell checker is NOT part of an OS. Nowhere in
    > any documentation, (of ANY OS), of services provided by an OS is spell
    > checking noted.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...
    >
    >>oh that is just terrible!! windwos does it much better.. geos cshould
    >>change adn be m ore like windows... don't you agree, pat and bobo???
    >>

    >>John Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Correct Holger. Any app using the text library can make use of the
    >>>system's spell checker. The programmer just has to add a few lines of
    >>>code.
    >>>
    >>>John ;-)

    > the

    > office

  3. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    As usual you have missed the point, (again). An OS by any definition does
    not provide spell checking. But to answer you inane question, as has already
    been pointed out to you, there are many free spell checkers.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:R3t6b.4834$oc5.1953@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > what if the enduser uses wordperfect office adn not ms office??
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > Hyubso. A programmer for Windows can also add a few lines of code and

    call
    > > the Office spell checker. A spell checker is NOT part of an OS. Nowhere

    in
    > > any documentation, (of ANY OS), of services provided by an OS is spell
    > > checking noted.
    > >
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > > news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...
    > >
    > >>oh that is just terrible!! windwos does it much better.. geos cshould
    > >>change adn be m ore like windows... don't you agree, pat and bobo???

    > > the

    > > office

  4. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:N5t6b.4836$oc5.2461@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > a spell checker is a part of the geos OS adn really should be a part of
    > every OS so that spell checking capabilities can be supplied to all
    > apps that want to use it..
    >

    > windwos sucks... always has, always will

    You are simply an idiot. But, I'm sure I'm not the 1st or last person to
    tell you this.

  5. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    You definitely have little awareness about how either system is designed. As
    for Windows XP/2000/2003 Server products, there is an extensible library of
    functions that dwarfs GEOS by a magnitude of light years. All you have to do
    is skim through the latest Visual Studio .NET manulas to understand this.
    You obviously are clueless and think GEOS is unique in its inclusion of
    libraries, function, et al. In fact, GEOS 3 for the desktop is based on an
    aging architecture that once served it proud but is now arthritic when it
    comes to keeping up with the competition. It may have a common spell
    checker, done many years ago, but it lacks so many things that it can't be
    considered seriously in the same breath that utters the words Operating
    System.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...
    > oh that is just terrible!! windwos does it much better.. geos cshould
    > change adn be m ore like windows... don't you agree, pat and bobo???
    >

    > John Howard wrote:
    > > Correct Holger. Any app using the text library can make use of the
    > > system's spell checker. The programmer just has to add a few lines of
    > > code.
    > >
    > > John ;-)
    > >
    > > Holger Laux wrote:

    the

    office

    > >> I am not a programmer, but as I understand it any function in GEOS is
    > >> systemwide, as long as a programmer chooses to include it into his
    > >> application (in this case: a spell check entry in the menu).
    > >>

    > >> Holger

  6. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Like I said, totally a zero. He can't fathom that all developers of modern
    apps for Windows that supports Windows XP, for example, make use of the same
    comphrensive libraries and function that Windows app programmers use. A call
    that Word uses to take advantage of a XP funtion can be used by WP
    developers and often is.

    Maybe Hyubso should take a look at the Direct X library where using
    DirectSho filters you can write a neat little video editor in a small amount
    of code that years ago would have reqyuired an army of coders. Just one
    simple example.

    Hyubso is just being classic Hyubso.

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > As usual you have missed the point, (again). An OS by any definition does
    > not provide spell checking. But to answer you inane question, as has

    already
    > been pointed out to you, there are many free spell checkers.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:R3t6b.4834$oc5.1953@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > > what if the enduser uses wordperfect office adn not ms office??
    > >

    > > Bob wrote:
    > > > Hyubso. A programmer for Windows can also add a few lines of code and

    > call
    > > > the Office spell checker. A spell checker is NOT part of an OS.

    Nowhere
    > in
    > > > any documentation, (of ANY OS), of services provided by an OS is spell
    > > > checking noted.
    > > >
    > > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > > > news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...

    cshould

    of

    with

    > > > the

    > > > office

    is

  7. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:N5t6b.4836$oc5.2461@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > a spell checker is a part of the geos OS adn really should be a part of
    > every OS so that spell checking capabilities can be supplied to all
    > apps that want to use it..

    Just opinon. Windows happens to have more apps that have proprietary spell
    checkers than any other OS in the world. It happens to be a selling point of
    WP and other Office third party apps. They would be upset if Microsoft
    monopolized features they consider selling points.

    As I posted to you a while back, its no deal to download a spell checker and
    I haven't heard any complaints except from you.

    Shall we start in on the list of things that GEOS lacks?

    It would be bigger than all the GEOS files, combined.

    ROTFL!

  8. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    I am beginning to think he's contriving all this pretend stupidity just to
    amuze himself. Clearly, how can anyone be that dumb?

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:N5t6b.4836$oc5.2461@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > > a spell checker is a part of the geos OS adn really should be a part of
    > > every OS so that spell checking capabilities can be supplied to all
    > > apps that want to use it..
    > >

    > > windwos sucks... always has, always will

    > You are simply an idiot. But, I'm sure I'm not the 1st or last person to
    > tell you this.

  9. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    an OS provides services for applications so each application does not
    have to "reinvent the wheel " for each service it wants to offer...

    this is a very simple concept.

    GEOS is an OS that DOES provide a spell checking service to its apps in
    additon to many other services such as printing services and video
    display services and access to disk drives, etc etc etc. GEOS takes
    "integration" to its ultimate design goal.. while MSFT's incomplete
    latest offerings are still patching together a mess of garbage, slowly
    but shirley heading in GEOS' direction.

    Bob wrote:
    > As usual you have missed the point, (again). An OS by any definition does
    > not provide spell checking. But to answer you inane question, as has already
    > been pointed out to you, there are many free spell checkers.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:R3t6b.4834$oc5.1953@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    >
    >>what if the enduser uses wordperfect office adn not ms office??
    >>

    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hyubso. A programmer for Windows can also add a few lines of code and

    > call
    >
    >>>the Office spell checker. A spell checker is NOT part of an OS. Nowhere

    > in
    >
    >>>any documentation, (of ANY OS), of services provided by an OS is spell
    >>>checking noted.
    >>>
    >>>"hyubso" wrote in message
    >>>news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...

    >>>the

    >>>office

  10. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    well i guess palm adn symbian aren't operating systems either by pat's
    standards..

    pat thinks an os is defined by important features like "bloat",
    inefficiency and wastefulness..

    Pat wrote:

    > You definitely have little awareness about how either system is designed. As
    > for Windows XP/2000/2003 Server products, there is an extensible library of
    > functions that dwarfs GEOS by a magnitude of light years. All you have to do
    > is skim through the latest Visual Studio .NET manulas to understand this.
    > You obviously are clueless and think GEOS is unique in its inclusion of
    > libraries, function, et al. In fact, GEOS 3 for the desktop is based on an
    > aging architecture that once served it proud but is now arthritic when it
    > comes to keeping up with the competition. It may have a common spell
    > checker, done many years ago, but it lacks so many things that it can't be
    > considered seriously in the same breath that utters the words Operating
    > System.
    >

    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...
    >
    >>oh that is just terrible!! windwos does it much better.. geos cshould
    >>change adn be m ore like windows... don't you agree, pat and bobo???
    >>

    >>John Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Correct Holger. Any app using the text library can make use of the
    >>>system's spell checker. The programmer just has to add a few lines of
    >>>code.
    >>>
    >>>John ;-)

    > the

    > office

  11. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Can Text Editor, (or whatever it is called), use the spell checker? It's
    been used since I wasted my time using GEOS so I can't remember. But if it
    can't then why?

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:_5B6b.5568$cU4.2234@newssvr32.news.prodigy.co m...
    > an OS provides services for applications so each application does not
    > have to "reinvent the wheel " for each service it wants to offer...
    >
    > this is a very simple concept.
    >

    > GEOS is an OS that DOES provide a spell checking service to its apps in
    > additon to many other services such as printing services and video
    > display services and access to disk drives, etc etc etc. GEOS takes
    > "integration" to its ultimate design goal.. while MSFT's incomplete
    > latest offerings are still patching together a mess of garbage, slowly
    > but shirley heading in GEOS' direction.
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > As usual you have missed the point, (again). An OS by any definition

    does
    > > not provide spell checking. But to answer you inane question, as has

    already
    > > been pointed out to you, there are many free spell checkers.
    > >
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > > news:R3t6b.4834$oc5.1953@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > >
    > >>what if the enduser uses wordperfect office adn not ms office??

    > > call

    > > in

    cshould

    of

    with

    is

  12. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Again your comments are so inane. Hyubso, your comments are actually
    embarrassing! Why do you keep it up when your replies show a total
    misunderstanding of (name the subject here).????

    What Windows has to offer is simply light years ahead of anything GEOS ever
    had or ever will have. Perhaps if you did Network Administration you may
    have a clue as to what I'm talking about. I would LOVE to have you by my
    side and have you setup and try to do even the most simplistic needs of a
    network administrator, servicing it's clients with GEOS! : - ) YOU'D BE
    FIRED IN 1 minute!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:_5B6b.5568$cU4.2234@newssvr32.news.prodigy.co m...
    > an OS provides services for applications so each application does not
    > have to "reinvent the wheel " for each service it wants to offer...
    >
    > this is a very simple concept.
    >

    > GEOS is an OS that DOES provide a spell checking service to its apps in
    > additon to many other services such as printing services and video
    > display services and access to disk drives, etc etc etc. GEOS takes
    > "integration" to its ultimate design goal.. while MSFT's incomplete
    > latest offerings are still patching together a mess of garbage, slowly
    > but shirley heading in GEOS' direction.
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > As usual you have missed the point, (again). An OS by any definition

    does
    > > not provide spell checking. But to answer you inane question, as has

    already
    > > been pointed out to you, there are many free spell checkers.
    > >
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > > news:R3t6b.4834$oc5.1953@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
    > >
    > >>what if the enduser uses wordperfect office adn not ms office??

    > > call

    > > in

    cshould

    of

    with

    is

  13. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Another example of your complete and utter biased opinion ruining any
    concept of logic.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:RcB6b.5569$RS4.3288@newssvr32.news.prodigy.co m...

    > pat thinks an os is defined by important features like "bloat",
    > inefficiency and wastefulness..

  14. Re: Inane sematics arguement

    Yes, Bob. It can, and does, and has since Ensemble 1.x.

    John ;-)

    Bob wrote:
    > Can Text Editor, (or whatever it is called), use the spell checker? It's
    > been used since I wasted my time using GEOS so I can't remember. But if it
    > can't then why?

  15. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    if windows is so great, so modern, so latest adn greattest and up to
    date and mainstream and non extremeist in nature, why do i get peoiple
    asking me to fix their outlook express spell checkers??

    Bob wrote:
    > Again your comments are so inane. Hyubso, your comments are actually
    > embarrassing! Why do you keep it up when your replies show a total
    > misunderstanding of (name the subject here).????
    >
    > What Windows has to offer is simply light years ahead of anything GEOS ever
    > had or ever will have. Perhaps if you did Network Administration you may
    > have a clue as to what I'm talking about. I would LOVE to have you by my
    > side and have you setup and try to do even the most simplistic needs of a
    > network administrator, servicing it's clients with GEOS! : - ) YOU'D BE
    > FIRED IN 1 minute!
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:_5B6b.5568$cU4.2234@newssvr32.news.prodigy.co m...
    >
    >>an OS provides services for applications so each application does not
    >>have to "reinvent the wheel " for each service it wants to offer...
    >>
    >>this is a very simple concept.
    >>

    >>GEOS is an OS that DOES provide a spell checking service to its apps in
    >>additon to many other services such as printing services and video
    >>display services and access to disk drives, etc etc etc. GEOS takes
    >>"integration" to its ultimate design goal.. while MSFT's incomplete
    >>latest offerings are still patching together a mess of garbage, slowly
    >>but shirley heading in GEOS' direction.
    >>

    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>As usual you have missed the point, (again). An OS by any definition

    > does
    >
    >>>not provide spell checking. But to answer you inane question, as has

    > already
    >
    >>>been pointed out to you, there are many free spell checkers.
    >>>
    >>>"hyubso" wrote in message
    >>>news:R3t6b.4834$oc5.1953@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...

    >>>call

    >>>in

    > cshould

    > of

    > with

    > is

  16. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:RcB6b.5569$RS4.3288@newssvr32.news.prodigy.co m...
    > well i guess palm adn symbian aren't operating systems either by pat's
    > standards..

    I was talking about DESKTOPS. A handheld is a completely different platform.
    However, any OS on any platform must have the ongoing development effort to
    maintain parity with the world around it. Lets face it, GEOS flunks that
    test. Under that microscope, Windows 98/ME are barely holding on by virtue
    of still getting system updates that allow it to run newer components, etc
    (ex. USB 2.0, Firewire extensions, et al). Also Direct X drivers, new IE
    releases, etc. Windows 3.x and Windows 95 are kind of like GEOS, caught in
    the cold after the door shut behind them.

    > pat thinks an os is defined by important features like "bloat",
    > inefficiency and wastefulness..

    What is bloat?

    Windows XP has many of lines of code and does more than any other single OS
    in the history of Computing Science. It does it using ideally 256MB of
    memory, that I would personally recommend for the minimum, even though 128MB
    is fine for many people. More memory depending on what apps you use. I would
    highly recommend a GByte of memory if you do heavy video processing. Ditto,
    for the Mac, Sun, and all other platforms that do hravy video processing.
    The same goes for GEOS if it could do heavy video processing.

    FLASH: Last month they were selling 256MB of memory for less than $40 at
    Micro Center. Circuit City always has deals like that, too.

    Who cares with memory at that price. Now 256MB, for $300, would be bloat on
    a 300 MHz PC. Not on a modern PC. NO BLOAT.

    Virtually ALL PCs are over 1GHz and those speeds just eat up all those
    Windows XP lines of code.

    Bottom Line: Its impossible and utterly ridiculous to think that you can
    tackle todays applications with an underpowered low end OS that uses next to
    nothing of memory and runs fast one a Pentium.

    It reminds me of those little model ace cars that are radio controlled and
    buzz around the parking lot of the local supermarket on a Sunday morning.

    A Toy!

    In summary, BLOAT is really an index relative to the cost of the resources
    that a computer system uses, relative to how successful the Operating System
    and applications are at working together for accomplishing contemporary
    computing assignments.

  17. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:KcJ6b.3906$da.2713@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...
    > if windows is so great, so modern, so latest adn greattest and up to
    > date and mainstream and non extremeist in nature, why do i get peoiple
    > asking me to fix their outlook express spell checkers??

    Because idiots hang around with idiots?

  18. Re: Inane sematics arguement

    "John Howard" wrote in message
    > Yes, Bob. It can, and does, and has since Ensemble 1.x.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    > > Can Text Editor, (or whatever it is called), use the spell checker? It's
    > > been used since I wasted my time using GEOS so I can't remember. But if

    it
    > > can't then why?

    WOW! SUPER! I'll bet ya now sales will BOOM!

  19. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    well GEOS works on desktops, handhelds, & cell phones, so because of
    this "limited usability", according to PAT, done all with just minor
    changes to the code and not major rewrites/hatchet jobs/reducitons in
    feature sets, GEOS is not a "REAL" OS.

    The reality is that GEOS is so advanced in design, so skillfully
    programmed, overflowing with quality in every line of code that other
    "REAL" OSs are still trying to catch up

    Pat wrote:
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > news:RcB6b.5569$RS4.3288@newssvr32.news.prodigy.co m...
    >
    >>well i guess palm adn symbian aren't operating systems either by pat's
    >>standards..

    > I was talking about DESKTOPS. A handheld is a completely different platform.
    > However, any OS on any platform must have the ongoing development effort to
    > maintain parity with the world around it. Lets face it, GEOS flunks that
    > test. Under that microscope, Windows 98/ME are barely holding on by virtue
    > of still getting system updates that allow it to run newer components, etc
    > (ex. USB 2.0, Firewire extensions, et al). Also Direct X drivers, new IE
    > releases, etc. Windows 3.x and Windows 95 are kind of like GEOS, caught in
    > the cold after the door shut behind them.
    >

    >>pat thinks an os is defined by important features like "bloat",
    >>inefficiency and wastefulness..
    >>

    > What is bloat?
    >
    > Windows XP has many of lines of code and does more than any other single OS
    > in the history of Computing Science. It does it using ideally 256MB of
    > memory, that I would personally recommend for the minimum, even though 128MB
    > is fine for many people. More memory depending on what apps you use. I would
    > highly recommend a GByte of memory if you do heavy video processing. Ditto,
    > for the Mac, Sun, and all other platforms that do hravy video processing.
    > The same goes for GEOS if it could do heavy video processing.
    >
    > FLASH: Last month they were selling 256MB of memory for less than $40 at
    > Micro Center. Circuit City always has deals like that, too.
    >
    > Who cares with memory at that price. Now 256MB, for $300, would be bloat on
    > a 300 MHz PC. Not on a modern PC. NO BLOAT.
    >
    > Virtually ALL PCs are over 1GHz and those speeds just eat up all those
    > Windows XP lines of code.
    >
    > Bottom Line: Its impossible and utterly ridiculous to think that you can
    > tackle todays applications with an underpowered low end OS that uses next to
    > nothing of memory and runs fast one a Pentium.
    >
    > It reminds me of those little model ace cars that are radio controlled and
    > buzz around the parking lot of the local supermarket on a Sunday morning.
    >
    > A Toy!
    >
    > In summary, BLOAT is really an index relative to the cost of the resources
    > that a computer system uses, relative to how successful the Operating System
    > and applications are at working together for accomplishing contemporary
    > computing assignments.

  20. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:KeV6b.5594$Vu7.3358@newssvr33.news.prodigy.co m...

    > The reality is that GEOS is so advanced in design, so skillfully
    > programmed, overflowing with quality in every line of code that other
    > "REAL" OSs are still trying to catch up

    OK now I know for sure you simply post the things you do to get a reaction.
    I was sure no one person could possibly be so mentality deficient. Know I
    know. Good job. At least now I know for sure I don't have to reply as your
    simply "pulling our legs" in the 1st place. It is good to know however that
    your not stupid, merely funny.