Who's on first? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Who's on first? - GEOS ; In news:Fmt5b.3037$Qk4.2@nwrdny03.gnilink.net, Pat wrote: | OK, one demerit for Windows. No free spell checker with the free O.E, | from Microsoft. Can we think of anything that Windows includes for | free that is not free in GEOS, or does ...

  1. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Pat wrote:
    | OK, one demerit for Windows. No free spell checker with the free O.E,
    | from Microsoft. Can we think of anything that Windows includes for
    | free that is not free in GEOS, or does not exist in GEOS, or will
    | probably never exist in GEOS until hell freezes over. Hmmmmmm?

    Did anybody point out that Win is an OS (Operating system; i.e., the
    stuff that makes the rest of the programs run) and not the actual suite?
    If they supplied a spell czech (sorry) for just an OS, it would be
    pretty wasteful, wouldn't it?

    Jest asking.

    Tom

  2. Re: Who's on first?

    Amazing - last week this thread started as a humorous post (well, *I*
    thought it was funny). Now it's degenerated into something completely,
    um, not funny. How does this stuff happen?

    Tom

    In news:qtw5b.345122$o%2.157838@sccrnsc02,
    Bob wrote:
    | Yeah, sure.
    |
    | "hyubso" wrote in message
    | news:kkw5b.4799$ea4.3373@newssvr32.news.prodigy.co m...
    || i don't.. i am too lazy, but for that last one i did, i just di not
    || correct teh mispellings.. or else no one would believe i wrote the
    || message!
    || Bob wrote:
    ||| Looking at your post it is painfully obvious you don't use a 'splel
    ||| checkr."
    ||| "hyubso" wrote in message
    ||| news:Pda5b.3532$Ke7.1461@newssvr33.news.prodigy.co m...

  3. Re: Who's on first?

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:08:09 GMT, "Tom Accuosti"
    wrote:

    >Amazing - last week this thread started as a humorous post (well, *I*
    >thought it was funny). Now it's degenerated into something completely,
    >um, not funny. How does this stuff happen?

    Actually, I still find it quite funny: The two people who shout the
    loudest that GEOS is dead are those who are keeping this group alive.
    Without them, it might really have gone down the drain by now.

    Well done, Bob and Pat, keep up the good work!

    Holger

  4. Re: Who's on first?

    Holgar, I can't believe you really think that......

    >Actually, I still find it quite funny: The two people who shout the
    >loudest that GEOS is dead are those who are keeping this group alive.
    >Without them, it might really have gone down the drain by now.

    Holgar, You've kidding. Or, that's the funniest post in this thread so far.

    >Well done, Bob and Pat, keep up the good work!

    NOT!!!!!!

    Marc

  5. Re: Who's on first?

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:08:09 GMT, "Tom Accuosti"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Amazing - last week this thread started as a humorous post (well, *I*
    > >thought it was funny). Now it's degenerated into something completely,
    > >um, not funny. How does this stuff happen?

    > Actually, I still find it quite funny: The two people who shout the
    > loudest that GEOS is dead are those who are keeping this group alive.
    > Without them, it might really have gone down the drain by now.
    >
    > Well done, Bob and Pat, keep up the good work!
    >

    > Holger

  6. Re: Who's on first?

    : - )

    "Marco10684" wrote in message
    > Holgar, I can't believe you really think that......
    >
    > >Actually, I still find it quite funny: The two people who shout the
    > >loudest that GEOS is dead are those who are keeping this group alive.
    > >Without them, it might really have gone down the drain by now.

    > Holgar, You've kidding. Or, that's the funniest post in this thread so

    far.

    > >Well done, Bob and Pat, keep up the good work!

    > NOT!!!!!!
    >
    > Marc

  7. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    On Thu, Sep 4, 2003 10:08 AM, Tom Accuosti
    wrote:
    >Did anybody point out that Win is an OS (Operating system; i.e., the
    >stuff that makes the rest of the programs run) and not the actual suite?
    >If they supplied a spell czech (sorry) for just an OS, it would be
    >pretty wasteful, wouldn't it?
    >
    >Jest asking.
    >
    >Tom

    Probably half and half on an included spell checker. The old Mac OS did
    not, but a system wide spell checker is part of OS X. I think all the Linux
    distributions include a spell checker. Be does not include a spell checker,
    but includes a dictionary.

    I do like the included system wide spell checkers over the individual
    application spell checkers because one ends up with only one personal
    dictionary.

    bill
    --
    \/\/i||i@^^ ()\/e

  8. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    news:szI5b.22551$EW1.7713@newsread1.news.atl.earth link.net...
    > In news:Fmt5b.3037$Qk4.2@nwrdny03.gnilink.net,

    > Did anybody point out that Win is an OS (Operating system; i.e., the
    > stuff that makes the rest of the programs run) and not the actual suite?
    > If they supplied a spell czech (sorry) for just an OS, it would be
    > pretty wasteful, wouldn't it?

    I agree. A spell checker is one of those functions that I consider more in
    the realm of an application enhancement. Besides, there are so many
    alternative spell checkers from a myriad of sources, for Windows, that they
    would not complement each other. Best to keep that in the domain of the
    Office products that the user decides upon. In retrospect, I think that
    Microsoft should have added a spell checker when few existed.

  9. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Let's not forget that New Deal left out the thesaurus in a version, (which I
    forget the # of), and IIRC the spell checker also.

    "William Ove" wrote in message
    > On Thu, Sep 4, 2003 10:08 AM, Tom Accuosti

    > wrote:
    > >Did anybody point out that Win is an OS (Operating system; i.e., the
    > >stuff that makes the rest of the programs run) and not the actual suite?
    > >If they supplied a spell czech (sorry) for just an OS, it would be
    > >pretty wasteful, wouldn't it?
    > >
    > >Jest asking.
    > >
    > >Tom
    > >

    > Probably half and half on an included spell checker. The old Mac OS did
    > not, but a system wide spell checker is part of OS X. I think all the

    Linux
    > distributions include a spell checker. Be does not include a spell

    checker,
    > but includes a dictionary.
    >
    > I do like the included system wide spell checkers over the individual
    > application spell checkers because one ends up with only one personal
    > dictionary.
    >
    > bill
    > --
    > \/\/i||i@^^ ()\/e

  10. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    > Did anybody point out that Win is an OS (Operating system; i.e., the
    > stuff that makes the rest of the programs run) and not the actual suite?
    > If they supplied a spell czech (sorry) for just an OS, it would be
    > pretty wasteful, wouldn't it?
    >
    > Jest asking.
    >
    > Tom

    hell no, it would be sm,art to supply a a spell check for the os.. that
    way the os can supply the speel check to any app that wants to make use
    of it, rather than forcing all apps to supply thier own spell checkers..

    that is the geos design phgilosophy.. which is more thorough and
    efficient than the windwos desgn philosophy

  11. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    the thesauraus and dictionary/spell chjeckers, if left out for economic
    reasonS like new deeaL ( IN DESPERATION, TRYING TO COST REDUCE ITS
    COSTLY, 3RD PARTY LICENSE FEE LOADED PRODUCT) AND MICOROSFT ( WHICH
    ALREADY HAD A BARE BONES ,MINIMAL, HARDLY ANY 3RD PARTY LICENSE FEE COST
    REDUCED PRODUCT -- ALL VERSIONS OF THE WINDOWS OS) DID, , cAn always be
    purchased, LIKE NEW DEAL OFFERED AND MICROSOFT OFFERS, BUT MICROSFT
    SPELL CHECKER IS ONLY GOOD FOR TEH FEW APPS DESIGNED OT MAKE USE OF IT,
    WHERE GEOS SPELL CHEKCER IS GOOD SYSTEMWIDE FOR ANY APP..

    FINALLY, WHEN YOU CLICK ON SPELL CHECK IN OUTLOOK EXPR3SS 5, IT SHOULD
    CLEARLY STATE YOU HAVE OT BUY A SPELL CHEKCER WHEN YOU CLICK ON THE
    SPELL CHECER,, RATHER THAN JUST FAIL TO WORK, LIKE THE SPELL CHEKCER
    BUTTON CURRENTLY DOES

    Bob wrote:

    > Let's not forget that New Deal left out the thesaurus in a version, (which I
    > forget the # of), and IIRC the spell checker also.
    >
    > "William Ove" wrote in message
    >
    >>On Thu, Sep 4, 2003 10:08 AM, Tom Accuosti

    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Did anybody point out that Win is an OS (Operating system; i.e., the
    >>>stuff that makes the rest of the programs run) and not the actual suite?
    >>>If they supplied a spell czech (sorry) for just an OS, it would be
    >>>pretty wasteful, wouldn't it?
    >>>
    >>>Jest asking.
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >>Probably half and half on an included spell checker. The old Mac OS did
    >>not, but a system wide spell checker is part of OS X. I think all the

    > Linux
    >
    >>distributions include a spell checker. Be does not include a spell

    > checker,
    >
    >>but includes a dictionary.
    >>
    >>I do like the included system wide spell checkers over the individual
    >>application spell checkers because one ends up with only one personal
    >>dictionary.
    >>
    >>bill
    >>--
    >>\/\/i||i@^^ ()\/e

  12. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    On Thu, Sep 4, 2003 7:58 PM, hyubso wrote:
    >hell no, it would be sm,art to supply a a spell check for the os.. that
    >way the os can supply the speel check to any app that wants to make use
    >of it, rather than forcing all apps to supply thier own spell checkers..
    >
    >that is the geos design phgilosophy.. which is more thorough and
    >efficient than the windwos desgn philosophy

    Does the GEOS spell checker work with all GEOS applications or only those
    applications that are supplied with GEOS? I do not have any third party
    applications to try out.

    I guess I am wondering whether GEOS has a system wide spell checker because
    of the OS design or whether the GEOS spell checker simply works with the
    GEOS suite of applications. GEOS is an operating system that comes bundled
    with an Office suite, while Windows does not come bundled with an office
    suite.

    bill
    --
    \/\/i||i@^^ ()\/e

  13. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    well, i just fired up ndo2000 to briefly check, adn I see the newmail
    app has a spell chekcer.. so maybe those nice newmail programmers can
    explain whether newmail has its own specially designed spell chekcer
    modules or uses those supplied by the system software..

    i really don't knwo all this stuff as i was only briefly dabbled in geos
    programming SDK way back in 1994..

    like pat and bob always say, i am always wrong...

    William Ove wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 4, 2003 7:58 PM, hyubso wrote:
    >
    >>hell no, it would be sm,art to supply a a spell check for the os.. that
    >>way the os can supply the speel check to any app that wants to make use
    >>of it, rather than forcing all apps to supply thier own spell checkers..
    >>
    >>that is the geos design phgilosophy.. which is more thorough and
    >>efficient than the windwos desgn philosophy
    >>

    > Does the GEOS spell checker work with all GEOS applications or only those
    > applications that are supplied with GEOS? I do not have any third party
    > applications to try out.
    >
    > I guess I am wondering whether GEOS has a system wide spell checker because
    > of the OS design or whether the GEOS spell checker simply works with the
    > GEOS suite of applications. GEOS is an operating system that comes bundled
    > with an Office suite, while Windows does not come bundled with an office
    > suite.
    >
    > bill

  14. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    On 4 Sep 2003 21:25:02 -0500, "William Ove" wrote:

    >I guess I am wondering whether GEOS has a system wide spell checker because
    >of the OS design or whether the GEOS spell checker simply works with the
    >GEOS suite of applications. GEOS is an operating system that comes bundled
    >with an Office suite, while Windows does not come bundled with an office
    >suite.

    I am not a programmer, but as I understand it any function in GEOS is
    systemwide, as long as a programmer chooses to include it into his
    application (in this case: a spell check entry in the menu).

    Holger

  15. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Correct Holger. Any app using the text library can make use of the
    system's spell checker. The programmer just has to add a few lines of code.

    John ;-)

    Holger Laux wrote:
    > On 4 Sep 2003 21:25:02 -0500, "William Ove" wrote:
    >

    >>I guess I am wondering whether GEOS has a system wide spell checker because
    >>of the OS design or whether the GEOS spell checker simply works with the
    >>GEOS suite of applications. GEOS is an operating system that comes bundled
    >>with an Office suite, while Windows does not come bundled with an office
    >>suite.

    > I am not a programmer, but as I understand it any function in GEOS is
    > systemwide, as long as a programmer chooses to include it into his
    > application (in this case: a spell check entry in the menu).
    >

    > Holger

  16. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    > applications to try out.
    >
    > I guess I am wondering whether GEOS has a system wide spell checker

    because
    > of the OS design or whether the GEOS spell checker simply works with the
    > GEOS suite of applications. GEOS is an operating system that comes bundled
    > with an Office suite, while Windows does not come bundled with an office
    > suite.
    >
    > bill
    > --
    > \/\/i||i@^^ ()\/e

    Don't use logic like that with Hyubso!

  17. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    news:NLV5b.4862$lU5.3404@newssvr33.news.prodigy.co m...
    > like pat and bob always say, i am always wrong...

    Well not always. Your correct in the above statement.

  18. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompe

    Another kind (NOT) observation from Bob. ... Gets tiring.

  19. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings fromthe incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    oh that is just terrible!! windwos does it much better.. geos cshould
    change adn be m ore like windows... don't you agree, pat and bobo???

    John Howard wrote:
    > Correct Holger. Any app using the text library can make use of the
    > system's spell checker. The programmer just has to add a few lines of
    > code.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > Holger Laux wrote:
    >
    >> On 4 Sep 2003 21:25:02 -0500, "William Ove" wrote:
    >>

    >>> I guess I am wondering whether GEOS has a system wide spell checker
    >>> because
    >>> of the OS design or whether the GEOS spell checker simply works with the
    >>> GEOS suite of applications. GEOS is an operating system that comes
    >>> bundled
    >>> with an Office suite, while Windows does not come bundled with an office
    >>> suite.

    >> I am not a programmer, but as I understand it any function in GEOS is
    >> systemwide, as long as a programmer chooses to include it into his
    >> application (in this case: a spell check entry in the menu).
    >>

    >> Holger

  20. Re: Who's on first? FREE OE Spell Checker and other ramblings from the incompetent mind of Hyubso! (D'OH!)

    Hyubso. A programmer for Windows can also add a few lines of code and call
    the Office spell checker. A spell checker is NOT part of an OS. Nowhere in
    any documentation, (of ANY OS), of services provided by an OS is spell
    checking noted.

    news:2a96b.3608$5z1.683@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com ...