Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS - GEOS ; Well, I can see some sense in a shell for a DOS-MP3 player. It could be some sort of JukeBox application (for parties etc...). The idea is to have the NB app display the MP3's with their ID3 tags, create ...

  1. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    Well, I can see some sense in a shell for a DOS-MP3 player. It could
    be some sort of JukeBox application (for parties etc...). The idea is
    to have the NB app display the MP3's with their ID3 tags, create the
    playlist and then shell out to DOS. The command line player should be
    "scriptable" so that it can either play a playlist created by the NB
    app (text-file) or the NB app creates a .BAT file which calls the MP3
    player for every file in the playlist...

    There are only two problems with that:
    1. NewBasic does not support parsing thru a directory tree and getting
    a list of files
    2. NewBasic does not allow shelling out to DOS, there is no command
    for that :-)

    At least not out of the Box. I once wrote a NewBasic component for
    both (and more) problems like these but it was never released
    officially.

    Bye,
    MeyerK

  2. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    MeyerK schrieb:

    > There are only two problems with that:
    > 1. NewBasic does not support parsing thru a directory tree and getting
    > a list of files
    > 2. NewBasic does not allow shelling out to DOS, there is no command
    > for that :-)
    >
    > At least not out of the Box. I once wrote a NewBasic component for
    > both (and more) problems like these but it was never released
    > officially.

    Time to do it now

    Grossibaer
    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  3. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    Well, this was my idea. Thanks to you for putting it such an elegant way.
    The front-end was more of a quick latch-up, of course I would like to see
    a geniune GEOS Media player capable of playing more formats than MP3, but
    that is not the current situation. But since Newbasic apps can't shell out
    to DOS, the idea is about to be scrapped.

    BR,
    Hans

    MeyerK wrote:
    > Well, I can see some sense in a shell for a DOS-MP3 player. It could
    > be some sort of JukeBox application (for parties etc...). The idea is
    > to have the NB app display the MP3's with their ID3 tags, create the
    > playlist and then shell out to DOS. The command line player should be
    > "scriptable" so that it can either play a playlist created by the NB
    > app (text-file) or the NB app creates a .BAT file which calls the MP3
    > player for every file in the playlist...
    >
    > There are only two problems with that:
    > 1. NewBasic does not support parsing thru a directory tree and getting
    > a list of files
    > 2. NewBasic does not allow shelling out to DOS, there is no command
    > for that :-)
    >
    > At least not out of the Box. I once wrote a NewBasic component for
    > both (and more) problems like these but it was never released
    > officially.
    >
    > Bye,
    > MeyerK

+ Reply to Thread