Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS - GEOS

This is a discussion on Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS - GEOS ; Here is a link to "MP3 mecca": HTTP://home.nownuri.net/~feburary/player.htm Here you can download the free aEgis MP3-player for DOS. It consists of both a Pentium and 486 version, read the mp3.nfo file in the archive for more info. It is still ...

  1. Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    Here is a link to "MP3 mecca": HTTP://home.nownuri.net/~feburary/player.htm
    Here you can download the free aEgis MP3-player for DOS. It consists of both
    a Pentium and 486 version, read the mp3.nfo file in the archive for more
    info. It is still in a beta version, but works well.

    This MP3-player can be used by creating a laucher in GEOS, but it is a bit
    clumpsy dealing with MP3:s in this way. Is it possible to create a NewBasic
    front-end for the aEgis MP3-player, or any command-line MP3 player? A front-end
    that can read the Windows LFN from the MP3-file, or is this necessary linked
    to the filesystem drivers in GEOS?

    I am willing to participate in such a project, but I am not a programmer,
    just an engineer used to error tracking and beta testing.

    One can ROTFL to my request, BUT since there is no MP3-player in GEOS, I
    think it is better to have a DOS player with a GEOS front-end that can only
    play one file at the time, than no MP3-player at all (in GEOS).

    BR,
    Hans

  2. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.2003810010205422944@news1.teli a.com...

    > One can ROTFL to my request, BUT since there is no MP3-player in GEOS, I
    > think it is better to have a DOS player with a GEOS front-end that can

    only
    > play one file at the time, than no MP3-player at all (in GEOS).
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans

    Hi hear you man,

    The sad thing about all of this is "Project Gutenberg" is
    currently releasing "free" titles in PDF and MP3 format.

    http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/newsletter/index.html

    Regards,

    Byron Collins
    List Moderator, Geos-Talk E-list
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/geos-talk

  3. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    Byron Collins wrote:

    > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > news:NewsReader.1.0.2003810010205422944@news1.teli a.com...
    > >
    > > One can ROTFL to my request, BUT since there is no MP3-player in GEOS,

    > > think it is better to have a DOS player with a GEOS front-end that can

    > only
    > > play one file at the time, than no MP3-player at all (in GEOS).
    > >
    > > BR,
    > > Hans
    > >

    > Hi hear you man,
    >
    > The sad thing about all of this is "Project Gutenberg" is
    > currently releasing "free" titles in PDF and MP3 format.
    >
    > http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/newsletter/index.html

    Yep, agree with you!

    BR,
    Hans

  4. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    "Thomas L. Christensen" schrieb:

    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:13:54 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    > wrote:
    >
    > >One can ROTFL to my request, BUT since there is no MP3-player in GEOS, I
    > >think it is better to have a DOS player with a GEOS front-end that can only
    > >play one file at the time, than no MP3-player at all (in GEOS).
    > >

    > I don't see the point. A front-end will not make a DOS player run
    > under GEOS - the player will have to swap out to DOS while playing and
    > then back to GEOS when the song ends.

    I dimly remember experimenting with the PMP (Protected Mode Player),
    which was not an MP3, but a MOD file player, but which worked in the
    background in protected mode.
    IIRC, I was able to start it before launching GEOS and then hearing
    music while GEOS was running. And using DR-DOS, I didn't have to shut
    GEOS down to add another song to the playlist. I admit that this
    configuration wasn't too stable, but it worked.
    (Running a DOS fax software in the background worked well too - and
    stable)
    This _should_ be possible with an MP3 player too.

    > All the front-end would do is
    > act as a fileselector - a launcher could do the same job. Okay, maybe
    > it could make some kind of playlist - but still, the player would have
    > to swap back to GEOS to read the list and then swap back to DOS to
    > play the song... Not very elegant...

    Well, with a player running outside GEOS, the interface could be
    established online, without any swapping.
    You can interface with DOS drivers in GEOS, so why not with a TSR
    player?

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  5. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    "Thomas L. Christensen" schrieb:

    > >I dimly remember experimenting with the PMP (Protected Mode Player),
    > >which was not an MP3, but a MOD file player, but which worked in the
    > >background in protected mode.

    > Background? Like a TSR?

    Yep.

    > >IIRC, I was able to start it before launching GEOS and then hearing
    > >music while GEOS was running. And using DR-DOS, I didn't have to shut
    > >GEOS down to add another song to the playlist.

    > Because you could switch task?

    I launched PMP before loading the Task Switcher (using DR-Dos 6.0), so
    it was in every 'task' and not switched out.
    The commandline interface could interact with the TSR-Part from any
    TaskMax task and GEOS would simply switch to a console if I wanted to
    manipulate the playlist.

    > BTW - just currious, not related to GEOS, how well does the
    > multitasking in DR-DOS works? I'm not talking about the
    > task-switching, but the multitasking. Can I have a plain real mode DOS
    > MP3-player and, say, a text-editor running at the same time?

    I never really tried. I know htat you can format a disk in the
    background, but maybe for an MP3 player the timing is essential, so
    chances are that the multitasking sheduler will make the music being
    chopped.

    > >Well, with a player running outside GEOS, the interface could be
    > >established online, without any swapping.
    > >You can interface with DOS drivers in GEOS, so why not with a TSR
    > >player?

    > Interesting. I didn't think about that. But hey, IS it possible to
    > make a TSR MP3 player? If it's possible to make a DOS TSR (real mode?)
    > MP3-player, and still have ressources/memory to have a GEOS front-end
    > running, then what is the problem making a native GEOS MP3-player?

    Actually, this isn't such a big problem. GEOS won't touch ressources
    that are already used. The player needs to reserve its required memory
    in a whole when started (as GEOS will take the rest when startet), but
    then... why not? At least the 16 bit GEOS can be cooperative with any
    other software in the background. This is why it works under OS/2 or
    Windoze. A 32 bit version would be more difficult as there can only be
    one master.
    Unless you're simulating a processor under the 'real' master OS

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  6. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:09:10 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    wrote:

    >Well, I have tried a bunch of DOS MP3-players, and still I think the aEgis
    >is the best one, for several reasons. It is very simple to use. Small and
    >fast memorywise. Everything is included in the player, no need for extra
    >dpmi-driver to be loaded. There is a 486 version included.

    Have you trid MPXPLAY ?

    Holger

  7. Re: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS

    Holger Laux wrote:

    > Have you trid MPXPLAY ?

    Yep, I have but I could not give you a review, as I can't remember which
    one it was. I will try it again, and see why I have dumped it.

    BR,
    Hans

  8. OT: broken Link? (was: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS)

    > Hans Lindgren spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Holger Laux wrote:
    > >
    > >> Have you trid MPXPLAY ?

    > >Yep, I have but I could not give you a review, as I can't remember which
    > >one it was. I will try it again, and see why I have dumped it.

    Hans, your posts are still invisible for Edward Nijs and me (we only see
    the responses of others), so what did you do to your provider?
    I sent you an email yesterday and got a warning (not a final failure
    notice, yet) that it was undeliverable (connection refused by one of the
    mail servers in the chain) for over 5 hours.

    Looks that tehre's something wrong with you provider or the routing.
    Can you send ME an email or does it not work too? Please test it.

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

  9. Re: OT: broken Link? (was: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS)

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:11:19 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross
    wrote:

    >Hans, your posts are still invisible for Edward Nijs and me (we only see
    >the responses of others), so what did you do to your provider?

    I also had problems not getting mesages from Hans. But it was when I
    used a german newsfeed, and after I switched to a danish newsfeed
    again, I have had no problems.

    >I sent you an email yesterday and got a warning

    Don't think I have had that problem.

    CC to hans just to test it...

    --
    Thomas L. Christensen

  10. Re: OT: broken Link? (was: Good DOS MP3-player to be used withGEOS)

    >I also had problems not getting mesages from Hans. But it was when I
    >used a german newsfeed, and after I switched to a danish newsfeed
    >again, I have had no problems.
    >

    >>I sent you an email yesterday and got a warning

    >Don't think I have had that problem.
    >
    >CC to hans just to test it...

    I have had problems from time to time seeing messages. I would get the
    header, but no body would show up. In my case the problem seems to come
    from messages that do not explicitly state the character set or encoding
    that is used in the message.

    In the case of my news reader, it is necessary to have the character set or
    encoding stated in the header or the reader will just ignore the message.

    bill
    --
    \/\/i||i@^^ ()\/e

  11. Re: OT: broken Link? (was: Good DOS MP3-player to be used with GEOS)

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:22:42 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    wrote:

    >Hi Thomas,
    >
    >I got your e-mail, and it works ok, what I can see. I have replied to it,
    >too. Maybe there is a problem with a server in the newsfeed in germany or
    >continental europe? Maybe the MS-Blaster worm have created problems?

    Well, I only emailed you because Jens' said he had problems sending
    mails to you. But you DO have a problem with your ISP or something.
    Some newsfeeds - including News.CIS.DFN.DE, and the one Jens and
    Edward use - don't get all your messages.

    --
    Thomas L. Christensen

+ Reply to Thread