Re: Off-topic question - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Off-topic question - GEOS ; Well, most spyware can install itself perfectly well without any administrator rights. Gator distributes a cute little calendar that does this. This calendar is probably written with how to get around NT security in mind and use as a crowbar ...

  1. Re: Off-topic question

    Well, most spyware can install itself perfectly well without any administrator
    rights. Gator distributes a cute little calendar that does this. This calendar
    is probably written with how to get around NT security in mind and use as
    a crowbar to break into the computer. I have plenty of examples of it, but
    to remove it you have to have administrator rights. Internet Explorer have
    many loop holes that is used by Gator and their likes. That is why I use
    either Netscape/Mozilla in the first place and then IE if Netscape/Mozilla
    fails, when browsing on a Windows computer. Netscape/Mozilla have blocking
    of popup ads as a feature, I have not seen that feature in IE yet. By using
    both Netscape/Mozilla and this feature the number of attacs have lowered
    significantly, but still I have to use Ad-Aware to clear the rest of the
    crap generated. This is how I have dealt with this problem.

    The simplest way to solve Holger's problems is to login with administrator
    priveliges, install and run Ad-Aware, but since this computer seems to be
    used professionally, a license of Ad-Aware is required to be legal, maybe
    one can claim this to be a try out, and use it for free, just one time, I
    have no clue. Then using any automated tool to clean the registry, I would
    recommend this: http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm
    Of course, there will also be needed to run a good anti-virus software,
    like Norton, McAffe, or the free one fro personal use from http://www.grisoft.de

    If this wil not help, I think manual editing of the registry is the only
    way, maybe with the help of browsing the internet using any good search tool,
    like Google or Alltheweb to see if anyboday else would have had a similar
    problem. Maybe a check with the Micorsoft Technet would help, too at http://www.microsoft.com/technet
    in the left column choose "troubleshooting and support". Then in the right
    choose "search the knowledge base"

    I wish Holger luck with this, and I am sorry that I was too breif in the
    first posting!

    BR,
    Hans

    Bob wrote:
    > Not a virus. "about:blank" is simply IE opening up to no predetermined

    URL.
    > Sounds like you installed "something" that also installs some sort of
    > "spyware." Something newbies do all the time. You'll need to remove the

    app
    > or whatever. If your NT box is setup correctly and you don't have admin
    > privileges, you shouldn't have been able to install anyways. I'll bet

    your
    > network admin can solve your "problem" is a heartbeat if he/she is
    > competent.
    >
    > "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but
    > > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    > >
    > > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank" and
    > > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    > >
    > > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > > administrator's privileges. :-((
    > >
    > > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    > >

    > > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.
    > >

    > > Holger

  2. Re: Off-topic question

    Sorry for some typos, wrote the posting in a hurry......

    BR,
    Hans

    Hans Lindgren wrote:

> [...]

    > > privileges, you shouldn't have been able to install anyways. I'll bet

    > your
    > > network admin can solve your "problem" is a heartbeat if he/she is
    > > competent.
    > >
    > > "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > > > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer,

    but
    > > > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    > > >
    > > > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank"

    and
    > > > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    > > >
    > > > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > > > administrator's privileges. :-((
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    > > >

    > > > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > > > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.

  3. Re: Off-topic question

    Hans Lindgren wrote in message news:...
    > Sorry for some typos, wrote the posting in a hurry......

    Well, and I am sorry that I none of my replies turned up here. It
    looks like our news server is down.

    Using Google in the meantime...

    Holger

  4. Re: Off-topic question

    Holger schrieb:

    > Hans Lindgren wrote in message news:...
    > > Sorry for some typos, wrote the posting in a hurry......

    > Well, and I am sorry that I none of my replies turned up here. It
    > looks like our news server is down.
    >
    > Using Google in the meantime...
    >
    > Holger

    Well, neither Edward Nijs nor I can see Hans' articles. I'm not sure
    about your older ones.
    There seems to be a broken link in the newsfeeds.

    Grossibaer

    --
    Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
    they are not.

+ Reply to Thread