Off-topic question - GEOS

This is a discussion on Off-topic question - GEOS ; I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but cannot find it with my virus checker. From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about :blank" and the more often this happens, the more ...

  1. Off-topic question

    I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but
    cannot find it with my virus checker.

    From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank" and
    the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.

    This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    administrator's privileges. :-((

    Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?

    Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.

    Holger

  2. Re: Off-topic question

    Hmm, well it doesn't sound as a virus to me, rather as some sort of spyware,
    or it's remainings.....or some problems with your registry.
    You will need to be administrator to fix it, in either case, I think. I
    recommend that you install a spyware remover like Lavasofts Ad-Aware or similar,
    to check and eventually remove any spyware, like for example Gator.

    BR,
    Hans

    Holger Laux wrote:

    > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but
    > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    >
    > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank" and
    > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    >
    > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > administrator's privileges. :-((
    >
    > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    >

    > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.
    >

    > Holger

  3. Re: Off-topic question

    Not a virus. "about:blank" is simply IE opening up to no predetermined URL.
    Sounds like you installed "something" that also installs some sort of
    "spyware." Something newbies do all the time. You'll need to remove the app
    or whatever. If your NT box is setup correctly and you don't have admin
    privileges, you shouldn't have been able to install anyways. I'll bet your
    network admin can solve your "problem" is a heartbeat if he/she is
    competent.

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but
    > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    >
    > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank" and
    > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    >
    > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > administrator's privileges. :-((
    >
    > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    >

    > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.
    >

    > Holger

  4. Re: Off-topic question

    Hans,

    Just download the latest ADAWARE 6.0, its free. There are otherSpyware
    programs but the new ADAWARE 6.0 interface is very nice, it has the ability
    to get signature file updates for new spyware software detection, and its
    simple and intuitive to use.

    http://www.downloadfree.us/page4.shtml

    "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.200387423595123024@news1.telia .com...
    > Hmm, well it doesn't sound as a virus to me, rather as some sort of

    spyware,
    > or it's remainings.....or some problems with your registry.
    > You will need to be administrator to fix it, in either case, I think. I
    > recommend that you install a spyware remover like Lavasofts Ad-Aware or

    similar,
    > to check and eventually remove any spyware, like for example Gator.
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > Holger Laux wrote:
    > >
    > > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but
    > > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    > >
    > > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank" and
    > > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    > >
    > > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > > administrator's privileges. :-((
    > >
    > > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    > >

    > > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.
    > >

    > > Holger

  5. Re: Off-topic question

    Howdy,

    Your browser may have been "hijacked". Ad-aware will fix most, it did for my
    laptop and IE 6.

    Also check out Pop-Up Stopper it's free and works pretty good.

    https://www.panicware.com

    Jim

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Not a virus. "about:blank" is simply IE opening up to no predetermined

    URL.
    > Sounds like you installed "something" that also installs some sort of
    > "spyware." Something newbies do all the time. You'll need to remove the

    app
    > or whatever. If your NT box is setup correctly and you don't have admin
    > privileges, you shouldn't have been able to install anyways. I'll bet your
    > network admin can solve your "problem" is a heartbeat if he/she is
    > competent.
    >
    > "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but
    > > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    > >
    > > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank" and
    > > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    > >
    > > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > > administrator's privileges. :-((
    > >
    > > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    > >

    > > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.
    > >

    > > Holger

  6. Re: Off-topic question

    So many of these . This one is making the Editor's Choice on PC magazines
    and web sites.

    http://www.popupcop.com/

    "James Lawrie" wrote in message
    news:2SDYa.1980$M6.145217@newsread1.prod.itd.earth link.net...
    > Howdy,
    >
    > Your browser may have been "hijacked". Ad-aware will fix most, it did for

    my
    > laptop and IE 6.
    >
    > Also check out Pop-Up Stopper it's free and works pretty good.
    >
    > https://www.panicware.com
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > Not a virus. "about:blank" is simply IE opening up to no predetermined

    > URL.
    > > Sounds like you installed "something" that also installs some sort of
    > > "spyware." Something newbies do all the time. You'll need to remove the

    > app
    > > or whatever. If your NT box is setup correctly and you don't have admin
    > > privileges, you shouldn't have been able to install anyways. I'll bet

    your
    > > network admin can solve your "problem" is a heartbeat if he/she is
    > > competent.
    > >
    > > "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > > > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer, but
    > > > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    > > >
    > > > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank" and
    > > > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    > > >
    > > > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > > > administrator's privileges. :-((
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    > > >

    > > > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > > > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.
    > > >

    > > > Holger

  7. Re: Off-topic question

    Yep, Ad-Aware is free for personal use, but hardly not on a business PC
    or used at work, there you have to pay. That is why I suggested it as one
    among others to Holger Laux, who initially asked. I have used Ad-Aware since
    a very long time ago, it works well, but what would you expect, since it
    is a swedish quality software.

    Hans

    Pat wrote:
    > Hans,
    >
    > Just download the latest ADAWARE 6.0, its free. There are otherSpyware
    > programs but the new ADAWARE 6.0 interface is very nice, it has the ability
    > to get signature file updates for new spyware software detection, and

    its
    > simple and intuitive to use.
    >
    > http://www.downloadfree.us/page4.shtml
    >

    > "Hans Lindgren" wrote in message
    > news:NewsReader.1.0.200387423595123024@news1.telia .com...
    > > Hmm, well it doesn't sound as a virus to me, rather as some sort of

    > spyware,
    > > or it's remainings.....or some problems with your registry.
    > > You will need to be administrator to fix it, in either case, I think.

    > > recommend that you install a spyware remover like Lavasofts Ad-Aware

    or
    > similar,
    > > to check and eventually remove any spyware, like for example Gator.
    > >
    > > BR,
    > > Hans
    > >
    > > Holger Laux wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I must have caught some sort of virus affecting Internet Explorer,

    but
    > > > cannot find it with my virus checker.
    > > >
    > > > From time to time it pops up an extra window called "about:blank"

    and
    > > > the more often this happens, the more it slows my computer down.
    > > >
    > > > This is my office machine running Windows NT4 and I do not have
    > > > administrator's privileges. :-((
    > > >
    > > > Can somebody tell me please how to get rid of this?
    > > >

    > > > Sorry to be off-topic, but I rather ask in this group where I am a
    > > > regular anyway than butt in somewhere else as a stranger.
    > > >

    > > > Holger

+ Reply to Thread