NewBasic FUnction Library - GEOS

This is a discussion on NewBasic FUnction Library - GEOS ; Is anyone around (besides me) still playing with NewBasic at all? If so, would any of you be interested in a grass roots effort aimed at creating a complete library of functions? By complete, I'm generally suggesting an implementation of ...

  1. NewBasic FUnction Library

    Is anyone around (besides me) still playing with NewBasic at all?

    If so, would any of you be interested in a grass roots effort aimed at creating
    a complete library of functions? By complete, I'm generally suggesting an
    implementation of all (at least all that make sense) of the functions available
    elsewhere in GEOS (Calc, File, system, etc).

    I think that NewBasic has been branded with a bad rep for its many limitations,
    but in spite these limits, it can still be used to do some pretty useful stuff
    .... especially if you get any satisfaction from creating your own programs. I
    have always found though that even on simple projects, I tend to spend a fair
    amount of time writing code for stuff that one would often expect to be handled
    via a simple function call. Given more functions, simple projects would really
    be simple.

    I actually started a solo private effort toward a library last fall, but got
    side tracked way before completion by a host of other time demanding
    activities. I think I'm ready to get back to it. Most of what I have done (and
    will be doing) isn't very fancy and is just a series of quick and dirty beta
    implementations. The code is kind of ugly, but they work. I figure that over
    time I'll eventually get around to cleaning them up. The real beauty of
    functions is that no matter how ugly they internally, they are cool if they
    reliably return the desired results.

    So ... s anyone else interested in a community effort? An exchange of ideas
    would no doubt speed up the evolutionary code cleanup process too. Either way
    (solo or community effort), I'll try to post what I have on TVA Katter in the
    next couple of weeks.

    Being the hopeless optimist that I am, I'm kind of hoping that if there is some
    programing activity in the user ranks, maybe the gurus will be able to justify
    making some system level improvements to NewBasic (like maybe printing). Of
    course, I would not want to distract them from any ongoing work on a next
    generation (PM and/or 32-bit) version of GEOS.

    Ray Washington

  2. Re: NewBasic FUnction Library

    rayw20@aol.com (RayW20) wrote in

    > Is anyone around (besides me) still playing with NewBasic at all?
    >
    > If so, would any of you be interested in a grass roots effort aimed at

    I'm game! I wouldn't be of much help though, as I still haven't installed
    NewBasic yet, still need to read the manual and actually try making a few
    things. But I'd be more than happy to go through this while trying to help
    with what you might need.

    -Garrett

  3. Re: NewBasic FUnction Library

    On 31 Jul 2003 05:17:57 GMT, rayw20@aol.com (RayW20) wrote:

    >Is anyone around (besides me) still playing with NewBasic at all?

    I have, I know NB pretty well, but I am also a lousy programmer, so I
    don't know how much help I can be. But I have the time to help
    (unemployed again again again), so feel free to contact me.

    --
    Thomas L. Christensen

  4. Re: NewBasic FUnction Library

    Hi Ray,

    Back In '98 I wrote a variation of HomeBase (the Breadbox databas app)
    that is especailly designed to hold code snippets and small library
    routines. Dirk Haase was the motivating force behind the app and
    provided a file of some 20 small NewBASIC functions. We gave it to the
    folks who attended Werni's Geos meeting in Switzerland in June (or July)
    of '98.

    We've made the app and Dirk's routines file available for free download
    at www.breadbox.com.

    John ;-)

    RayW20 wrote:

    > Is anyone around (besides me) still playing with NewBasic at all?
    >
    > If so, would any of you be interested in a grass roots effort aimed at creating
    > a complete library of functions? By complete, I'm generally suggesting an
    > implementation of all (at least all that make sense) of the functions available
    > elsewhere in GEOS (Calc, File, system, etc).
    >
    > I think that NewBasic has been branded with a bad rep for its many limitations,
    > but in spite these limits, it can still be used to do some pretty useful stuff
    > ... especially if you get any satisfaction from creating your own programs. I
    > have always found though that even on simple projects, I tend to spend a fair
    > amount of time writing code for stuff that one would often expect to be handled
    > via a simple function call. Given more functions, simple projects would really
    > be simple.
    >
    > I actually started a solo private effort toward a library last fall, but got
    > side tracked way before completion by a host of other time demanding
    > activities. I think I'm ready to get back to it. Most of what I have done (and
    > will be doing) isn't very fancy and is just a series of quick and dirty beta
    > implementations. The code is kind of ugly, but they work. I figure that over
    > time I'll eventually get around to cleaning them up. The real beauty of
    > functions is that no matter how ugly they internally, they are cool if they
    > reliably return the desired results.
    >
    > So ... s anyone else interested in a community effort? An exchange of ideas
    > would no doubt speed up the evolutionary code cleanup process too. Either way
    > (solo or community effort), I'll try to post what I have on TVA Katter in the
    > next couple of weeks.
    >
    > Being the hopeless optimist that I am, I'm kind of hoping that if there is some
    > programing activity in the user ranks, maybe the gurus will be able to justify
    > making some system level improvements to NewBasic (like maybe printing). Of
    > course, I would not want to distract them from any ongoing work on a next
    > generation (PM and/or 32-bit) version of GEOS.
    >
    > Ray Washington

  5. Re: NewBasic Function Library

    Let us know how your NB adventures go. I'm certain you'll find it as bug
    filled as an anthill.

    "Ray Washington" wrote in message
    > GREAT!
    >
    > Thanks Garrett, Thomas, and John ... it looks like we have a quorum.

    Thanks to
    > John too, for pointing out the functions available from BreadBox's

    download
    > site. That will make for a great headstart!
    >
    > I haven't downloaded it yet, but I will as soon as I signoff here.

  6. Re: NewBasic Function Library

    rayw20@aol.com (Ray Washington) wrote in

    > GREAT!
    >
    > Thanks Garrett, Thomas, and John ... it looks like we have a quorum.

    Tossed together a dedicated NDO box here for this, got NewBasic installed
    and ready, looked at some of the examples and it all looks familiar.

    So just yell when you need me to do something.

    -Garrett

  7. Re: NewBasic FUnction Library

    Thomas and Garrett,

    I'm going to be away on vacation for the next week, but I eMailed you some
    stuff re our NB function library project. Most of what I sent should be fairly
    useful, but I'd like to test it some more and clean it up a little before
    uploading it to TVA Katter. Thanks for your interest and support. Hopefully,
    after we upload the first batch, we'll get some more interested users.

    Ray Washington

  8. Re: NewBasic FUnction Library

    Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    > I have, I know NB pretty well, but I am also a lousy programmer, so I
    > don't know how much help I can be. But I have the time to help
    > (unemployed again again again), so feel free to contact me.

    You are *not* a lousy programmer :-)

    med svendlig hilsen (or so..)

+ Reply to Thread