Re: GEOS SDK - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: GEOS SDK - GEOS ; Seems to be an odd overkill, just buy any hardware MP3 player (CD or whaterver) and jack it in into the line in jacket of the global PC. Otherwise you can test if the Global PC will be sufficent to ...

  1. Re: GEOS SDK

    Seems to be an odd overkill, just buy any hardware MP3 player (CD or whaterver)
    and jack it in into the line in jacket of the global PC.
    Otherwise you can test if the Global PC will be sufficent to play MP3 files
    from, by making a bootable DOS diskette, boot the global PC with that disk
    and run any DOS command line MP3 player from the harddive with any MP3 file
    you have downloaded with GEOS. If you want to try this I can e-mail you a
    486 MP3-player. If this works, you can ask for a MP3-player for the Global
    PC. The hardware is no problem, if you CAN play MP3 files with the DOS player.

    BR,
    Hans

    hyubso wrote:
    > why not just build a computer with a hardware mp3 player chip (ie: add
    > an mp3 chip to the global pc).. then program for geos a method of
    > controlling a hardware mp3 player with contorls like stop, play fast
    > forwad reverse, skip, record, etc), just like geos cd player software
    > controls music CDS played in pc cdrom drives.
    >

    > John Howard wrote:
    > >

    > > Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    > > done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    > > Geos32 gets here.
    > >
    > > John ;-)

  2. Re: GEOS SDK

    this was just one "idea" or "concept" to make more marketable and
    useful geos based/global pc types of products.. ie; being able to do
    more of the same things windows pcs do all in software , but more
    reliably using cheap and OS agnostic specialty hardware partnered with
    less expensive/less powerful processors, all controlled by simpler but
    just as effective geos apps ...

    when the customer asks "can it record/play mp3s?" or 'can it record/play
    TV shows?" the sales person should not have to answer "no" and lose
    the sale. had such features been built into the GPC (which was
    locked into using geos sosftare only with no realistic option to install
    and effectively run windows ), maybe the GPC would have sold rather
    than piled up in warehouses, and myturn might have survived??

    but your suggestion to just plug my mp3/cd player into the gpc line in
    jack is valid, but i can listen directly from the player using
    headphones or by pluggin it intothe line in jack on my stereo, which has
    better speakers and a more powerful amplifier than the gpc.

    finally, an example of using hardware rather than windwos software to do
    a job..: my mpeg tv capture card.. i first tried a software based
    WinTV PCIcard on my old duron 950.. and the mpeg tv shows degraded into
    awful messes of pixels and artifacts as recording stretched past 10
    minutes in length.. i then bought a hardware mpeg card (creative video
    blaster) and it had no trouble making perfect recordings of TV shows on
    the same pc.. and its simple windows app (which looks more like a dos
    app)like dos) seems to just control the card and nothing more.. all
    mpeg processing is done in hardware.. couldn't a geos based app, if it
    existed, control this card just as well???

    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > Seems to be an odd overkill, just buy any hardware MP3 player (CD or whaterver)
    > and jack it in into the line in jacket of the global PC.
    > Otherwise you can test if the Global PC will be sufficent to play MP3 files
    > from, by making a bootable DOS diskette, boot the global PC with that disk
    > and run any DOS command line MP3 player from the harddive with any MP3 file
    > you have downloaded with GEOS. If you want to try this I can e-mail you a
    > 486 MP3-player. If this works, you can ask for a MP3-player for the Global
    > PC. The hardware is no problem, if you CAN play MP3 files with the DOS player.
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > hyubso wrote:
    >
    >>why not just build a computer with a hardware mp3 player chip (ie: add
    >>an mp3 chip to the global pc).. then program for geos a method of
    >>controlling a hardware mp3 player with contorls like stop, play fast
    >>forwad reverse, skip, record, etc), just like geos cd player software
    >>controls music CDS played in pc cdrom drives.
    >>

    >>John Howard wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    >>>done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    >>>Geos32 gets here.
    >>>
    >>>John ;-)

  3. Re: GEOS SDK

    I think specialized hradware isn't bad. But a CPU for MP3 shouldn't used for
    that purpose only. It can be a DSP (like the nice ones from TI), have very
    low power consumption and therefor produce lower heat. A 486 power scale
    processor with a DSP can control the GUI, media player and even do video
    cutting. There's still specialized hardware for professional video editing
    used in the world. And games can use mostly the graphic chip. Now, the CPU
    does only KI and data moving. Better DMA and an implementation of the KI
    part like T&L into the graphic chip will make the main CPU useless ... ;-))

    Andreas

+ Reply to Thread