Re: GEOS SDK - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: GEOS SDK - GEOS ; Well, I think the main problem with MP3 in GEOS is that GEOS is 16-bit, as John points out. There is DOS MP3 players that works on 486 CPUs, and this shows that there is no absolute need for Pentium ...

  1. Re: GEOS SDK

    Well, I think the main problem with MP3 in GEOS is that GEOS is 16-bit,
    as John points out. There is DOS MP3 players that works on 486 CPUs, and
    this shows that there is no absolute need for Pentium processors. OTOH, how
    many uses 486 CPUs today? OTOH, it is nice to have slim and well-optimized
    code in programs which will work on 486 computers, as this will give option
    to multitask better on pentium platforms.

    BR,
    Hans

    John Howard wrote:
    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > Well, to program in Geos you'll need to know either C or Assembly. All
    > the guts of Geos (including the major office apps) is written in
    > Assembly. The vast majority of 3rd party apps are written in C with a
    > layer of extra Geos keywords and object oriented stuff added to it.
    >
    > And I agree that the hardest part of learning a new programming language
    > is the syntax. After all - most programming is just managing variables,
    > loops and branches.
    >
    > Yup, I'm one of the Breadbox guys. There has already been some work
    > done on developing an MP3 player for Geos, but it has been shelved until
    > Geos32 gets here.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >

    > James Lawrie wrote:
    >
    > > Howdy,

    > [snip]
    >

    > > No, C is far to strange for me to learn I've tried it once and I was

    lost.
    > > Kinda like learning a foreign lanuage - had no luck at that either.

    I think
    > > the hardest part is the syntax. Pascal was like dBase and I picked it

    up
    > > quickly.
    > >
    > > Aren't you the man from Breadbox? My main reason to try my hand at the

    GEOS
    > > SDK was the desire to try to develop a MP3 player. Nothing fancy, something
    > > like the one for Windows 3.1, would like to use it while working with

    NDO
    > > 3.2a.
    > >
    > > Jim

  2. Re: GEOS SDK

    Howdy,

    I have a good dos MP3 player (mpxplay) but I can't run it and use NDO at the
    same time. If there was a native geos version like the CD player then I
    could listen to music while I type a letter or use the spreadsheet.

    Even though it's 16bit, a simple MP3 player shouldn't be a problem if
    someone had the time to write it. I'm not looking for fancy graphics or a
    superduper EQ, just the ability to select a playlist and player controls
    like the CD app. I managed to get the sound drivers (sb16) from NDO2000
    working in NDO 3.2a and they work well for what apps support sound.

    There may be no need for a Pentium, but it's like a car. You can get by with
    a 4 cylinder, but a V8 will give more driving pleasure.

    Jim

    news:NewsReader.1.0.2003716321263522560@news1.teli a.com...

+ Reply to Thread