Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS ; hyubso wrote: > as far as i know, which is not much here, winXP home and Pro are > identical except for networking capabilities, which is only a big deal > if you NEED that fancy networking capability.. Well, Microsoft ...

  1. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    hyubso wrote:
    > as far as i know, which is not much here, winXP home and Pro are
    > identical except for networking capabilities, which is only a big deal
    > if you NEED that fancy networking capability..

    Well, Microsoft crippled Home in the networking capabilities, compared to
    every version after Win 3.x. This is not a minor issue, if you ever consider
    networking. I consider the networking support half-assed in Home. It's peer-to-peer
    networking, like in Netware lite/Personal Netware. Buy Pro!

    > apparently XPhome was
    > just a dumbed down version of XPpro so Microsoft would not be "giving
    > away the store", so to speak, having businesses buying low cost pcs with
    > full network featured cheapo windows licenses already installed on them.

    Well, they gave the store away in earlier versions, then .......

    > if a small business is currently using a windows98 workgroup for
    > networking, then XPhome would be fine and XPpro a big waste of money,
    > right???

    Well, in the prespective of the network only, minus all the improvements
    in XP, I would prefer Windows 98 or Millenium, to XP Home Edition. The real
    upgrade to Windows9x/ME is XP Pro. In XP Home you have to login to the shared
    network resources server by server, except for the Windows workgroups, which
    will only work in Windows98SE/ME, in Pro this works seemlessly. I have a
    client that made the mistake buying a couple of computers with XP Home. These
    computers are attached to a SMB network, there are three servers on the network,
    to use three network resources in XP Home they have to login four times,
    one for the computer, one for the printer, one for the fileserver and one
    for the programserver. In Pro there is only one login, as in Windows 95,
    98 and Millenium. At first, discovering this, I was convinced that I have
    made an error, looking back and forth, consulting a colleague. He could not
    find any error in the setup, and I even consulted our Microsoft MCSE, he
    just confirmed this behaviour in XP Home. Buy Pro, never buy XP Home when
    doing networking, was his answer. This makes me wonder what other issues
    there are, too.

    Well, this might be fixed by a script in XP Home, but who wants to put up
    the passwords in plain text? I am also unsure weather XP Home supports batch/cmd-scripting?

    > some of these new pcs are real bargains when you buy them on holiday
    > sales specials like on Thanksgiving day here in the US.. for $200
    > you can get a whole new pc inlcuding the windows XP home license. am
    > planning on one or two such purchases for this year...

    Well, do it, seems to be a good price, but now you know what might happen......

    BR,
    Hans

    > Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > > Well, that is the BIG difference what I recall. Compare Home to previous
    > > versions like Windows 9x or ME, and you will see what I mean.Try to

    join
    > > Home to an SMB network and see what happens, then you will understand,

    why
    > > you should avoid Home, or if you have broadband internet and plan to

    setup
    > > some kind of internet server. If you go XP, Pro is the choice, then

    you will
    > > avoid unpleasant surprises.
    > >
    > > BR,
    > > Hans
    > >
    > > hyubso wrote:
    > >
    > >>how do the two differ other than in networking/being able to join domains?

  2. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    In news:NewsReader.1.0.20037163037722720@news1.telia. com,
    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    | hyubso wrote:

    | I have a client that
    | made the mistake buying a couple of computers with XP Home. These
    | computers are attached to a SMB network, there are three servers on
    | the network, to use three network resources in XP Home they have to
    | login four times, one for the computer, one for the printer, one for
    | the fileserver and one for the programserver. In Pro there is only
    | one login, as in Windows 95, 98 and Millenium. At first, discovering
    | this, I was convinced that I have made an error, looking back and
    | forth, consulting a colleague. He could not find any error in the
    | setup, and I even consulted our Microsoft MCSE, he just confirmed
    | this behaviour in XP Home. Buy Pro, never buy XP Home when doing
    | networking, was his answer. This makes me wonder what other issues
    | there are, too.

    Just my perspective, but what you're describing isn't so much a problem
    with Home as a problem with an office that really didn't buy the correct
    tools for the job. Happens all the time, unfortunately.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread