Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition - GEOS ; Well, that is the BIG difference what I recall. Compare Home to previous versions like Windows 9x or ME, and you will see what I mean.Try to join Home to an SMB network and see what happens, then you will ...

  1. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    Well, that is the BIG difference what I recall. Compare Home to previous
    versions like Windows 9x or ME, and you will see what I mean.Try to join
    Home to an SMB network and see what happens, then you will understand, why
    you should avoid Home, or if you have broadband internet and plan to setup
    some kind of internet server. If you go XP, Pro is the choice, then you will
    avoid unpleasant surprises.

    BR,
    Hans

    hyubso wrote:
    > how do the two differ other than in networking/being able to join domains?
    >
    > Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > > Which verson of XP do you use? Home or Professional?

  2. Re: Breadbox Ensemble Petition

    as far as i know, which is not much here, winXP home and Pro are
    identical except for networking capabilities, which is only a big deal
    if you NEED that fancy networking capability.. apparently XPhome was
    just a dumbed down version of XPpro so Microsoft would not be "giving
    away the store", so to speak, having businesses buying low cost pcs with
    full network featured cheapo windows licenses already installed on them..

    if a small business is currently using a windows98 workgroup for
    networking, then XPhome would be fine and XPpro a big waste of money,
    right???

    some of these new pcs are real bargains when you buy them on holiday
    sales specials like on Thanksgiving day here in the US.. for $200
    you can get a whole new pc inlcuding the windows XP home license. am
    planning on one or two such purchases for this year...

    Hans Lindgren wrote:
    > Well, that is the BIG difference what I recall. Compare Home to previous
    > versions like Windows 9x or ME, and you will see what I mean.Try to join
    > Home to an SMB network and see what happens, then you will understand, why
    > you should avoid Home, or if you have broadband internet and plan to setup
    > some kind of internet server. If you go XP, Pro is the choice, then you will
    > avoid unpleasant surprises.
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > hyubso wrote:
    >
    >>how do the two differ other than in networking/being able to join domains?
    >>
    >>Hans Lindgren wrote:
    >>
    >>>Which verson of XP do you use? Home or Professional?

+ Reply to Thread